Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:02 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

I'd recommend longer bolts if you can get them. I used blue lock tite with the stock ones but later it bugged me that I didn't make the longer bolts. I had 70mm but didn't feel like cutting them. Next time I have it apart I'll probably do that. And I tried the 70mm bolts but they actually block the crank from moving. Those bolt holes go right through into the crank case.

Do me a favor and keep track of your needle settings if you can. All you have to do is turn them all the way in and count the half turns, then whatever fraction is left. It's good to know so you can go back if you want to. I had my high way too far in and was able to go back to the starting point because I counted where it was before I jagged it all up. It'd be good to know where both of ours are to compare.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do. I'll check them when I get a chance to pull the cowl. Going from memory, I think i'm @ 1 1/4 on the low & 1 5/8 on the high. This is really rich & needs to be leaned before I fly again.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:20 PM
JoeAirPort

Oh BTW, don't crank those bolts too hard when you tighten them. That v-stack is plastic and it will crush. The bolts don't tighten real solid like against metal. Jody says to use a flat washer and a lock washer. I'd also use blue lock tite of course. I didn't have enough threads for the lock washer so I just used a flat one.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Well I had about 5 flights today (or 6?). The spitting issue it a total non-issue. The inside of the engine box was still bone dry. The stack had just a tiny bit inside the throat if you put your finger in it but that's the only place there was any fuel or oil. It totally helped the running. The mixture never changed no matter what I did. I'm very happy with it and will def be leaving it on. The only thing is I still didn't get the low needle lean enough. It's very close but I need to go maybe an 1/8 or less leaner. It still pops a lot from idle to 1/2 throttle (at ALL attitudes thanks to the v-stack). It was peaking at 7200 RPM on a Xoar 22x8 but would take a few seconds to get there and it misses once on the way there. I'm thinking my high needle is still a little rich too. Anyway, the v-stack is a great thing to have IMO. I'm at about 1 turn low and 1 3/4 high.
Great News!

Did you do much hovering? That is where it seems like the fuel is more likely to drip out of the carb. The cool thing about the velocity stack is it is harder for the fuel air mixture that is sitting in the carb while the reeds are closed to escape. It has to travel farther to get out of the velocity stack rather than just flowing out of the carb. If it doesn't make it out of the Velocity stack it's sucked back in on the suction pulse.

I've been helping a local guy with a DL 50. It runs fine, but we can't seem to get that low end burble gone either. He has already installed a pulse line and we have opened up his cowl to let pressure out. I got him close but it still gargles more than I like on the low. I was thinking it had something to do with his wrap around pitts, but it sounds like you are having the same results.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
JoeAirPort

It would help if I could access my needles with the cowling on. That's the way I need it tuned. I might have to think of something to do that easier.

PS: Yes I did a lot of hovering today.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Well I had a good day today. The first flight the Low needle was rich. It was leaving a slight smoke trail and it was burbling,and I think the high end was to just a tad lean.. The power seemed to run out as the motor heated up..I landed it took the cowl off,got the tach out,leaned the low and was getting a nice 1800RPM @idle. Ran up the throttle,richend up the high end and got a nice steady 7280 on a 22x8 Mejzlik.
The DA was running like a champ,and I'm just guessing on the needles cuz I don't want to mess with it,it's running to well I started at low 1 1/2 and the at high 2. I would guess the low is now at 1 1/4,and the high is about 1 1/2. Transition is great no stumbling from 1800 to WOT!!

Oh and I'm such a softy,because I save a baby Bunny from certain death from a Bird that swooped down upon him,hit him hard enough to make the Bunny screech. I ran over to it and scared the bird away,and the bunny? Well he just ran under dads Van and hid there..

All in all a great day!!
Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

xtraflyr,way to go saving that rabbit for someone else's frying pan,mmmmm good!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:18 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i thought for a minute you were going to say you chased the bird away with your plane.....that would have been cool, good job though, although disovery channel shows say not to interfere with nature, haha, me and the wife do that kinda stuff all the time too
Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Well I had a good day today. The first flight the Low needle was rich. It was leaving a slight smoke trail and it was burbling,and I think the high end was to just a tad lean.. The power seemed to run out as the motor heated up..I landed it took the cowl off,got the tach out,leaned the low and was getting a nice 1800RPM @idle. Ran up the throttle,richend up the high end and got a nice steady 7280 on a 22x8 Mejzlik.
The DA was running like a champ,and I'm just guessing on the needles cuz I don't want to mess with it,it's running to well I started at low 1 1/2 and the at high 2. I would guess the low is now at 1 1/4,and the high is about 1 1/2. Transition is great no stumbling from 1800 to WOT!!

