Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aviation Models 33% Yak Build Thread

ORIGINAL: ottertok

So I guess it would be better to stick with the 33% Yak and use stock in cowl mufflers instead of the headers and cans.
Yes, for 3D and all-out raw power, that would be best. You have a great engine there, and I think you'll be much happier with its performance in the 33%'er. Screw the headers and cans!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 AM
ottertok
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

So I guess it would be better to stick with the 33% Yak and use stock in cowl mufflers instead of the headers and cans.
Yes, for 3D and all-out raw power, that would be best. You have a great engine there, and I think you'll be much happier with its performance in the 33%'er. Screw the headers and cans!
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 AM
ottertok

ORIGINAL: clarkmustang

Got a couple of photos of my progress. Just waiting on a prop now.

Is that a BME in that badboy? What size is it? Looks sweet.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, its the BME 110. It fits in the cowl nicely. I'm going to run the motor in this plane for the summer, then use it in a 35% AeroTech Velox I will start building soon.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 AM
ottertok

I just acquired a fairly new but older style BME 61 twin that I'm going to put in my Comp-Arf Extra 330L 2.3. Just have to find some mufflers for it. That plane is going to rock and roll with the 110. Do you have the standard spark plugs or is it converted to the CM6 plugs?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

My 33% is finished and ready to fly, we just need the snow to melt. Fired the plane up yesterday. The DA-85 starts and runs real nice. The engine runs very smooth. From what I was reading about the 85, I was worried it was going to have excessive vibration. Thats absolutly not the case and it pulls like a horse as well. I'm using a 3W 26x10 prop, didn't tach it. I can't wait to fly

John
Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Patto

You're using a 3W prop on a DA engine?!?! [X(] [X(] [X(]
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 AM
jrjohn

Yup, love the 3W props!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Steve

I just acquired a fairly new but older style BME 61 twin that I'm going to put in my Comp-Arf Extra 330L 2.3. Just have to find some mufflers for it. That plane is going to rock and roll with the 110. Do you have the standard spark plugs or is it converted to the CM6 plugs?
It has the CM 6 plugs on a CH ignition. The prop should be here this week, so I'll get to finish it up and hopefully test fly as soon as the weather calms down a bit.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Are the stabs on this removable?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Steve

Yes, the stabs are removable.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Steve

Got three flights on the Yak. It flys great. The 110 has perfect ballance on the plane. It flys true inverted and upright without any additional weight anywhere. The BME is definatley a lot of power for the plane. I still have to do some tuning to get the motor running smoth at 1/4 throtle. That is where it wants to hover at and it loads up a little. Once it picks up, its gone!!! The plane flys pattern great at 1/2 throtle. It feels very solid, and landings are at a crawl and 3 point every time.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i tried a mej 26-10N that i bought for some reason, turns out it works very well on this plane with my zdz super80, gained a little more rpms, which i assume sense there is less load may help in cooling, and it yanks it around plenty i was concerned about the narrow blade after my buddy said they dont move as much air and arnet worth it, but im very happy with it on this plane
Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Ih82crash

Funny thing about props they are almost pure user preference.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 AM
diamondave

yeh i didnt want the N version initially, i called da and they said they had some 26-10's in stock, so i drove down there, about 1 hour drive from my house, then they told me all they had was the narrow version, i was kinda po'd, but i didnt want to waste a trip and really wanted to try a mej, was my 1st one, so i got it, tried it on my 110 yak with the 100cc and it didnt perform well, took the menz of this one and tried it and was pleasantly suprised, so at least it wasnt a waste of money, im thinking a regular version would be even better but o well, this is good and will help break in too cause its less load on the motor
Old 04-26-2009, 06:23 AM
pliebo

I got to fly mine yesterday for the first time in over a year. Problems with the zdz super 80 had me grounded, then I got a megatron starter. Man how nice it is to not be flippingflipping flipping all day. Anyway the plane flew as great as I remember it being! I'm tempted to put a DA 85 on it as the zdz is still running rough and won't smooth out. everybody seems to be pleased with the performance of the da 85?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: pliebo

I got to fly mine yesterday for the first time in over a year. Problems with the zdz super 80 had me grounded, then I got a megatron starter. Man how nice it is to not be flippingflipping flipping all day. Anyway the plane flew as great as I remember it being! I'm tempted to put a DA 85 on it as the zdz is still running rough and won't smooth out. everybody seems to be pleased with the performance of the da 85?
The performance of this plane with a DA-85 is off the charts. Lots of throttle curve, and then throttle management.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Ih82crash

This will be controversial, but I think the 3w 85xi is vibrates less and is more reliable. My buddy has a DA 85 on his SD and for about 45 flights and is starting to have airframe trouble from the vibration. But either way the plane will fly great!!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 AM
jrjohn

