Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

EXTREME FLIGHT RC 88 inch YAK-54/Brillelli 366GT Build thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

EXTREME FLIGHT RC 88 inch YAK-54/Brillelli 366GT Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EXTREME FLIGHT RC 88 inch YAK-54/Brillelli 366GT Build thread

Doug,

Have you got her done yet? Mine is suppose to be hear next week.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

Very Close, this stinken job is interfering w/ my hobby!

Mounted cowl last nite, just a matter of plugging in wings and stabs, running extensions and graphics. Could possible maiden this weekend, unless I head to Kansas to look for shed antlers. I need to take a few pictures of the build and finished product.

EF 88" has bigger dimension than a Hanger 9 1/3 scale Sukoi, except for total length & weight! Will most likely sell the Sukoi and order a 2nd 88" or an EF 1/3 Yak.

You are in for a real treat. Will hopefully fire up your Brillelli tonight. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Well I got some fuel through the B60... about a tank... fiddling with the needles and such... unfortunately, my tach was suspect... jumping a bit from time to time for no apparent reason.

The engine was easy to start... it drew fuel REALLY well from dry lines... just 5-6 flips.

It popped after about 5 flips first attempt...and then started after 4 flips. From then on it pretty much started warm on 1 flip. (except whn I got the needles too lean and it wan't getting enough fuel to go...

It seems relatively smooth... I can't say any moreso than the DA50... but quite good...

Transition is very nice.... I must say I AM impressed with the throttle response... Once dialed in it's crisp and without any noticable burbling in the midrange at all...

I tried the 23 3Da first and could immediately hear that it wasn't winding out...I tweaked the needles and played around until everything was where it needed to be.

Again the tach was acting squirrelly (pretty overcast) but it would read about 6100-6200... THis prop actually weighed a little more than the 24x8 so for kicks I tried it... Still didn't wind out... and sounded about and read about the same.

I don't think the numbers are too far off going by ear... I was guessing about 6300-6400... but either way these props are too much load for sure.

I have a 22x8 but the prop bolt bottomed out before I could get it tightened... which really bums me because that leaves me still not knowing where I want to be.

While I was "pie in the sky" hoping I could get somethign decent from the 23/24" props I wasn't really expecting it... if they are getting 7000 with a 23x8 on a tuned pipe... well I just couldn't hope to get very close without one.

Because the props sounded nearly the same and the 24x8 really spun about what I expected... I'd say the 23 3Da might be z pretty heavy load.

So my goal at this point is to get the 22x8 on there and fly it until the engine has a gallon through it, then experiment again with the 23" props... Myabe a regular 23x8...

A lot of this is still somewhat "up in the air" because I really am not happy about how the tach was acting... I'm going to see if I can get a couple others to test against.

Something I did notice was the spool up on both props was really nice... even though they were loading the engine up pretty good. Great transition... With a 22x8 it ought to be smokin' fast spool up... but it needs to be over 7000 rpm's before I'll be truly in love. 7200 and it'll be a powerhouse for this aircraft...

I'd liek to see about 6800 with a "regular" 23x8... but then again... I'm old enough to where my "wants" won't hurt me...
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

What prop is the 23 3da, do you mean vess 23a?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

I do think the muffler is too restrictive for the 60. I see 6800 on a 23x8 here new on my muffler. Over 7100 on a pipe. 24" is too much until it is broke in. It needs to rev to hit the power band. My mufflers use 2 3/4" pipes. I thought you were going to run a pipe? If not let me make a muffler for it.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: poco242
I do think the muffler is too restrictive for the 60.
The muffler that ships with the engine???
Old 03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: poco242
I do think the muffler is too restrictive for the 60.
The muffler that ships with the engine???
No Maudib was using the DA 50 muffler..I ran my 60 with the stock one Scott sends and got between 6850 and 6950 with a Vess 23a
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Maudib

Yeah... I tried the DA Stock muffler... Either it, or my tach or a combination of the two... I'll get it worked out...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Based on what you describe below, could the B60 be in the power band of a da-50?

