Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

they call that mosquito pass? i dont think theres any up there, haha...pretty pic
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

Cold? Naw!
There is no bad weather, there is just bad cloths!

LOL!! That's exactly right. I had some good clothes (Aerostich) and was fine. That looks like some Awesome riding.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
lokiyawl

Some great news! I just got an email confirmation from EF that my two 88" Yellow and Black Yaks are about to be shipped! (thanks to all of you that ordered the other color schemes! (grin) I can't wait to see them! I think that I am going to go electric, using the Plettenberg Terminator which seems to have worked out pretty well with some other setups on this plane. I would like to try and keep the airframe as light as I can. Has anyone used the carbon fiber gear on this plane and if so how did you like it? I remember mention of a titanium axle, does anyone have a link for that by chance? I am thinking of using a powersafe reciever and two 1100 MAH A123's for the reciever. If anyone has any other ideas on how to keep this bird light let me know.

Thanks,

James
Old 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kavan air tires. 3.7 ounces per pair of 4".
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Some great news! I just got an email confirmation from EF that my two 88'' Yellow and Black Yaks are about to be shipped! (thanks to all of you that ordered the other color schemes! (grin) I can't wait to see them! I think that I am going to go electric, using the Plettenberg Terminator which seems to have worked out pretty well with some other setups on this plane. I would like to try and keep the airframe as light as I can. Has anyone used the carbon fiber gear on this plane and if so how did you like it? I remember mention of a titanium axle, does anyone have a link for that by chance? I am thinking of using a powersafe reciever and two 1100 MAH A123's for the reciever. If anyone has any other ideas on how to keep this bird light let me know.

Thanks,

James
I've got a set of the new style Graphtec for my 88" Yak. www.graphtechrcshop.com It looks good and does have some flex to it. I haven't installed mine yet but we already got a set on one of my friends planes and it is doing good. The best Titanium axles are made by PSP. http://www.pspmfg.com/

Congrats on the new planes.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:07 PM
diamondave

those were nice pics of bikes but it was the wrong kind....just kiddin, i had a few different enduros and miss not having one now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22070.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1343808  
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
lokiyawl

I just ordered a set of the Titanium axles and also the Graphtec landing gear so thanks for those links!

James

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Some great news! I just got an email confirmation from EF that my two 88'' Yellow and Black Yaks are about to be shipped! (thanks to all of you that ordered the other color schemes! (grin) I can't wait to see them! I think that I am going to go electric, using the Plettenberg Terminator which seems to have worked out pretty well with some other setups on this plane. I would like to try and keep the airframe as light as I can. Has anyone used the carbon fiber gear on this plane and if so how did you like it? I remember mention of a titanium axle, does anyone have a link for that by chance? I am thinking of using a powersafe reciever and two 1100 MAH A123's for the reciever. If anyone has any other ideas on how to keep this bird light let me know.

Thanks,

James
I've got a set of the new style Graphtec for my 88'' Yak. www.graphtechrcshop.com It looks good and does have some flex to it. I haven't installed mine yet but we already got a set on one of my friends planes and it is doing good. The best Titanium axles are made by PSP. http://www.pspmfg.com/

Congrats on the new planes.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Gatorb8

I have 20+ flights and 30+ landings on my graphtec LG, love it! few were real donkers!
While you are at PSP, look at the cool aluminum rims for Kavan tires...............to go with your titanium axles Bling Bling Bling
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
cjcyclesrc

Yes. The PSP wheels for the Kavan Tires are very nice.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Gatorb8

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: diamondave

those were nice pics of bikes but it was the wrong kind....just kiddin, i had a few different enduros and miss not having one now
So, dating someone in the witness protection program.....
Nice Hog!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

Yes, two 88" Yaks! I am only planning to build one, the other will be a back up kit..just in case the worst happens or a need parts. Next spring I will be back in Nova Scotia so it will be nice to have a second kit on hand given the added problems of getting a kit like this over the border. Given how long it can take to get a replacement kit ( I waited for months for these Yaks to become available) and the fact that I feel that the 88" will be my favorite plane, I felt like this was a good way to go. And if I never need the back up kit then I suspect it will not be hard to sell. I got an email from EF today indicating that they were loaded on the truck to be shipped to me today! Hmm, I have never bought an RC plane that was cheaper to ship via truck than UPS..just how big is this thing? (grin) I have ordered carbon fiber gear and titanium axles. Next I plan to order a set of 4" Kavan tires. I really appreciate all of the suggestions on how to set this one up and keep it light. I did some flying with my brother over the Xmas holidays and he was running a DA50. I was really impressed with the engine and the throttle response but I still think that I will go electric on my 88". In a couple of years, if I have advanced enough, I would like to build the 110" and that one will likely have the DA 100 in it on tuned pipes.