I had heard the same thing about the DA-85 (excess vibration) As it turns out, it runs quite smooth. I was pleasantly surprised. However I have not done a side by side comparison. I think the real key to low vibration on the DA is to have the correct engine mount/spacer. Anything less than what is recommened and you could have trouble
Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 PM
diamondave

what kind of mufflers are any of you using with the super80?? mine is litterally less than 2 months old, about 2.5 gallons through the motor and a tube blew out, the other tube is cracked and leaking, it blew the can apart bigger than the tube, i have a buddy thats a good welder im hoping to see this weekend, but it would need to be beefed up for sure before just welding a tube back in place, anyway i called mike, now with tbm, he had me send pics which he sent to jmb in the check republic, at 1st they said it looked like it was hitting the cowl, which mike talked them out of cause it clearly wasnt, so then i thought all was well and a new one should be on the way like it supposed to be when a company stands behind a product, well now they say there is a "50% replacement fee", f&%king b&^lshi(*t in my opinion, making a customer pay anything for replacement of a new part is rediculous, mike says his hands are tied now, not sure if its cause hes with tbm and no more rcshowcase or not, but i dont want to give jmb $70 plus shipping for a part that might fail again and they wont stand behind it[:@][:@][:@], so i was looking at maybe jtec, slimline? if the pattern is the same as a da85 tbm silent beauty? i would pay a professional shop to rebuild mine for $70 before i give it to jmb, they suck and would not reccommend them to anyone, it was bad enough this thing was sooo big i had to cut half the cowl away on the bottom and notch out both sides, then have it crap out[:@][>:][:@][>:]...anyway, can you tell im upset/?

here is some pics before cleaning anything up, and showing me using the strap just like i should have been doing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87232.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1194024   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78371.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1194025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80870.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1194026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33965.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1194027  
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Patto

So is it the ZDZ brand muffler or is it a TBM product? Which company should I be mad at?!?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
diamondave

its a company called jmb, they make mufflers and pipes and stuff, mike with tbm now, was rcs, reccommends them when you buy a zdz motor, they(jmb) are in chek with zdz so i suppose thats there specialty, mufflers for zdz, but its not a tbm or zdz product, they are there own company, and they obviously dont care too much about customer service, my last email from mike made it sound like when he was the man at rcs, he may have been able to somehow still get me one as a replacement, you know they can word it a certain way to the company to write it off, or even take a hit themselves to keep the end user(us) happy, but now since tbm bought them out, he doenst have that authority, so i cant blame him or even tbm i suppose, although they seem to be limiting his power he had while running rcs, its just the company not standing behind there product,... i emailed jtec to ask about the difference between there regular and large volume versions, happend to mention the problem im having and why im looking, there policy if it fails is they fix it or replace it but i would pay shipping both ways, thats better than what jmb is doing, i know alot of people use the jmb canisters and maybe everything is perfect, maybe my wrap around was just a fluke, i guess i cant say all there products suck, (mine did) just the way they handle things when something does fail, $140 for 4-5 weeks of flying is rediculous
Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
jrjohn

Dave, I have a Jtec on my DA-85, real nice quality and very lite. All the seams are tig welded. So far so good. Maybe 10 flights. I forget the guys name at Jtec. Seems liks a nice man.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

Dave,

It is too bad to see that JMB muffler fail like that. If you get it fixed, they should add a triangular brace between the body of the muffler and the pipe. Too bad JMB won't stand behind the product.

If you go the Jtec route you will be pleased. Al and Kevin Young are great people to deal with, and their mufflers are very nice.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

OK, time for an announcement. After following this thread for a long time I jumped in and bought a 33% Yak of my own. My Yak is about 3-4 years old and was cheap, so this can be a fun plane with minimal emotional or monetary attachment. I honestly do not like the looks of the Yak as a design but I know they fly great, so I will make an exception! (call me an Extra snob...)

Originally I was going to use my piped ZDZ 80 but a great deal came up on a used BME 110 so I bought that. It seems the BME 110 will save me about 10 - 15 oz off the piped ZDZ (when including the pipe, header, mounts, couplers, etc) plus it will be much easier to mount. Besides it seems Steve is having so much fun with his BME-powered Yak I know this will be a great combination.

This is my 3rd TT/TOC/AM/SD-Models plane so I know what to expect. The build quality is high and I expect the flying qualities will be very good as well.

This will be my first "fun" plane in this size. Previously my 50cc planes were considered "fun" while my 80/100cc planes were more serious for IMAC. Originally I was going to put together a top-of-the-line 50cc plane to add to the hanger and collected some high-quality servos, receivers, engine, etc over the last year or so. After a few conversations with Diamond Dave he convinced me this plane is a much better flyer than ANY 50cc plane on the market, plus it has a better thrust-weight ratio. That sealed it for me so here I am putting together my own Yak.

After August my work schedule is going to be unbelievably brutal for about 24 - 30 months so I intend to get this plane done so I can fly as much as possible up until that time. I probably won't post many pictures but will probably input a bit of info along the way. I plan to get the engine mounted first and am working out an engine baffling solution to keep the engine running cool and happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.