Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig 1/3 Spacewalker

Great news, my parts arrived at the Hobby Store today and I picked them up. I was able to finish 6 of the 8 tail flying wires. I seem to be missing some hardware from the kit so I will have to make the last attachment point for the last two wires. I used fishing leader wire the is 7 strands braided into one. The strength of this is 70 pound test which is more than strong enough. I used Sullivan clevises and DuBro rigging couplers and some 4-40 nuts. Total price was about $16 dollars, plus I have enough leader and clevises left over to use on the control surfaces and other projects. The Sullivan kit was $22 dollars and you would need two kits to complete the tail section. Here are the pictures of the semi finished product. I have only pressed one end of the cable and will do the other one later on. I have left enough thread on the couplers to tighten as much as I need to.

two Sullivan kits $44 dollars plus tax [:'(]
home made kit $16 dollars with parts to spare

Thanks Dave and Mike for the advise. (two guys at my field)

Lee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93877.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	308619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56662.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	308620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37150.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	308621  
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 PM
DrDeath

Finished hinging the elevator tonight. Two 1/4 scale Dubro hinges in each section per the directions. I also had to glue the two halves together again to make sure that both halves were perfectly level and even. I glued the two halves together with Gorilla glue. I am also thinking about putting screws into the joiner to make sure that they stay together. I will have to think about that over the weekend. The rudder already had holes drilled for Robart hinges. One is slightly out of alignment and I may plug and redrill. Depends if there is any binding in the movement of the rudder. So far there doesn't seem to be any. I am leaning toward a pull/pull rudder setup so I will have to make some modifications to the rudder section. Pull/Pull on this plane would be scale and look nice. That's all of now.

Lee

Name:	Wu62135.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	309382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82899.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	309383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42674.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	309384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33675.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	309385  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM
AnthonyH
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee wanted an update on my Spacewalker so here is what I posted in a G38 engine thread:
I flew the Spacewalker with the G38 and the APC 19x8W prop and boy did it make a difference over the ProZinger 18x8. Engine ran good in 95 deg. heat. Prop provided great thrust and good down-line breaking. I was able to do big loops from level flight without problem. Stall turns had great vertical. I would like to try a 20x8 Menz S to see how it performs, but I am really happy with the APC. I did not tach it so I do not know what it was turning, but the difference over the ProZinger was amazing, it was like flying a different plane.

I have to get used to the landing characteristics of this plane...it floats forever! I can be 10' off the runway at the threshold and at idle and still float the length of it (350'). I need to get my glide slope a bit shallower, I am picking up speed by diving at the runway somewhat. I can't imagine this thing with the full length wing...better put spoilers on it if you have a small runway. I have noticed that I have to put left aileron trim in it to have it fly level. The ailerons end up about 3/16" deflected when it is trimmed to fly straight and level. Any ideas on what could cause this? The wings do not have any twist except for slight amount of washout. I have had engine straight and with right thrust with no difference. When flying straight away it does not appear to have any yaw.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Anthony,

Sounds like you are really enjoying this plane!

Maybe this is a dumb question but have you balanced the plane laterally. Ssupport the tail and the nose and see which wing is heavier? With such a long wing any difference in weight between the two sections could cause what you are experiencing for aileron trim.

Bob
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM
DrDeath

Thanks Anthony for the update. Sounds like the plane was worth the aquisition. I can't wait to get mine finished so I can get her up in the air. I have been thinking about which prop to use on mine and was leaning toward 20x10 Bambula. I use this prop on my 50cc gasser and I have just put a 16x8 on my Cub and if flies pretty nicely. How are the ailerons? I remember you said that there was a little bit of slop. Any other interesting tendensies with the short wing? Did you setup the throws as listed or did you change them a little. Just a few questions.

Thanks for the update.

Lee
Old 08-16-2005, 01:26 PM
AnthonyH

I have not balanced it laterally, but I have not noticed it being heavy on either side when I have picked up the front by the prop hub and left the tailwheel on the ground. I figure it would lean to the heavy side pretty quick judging by the amount of trim.

I think the 20x10 would be too much prop for the G38. I will give a 20x8 a try sometime though. Also a 10 pitch would fly it too fast to be scale. The ailerons are holding up fine, just a bit of slop due to the bellcranks. I have the recommended throws that you posted all around. I also have a low rate setup that is 75% of those throws. I have a bit of expo 25-35% on all surfaces. I don't think the shorter wing has much affect on the overall performance. Rolls are still slow and gentle.

