Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 AM
vincentp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PRECISION AEROBATICS EDGE540T

Just got back from the field after maidening my edge

First flight was pretty scary, one of the elevator horns came loose (kinda hard to tighten without crushing the elevator) and the elevator was fluttering like crazy, was almost like flying with elevons! Got it down in one piece and sorted it out. Second flight, no drama, apart from the wheel spats cracking on landing (grass strip...). Third flight the landing was a little heavy, u/c just splayed. Bent it back, good to go again.

I'm using an MVVS45 witha bcm pits muffler, 22x8 Bolly wood prop. Started easy (new engine), ran great, a little rich, only getting 6470rpm. Doesn't quite seem to have the same pulling power as my DA50 on my GP extra. I'll leave it for a while and see how it goes once it's had some more fuel through it, if it doesn't improve I'll swap it out for my DA.

As for flying, I think it's a keeper Roll's very axial, just a touch of rudder on slow rolls. My C/G is in the middle of the range, still feels on the forward side but I'll leave it where it is for now.

Hmmm... think I'll take tomorrow off and go flying

Vincent.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 PM
leblanc

Hey guys,

It's been a while since anyone has written anything here... Any new updates? Videos, pics, flight reports? This is just a magnificent looking airplane!! Still going to get it this summer. I just like to read about it and looking at new pics of the quality and just for the fact of having new stuff coming up on it!!

So anything new, if not, could you post some flight reports?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Ron McGrath
My Feedback: (10)

What AXI motor are you using also What prop and batteries and how many amps are you drawing. I am thinking of doing a qq yak 85'' so I am also wondering about the 3D performance.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:46 PM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

I still love mine! It's actually going up for sale, though! The only reason I'm parting with it is to step up to something bigger. I have 33-35% on the brain now.

This really is an excellent all around plane. It has almost zero KE coupling and really accels at precision as well as 3D. It also does snaps better than any other Edge I've seen. Performance with the DA50 is obscene due to its light weight.

Attached is a pic a buddy of mine took on my phone while I was flying. I need to get some better pics before I sell it. [8D]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98021.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	471160  
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 PM
leblanc

Anybody else, this is such a nice airplane. Flight reports ect?

Thanks

LeBlanc
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
ttski
My Feedback: (5)

Anyone tried a ZDZ 40 on this plane? Any flight reports?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Precision Aerobatics

One of our old customers in Australia, installed ZDZ40 on his Edge and it flew very well with plenty of power, however, he had some problems with the engine's carbi or ignition so he ended up swapping the engine with Moki 2.1

Shaun

Precision Aerobatics Team
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 PM
flyingohio
My Feedback: (2)

I just maidened mine today, put 5 flights on it. Previously I had a WH Extra 300LX that died an ugly and stupid death, I have the PA Edge as a "stopgap" plane to get me thru the rest of the summer. (I hope) I have a DA50 on it, Hitec digitals, Du-Bro ball link hardware, etc. It's way too early to tell much of anything- and don't take my word on anything because I'm just an average pilot- but with the cg set at around 120mm it basically flies to my liking.

With much less wing area than my WH and at only about 8oz lighter, it will snap out of certain things if I use too much elevator, whereas the WH would just mush straight forward. It has to be "popped" and throttled up into a stall to prevent a wing from dropping. However I think this makes it fly a little more "real" instead of like a giant foamie. KE is nice with just a slight pitch to the gear, but rudder could use a little more authority IMO. (using a 5955TG, so it isn't that...) With 1.25" arms on the aileron servos, roll rate is blinding on high rates. On low rate it has a bit of a barrel motion to it, some differential is needed. Thrust angle seems pretty much spot on. I made one flight of nothing but landing approaches, it lands very well.

