Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Mounting a Dual Miracle Switch With Fuel Dot ???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Mounting a Dual Miracle Switch With Fuel Dot ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a Dual Miracle Switch With Fuel Dot ???

Maybe it's because I have been out of the hobby for a while, maybe it's because I am getting old...
I am struggling to find a solid, reasonably quick method to mount my Dual Miracle Switch. Anyone have an photos of thier installation?

I need this up forward towards the nose (for CG reasons) and the only places I have available the openings in the fuse are too large or too small. I started making small lite-ply frame templates and I am just stumped as to how/where I should mount this puppy. This is going in a 30cc MX2.

Any help would be appreciated. I am starting to think two smaller switches may be a better idea instead of this one large one.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mounting a Dual Miracle Switch With Fuel Dot ???

I mounted one in the instrument panel of this Flybaby. You can barely see it in this photo, but it just seemed like right place to mount it. If I were mounting the switch on the fuselage side, I would go with two traditional switches because the Miracle switch is so large.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34176.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1768485  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Russmall

I mounted one in the instrument panel of this Flybaby. You can barely see it in this photo, but it just seemed like right place to mount it. If I were mounting the switch on the fuselage side, I would go with two traditional switches because the Miracle switch is so large.
Gorgeous install, I love it. Nice pool deck too! Thanks for the photo.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

nice install....sweet looking bird....
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I'd do some research, I recall hearing some issues with those MPI switches.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, something to do with the solder joints not being done very well. I had another style of MPI switch almost lose me an airplane, so I shy away from them. I would definitely check them out before flying your sweet new plane.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

Yeah, something to do with the solder joints not being done very well. I had another style of MPI switch almost lose me an airplane, so I shy away from them. I would definitely check them out before flying your sweet new plane.
Now maybe I am wrong here, but from the research I have done, there are two "Miracle Switches" One made by MPI and one by "Miracle or MRC". Similar switch name, different company is what I have been told.

This is the MPI Miracle switch -

And this is the MRC Miracle Switch -

Am I correct on this?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, that is correct. The MRC miracle switch, which is marketed by more than a few brands, has problems with the way the leads are soldered and unsupported. In addition, thay have been known to have the actual switch fail. ASdd to that that they are ugly and gawdy, and you'll be miles ahead with the real miracle switch.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

Yes, that is correct. The MRC miracle switch, which is marketed by more than a few brands, has problems with the way the leads are soldered and unsupported. In addition, thay have been known to have the actual switch fail. ASdd to that that they are ugly and gawdy, and you'll be miles ahead with the real miracle switch.
Funny how differently we R/C'ers "see" things. I personally felt the MPI looked like any other cheap black plastic $6.00 switch and the nice anodized cnc machined aluminum one looked like a far superior piece!
I will be encasing the rear of the toggles with clear silicone to prevent vibration on the solder joints, but I hate to say it, I think I am stuck with the switch I have. I already made the neccesary concessions for it to fit.

I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board. My Ultimate that I wanted to maiden with my MX2 was also slated to use the "gawdy" (lol) switch. Back to the drawing board...

Thanks!