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Gator,

Yes, two 88'' Yaks! I am only planning to build one, the other will be a back up kit..just in case the worst happens or a need parts. Next spring I will be back in Nova Scotia so it will be nice to have a second kit on hand given the added problems of getting a kit like this over the border. Given how long it can take to get a replacement kit ( I waited for months for these Yaks to become available) and the fact that I feel that the 88'' will be my favorite plane, I felt like this was a good way to go. And if I never need the back up kit then I suspect it will not be hard to sell. I got an email from EF today indicating that they were loaded on the truck to be shipped to me today! Hmm, I have never bought an RC plane that was cheaper to ship via truck than UPS..just how big is this thing? (grin) I have ordered carbon fiber gear and titanium axles. Next I plan to order a set of 4'' Kavan tires. I really appreciate all of the suggestions on how to set this one up and keep it light. I did some flying with my brother over the Xmas holidays and he was running a DA50. I was really impressed with the engine and the throttle response but I still think that I will go electric on my 88''. In a couple of years, if I have advanced enough, I would like to build the 110'' and that one will likely have the DA 100 in it on tuned pipes.

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!
I didn't get that option on shipping when I got mine years ago ! I believe it cost me about 160 from UPS ? My 88" EF Edge is costing me 1/2 of that price getting shipped to my work !

Yeah James it's 3 boxes one for the fuse that is not only cardboard but has a wooden frame built around it .. Then there is one for the wings and one for the cowl !!

On my Edge I'm going to use the 9ch. Powersafe and 2)7.4 2400 lipos unregulated and run all Hitec 7955's. The Lipo's are lighter then the A123's..

Frank..
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Wow, 3 boxes per plane... My 74" came all in one box, the 88" must be a lot larger! My shipping via truck for the two Yaks will be $130 and I guess would be about the same price for 1 . That is coming to a business address and Georgia is not that far away so I am sure that helps. Thanks for the suggestion about using Li-poly packs instead of A123. I will take a look at that option. 2 - 2400's seems like it might be overkill to me? I am running a single 1100 A123 in my 74" and that is safe for 10 flights. I was using a single 2300 orginally and could fly 20+ flights and only use 1/3 of the capacity. I like the idea of eliminating the regulators. So the 7955's can handle the voltage from a 2 cell Lipo..interesting. I guess that the servos must be faster and stronger at the higher voltage? Does the power safe reciever isolate the two batteries in case one fails? I was planning to use the same reciever.

James

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Gator,

Yes, two 88'' Yaks! I am only planning to build one, the other will be a back up kit..just in case the worst happens or a need parts. Next spring I will be back in Nova Scotia so it will be nice to have a second kit on hand given the added problems of getting a kit like this over the border. Given how long it can take to get a replacement kit ( I waited for months for these Yaks to become available) and the fact that I feel that the 88'' will be my favorite plane, I felt like this was a good way to go. And if I never need the back up kit then I suspect it will not be hard to sell. I got an email from EF today indicating that they were loaded on the truck to be shipped to me today! Hmm, I have never bought an RC plane that was cheaper to ship via truck than UPS..just how big is this thing? (grin) I have ordered carbon fiber gear and titanium axles. Next I plan to order a set of 4'' Kavan tires. I really appreciate all of the suggestions on how to set this one up and keep it light. I did some flying with my brother over the Xmas holidays and he was running a DA50. I was really impressed with the engine and the throttle response but I still think that I will go electric on my 88''. In a couple of years, if I have advanced enough, I would like to build the 110'' and that one will likely have the DA 100 in it on tuned pipes.

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!
I didn't get that option on shipping when I got mine years ago ! I believe it cost me about 160 from UPS ? My 88'' EF Edge is costing me 1/2 of that price getting shipped to my work !

Yeah James it's 3 boxes one for the fuse that is not only cardboard but has a wooden frame built around it .. Then there is one for the wings and one for the cowl !!

On my Edge I'm going to use the 9ch. Powersafe and 2)7.4 2400 lipos unregulated and run all Hitec 7955's. The Lipo's are lighter then the A123's..