One bit of incredible luck, my rx lost power just as it touched down on the 3rd flight. It wouldn't steer and rolled into a field and flipped over. No damage. After I put it back on its wheels, I noticed none of the control surfaces were working. I replaced the switch and things were back to normal. How crazy is that??
Old 07-05-2006, 11:50 AM
AHPowelson

flyingohio,

What's your AUW? Mine ended up being a little over 15lb's (would have been 14lb but the engine box 'mod' added over a lb.. I'm not sure what the measurement was for my CG, but it was just behind the center of wing tube, IIRC. Mine was never snappy at all. The only time it ever snapped on me was when I did parachute on low-rates (oops). Other than that one time, I couldn't make it snap by yanking on the elevator. Make sure your elevator halves are moving perfectly in sync. You'll need all the throws you can get on the elevators to do clean walls, parachutes, elevators, etc.. The geometry is funky so it took awhile to get mine dialed in. I would have liked counterbalanced elevators but it's not a deal breaker.. I didn't need any differential in the aileron throws; very axial. this was the easiest plane to do a clean sloooooowww roll I've owned. Rudder authority was ok except for doing KE loops. Get it dialed in and it will be a keeper. [8D]

Abram

Old 07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
flyingohio
My Feedback: (2)

Mine is at 15lb 3oz. It has carbon gear, (heavier than stock) and an extra li-ion in the nose for balance reasons, so that's why it's a bit of a porker. My elevator servos travel almost exactly the same amount, within a mm or so by adjusting the linkages, I will have to use my programmer to get them perfect. Trouble is, one elevator servo moves slower than the other. Not sure why this is, but I'm sure that's the problem. But if I recall, the Hitec programmer can also be used to set the speed? I need to dig into it. Another flight this evening, flies great IMAC on low rates but with high rate elevator it has a wicked wing drop when attempting to enter a stall for any 3D stuff.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see someone likes this plane...I flew mine about 15 times...stripped it of all it had and bought a better plane. Cowl was paper thin (had to re-glass around screw holes 3 times), gear was rubber bands (bent while assembling the plane), canopy set up was a joke, and the hardware was weak at best. Uplines were waaayyy off, parachutes...what are those??? Tons of coupling too...

I admit, I fly 35-42% most of the time but bought this for my son and it was not that great.

I asked PA about all this and they said they felt they had a superior plane. I must have gotten one with a worm in it!!! Good luck to all.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Precision Aerobatics

We sold MMAANNYY planes and never got any complains as yours. The Edge is one of our best sellers with excellent feedbacks worldwide so I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with the model.

We upgraded the model a few times. The canopy now has pre-painted frame so no trimming tape is required. The hardware features new aluminum machined HD clevises with CF tail wheel assy, German made ball links and new cowling design to obscure the cylinder head better with improved intakes design. It is still lightweight as before. The engine box features laser marks for easy DA 50 installation!
I strongly believe that this model features one of the BEST hardware pack ever been offered with a model.

I don’t recall any emails from you.

Shaun

Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
rbxbear44

Hey Shaun,
I did send you 2 e-mails regarding the problems I had with the plane and you answered them promptly and professionally. You said the gear was made softer because 50cc pilots usually have a "harder landing" and it would give rather than that gear box and airframe. You said the cowl was made so thin for weight and you did say that you felt you had a very good product.

Either way, I expressed my experience and opinion which is what this Forum is all about and so did you. I have NO problem with Sales Reps and Owners on this domain, expressing their side and lending their expertise on any subject.

I was just not impressed at all with the bird nor were any of the members of our club! We have lots folks that fly your Elect. Katana and when they saw the Edge, they could not believe it came from you guys. Gave the frame away and put the electronics and motor in another plane that I am VERY happy with.

Regards,
Rbxbear44
Old 07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
planemom

love the edge, love the QQ Yak...miss it... disappeared at Joe Nall... call if you find.
this Sat. (2 days away) at RC World in Orlando... the last great FLY IN.... before those __ developers turn it into homes. Be there.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
drose300

Should have sold the plane like rbxbear44 did. After 15 flights I replaced the landing gear, bent almost everytime I landed. Replaced gear with Graphtech carbon fiber landing gear. After 80 flights the landing gear broke off, Block that holds landing gear on is glued to two formers that are 1.5" apart. To much leverage for the small block to hold the gear on. On the 112 th flight, Straight and level at 1/3 rd. throttle the tail started flapping. Almost had it turned around to land and tail broke off. Plane went in, nouthing else was hurt.
David
Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM
rbxbear44

Drose300...glad to hear you got to retrieve your radio gear and engine. Get back out there and "Git er dun!!!"

Rbxbear44
Old 07-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Precision Aerobatics

Drose 300

No offends but with such hard landings you should have checked the entire planes integrity. It is not a bullet proof. I am sure the tail feather was not loose when you received it. I personally check each and every plane before it leaves our factory.

You mentioned few bent and broken landing gears so I would check the plane before next flights.

