Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:40 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DA50- Anybody Having Trouble?

I saw my buddies Da50 distruct in mid air 3 months ago. autopsy found the piston broke. there is another thread that talks about the rod and bearing problems. I wonder what the new weight of the engine is with the steel rod, anybody know?

The truth is, it's human nature to defend what you own, nobody whats to admit their beloved engine has a flaw, especially when it's a DA !!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:52 AM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RICK9303 - Did you ever hear back from DA? If so, what did they say?

Dan
Old 01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

im not trying to champion there product just report my finding so other can make informed decisions mine is i would buy and use again for any 50cc apps
Old 01-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Wrong... it's NOT human nature to defend what you own...

While there are people who WILL not admit they made a mistake... VERY few people will repeat the mistake...

And the VAST majority of DA owners have bought or WILL buy another DA.

And you saw a DA destruct in the air? I don't doubt it. It happens with all kinds of engines. I've seen several engines not get the plane in the air. I saw one brand sieze up tighter than a drum. I've seen plenty poor pissed off NON-DA owners taking the cowl off EVERYTIME they were at the field. He'd get two great flights then it would start acting funky again. Or worse... tweak the engie at home... egt it to the field and it wouldn't start to save his life. I've even had my arm get so sore I gave up and went home... (with an engine NOT a DA).

But once I tired DA, I found out what 6 flips cold was like... enjoyed consistent performance at the field and have enjoyed this hobby like never before. And THAT my friend is why I got into it to begin with... to have fun, to fly and learn to fly better. And DA helpsem do just that by being dependable and powerful.

What amazes me is that people will go out of their way to make misleading statements about DA... like "my buddies DA" had a problem. Sounds to me like this was the only DA at the field.

If you haven't owned one, or havent seen SEVERAL club members have a problem with ANYTHING...I'd say you don't have enough experience to make such misleading statements.

You know what? I think YS engines suck hind ***... BIGTIME. I have owned SEVERAL and each and everyone was an absolutely BEAR to tune and get to running right. My recommendation is that a person not buy one. but do I go around to the YS threads and say "they suck?" No. There are plenty of people who love them, have had better success with them, adn swear by them.

I do mention in the course of a thread I'm involved in when someone asks whether to put a YS engine in his plane, I say... "This seems to be the engine of choice for this airframe, but I've not had much luck with several YS engines so I chose a Saito"

I am not sure why so MANY people have a beef with DA (and they haven't ever owned one). Is it because they cannot afford one? Get a G62 and live with the weight. Get a Brison... I don't care. Is it because it's too pretty? Is it too powerful? Too good of repuation and service? Or is it that you LIKE to tinker with engines at the field, curse your engine and head home glad you didn't have to risk your purdy little arf in the air. That would make sense, because with a DA... you're gonna get stick time... and lots of it.

But these little jabs at DA don't so anything but discredit the poster. It's pretty clear to anyone who goes to fly-ins that DA is the #1 choice, and we see these planes fly all day long. In fact, in 3 years.. I have NEVER personally seen a DA powered plane fail... they always started easy and flew powerfully all day long.

This thread has become a troll magnet, so I'll leave the thread and my statements at that... any further "my sister's aunt's friend's father-in-law DA" remarks will be read as bogus drivel.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:09 AM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Old 01-16-2005, 11:59 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

When I started this thread, I was disapointed, when my very new DA50 went back for service, after only 1 1/2 gallons through it. It had run excellent up to that point. Yes, they repaired it, in fact, put in everything new inside,piston,rod,bearings, and crank. When I emailed them as to when my engine would be looked at, they emailed back that it was on it's way back. It was also stated that if I had any questions email them back. When I got the engine back I checked the invoice to find the work done, but nothing as the cause. I emailed them back with a question as to the reason everything was changed and got no responce. It puzzled me and that's why I put a question on the forum about DA50 problems. After reading what some of you wrote I find out about rod problems with them. I have two of these engines, one I bought new, and one was just bench run. The bench run engine hasn't been in the air yet, so we will see. The new one is back ready to go in the air again, to start the breakin process over again. I sure hope after this summer is over with I can stand by you DA supporters and say I'll buy another one!!!
Rick
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 PM
1bettenu
My Feedback: (5)

I have a DA-50 with about 4 gallons of fuel thru it.Last week the ignition went out and I mailed it off I sent it Monday they got it wensday and I got it back friday I want to thank the guys at DA for such a superb job
Old 01-16-2005, 08:52 PM
BobbyRichardson

I selected my engine on the great reputation of Desert Aircraft and I have not regreted it one minute. I know that anything man made is going to give trouble sometimes, I just hate when its mine.[:@] But as long as I know who I'm dealing with I don't worry "one minute" about how or what will be done about my problem.

I would not hesitate to buy any product they make the reputation of Desert Aircraft has EARNED my PAST and FUTURE business!!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

For me, the jury is out on DA. Like I said in an earlier post, I have a problem child engine. I did send the ignition unit in because the braiding frayed out at the plug end. It's been 2 weeks since I sent it off. I called them and they said "oh yea, we have it right here, we'll get it out". Hmmmm.

I need to see what I end up with on this.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

I fly DA, no problems. None. I would/will buy more of them. Best CS, best product, best power. These threads take with a grain of salt. Too many people with so and so they know had a problem etc... One thing I have learned is that in this sport 30 percent of people know how to tune and engine. The others fudge by, complaining the engine is poor, runs bad, something is at fault. When usually they are the culprit, either by poor tuning, poor breaking, or a combination of things.