Oh and I'm such a softy,because I save a baby Bunny from certain death from a Bird that swooped down upon him,hit him hard enough to make the Bunny screech. I ran over to it and scared the bird away,and the bunny? Well he just ran under dads Van and hid there..

All in all a great day!!
Cool you got it going. How does that radio feel?
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

All in all a great day!!
Cool you got it going. How does that radio feel?
It felt great,the sticks are so smooth I guess because the dual bearings had something to do with that. I dont want to go with all the cliches,but you do feel a little more connected, I had to add more Expo because of that.. It doesn't make me do Rolling circles any easier that's for sure... I also like the extra girth the TX has,it has a little more weight then my 9303. The switches all feel in the right places,they don't interfere with my pinch method on the sticks either..

All in all I give it a A+++
Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Well, it looks like you guys have flown your EF yaks quite a bit... Who is ready for a new one??? I would like to buy a good used one (black/yellow) if anyone out there wants to sell for any reason. I just need the airframe/hardware. EF does not have the black/yellow in stock and I would rather save a little $$ and get a used one if possible. Just shoot me an email or PM if interested.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
diamondave

here is a few pics of the brothers...i couldnt get a vid of the 2 of us cause the only ones at the field were elderly and admitedly wouldnt make a good camera man, i did get some vid of my buddy with his 88 i will post when youtube clears it, you will have to imagine my 110 flying next to it for now i guess, anyway it was cool flying with him, some siblings playing....mine is the black and yellow one[sm=lol.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26167.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1187564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68047.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1187565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83907.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1187566  
Old 04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
diamondave

bryant, my buddy is selling the one in the pics, i dont think he wants to deal with shipping but i could ask him, he wants to sell complete but did say hed break it down i think
Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

That would be great if he would ship it. Greyhound makes it simple, so if he wants to just send me a pm. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
diamondave

i'll call him and see what he says
Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
diamondave

i sent him the link to this thread, hes going to check it out and pm you i think...my commision is him letting me fly the 123 extra when he gets it
Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
diamondave

well here is a vid of my buddy having some fun with the 88, someday we will get the 110 playin with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YouBmfNIGg
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Gatorb8

Nice Huckin'!
Gatorb8
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
flygilmore

Joe, I tune my DL with the cowl on....I used my dremel to do a 1/2" circle on the side of the cowl right where the needles can be accessed (with a long screwdriver) and be seen easily while I adjust. I would hate having to take my cowl on/off just to adjust.

My father in law welded my stinger back on and I flew some on Sat. morning. So far all is well with the repair. I cut 1" off the stinger to help with vibration issues and it actully looks much better as it barely sticks out from the cowl. I hope to get out and fly some more this week.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: flygilmore

Joe, I tune my DL with the cowl on....I used my dremel to do a 1/2" circle on the side of the cowl right where the needles can be accessed (with a long screwdriver) and be seen easily while I adjust. I would hate having to take my cowl on/off just to adjust.

My father in law welded my stinger back on and I flew some on Sat. morning. So far all is well with the repair. I cut 1" off the stinger to help with vibration issues and it actully looks much better as it barely sticks out from the cowl. I hope to get out and fly some more this week.
You know that's a great idea. I'm just going to open up that hole like you did. Thanks for the simple idea. I already have the long screw driver.....trying to feel which needle it was on was a beeotch.

What stinger?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Photos of the needle adjustment holes???
Old 04-27-2009, 12:55 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: ArcherIIDriver

Photos of the needle adjustment holes???
I can take a pic but basically just drill a 1/2" diameter hole on the side of the cowling centered between the two needles. You can access either needle from that same hole and look inside to see which one you're on. If you want to get it dead perfect center, take some a long 2" wide strip of card stock with a little hole drilled in the end. Tape it to the fuse behind the cowling rear edge. Position the card stock so that little hole is between the needles. Now install your cowling under that strip, mark it, then drill your hole.

There are people who bling up this hole with with a trick DA fueler or equivalent. I won't.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Yeah, I was really asking to see pics for cosmetic reasons. Want to see how noticeable the hole would be before I cut it. A picture speaks a thousand words, ya know?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. That's the reason I drilled my access hole so small. But now I realize that taking the cowling on and off just ain't worth being so pretty. [sm=confused_smile.gif]
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
xtraflyr

to dress up your hole,just go to a hardware store and get an assortment of Grommets and fit it in.. Looks good without to Blingy! I personally dont have a hole for my 88" but do on my 74"EF Yak. I have a hard enough time holding a screwdriver and adjusting it with the cowl off let alone on. I know some guys will run a guide from the needles to the cowl and just slide the screwdriver down the guide without looking for it..

Maybe if we shut the lights off,we could find the hole easier?[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.