Shaun

Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 AM
rbxbear44

Interesting response...
Old 07-22-2006, 11:01 AM
drose300

This plane had never had a hard landing. The stock landing gear would bend if the pland bounced a little, Like when you landed in the wind. Took stock gear off and bent in a horse shoe shape with my hands. Try doing that with hanger 9 landing gear. It looked like you built the plane and forgot about the landing gear block, oh well just glue a small block between two formers and you're done. Most planes interlock the block with the siderails and engine box. The tail was weak where it mounted to the fuse. Lighting holes looked to large in the side of fuse, mainly stringers holding tail on. Don't know how hanger 9 builds there tail, have'nt looked at it,never fell off.

David
Old 07-23-2006, 12:42 AM
spat cracker

Hey David,
Sorry to hear about your experience. Havn't checked the forum for a while but was surprised to see your post. I have had my PA edge for a long time and fly it vertually every weekend and love it to bits. All I can say about the LG is like you I didnot start off as a fan for the softer gear, but have since then become very fond of it. It has saved my plane several times. However it is (as is the rest of the plane) designed for a light set up. Initially I started off with heavy packs/pitts muffler etc and the LG didn't like it much. I dont know if this was the case with yours, but after I lightened my gear up (so it would fly better), I found the landing gear to be fine. As far as the strength of the model goes, I have snapped some models in half doing way less than the abuse I dish out to this one. Like I say, Iwas surprised to hear your comments. Hope you have better luck with your next one.

Jas
Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 AM
rbxbear44

I had a ZDZ50 in mine with as minimal a radio/battery package as possible. Maybe could have gone to a 40cc and saved a few oz's and gone to a smaller fule tank BUT come on...I have had 2 other 50cc planes that weighed even a few pounds more and they "CRANKED" on 3D and pattern. To me, weight is not an issue of gear strength...it relates to vertical power and performance in hovers, harriers and such. I have a 1/3 Chapmann CAP580 that is a brick on the scale BUT it is a monster in the air!!! Weighs more than any 1/3 scale plane I have owned or flown BUT flies better than any of them.

My PA Edge flew bad, had no "sweet spot" to dial in uplines, MAJOR coupling (tried all ranges of CG placement) and I constantly had to re-glass the cowl around the screws and straighten the landing gear.

It's just different strokes for different folks I guess. We all have our ideas...don't we?

Rb
Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
spat cracker

Actually, its the coupling problem you had that surprises me most. Mine has absolutly none what so ever, no matter how hard I push the stick. I have had several engines/set ups in mine now. Currently it has a 40cc and very light. Does it all and does it well, and really enjoy flying it. DA is going in my 1/3 pitts special which currently has my G62.....(speaking of flying bricks, but still loads of fun). I don't like bagging one brand over another, but I seem to get more joy out of my edge than the other 50cc pilots do (out of their planes) at our feild.

As you say, sometimes its just different planes for different pilots........still curious about that coupling though...

Jas
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
AHPowelson

Mine had virtually no coupling in KE flight and uplines were straight as an arrow. Mine was built straight and verified with an incidence meter. I put probably 100 flights on mine doing a mixture of precision and 3D and it still looked brand new when I sold it. I’d say it held up very well. I never had any cowl issues but I did replace the gear after a few flights. Out of the dozens of 50cc-sized planes at my field, it was one of the best.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Yep,
Old 07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
rbxbear44

Yea...we are in Chris Hinson world with Extreme Flight (he is a club member) and most of our 50cc'ers are his Yak. We have Lanier in our back yard too but not too many fliers with them. Aeroworks quickbuild 50cc Yak seems pretty popular in our club...good, heavy but good. Actually, the more I think about it, the 50cc's have thinned quite a bit. 100cc's taken over...mostly Comp-ARF which is pretty much what I have gone to. My SuperExtra had quite a bit of coupling only on KE's and needed programming but the uplines, downlines, hovers, harriers...MAN!!! Completely hands free on Rudder. Best plane I have ever flown. Everyone busts my chops though for flying the SuperExtra 3D.

Maybe I got a lemon on the PA Edge. I was so shocked at how bad the plane was, I was on the verge to ask for a refund from PA!!! Tried to get one from Troy Built where I got the plane but they didn't take the bait. So I stripped the plane out and gave the air frame away because I couldn;t get a soul at our club to pay money for it.

Rb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.