Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

gasoline engine range check/test?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

gasoline engine range check/test?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:52 PM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasoline engine range check/test?

I'm looking for a pre-flight radio test procedure for gasoline engine powered airplanes. I lost my first plane (with gas) due to radio signal loss and don't want a repeat. I read that there was a specific test for gas on the futauba web site but I couldn't find it. Anyway I set up a 1/4 scale cub with a g23 zenoah on gas. I mounted the servos in the tail with 22 ga wire leads. I placed the batt, switch and throttle as far back in the fuselage as possible. I have wire tail braces and installed two nylon clevises. Using nylon on the throttle linkage. Aileron leads 22ga wire. All long servo leads were twisted. I have a pcm rx I intend to use after final setup. I will run and test on the ground with ppm rx to attempt to locate and eliminate any glitches. So what I need is any advise to make sure that I am properly conducting a proper pre-flight check. I know about the range ck. with collasped ant. and all that but I have been led to believe that there are some special checks for gasoline. The engine is standard set up with mag. I did place the rx. ant. outside of the fuselage. I believe the reason I lost the other plane was that the rx. ant. was inside the fuselage along side the long servo leads. Any and all adive appreciated.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:21 AM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Range

Sounds like you are doing it right. Dont put a kill switch in the radio compartment, put it in the cowl. I use a small Ni-rod for throttle link and a plastic clevis on the carb arm. I run all antennas inside the fuse and never have had a problem with PPM or PCM. Had a bunch of planes with tail mounted servos and ran the antenna inside also. Check the range with the engine off and recheck with engine running. It should not change that much. You should still get about 75ft with the antenna down.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:39 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say that your engine on range should be at least 90% of your engine off range. I typically get more than 200 feet with a Futaba PPM or HiTec Supreme receiver.

Obviously, aside from rattling metal, the only thing that can degrade your range with the engine running is the "spark". Shield your ignition lead. If it is not already shielded you can use an outer braid from a piece of coaxial cable. Remove the cap and run the braid over the lead and ground it near the coil. If your plug is not shielded, you can shield it by wrapping the cap and plug with heavy duty aluminum foil. Make sure it comes in contact with the braid. Tywrap it in place. Of course be sure to use a resistor type plug. Usually this will solve the problem that you describe.
Good luck,
Ken
Old 01-19-2002, 05:44 PM
iwannafly

Default THANKS!!

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the info. Will use it all. I wondered how I could shield the plug. Previously I couldn't find any info on this. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:48 AM
tkg

Default Range

CH Electronics has the Bosch metal spark plug cap.
Check web site www ch-ignitions.com
Old 01-22-2002, 06:26 AM
HitecRedneck

I had radio problems, engine went up and down. I took the kill switch of and rerouted the antenna and all was ok after that.