We break in the DAs on 22x8 pretty aggressive props and move to a strong 23x8 after a few gallons.

RPM Is around the same numbers you list so far - 6600s.

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Well I got some fuel through the B60... about a tank... fiddling with the needles and such... unfortunately, my tach was suspect... jumping a bit from time to time for no apparent reason.

The engine was easy to start... it drew fuel REALLY well from dry lines... just 5-6 flips.

It popped after about 5 flips first attempt...and then started after 4 flips. From then on it pretty much started warm on 1 flip. (except whn I got the needles too lean and it wan't getting enough fuel to go...

It seems relatively smooth... I can't say any moreso than the DA50... but quite good...

Transition is very nice.... I must say I AM impressed with the throttle response... Once dialed in it's crisp and without any noticable burbling in the midrange at all...

I tried the 23 3Da first and could immediately hear that it wasn't winding out...I tweaked the needles and played around until everything was where it needed to be.

Again the tach was acting squirrelly (pretty overcast) but it would read about 6100-6200... THis prop actually weighed a little more than the 24x8 so for kicks I tried it... Still didn't wind out... and sounded about and read about the same.

I don't think the numbers are too far off going by ear... I was guessing about 6300-6400... but either way these props are too much load for sure.

I have a 22x8 but the prop bolt bottomed out before I could get it tightened... which really bums me because that leaves me still not knowing where I want to be.

While I was "pie in the sky" hoping I could get somethign decent from the 23/24" props I wasn't really expecting it... if they are getting 7000 with a 23x8 on a tuned pipe... well I just couldn't hope to get very close without one.

Because the props sounded nearly the same and the 24x8 really spun about what I expected... I'd say the 23 3Da might be z pretty heavy load.

So my goal at this point is to get the 22x8 on there and fly it until the engine has a gallon through it, then experiment again with the 23" props... Myabe a regular 23x8...

A lot of this is still somewhat "up in the air" because I really am not happy about how the tach was acting... I'm going to see if I can get a couple others to test against.

Something I did notice was the spool up on both props was really nice... even though they were loading the engine up pretty good. Great transition... With a 22x8 it ought to be smokin' fast spool up... but it needs to be over 7000 rpm's before I'll be truly in love. 7200 and it'll be a powerhouse for this aircraft...

I'd liek to see about 6800 with a "regular" 23x8... but then again... I'm old enough to where my "wants" won't hurt me...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Maudib

I thinkt he B60 is just a step up in power... at the 6800-7000 reported figures for a 23x8... that's a decent 200-300 more than I've seen on the 50...and that's about where it should be.

On mine... something isn't right in the mix... I think it's a combinaqtion of either of 3 things...

The tach was acting a little funny, I'm using the muffler for the DA50 and it might be too restrictive (more so than his stock side dump) and the props were pretty heavy loading.... any combination of those three ould not give good results... SOOOO

A buddy is coming over tomorrow with his TNC tach... and I found that my 22x8 and 22x10 WILL fit on there fine... (there was a little burr in the threads and felt like it was bottomed out, but with a little extra "umph" tapped it out and went on.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow... with what I have...

Scott will send me out a stock muffler when he gets a chamce and I'l compare it as well.

Let me be clear... I'm really excoted about the engine... it proved easy to setup and tune, ran well, idled better than my DA50's do. (Nt that they are bad, but I have to step up to 1800-1900 for a solid smooth idle)

The B-60 was VERY happy at 1500-1600.

Transition was VERY smooth.

One last thing I'll swap out is the battery... mayeb the 730 mah nimh isn't cutting it... I'll test an 1100 just to elimante any areas of suspect.

I KNOW I'll get 6800-7000 that Scott and Josey have reported... I just gotta get my dit to diddle.

It's more of a hassle too with my move and all... nothign is NEAR as convenient as it used to be... but it'll get there...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Wait to see the flight vids (Chris' with tuned pipe and mine with stock muffler) and make up your mind then... should be soon....