I will check lateral balance. Any other ideas on the aileron trim issue?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:32 PM
DrDeath

I was a little motivated tonight and worked on the tail section a little more. I was going to use Robarts for the rudder since the holes where already there. Bad move. After lining everything up, I noticed the holes aren't drilled correctly and the rudder is off [:@]. So I have chosen to dowel up the holes and used flat Dubro hinges as with all of the other surfaces. I have finished two of the three hinges and will finish the last one after I have covered the leading and trailing edged of the tail feathers.

Items to do on tail

1) Cover leading and trailing edges of the control surface
2) Attach control surface (elevator first, then rudder after that)
3) Work on pull/pull rudder setup.

Trying to decide if I am going to put the elevator servo in the tail or run a long dowel. For those of you who are flying where did you guys put the servos for the tail section? Did anyone use pull/pull on the rudder? For those with a G-38 did it come out tail heavy?

If most of the Spacewalkers came out a little tail heavy then I will put the servo in the fuse, if not then I will place it in the tail section and make a hatch to get to it. Let me know guys where your planes balanced.

Thanks

DD
Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM
AnthonyH

I am using pull-pull rudder and a dowel pushrod for elevator. I do have a chunk of lead in the tail for balance. I have a G38 on mine. I don't think the cowl is the one that came with the kit. It is quite heavy and real thick. Have a look at my pics I posted and let me know if it is like yours, or post pics of your cowl. I do have different landing gear and it is placed in front of the wing. That may be why I have a chuck of lead in the tail. I do not know the weight of the lead since it was there when I bought the plane, but it is at least an inch square and a couple inches long. I would say it is at least 8oz.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:09 PM
DrDeath

Thanks Anthony,

Your cowl does look different then mine. Mine looks exactly like the one posted by the 17 year old Spacewalker. My gear will be the stock gear which looks a little lighter than yours. I am kind of leaning towards putting the servo on the left side of the plane to get as small of a push rod as possible. I will also not have any slop in the control of my elevator. The website that meesh posted has the following pictures for the elevator.

I am leaning toward that configuration. Not sure if I like the long dowel that is listed in the instructions. The push rod would be no more than 5 - 7 inches and would be much more precise. Will work on it tonight.

Thanks again Anthony

Name:	Jh16004.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	311949  
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25 PM
AnthonyH

My elevator setup is slop-free. I like it better since this is a scale plane and servos sticking out the side kind of ruin the looks. Aerobatic planes I like to put the elevator servos in the tail.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
DrDeath

Good point on the scale outlines! Guess I will use a carbon fiber rod for the push rod to the elevator especially since there isn't any slop in yours. My 1/4 Cub has two dowels and come to think about it, there isn't any slop in them also.

How many flights do you have on her?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
AnthonyH

Personally, I have flown her three weekends now. I have had about 1/3 of those flight end in dead-stick. I finally got it dialed in last weekend and was able to make all landings under power. I will put the cowl back on this weekend and fly her some more. Setting up for landings and landing is different on this giant than the 60 size planes I am used to.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
DrDeath

LOL. Giant scale is the best!!! I have the Hanger 9 100" Super Cub and 27% GP Patty Wagstaff and one thing I can say, like the women say, Bigger is Better !

I have my Cub in the truck right now and hopefully I will get a few flights in after work. The clouds are coming so I am a little worried.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Meesh

Anthony,

The BIG ones sure are different! I just started flying my 96" Monocoupe regularly. I have to set up way out from the end of the runway and touch down right at the start of the mowed section otherwise she'll FLOAT right past the runway and wind up in the tall grass (not that I've ever done that )

Bob
Old 08-25-2005, 08:07 PM
DrDeath

Sorry I haven't been motivated so I thought I would post to let you guys know that I am still alive. I thought since my daughter was at my parents house for two weeks I would have gotten more done then I have. Well, I have been flying most nights after work and the past two days my wife and I went out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. So, next week I plan on getting back into the swing of things with work on the Spacewalker.

I have labeled the flying wires and hardened the holes for the screws for the flying wires, but that is about it. I plan on covering the leading and trailing edge of the control surfaces and attach the control surfaces.

I wish that the plane was finished because the weather was perfect for my Cub and would have been great for the Spacewalker. Anyway, look for a lot of updates next week.

Lee
Old 09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
DrDeath

Hey, I actually worked on the plane tonight! I guess I kind of got burnt out for a while. Between flying, golf, family stuff and helping plan my parents 50th anniversary I have been pretty much away from building. I also had to make a quick repair on my Funtana. Long story short I was coming out of an inverted flat spin (for those at my field who don't believe me, ask Kevin [sm=wink.gif]) and was coming across the runway at about 30 feet when I noticed the little spiny thing on the front of the plane wasn't moving [:@]. Had to try to land it with a tail wind because it was almost too late when I realized the engine wasn't running. Ripped the gear out. Could have been worse, but it is repaired an ready to fly.