Frank..
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
xtraflyr

James,

Yeah It Huge compared to the 74". I owned the 74"also,and how great of a plane it is the 88"blows it away !! Lee from Team Extreme Flight is using the 7.4 lipos unregulated and likes it,it gives the servos more torque and speed. I've never used A123's and probably won't,plus the lipos are lighter then the a123's. Don't forget the 88" has bigger surfaces and the plane is heavier then the 74",so it will use a little more power..Plus I don't want to have to do math to make sure the A123's don't drop off like they say they do... But everyone has their own preference,so go with what works for you !! I would imagine the Powersafe has built in redundancy in case a battery fails.. I can't see why they would use two batteries without having redundancy .

Frank..

Frank,

Wow, 3 boxes per plane... My 74'' came all in one box, the 88'' must be a lot larger! My shipping via truck for the two Yaks will be $130 and I guess would be about the same price for 1 . That is coming to a business address and Georgia is not that far away so I am sure that helps. Thanks for the suggestion about using Li-poly packs instead of A123. I will take a look at that option. 2 - 2400's seems like it might be overkill to me? I am running a single 1100 A123 in my 74'' and that is safe for 10 flights. I was using a single 2300 orginally and could fly 20+ flights and only use 1/3 of the capacity. I like the idea of eliminating the regulators. So the 7955's can handle the voltage from a 2 cell Lipo..interesting. I guess that the servos must be faster and stronger at the higher voltage? Does the power safe reciever isolate the two batteries in case one fails? I was planning to use the same reciever.

James

Gator,

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!
I didn't get that option on shipping when I got mine years ago ! I believe it cost me about 160 from UPS ? My 88'' EF Edge is costing me 1/2 of that price getting shipped to my work !

Frank..
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 AM
lokiyawl

Frank,

So you had the 74" and like the 88" a lot better...now I am getting even more excited about this project! What differences did you find between the two planes? The 74" is currently my favorite plane by far but everyone seems to indicate that they like the 88" better..can't wait to fly mine!

I did some checking on the weight of the A123's versus the Lipo setup and you are right, there is a substantaintial difference on the order of maybe 40% so I will plan to use the double Lipo sans regulator setup in my plane..every little bit helps. I am wondering about using the 2100 MAH TP Pro Lites. The burst current is way more than is needed so actually a lower C rating would work fine. What batteries are you using?

Thanks,

James

James,

Yeah It Huge compared to the 74''. I owned the 74''also,and how great of a plane it is the 88''blows it away !! Lee from Team Extreme Flight is using the 7.4 lipos unregulated and likes it,it gives the servos more torque and speed. I've never used A123's and probably won't,plus the lipos are lighter then the a123's. Don't forget the 88'' has bigger surfaces and the plane is heavier then the 74'',so it will use a little more power..Plus I don't want to have to do math to make sure the A123's don't drop off like they say they do... But everyone has their own preference,so go with what works for you !! I would imagine the Powersafe has built in redundancy in case a battery fails.. I can't see why they would use two batteries without having redundancy .

Frank..

Frank,

Wow, 3 boxes per plane... My 74'' came all in one box, the 88'' must be a lot larger! My shipping via truck for the two Yaks will be $130 and I guess would be about the same price for 1 . That is coming to a business address and Georgia is not that far away so I am sure that helps. Thanks for the suggestion about using Li-poly packs instead of A123. I will take a look at that option. 2 - 2400's seems like it might be overkill to me? I am running a single 1100 A123 in my 74'' and that is safe for 10 flights. I was using a single 2300 orginally and could fly 20+ flights and only use 1/3 of the capacity. I like the idea of eliminating the regulators. So the 7955's can handle the voltage from a 2 cell Lipo..interesting. I guess that the servos must be faster and stronger at the higher voltage? Does the power safe reciever isolate the two batteries in case one fails? I was planning to use the same reciever.

James

Gator,

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!

Frank..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: diamondave

So, dating someone in the witness protection program.....
Nice Hog!
thanks...yeh i blacked out her face a while ago when i shared that pic with some other chick....seemed like a good thing to do
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 AM
xtraflyr

James,
With my 74" it wasn't to bad with the lighter OS160 under the cowl,but when I put the Brillelli 46 in it,to me it was just to heavy for it. The bigger plane just flies better,but handles very light !I'm at just 18lbs. with a DA50 and a KS 1060 Tuned Pipe and it flies it great,plenty for pull out,Yatta,Yatta!!