Oh... and you can NEVER have all 5955's than I cuold ever want... Tee Hee
Thanks, but I do have a connection at Hitec. HiTec RCD is located about 15 minutes from me. I fly with some of the people that work there and somehow I find 5955's in my flight box at the end of the day that weren't there at the begining.............. but for those of you that don't have this weird situation I have there is a place that sells them for about $96 each instead of th $115-120 range most charge. I will wait til I get more info on the "pipe" questions. I have been flying my big Waco for the last 8 months, I have never flown one of these 3d types. Infact I swore I would NEVER order a ARF of any kind as I really like to build. But I just learned never say NEVER. You folks that fly these things have infected me and now I have the bug. I hope by flying one of these Yaks I will become a much better pilot. Besides the field set-up will be much faster than my Waco and that is a BIG plus for me as I don't get much time to fly as it is.
Again thanks to you and everyone else that helps out on this site.

Steve
DUDE, How much for the Waco. Saaaweeeeeet. Give some specs.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: MustangAce

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Wait to see the flight vids (Chris' with tuned pipe and mine with stock muffler) and make up your mind then... should be soon....

Oh... and you can NEVER have all 5955's than I cuold ever want... Tee Hee
Thanks, but I do have a connection at Hitec. HiTec RCD is located about 15 minutes from me. I fly with some of the people that work there and somehow I find 5955's in my flight box at the end of the day that weren't there at the begining.............. but for those of you that don't have this weird situation I have there is a place that sells them for about $96 each instead of th $115-120 range most charge. I will wait til I get more info on the "pipe" questions. I have been flying my big Waco for the last 8 months, I have never flown one of these 3d types. Infact I swore I would NEVER order a ARF of any kind as I really like to build. But I just learned never say NEVER. You folks that fly these things have infected me and now I have the bug. I hope by flying one of these Yaks I will become a much better pilot. Besides the field set-up will be much faster than my Waco and that is a BIG plus for me as I don't get much time to fly as it is.
Again thanks to you and everyone else that helps out on this site.

Steve
DUDE, How much for the Waco. Saaaweeeeeet. Give some specs.
Kit by Peter Barth of Germany. Engine RCS 215 radial Prop 32/18 Menz. Servos all HiTec digital's. Radio Multiplex. PowerBox 40-16 Evo twin 2900 Duralites and 1 3900 nihmad for ignition. Covering and paint by F&M (stits system). RTF weight 46 pounds
Span 120' upper 118 lower about 4000 sq inches About $6500.00 in parts.

And it flys like the full scale Waco YMF5
Thanks for the nice words.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Interesting that they are so close despite the difference in cylinder size.

My DA 50s with canister runs at 6800 on 23x8 after break-in. They will run slower on Slimline pitts, typically 6600. Never tried running the OEM muffler because I hate cutting the cowl to shreds to fit it in

There are people running 24x8 and 22x10 on DA-50s at sea level, even without pipe and getting close to 28lbs of pull.

I guess the prop size is not the real measure of how much air it moves. Which prop it is and from which manufacturer probably matters more both in terms of RPM nd pull power....

I am also wondering if different mixture of gas and oil have an effect on performance. I run 1:32 Ashless for breakin and 1:100 Saber afterwards, with 89 octane. Perhaps I should go up in octane to 92 and use a different oil????

I thinkt he B60 is just a step up in power... at the 6800-7000 reported figures for a 23x8... that's a decent 200-300 more than I've seen on the 50...and that's about where it should be.

On mine... something isn't right in the mix... I think it's a combinaqtion of either of 3 things...

The tach was acting a little funny, I'm using the muffler for the DA50 and it might be too restrictive (more so than his stock side dump) and the props were pretty heavy loading.... any combination of those three ould not give good results... SOOOO

A buddy is coming over tomorrow with his TNC tach... and I found that my 22x8 and 22x10 WILL fit on there fine... (there was a little burr in the threads and felt like it was bottomed out, but with a little extra "umph" tapped it out and went on.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow... with what I have...

