Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA 50 vs. ZDZ 60

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 PM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 50 vs. ZDZ 60

Ok guys, I'm getting a wild hare edge (28%) and I'm thinking about getting a ZDZ 60 for it. How would this engine compare to the DA 50? I know they're two different sizes, but the DA as we all know is an all out powerhouse. Both engines cost about the same and the real is difference is the ZDZ weighs a little bit more. Plus it will balance with a pull-pull set up since a 3W 50 weighs 4.4 lbs. and will balance with pull-pull. So the weight change would be minimal. Any idea of what prop to run?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:15 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Default RE: DA 50 vs. ZDZ 60

I would go with the DA 50. Da is proven and you cant go wrong, or so I read. It is pretty much guaranteed. By the way. You need to get it flying and come on over here to henderson on the 23 and 24 of october for our flyin.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

Both are excellent engines , I recently sold a ZDZ 60 that I had in a H9 80" Cap and never had any problem.

The ZDZ weights a litle bit more, not much and can handle bigger props better.

epc.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:24 AM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

From what I've seen the DA is really no stronger than any of the other 50 cc. engines out there.The ZDZ 60 is stonger but well should be it's 10 cc. larger.The DA is an excellent engine but the ZDZ is also.Both have rear induction,so the mounting is the same.If you want to swing a bigger prop go with the ZDZ.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:38 AM
coony2787
My Feedback: (33)

I own both a DA and a ZDZ 50 , both are equal in power! Now the ZDZ beats the DA in throttle response hands down. Both are of equal wieght.

The wild hare comes out a little heavy. So i would be concerned about wieght if i was building one. The ZDZ 60 has more power it is suppost too.

Maybe a wild hare with all carbon fiber lightening componets and a ZDZ 60 would be really kewl . You wont be disatisfied with either engine ZDZ or a DA. I think it is more a Ford Chevy thing when comes to comparing these 2 fine engines.

Chad
Old 10-01-2004, 08:16 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

IF you even need service you will ge the DA back the same week, the ZDZ you will get back the same year.

If you have a question DA will talk your ear off until you are satisfied.

Bottom Line is DA built it's company on service that is unmatched. That is the reason I stick with DA's abovee all others
Old 10-01-2004, 08:42 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

I've owned 3 ZDZ's - an 80 twin (sold recently), 80 single and 40. All "good" motors, no issues other than it's tough to get the muffler to stay on the 80 single. I've also owned 2 DA 100's (sold one recently) and a DA 50. The most noticeable difference is when its time to mount the motor and hook up the linkage. DA is 100% better, the carb location on the ZDZ's is always a challange to get it properly mounted. The ZDZ comes w/o any linkage on the carb, you have to cut off part of the carb arm and make up the linkage. DA is 100% ready out of the box and uses SWB linkage. Power, probably about the same for cc's, throttle response goes to DA, workmanship goes to DA, service goes to DA, my future purchases will go to DA. Overall a better motor. A little more $$, but resale is better with DA as well. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:59 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

The weight you lose with the DA makes up the horsepower difference from the ZDZ 60, not to mention the usual with DA, customer service etc,etc, and it looks better
Old 10-01-2004, 10:59 AM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Ok, I went through this with the same plane.

DA50, BME50 and ZDZ60...

ZDZ was just untested at that time and I was just making up what I lost with the heavier engine in thrust.

BME was awful in support.

DA50 (my final choice) was just right. I love my DA and am glad that I went with it. THe Wild Hare edge just loves that engine. Admittedly the ZDZ's weight would make balancing easier... but I still like the reliability I can count on with the DA.

-Ian