Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Trimming issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming issues?

I have a goldwing/redwing 30cc MX2.. which I love to bits..
However... when carrying out any "elevator up" manouver (loop, etc) it will yaw left.

I have found that I even have naturally starte to add right rudder on any manouvers...
Its not "violent" biut after a complete loop (large) I do end up very far away from where I "should be"

Its really screwing up basic manouvers such as loop, fig8 even just going into vertical for a stall turn etc..

I've tried to give a mid-range trim.. ie not too far forward that I cant do any 3d playing, but not too far back that its completely wild.

Ideas?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Trimming issues?

Read and follow the attached file.
They are from Peter Goldsmith.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us52636.pdf (51.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf
Je10124.pdf (343.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
ceecrb1

yeah i've read that.. and I cant see the problem I am talking about....... pull on the elevator and it yaws....
Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do both elevator halves have the same amount of travel and perfectly in sync with each other?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

When you pull up elevator it is drag and will want to slow the airplane down. This puts more load on the prop and increases your torque value. This torque is pulling the nose to the left. Very common with high powered scale aerobatic airplanes. You can reduce this effect by running a tad more right thrust and/or a smaller dia prop. The test I do is from 1/2 throttle, pull vertical while flying away from yourself and being a full throttle by the time you have true vertical. Note which way the airplane pulls. If it pulls left right away or pulls left before climbing 100-150 feet then add more right thrust. Also at the start of the manuver you should be wings level, very easy to have one wing low and not see it.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
ceecrb1

Yeah I can guarantee that wings are level.. this is a long running problem and I've tried it over and over to make sure.
I can visually see it yawing left as it raises the nose.... its most pronounced doing a large loop... once in a vertical climb it stays there... its only when I raise elevators..

yes I've checked the elevator throws with a digital level..

I'm most inclined to agree with the drag letting torque have more effect... seem possible..

I know I COULD just mix rudder into the elevator.. but I'd rather fix it aerodynamically have have things smoother than fight against aerodynamics all the time... plus that mix would later mess around with any hover corrections or similar manouvers....