Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DA-50R or G-62 for 300 Special?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA-50R or G-62 for 300 Special?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:34 AM
plane-o-joe
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA-50R or G-62 for 300 Special?

[] I'm new to gas and I need help deciding which motor I should go with. Both seem to have good quality and the customer support for both seem similar. What other factors should I consider besides the price? (I believe you get what you pay for!) Are there other motors that I should consider? Also, what support equipment should I be putting together? Please include where the equipment can be found.

Thanks,
Plane-O-Joe
Old 03-23-2004, 03:59 PM
astro

Default RE: DA-50R or G-62 for 300 Special?

[:-] Hi, plane-o-joe. Welcome to the real r/c flying. If it is between the DA 50 or G-62 and you have not bought either yet. Go with the DA50 . May look at the BME 50,( my choice). When talking with any of the co. , they can tell you what support equ. you will need.
www.bmeengine.com BME 44-50:: www.desertaicraft.com DA50 www.catusavation.com 3-w 50;; rcshowcase.com ZDZ 40-60
Old 03-23-2004, 05:32 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The official Wild Hare position is that the G62 is an excellent engine, use it if you already have one. I suggest that you convert it to electronic ignition and use a lighter weight muffler and the B&B cup mount. The engine/mount/ignition is $560 if you buy this combo it new for comparison purposes.

But if you are going to buy a new engine you'll spend less and have a lighter result with another engine.

The Brison 3.2 that we sell is $469 and includes the syncro-spark timing control, and probably makes as much power as the G62 and 3/4 pound less weight.

The DA 50r is $549 and a pound lighter than the G62 and roughly the same power.

Tom Fawcett
Old 03-23-2004, 06:55 PM
plane-o-joe

Tom, I read your post at least three times. I've come to the conclusion that you should run for that public office. I'm going with the DA-50R. Thanks for the reply's.

Plane-O-Joe
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

OOOOOh, your right, that is a exceedingly Smoooooth explanation now, isn't it?

Yup, he gets my vote...
Senator Fawcett....How's that ring, Tom? ;^)
Old 03-23-2004, 09:52 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: BackAfter30

OOOOOh, your right, that is a exceedingly Smoooooth explanation now, isn't it?

Yup, he gets my vote...
I don't get it, that wasn't evasive! I just said that if you have one, invest $150 and it will be a great engine. BUt if you have to spend $500+ get something a little more sporty.

Senator Fawcett. Hmmm. Would I have to take bribes? Not that I object, bribes are OK for me.

TF
Old 03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Senator Fawcett,

How much of a bribe would you need

to place me first on the list for a 28% RAPTOR?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

No no no, you got us all wrong, Senator.
You weren't evasive, just smoooooth. I had forgotten you were carrying the Brison line up.
I really love my Brison 3.2, it has the most rapid throttle response I've seen in a gasser, and pulls the DP Extra vertical like I was drag racing. Easiest starting engine I have ever owned.
I just hope my DA~50 loosens up as good as the Brison when it gets broke in.
This past weekend was just perfect flying for the WH Edge/DA~50...just a wee bit of mixing and KE was arrow straight both ways.
Incredibly stable in harrier, too.
I let everyone fly it, expect a few more orders this week.
Thanks, Senator.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 AM
plane-o-joe

I don't get it, that wasn't evasive! I just said that if you have one, invest $150 and it will be a great engine. BUt if you have to spend $500+ get something a little more sporty.

If you are going to buy a new engine you'll spend less and have a lighter result with....drum roll....ANOTHER ENGINE! Come on everyone has a preference Senator Fawcett.

Thanks,
Plane-O-Joe
Old 03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
rctom

ORIGINAL: flier

Senator Fawcett,

Well now that you've tried to bribe me in front of the whole world,

I'm shocked at such a proposal. Shocked I say.

TF
Old 03-24-2004, 01:13 PM
rctom

Come on everyone has a preference Senator Fawcett.
OK, I prefer flying with my G62. The extra weight makes the plane a little more stable, I like the engine's very fast response, and it's nice and quiet.

So shoot me.

TF
Old 03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rctom

ORIGINAL: flier

Senator Fawcett,

Well now that you've tried to bribe me in front of the whole world,

I'm shocked at such a proposal. Shocked I say.

TF
So, how much EXTRA for being skocked now?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:19 AM
plane-o-joe

ORIGINAL: rctom

Come on everyone has a preference Senator Fawcett.
OK, I prefer flying with my G62. The extra weight makes the plane a little more stable, I like the engine's very fast response, and it's nice and quiet.

So shoot me.

TF
When it comes down to it, you always give us what were looking for including good information. That's why I purchased a plane from you Mr. Fawcett.

