Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 w/G2300 Questions....

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 w/G2300 Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 w/G2300 Questions....

Okay guys and gals,

I am back into the hobby after a 20 year lay-off. I am building some slow mover stuff to help me ease back into it. This whole 3D thing has me very interested. I have two 48" span birds going together along with a 330L electric for the backyard stuff.

But my two big scale babies are the Seagull Ultimate I'd like to install the G2300 with smoke and I am scratch building a 91" Santich Hots with a G3250.
On the Seagull, will the 2300 be enough engine for this bird? And what do you guys reccomend for servos?

Thanks for any input you are kind enough to share.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Ultimate Bi-Plane 90 w/G2300 Questions....

I had a SG Ult. Mine was powered by a Saito 1.25 I thought it lacked a little power. The guy I sold it to put a GMS 1.20 two stroke in it. It had more power for sure. The weight is the problem. With the big Tigre you are talking about, it is going to be over loaded IMHO. Especially when you talk about adding smoke. Under power it will burn holes in the sky, just be prepared for a fast landing. If you do have a dead stick, hang on. Ults don't glide well to start with. When they are heavy a dead stick landing is literally pointing the nose down at 45 degrees and flaring at the last second. Back when the Goldbergs 1st came out. A friend had two that were Enya 1.2 powered with smoke. I had to dead stick one of these once. It's not any fun. Small gas powered planes are all the rage right now. Look at the DLE-20 for your Seagull. It would be a great combo.
Servos are what you want to spend. I have three sport planes with Futaba 3305 servos. These are metal gear, fairly strong and less than $40.They are not real precise, but what i do with them it make no difference.
Welcome back BTW.

David
Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I had a SG Ult. Mine was powered by a Saito 1.25 I thought it lacked a little power. The guy I sold it to put a GMS 1.20 two stroke in it. It had more power for sure. The weight is the problem. With the big Tigre you are talking about, it is going to be over loaded IMHO. Especially when you talk about adding smoke. Under power it will burn holes in the sky, just be prepared for a fast landing. If you do have a dead stick, hang on. Ults don't glide well to start with. When they are heavy a dead stick landing is literally pointing the nose down at 45 degrees and flaring at the last second. Back when the Goldbergs 1st came out. A friend had two that were Enya 1.2 powered with smoke. I had to dead stick one of these once. It's not any fun. Small gas powered planes are all the rage right now. Look at the DLE-20 for your Seagull. It would be a great combo.
Servos are what you want to spend. I have three sport planes with Futaba 3305 servos. These are metal gear, fairly strong and less than $40.They are not real precise, but what i do with them it make no difference.
Welcome back BTW.

David
Thanks for your insight David. I am very inclined to look very seriously at the DLE-20. The more I think about what you said about the glide ratio of the ultimate, I thinki prefer the gas motor. I do like that it is only a little less HP than the G2300, yet is nearly 1lb lighter.

I have a brand new Pro Boat Shockwave 36 in the classifieds and if I can unload that, I will absolutely purchase the DLE-20. I'd just buy one outright now, but Momma's sense of humor about airplanes is getting thin since I decided to get back in. It's like Christmas here everyday with all the building tools, parts, kits, motors & radios coming in! If I don't unload a few items before another engine shows up, I may have to construct a dog house!

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

No problem Taz. Tell Momma the DLE burns $4 a gallon gas and the Tigre burns $20 a gallon glow fuel. If you fly a lot you will the difference in a hurry.

david