Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aero-Works 50cc Yak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:11 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero-Works 50cc Yak

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Yeah, DEFINITELY DO NOT DO WHAT THAT GUY DID ON THAT AEROTECH!!! You would be asking for trouble. Do what Boss said and just make some guide tubes for a long screwdriver, and don't bother trying to adjust the needles with the engine running. Just shut down, adjust, and restart.
for me the mod would just be ease of getting to the needles , with not taking the cowl off. What kind of prob you think this will bring by the way?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

Alot of vibration and maybe the needles could either move settings because of it or maybe even break off! Who knows? Make a small hole with a dremel and Plug it with a small fuel dot. It won't look tacky.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94180.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	451129  
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,

I flew mine today. I only got about 10 minutes in it because the wind went from 10mph steady with T-storms coming and I'd guess gusts into the 20+mph range.

Setup is:

DA50 (only 4 flights on it)
KS-86 rear exhaust canister
JR 8611a's on all control surfaces
All the included hardware except for the canopy/cowl and wing bolts and the fuel tank
Mezjlik 22X8
Pete's CF spinner
Fromeco 2400Mah with the Super Regulator on the ignition
Fromeco 4800Mah with the Super Regulator on the receiver
CG right on the recommended spot

Weight is 16lbs 10 ounces

The reason I went with a different tank is I glued the throttle servo mount too far back and could not get the stock tank in without it sitting at an angle plus the tank I had was 16 ounces which is more than enough on a DA50

OK, the flight was short but well worth it. The takeoff was very short at 1/2 throttle due to the wind. I initally had 3 clicks of up but took them right back out when I came back upwind. I flew it around just doing the pattern and discovered that I have the throws set too sensitive for me but the plane still handled very well. So again I'm coming upwind and decide to start a roll and again I have the throws a bit too high but without any aileron differential it tracked very straight on a horizontal roll. So now I stop the roll and pour the coal to it and go vertical and it just keeps going so I toss in a snap and OMG, one of the cleanest snaps I've ever flown and it's still climbing and appears to be accelerating so I chop power, toss in rudder and go right into an impromtu KE spin. I was shooting for a simple stall turn and had turned on 3D rates but held the rudder too long and it layed right over on it's side so I went to full power and it translates right into the spin.

So by this time the wind is really picking up so now I'm thinking I gotta land so around I come and slowly back off the throttle and with the wind it just flies right on by at about 20 feet and I could walk with it easily and I'm holding down just to keep it level (remember, I'm now flying into 20+mph gusts) so around I go and I get lucky because the wind dropped off a bit on the final and I setup the approach and I'm holding just a tiny bit of power so I chop power quickly and up goes the nose, it appears that I may need some up thrust but I cannot be positive since I'm still flying into a head wind and I cannot remember if I caught a gust just as I chopped throttle, so here we go again, back around and this time I'm holding a bit of down elevator and that combined with some power I'm able to fly it onto the ground, phew...

A quick check of everything revealed absolutely no problems, not wrinkles, twists, and most importantly nothing loose.

Once I remove the canopy, I discover that I still have 2/3rd of the tank left.

Once I can get to fly this in calm wind I'll know more but I think we have a winner here folks. I'm about to make my GP Ultimate very jealous as this plane can easily become another favorite of mine but I do love bipes and have a few of them on gas also and I cannot fit both in my Ranger at the same time, guess I need a trailer [X(]

My next several flights will include a 45 degree inverted climbing turn to see how it reacts to the CG setting I have, Then I'll do it again and roll to the right to see how it tracks and finally after any needed adjustments, I'll come across level and suddenly chop power and see how she reacts, then go to setting up any mixes it needs for rudder turns/KE flight. I really think it will not need much more than that. I'm the type of person that does a ton of trim flights, but I just do not think it will need much

Oh yea, during all of this, the plane was tossed around a bit but handled the gusts very well.

Aeroworks, ya did good on this one, nice job, very nice job
Old 04-25-2006, 09:58 PM
sig
My Feedback: (42)

added some vinyl. the plane is complete minus spinner and helmet head

Name:	Qo39107.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	451221  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
sig

tripp from new breed graphics really came through helping to design what I wanted

Name:	Us54867.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	451222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80977.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	451223  
Old 04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-26-2006, 08:19 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

Yeah, DEFINITELY DO NOT DO WHAT THAT GUY DID ON THAT AEROTECH!!! You would be asking for trouble. Do what Boss said and just make some guide tubes for a long screwdriver, and don't bother trying to adjust the needles with the engine running. Just shut down, adjust, and restart.
for me the mod would just be ease of getting to the needles , with not taking the cowl off. What kind of prob you think this will bring by the way?
When those long "needle extensions" start to vibrate with the engine they can/will develop harmonic vibrations that will start damaging the threads for the needle in the carb body and will eventually start damaging the calibrated orafice that the needles taper in to.
All you need to do is mound some guide tubes that line up with the needles but don't touch. That way, the tubes will guide your screwdriver down to the needlesso you can easily adjust them.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM
cjdigger

Hey sig,

Love those graphics! How can I contact new breed?