Anyway, back to the Spacewalker. I have covered the rudder and elevator control surfaces and the trailing edge of the elevator. I will cover the trailing edge of the rudder later. I still have a little more covering to do on the elevator, but for the most part it is done. I have to cover the connecting wood rod between the two halves of the elevator control surface and the space behind it also. Here are the latest pictures. Sorry for the long delay between postings.

Lee

Name:	Kh17769.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	323581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xe10490.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	323582   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23415.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	323583  
Old 09-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Meesh

Looking good Lee!
What are you covering it with?

We had our club meeting last week and my builder brought in a couple of pictures, no digital files yet though. He's got one half of the wing and the center section done with the wing joiners half installed. He told me It's more work than he anticipated. He also told me he didn't like some of the supplied balsa so he replaced it. In particular, the material for the capstrips. He hopes to have it covered and painted before the real cold weather sets in but I think he's being too optimistic. We'll see!

Keep up the good work (and the reports)

Bob
Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
DrDeath

Thanks Bob,

Glad that yours has some progress. Can't wait to see some pictures of your Spacewalker. I am using Worldtex/Solartex to cover it with. The stuff is really really good and easy to use. Goes around the tips really easily. I have gone through almost 4 and a half rolls of that stuff. The wing was a bear to cover because of the area. The stuff isn't too expensive. The hard part will be painting the traditional pattern on the stuff. You have to use very good automotive tape and seal the edges with clear to prevent bleed through. You still may get a little bleed through, but you can hide it with the striping that goes around the outside of the design. Hope to make some more progress tonight, but I think that I am going to purchase the Eflite Mini Edge 540 today so I may try to put that together tonight. Too many planes, not enough time.

Lee
Old 09-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Meesh

Lee,

I think he mentioned using Coverite on mine. He'll be doing the painting also and he's an expert.

I hear you about not having enough time. I've been trying to put together a CMP 182 Cessna all summer in between flying and repairing. It's almost done but not quite. My wife bought me the Seagull Harmon Rocket for my birthday so I have to get that going pretty soon!

Bob
Old 11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
DrDeath

Sorry for the two month lay off. I haven't been motivated to do much of anything. I have put together the mini Edge and I have flown it quite a bit. I have also purchased the Ultimate from e-flite but haven't been motivated to put that together. I looked at my Spacewalker today and I have started another check list to get motivated to work on it. I didn't think that I could have gotten so burned out in such a short period of time. Anyway, there will be more progress in the next few weeks. Sorry for the long lay off.

Lee
Old 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Meesh

Hi Lee,

Talked to my builder on Saturday. He has the 3 wing sections done but admits to dragging his feet. Oh well. I won't be able to fly it until the spring anyway!

Take care
Bob
Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
DrDeath

Ditto on finishing mine by next spring. The good news is that we fly all year long here, but I am not sure if I want to fly mine until spring. If I finish it by February or March I may bring it out to play. If you get a chance to post some pictures of it, please do, interested in how your build finished the wings. Good luck.

Lee
Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Meesh

Oh Yeah........Pics!

I was pinging on him about that too.

I hope I get some soon. If not I think I'll take the 60 mile ride to visit him.

Bob
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 PM
mRqS

Hi

I've a question for those of you flying this beauty with 40-50ccm gas engines:
How it flies?
I've a ZDZ-40 motor (it's as powerful as G62 - ab. 5hp and much lighter) which previously worked great in my Dynaflite Decathlon (pictures on my site) as towing tug.
Will it be enough to make a 1/3 Spacewalker towing tug for not too big sailplanes (up to 4-5kg and up to 4m of wingspan)?

Or maybe should I look on smaller, 1/4 Spacewalker (2.2m) or 1/4 Piper Cub (2.7m of wingspan, but lighter)?

greetings
Old 01-18-2006, 10:26 PM
DrDeath

Hey Marek

I choose the G-38 because of a friend at the field had one in competition that used the same engine. He said it flew great. I have been told by others on the forum that the G-38 will fly it scale. I do believe that someone who has been on this thread has that setup. Hopefully they will pick up your question. I have been very very lazy over the past four months, not doing any work on my Spacewalker. I plan on getting back to it withing the next few days. I have exchanged a few emails with the Rick who owns the Spacewalker you see in the gallery section. He plans on taking it to Top Gun.

DD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.