Thanks,
Plane-O-Joe
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 PM
HarleyRider
My Feedback: (10)

This past week we have had some beautiful flying weather. Wind has been a problem but my WH Edge 540 pays little attention to it.

I am using a G62 and it does anything I am able to do with very little effort. I am not a true 3D flyer but I do enjoy trying new things. On take off this airplane tracks straight down the runway with just a touch of left rudder. It tracks in the air very well and has more vertical than I will ever need. I use a 22/10/6 prop and this seems to do very well. My weight is a shade over nineteen pounds. Landings are more like a Ultra Stk 120. I am not afraid to let any of the guys at my flying have some stick time if they have progressed out of the trainer stage. So far no bad habits and I will add it is one of the best flying airplanes that I have owned.

I have a WH Extra in the March shipment and I will try a BME50 in it. If it is not to my liking I will purchase another G62. The key to having a great running G62 is to install electronic ign.

Customer service with WH is the best in our hobby.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:13 PM
AeroDave

My question is: Will the edge hover and harier with a stock G62? looking at this airplane mainly because of the recommended use of an engine I already have, a stock G62. So what do you think?
Old 04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
rctom

ORIGINAL: AeroDave

My question is: Will the edge hover and harier with a stock G62? looking at this airplane mainly because of the recommended use of an engine I already have, a stock G62. So what do you think?
Using an electronic ignition it should be able do all this stuff if it runs right.

TF
Old 04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
HarleyRider

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I really did not have a good answer until today. After many weeks of more wind than I like to deal with we got a great day with very little wind.

My flying buddies and I met at the flying field for a great day of flying. I was flying my WH Edge 540 and the first thing I tried was the hover. I had no problem to hover with half throttle. The Edge would climb out of the hover fine but not as fast as some other engines may have done. I can't answer how it will do the harriers. I am unable to do this.

I got in four flights today and each one was very enjoyable. Today I used a 20/6/10 prop
and it did fine. Satic run-up was 7600RPM. Give your G62 a try and I feel you will enjoy it very much. It is worth the money to change out the stock ign.

Hope this will help
Old 04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Nogyro

I've gotten some time on my Edge/g-62 combo now. It hovers just fine with LOTS of extra for pull out. I'm learning TR'ing now. It does an upright elevator with very little wing rock, and the inverted elevators are just something. No wing rock at all, dead solid, just use rudder for heading. A wall on high rates is great. It just "pops" right up, no wing dropping at all. Still learning the rudder inputs to keep the Waterfalls in line, but just as tight as can be. Does real good flat spins upright and inverted at just a click over idle. This might sound like a sales pitch, but after flying my Giant Stinger for 3 years with my G-62, this is the perfect next plane. My G-62 has had the electronic ignition installed by Ralph Cunningham. No more top end power, but much smoother idle, which I think is a must for a plane like this. After putting this one together, I already have an Extra coming out of this first batch. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:32 PM
AeroDave

thanks very much for the info. I did order the Extra Special. I've had my G62 on a couple of planes and it runs very well. No dead sticks and perfect transition for hundreds of flights. So far, however, the planes have had too little wing area to support the weight for good 3D, so all I could do was hover. it was kind of frustrating to be able to 3d easily with smaller planes, but my big ones just had to zoom around. I'm excited to be able to use this engine on a true 3D ship. Do you use a "cup mount?" If so, where can I get one? the only mount I've had was the aluminum plate that came with the motor.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Nogyro

Do you use a "cup mount?" If so, where can I get one? the only mount I've had was the aluminum plate that came with the motor.
Yes, I've got a B&B cup mount on mine. You can get one at http://www.bennettbuilt.com/ I did get the lightened wing tube and landing gear.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 PM
FreedomFlier
My Feedback: (8)

Here is another view of the engines we have been looking at. I have a more comprehensive spreadsheet if you are interested with additional engines and sizes into the 4.2 range. (including Fuji, 3W, etc.)

The baseline of these numbers is taken from my friends WH Edge. His plane came to 18.5 lbs dry. Of course a margin of error should also be considered for his scale accuracy. He is running a G62 with spring starter and B&B muffler. Pull-pull for the rudder. 4” Spinner. For the wet weights and wing loading numbers, I assumed a full 24 oz tank.

All other max engine weights assume
• Weights are also based on manufactures advertised weight.
• 800 mAh pack for electronic ignition units. ( ~4 oz)
• 4 oz for CH Ignition if not included in vendors advertised weight.
• .5 lbs for muffler
• Engine mount weight was added where applicable. (i.e Radial mount for Moki is 8 oz)

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79425.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	124858  
Old 04-22-2004, 07:46 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BackAfter30

Bad idea! If he becomes a senator, he will be too busy increasing taxes to have time to build airplanes.[:@]