Chris

ORIGINAL: sig

tripp from new breed graphics really came through helping to design what I wanted
Old 04-26-2006, 08:13 PM
sig

tripp from new breed graphics can be found @ [email protected] . great guy and knows his stuff

Name:	Rp43910.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	451646  
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 PM
sig

just drilling the spinner

Name:	Pn36974.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	451647  
Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

I'm "THAT GUY WITH THE AM YAK"(NOT AEROTECH) You guys are TOO Funny!!! I can respect all the opinions of my needle mod, however I have had too many flights to count with this setup and have never had a problem with any failures. I can tune while at idle if need be. The stock screws are about 3.5" in from the cowl side so even with the engine shut off, its a pain to make adjustments without some sort of mod. I'm getting ready to do it again on an Edge. I'll let you guys know if my engine self destructs! Ha!

Jason, Your Yak is Looking Great

Tripp

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

When those long "needle extensions" start to vibrate with the engine they can/will develop harmonic vibrations that will start damaging the threads for the needle in the carb body and will eventually start damaging the calibrated orafice that the needles taper in to.
All you need to do is mound some guide tubes that line up with the needles but don't touch. That way, the tubes will guide your screwdriver down to the needlesso you can easily adjust them.

[/quote]
Old 04-28-2006, 03:57 PM
SpecMan
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone used a standard side-mount muffler on a DA50 in the YAK 54? DA says the engine produces more power with this muffler than with the pitts style and I'm sure its lighter than a pitts style. It looks like it will fit inside the cowl with only the pipe sticking through but I'm not completely sure of that.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:15 PM
SJREITER

I am going to use the side mount muffler. It weighs 5.2 0z. pitts muffler weighs 12 0z. If you want to lose weight this is a no brainer. but you may end up adding lead instead. I will know in a few days. I have bought everything and have started putting it together. Another advantage to the side mount muffler is that the screws don't vibrate loose as easily.
you get slightly more noise with the sidemount, but hardly noticable.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
SpecMan

SJREITER,

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't thought about the balancing issue. Let me know how it works out when you get to that point. I'm very interested in the results.

Jim
Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Ernsbarger

SpecMan, my Yak is flying great. It needs to go on a diet to lose some of the canister muffler weight that I added. I think CF landing gear and wing tube will help out the problem plus take care of a nose heavy situation (canister).

The IMAC event got canceled yesterday but the 20+ mph winds were not really a problem for the Yak. Pattern wasn't all that great but landings were easy enough. You need to speed up the building so we can compare notes.

Bob
Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 AM
flatlandmike

I had to place the battery behing the rudder servo tray i set my engine further forward for extra prop clearance. i just mad some reinforcments to the tunnel in the back for the battery to be strapped to.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:58 AM
flatlandmike

By the way where has any one determand where the cg needs to be post flight for neutral flying ie inverted 45° up line no fade or climb

i have set mine at 4 and 3/8 the manuel want it to be at 4 1/4
Old 04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
dannny745
My Feedback: (-1)

i'd really like to now what everyone cg is at and happy
also my can is only 2oz heaver then the slimline pitts....
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Whirlyspud

Bad news is it rained all weekend. [&o]

Good News is the Yak is now RTF.

Mike
Old 04-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Ernsbarger

Not really sure what the MTW 75 canister muffler and header weighs. But my CG is set at the recommended CG. Right now with the DA/canister muffler configuration I've placed my Duralite 4000mah pack beside the rudder servo. CG is dead on but the engine/header/muffler configuration still left the aircraft in a climb with full throttle. I've had to put in about 2 degrees down trust in the engine to cure the climb issue. Not totally satified with the header/canister configuration. I've emailed DA (where I bought the MTW) about a possible solutions for the header/canister forcing the engine to have a possible positive trust angle. Does anyone else have this header/muffler combination with the DA-50 on their Yak?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
dannny745
My Feedback: (-1)

Ernsbarger da can and header is 14-oz,,
you think i should put more down thrust in mine before i finish it,,
or maybe you are tail heavy,,dose yours climb on full throttle then when you let off it evens out or still climbs?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:06 AM
T Huston
My Feedback: (31)

Guys, before you take the time to make radical modifications to correct a perceived problem ,that may, or may not ,really be a problem. Please take a few moments & go to the NASA link provided. Pay particular attention to the( four forces that act on a powered aircraft).I believe it will clear up any questions that you may have regarding tendencies that your aircraft may have in different flight modes.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bga.html
Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Yak Man

Keep us posted on the stock DA Muffler, curious to see how much cowl needs to be removed. Pictures would be great.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Ernsbarger

T Huston, while I appreciate the opportunity to reacquaint myself with all the laws of flight and have practiced them religiously since 1968 in actual flight and since 1970 in R/C. The question still remains the same, does anyone else have experience with this exhaust header/canister muffler configuration?

Bob
Old 05-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Ernsbarger

Dannny745, I really can't say. My exhaust header makes the turn after it comes from the exhaust port bends around the rear of the engine then goes straight aft in a very STRAIGHT LINE. I believe my header has been welded incorrectly. This is causing a great deal of binding in the engine / muffler mounting resulting in some positive trust angle to be created. My solution to date has been to add some down trust. The problem - I may be imposing additional stress on the DA-50 mounting lugs and the firewall. As for in-flight I've done the normal trim test (power vertical climb, no power/power vertical dives and the inverted 45 degree climb). CG is dead on per the instructions. I am still investigating other alternatives.

If your specific header angles down slightly you may not experience my issue. In the mean time, let's fly this thang...

Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.