Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AW 50CC Bipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default AW 50CC Bipes

Can anyone compare the Aero-Works 50CC Ultimate to the AW 50CC Pitts? Looking at flight charactoristics. I want to do some 3D and hovering, but would like crisp 4 point rolls , good flat spins, smooth rolling cirles and loops.

Thanks, david
Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AW 50CC Bipes

Don't forget to read up on the wing failure's

[&o]

Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Pitts and its a hoot to fly but precision is really found in the Utilmate. You go to the IMAC events around this area and its just full of AW Ultimates. I've flown the AW Ultimate briefly and can tell you it is much better at precision rolls and loops than the Pitts. The Pitts has got great snaps and I'd say both have good spins. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably buy the Ultimate. Jerry.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 AM
daveopam

Thanks for the help guys. I know there have been a few wing failures, but the percentage is low. I am not 100% decided at this point. This would be my first 50cc plane so I want to do it right.

Thanks again, David
Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Python. It has quite a bit of coupling, pulling hard to the belly, on KE flight both directions. Hovering is not as easy as with a Yak.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I have the 50cc AW Ultimate and fly sport pattern/aerobatic with a desire to do a little 3D. Like the previous poster said about the Python, the Ultimate also pulls hard to the LG in KE, but I have a rearward CG contributing to that coupling. Still working that out, but the Ult sure flies like a pattern plane on rails, doing the KE, all types of rolls, loops, rolling circles, spins very smoothly and crisply. I have done very little harrier rolls with it, but am getting it and I bet a good 3D pilot would find it easy with the plane. I had some reservations during the first flights about the wing failure reported by one or two pilots. I have been monitoring my plane closely. I have 20 flights and am now forgetting about the issue...my wings are solid, but I inspect them on every outing as I assemble and disassemble the plane. I was contemplating the AW Pitts Python too but the AW Ultimate had a slight edge for me, and I don't even know why anymore. I think either one would have made me real happy, but I absolutely enjoy my Ult now that I have it. Jon
Old 10-23-2011, 05:33 PM
daveopam

Thanks everyone for the replies. After carefull consideration,I think I am going away from a bipe to a 50CC AJSlick from 3DHS.
While I am still a huge fan of both bipes, it is really all out performance that is keeping me from going bipe.

Thanks again, David
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't say that to Chip Hyde. He spoke pretty well for himself at a few Tournament of Champions events with a big Ultimate his Dad built. Bill Hempel will clean your clock with his Pitts.

A Pitts in just about any flavor will not fly precision as well as a good Ultimate. The latest Aeroworks 300 Ultis have some excellent moments that would, in the hands of a practiced flyer, make for one helluva precision machine. You want crisp rools, point and motion? Go the bipe. I don't think you will be all that pleased with the finish on the 3DHS kits, but you will be ecstatic with the Aeroworks finish.

Don't fear the bipes. They are extremely reqarding for the person that wants to, like anything else, take the time to dial one in. Especially a well designed Ultimate, wich the Aeroworks definately is. I don't normally say great things about Aeroworks stuff but the Ultimate hit a home run.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:15 AM
daveopam

Thanks TOM. I got a chance to wring out a H9 46% Ult in September. It was one of the best flying planes I have had my thumbs on. If I knew the 50cc ULT was that good, it would not be a question. I just think at this point a monoplane is the right choice for me.

Thanks again, David