Rick, all I can say is break it in in the air, slightly rich, just as the manual states. Do it in the air with a load on it, instead of the bench. It is better for the rod. Not flaming, just its the way they recommend to do it, and, it makes more sense.

This is the first time I posted to any engine thread. I am sure 3w and all the rest run great as well, for some, there is only DA, I am one of them.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:33 PM
aegis

Has anybody found a solution for the problem with the DA50 regarding some of them quitting when the tail is raised, quitting if the plane is stopped quickly, or quitting upon touchdown? I have been following the thread in the Gas forum that talks about this but it doesn't look like DA has been able to provide a fix. Some of the engines have stopped doing it after 5 or 6 gallons, some have not. Does anyone on this thread have a solution?

Dan
Old 01-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Maudib

I do believe that is related to needle settings...

Mine exhibits a drop in rpm at touchdown, but has never quit. It was like that from the beginning and has seemed to lessen a bit with a few gallons through it.

This spring I'll be switching to synthetic... and will djust the needles even more...

Aegis, a poster in this thread already stated something about the low end needle setting being too rich... read back a bit to confirm this...
Old 01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
MustangFan

I had this problem ....

The only way I was able to reduce the effects was to lean out the low speed until the engine would quit when throttled up quickly.
Then I set the throttle delay on my 9CAP transmitter until the engine would transition OK.

The best quess I have heard on this matter is:

The fuel mixture is pooling just ahead of the carburetor ( on the 'spacer') when in the inverted position. When the nose is raised or the plane is stopped or moved suddenly, this excess fuel then runs down to the piston area. If the rings are not seated fully, this excess fuel chokes the engine.

As good of a guess as I've heard.

When my engine had 5 gallons thru it, problem diminished rapidly. But I still need to keep that low needle on the lean side. It seems to vibrate to the rich setting once in a while.

Good Luck !
Old 01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Crash90

Sorry guys. Had a bad day. I hope somebody gets it figured out.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 PM
aegis

Maudib - Thanks for the heads-up about the previous post. I saw the post about leaning the low-end but that doesn't always work. I've seen a couple leaned out to the point of not being able to even advance the throttle, yet they still die when raising the tail. In other situations, like MustangFan, the effects were reduced (not always eliminated) only by leaning it to the point of not being able to throttle up quickly. Seems like I should be able to punch it at low rpm and not have a motor of this caliber die because it has to be set so lean. Was hoping someone had found something else. It's really strange that it doesn't do it on either all of them or none of them ....

Dan
Old 01-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Maudib

I know what you mean....

I have not touched my low end from the factory setting... and I have excellent throttle response. But again my "symptom" of the "problem" is less than a few others are experiencing...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Fastlif

Rpm Drop on touchdown is due spring loaded carb, carb plate moves just a touch when you land "hard". Nothing to worry about, but its not a problem with the engine.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Maudib

I don't land hard... Seriously though... most of the time my plane just floats down and rolls out without much "bump"... however... what you are saying sounds logical... what else could cause a change in RPM with a "greater than vibration" shock...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:37 AM
RickP

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys,
The DA service is unrivaled in any industry. No complaints here. Mine was back 3 times and expertly serviced and quickly returned all three times. Well, still waiting for the third time – been waiting since 12/27/04 – starting to wonder.
Clearly there is something wrong with the design of this rod (even though DA denies it). I would be curious if someone could post if they have more then 8 gallons through this motor and no rod problems. It seems to me if you do more then sunday fly with it the old rods don't hold up that well.
Personally – I’ve owned the 50, 100 – RIP crash, - and 150. I have already replaced the 50 with something else and would think hard about buying another due to my experiences with the 50.
The quitting with the tail dropping is easily fixed by richening up the low end a skotch.

Regards,
Rick
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Carroll-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

I just ordered the DA 50 for the Carden Cuda from Desert Aircraft after deciding the Da would be the better choice over the Brison 3.2. After reading several posts on the DA 50 problems, I'm starting to have second thoughts. The Brison 3.2 may be a better choice until DA gets the bugs worked out on the 50.
I just hate these types of decisions!
Carroll
Old 01-19-2005, 12:11 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Carroll-RCU

I just ordered the DA 50 for the Carden Cuda from Desert Aircraft after deciding the Da would be the better choice over the Brison 3.2. After reading several posts on the DA 50 problems, I'm starting to have second thoughts. The Brison 3.2 may be a better choice until DA gets the bugs worked out on the 50.
I just hate these types of decisions!
Carroll
Just order a BME 55!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Jerkey

I have a brand new never mounted DA-50. I've had it for about 18 months or so. I'm wondering if DA would exchange it for the newer version with the better connecting rods???

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 PM
flatlandmike

call them they may upgrade yours for free or a small fee
Old 02-26-2005, 08:12 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Jerkey

I have a brand new never mounted DA-50. I've had it for about 18 months or so. I'm wondering if DA would exchange it for the newer version with the better connecting rods???Thanks,

Mike
Send it back to them! the only fee you will encounter is the shipping cost to DA. I was in the same situation.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 PM
wirligig
My Feedback: (3)

amazing how confused people can get (alum CRANK SHAFT)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.