Scott will send me out a stock muffler when he gets a chamce and I'l compare it as well.

Let me be clear... I'm really excoted about the engine... it proved easy to setup and tune, ran well, idled better than my DA50's do. (Nt that they are bad, but I have to step up to 1800-1900 for a solid smooth idle)

The B-60 was VERY happy at 1500-1600.

Transition was VERY smooth.

One last thing I'll swap out is the battery... mayeb the 730 mah nimh isn't cutting it... I'll test an 1100 just to elimante any areas of suspect.

I KNOW I'll get 6800-7000 that Scott and Josey have reported... I just gotta get my dit to diddle.

It's more of a hassle too with my move and all... nothign is NEAR as convenient as it used to be... but it'll get there...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Maudib

I think it's pretty clear that the DA50 is a high performance design... the B60 is an angine that is based on an industial design... ot's not suprising it would only perform 200-300 rpm better. I don't know all the design differences... but I think the reed block is one of them...

It's not touted as a DA50 competitor... just a good, solid performer... priced accordingly. It will offer that little bit extra for people who want or need it.

Chris has saind from the beginning that those with DA50's will love it on this airplane...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: yarom

My DA 50s with canister runs at 6800 on 23x8 after break-in. They will run slower on Slimline pitts, typically 6600. Never tried running the OEM muffler because I hate cutting the cowl to shreds to fit it in

There are people running 24x8 and 22x10 on DA-50s at sea level, even without pipe and getting close to 28lbs of pull.
What one person gets for RPM numbers is really meaningless to the next person....it could be just the wide variance in the design aspects of the DA50 possibly. A guy at our field just lit his DA-50 for the first time two weeks ago with help from another guy that has a DA50, NX 22x8 prop, Slimline Pitts muffler on a Aeroworks Extra, he is getting 6100 with his brand new engine with an NX22x8 leaned from 5800 from the factory run setting.

What that means is for every outrageously high number of RPM's, someone else has an equally outrageously low RPM #. Conclude what you want from that.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
flatlandmike

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: yarom

What one person gets for RPM numbers is really meaningless to the next person....it could be just the wide variance in the design aspects of the DA50 possibly. A guy at our field just lit his DA-50 for the first time two weeks ago with help from another guy that has a DA50, NX 22x8 prop, Slimline Pitts muffler on a Aeroworks Extra, he is getting 6100 with his brand new engine with an NX22x8 leaned from 5800 from the factory run setting.

What that means is for every outrageously high number of RPM's, someone else has an equally outrageously low RPM #. Conclude what you want from that.
lol i conclude something is wrong with the engine or setup for that guy.

i bet even bodywerks has more rpms than that at his 25000 feet ASL
Old 03-08-2007, 05:21 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

lol i conclude something is wrong with the engine or setup for that guy.

i bet even bodywerks has more rpms than that at his 25000 feet ASL
My other friend has about 2 gallons through his and he does get better but I don't know anybody getting the sometimes "magical" claims of many DA Pom-Pom boys on RCU.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Maudib

Got some good news today with my next round of testing...

I switched to a 22x8 BME Laminated and used a TNC tach... I also switched out teh ignition battery just to be sure...

7300 rpm stright up.... Now THIS is what I was expecting... Most of my DA50 tests have been right at 7000 out of box on a 22x8 same muffler.

I did put the 23 3Da on and it just did NOT spin it... so I'm thinking it's the load of the prop... I want to get a 23x8 BME Laminated prop but they are out of stock...

No worries... I'm tickled with the 7300 RPM on the 22x8... the video I did of the Lanier at 18 lbs was with this very prop on a DA50 at 7100 (if I recall now)

So I'm at 1 lb lighter and 200 more RPMs... Over time perhaps I'll pickup another 200 or so...

I will fly with the 22x8 until it "comes in" and then switch to the 23x8... I expect at that point to get near 7000 with it and it will haul this plane like a feather.

The DA50 stock muffler may still eb restricting some so I will test with Brillelli stock muffler when I can...

Old 03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Maudib

3D-Aholic... I truly must say that it sounds like you need someone at your field who can adjust gas engines... straight out... there is not ONE DA50 in the world that will spin a 22x8 prop at only 6100... It just isn't anywhere NEAR the average for even the WEAKEST 50cc engine.

Looking back on a few of your posts from a couple years ago (where'd you go for 2 years?) I noticed the post on the 17.5 lb Wild Hare planes with DA50's not impressing you... well at 6100 I can see why!

Truth is... it looks like you are doign a lot of research... I've seen you on the various threads about these engines asking questions adnt hats a really good thing.

But do not assume that your local "gas guys" even know what they are doing... and if they are flying with 6100 rpms on ANY engine then I have to concluce that they aren't overly knowledgable about gas engines.

Across the board ALL the 50cc engines are spinning a 22x8 at around 6900-7000... the Da when broke in will spin it at least 7100-7200... and certainly 6800+ out of the box... (more like 7000)

Nobody is trying to sell you any brand... just trying to share with you what to expect... Tuning engines at first can be difficult to do because you don't know what the "sounds" are telling you... and guys can be running REALLY rich and lkosing 300-400 rpms... maybe more... but 1000? I'm not sure I could richen any motor that much and it convince ANYONE it was running properly.

Check out some of the RPM threads here for a global view outside of brand...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1875633/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3126531/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2457265/tm.htm

Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
flatlandmike

mis-click
Old 03-08-2007, 08:41 PM
SoCalSal

3D-Aholic... I truly must say that it sounds like you need someone at your field who can adjust gas engines... straight out... there is not ONE DA50 in the world that will spin a 22x8 prop at only 6100... It just isn't anywhere NEAR the average for even the WEAKEST 50cc engine.

Looking back on a few of your posts from a couple years ago (where'd you go for 2 years?) I noticed the post on the 17.5 lb Wild Hare planes with DA50's not impressing you... well at 6100 I can see why!

Truth is... it looks like you are doign a lot of research... I've seen you on the various threads about these engines asking questions adnt hats a really good thing.

But do not assume that your local "gas guys" even know what they are doing... and if they are flying with 6100 rpms on ANY engine then I have to concluce that they aren't overly knowledgable about gas engines.

Across the board ALL the 50cc engines are spinning a 22x8 at around 6900-7000... the Da when broke in will spin it at least 7100-7200... and certainly 6800+ out of the box... (more like 7000)

Nobody is trying to sell you any brand... just trying to share with you what to expect... Tuning engines at first can be difficult to do because you don't know what the "sounds" are telling you... and guys can be running REALLY rich and lkosing 300-400 rpms... maybe more... but 1000? I'm not sure I could richen any motor that much and it convince ANYONE it was running properly.

Check out some of the RPM threads here for a global view outside of brand...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1875633/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3126531/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2457265/tm.htm

Well you had better choose your words better, My RCS 215 Radial is GAS and I do know how to tune it and I DON"T get any where nere 6100RPM on it running a 32-18 I get a good solid 4500 R.P.M.

Plese accept my appologies if I got off track here.
See the post about kepping this thread on point.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Man , I bet that radial beating the 32 x 18 at 4500 sounds better than a movie soundtrack..........

Brillelli video..........??????

Some of us ARE watching. ....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Man , I bet that radial beating the 32 x 18 at 4500 sounds better than a movie soundtrack..........

Brillelli video..........??????

Some of us ARE watching. ....
Sounds like no other engine out there, but the power is scary. It really is much more quite than you might think. I use 1/3 power after take-off and it flys just fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Flyjets

To All

This is a build Thread about EXTREME FLIGHT RC 88 inch YAK-54/Brillelli 366GT Build thread

Please keep the content relevant to the topic.

Thanks
Ian
Old 03-09-2007, 08:24 AM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Flyjets

To All

This is a build Thread about EXTREME FLIGHT RC 88 inch YAK-54/Brillelli 366GT Build thread

Please keep the content relevant to the topic.

Thanks
Ian
Yes Sir and thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.