For Lipo's I'm thinking of running the Spectrum ones. I may rethink it because their pretty expensive compared to let say the Fromeco ones,like 1/2 the price ! The only other thing I was thinking about is that guys say you should take the lipo's out of the plane to charge them. If they end up under the cowl like my Yak,then I'm stuck taking the cowl off to charge them !! Or just chance it with the cowl on. I'll just charge 1c and they should be fine..

Right now all my batteries and regs are on the motor box of the Yak,but I think I can maybe move them back some. I ended up flying mine without the spinner and it seems to fly better for me. So I think I can move the batteries back and put the spinner back on. But it's just easier to run it without the spinner,which is doesn't look so bad ..

You going to love your new Yak!

Frank

Frank,

So you had the 74'' and like the 88'' a lot better...now I am getting even more excited about this project! What differences did you find between the two planes? The 74'' is currently my favorite plane by far but everyone seems to indicate that they like the 88'' better..can't wait to fly mine!

I did some checking on the weight of the A123's versus the Lipo setup and you are right, there is a substantaintial difference on the order of maybe 40% so I will plan to use the double Lipo sans regulator setup in my plane..every little bit helps. I am wondering about using the 2100 MAH TP Pro Lites. The burst current is way more than is needed so actually a lower C rating would work fine. What batteries are you using?

Thanks,

James

James,

Yeah It Huge compared to the 74''. I owned the 74''also,and how great of a plane it is the 88''blows it away !! Lee from Team Extreme Flight is using the 7.4 lipos unregulated and likes it,it gives the servos more torque and speed. I've never used A123's and probably won't,plus the lipos are lighter then the a123's. Don't forget the 88'' has bigger surfaces and the plane is heavier then the 74'',so it will use a little more power..Plus I don't want to have to do math to make sure the A123's don't drop off like they say they do... But everyone has their own preference,so go with what works for you !! I would imagine the Powersafe has built in redundancy in case a battery fails.. I can't see why they would use two batteries without having redundancy .

Frank..

Frank,

James

Gator,

James

Thanks,

James
Two EF 88 Yaks?
[sm=eek.gif]
Sweet!

Frank..
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Thanks for comparing the two planes. I just got back from a long day of flying, 12 more flights logged on my Red and White 74" Yak with a lot of up close hovering practice. I recently went from a 2300 A123 to a 1100 on the reciver, changed to carbon gear, put on much lighter wheels, switched to a Xoar wood electric prop (saved 65 grams there!) cut the axles down etc. I am now around 12 lbs ready to fly and the only problem is that most of the weight came out of the nose so now I am a bit tail heavy and will need to move the motor fwd. a bit... But taking out about 3/4 of a pound really did make a difference in the way my plane flies now. The 88" sure looks like it flies lighter than where I am now though, I can't wait to find out for myself! My calculations suggest that I should be around 18.5 lbs. ready to fly. I am assuming that the 18lbs. you quoted was dry so if so I think that we should be pretty close weight wise.

I really think that the danger of charging Lipos is a lot lower than it used to be, mainly due to the new chargers. I have done thousands of rechargings with 0 problems but I also only charge at 1C and always balance charge. I am not familiar with the Spektrum Lipos. I would probably use the Thunder Power since they have always given me the best service and I am familiar with them.

Really glad to hear that you like your DA on the KS pipes so much. Do you have much vibration with your DA? Maybe there is something wrong with my brothers 540 Edge with a DA since it vibrated a lot and all of the linkages/servos had slop in them which I assume was from wear.

James

James,
With my 74" it wasn't to bad with the lighter OS160 under the cowl,but when I put the Brillelli 46 in it,to me it was just to heavy for it. The bigger plane just flies better,but handles very light !I'm at just 18lbs. with a DA50 and a KS 1060 Tuned Pipe and it flies it great,plenty for pull out,Yatta,Yatta!!

For Lipo's I'm thinking of running the Spectrum ones. I may rethink it because their pretty expensive compared to let say the Fromeco ones,like 1/2 the price ! The only other thing I was thinking about is that guys say you should take the lipo's out of the plane to charge them. If they end up under the cowl like my Yak,then I'm stuck taking the cowl off to charge them !! Or just chance it with the cowl on. I'll just charge 1c and they should be fine..

Right now all my batteries and regs are on the motor box of the Yak,but I think I can maybe move them back some. I ended up flying mine without the spinner and it seems to fly better for me. So I think I can move the batteries back and put the spinner back on. But it's just easier to run it without the spinner,which is doesn't look so bad ..

You going to love your new Yak!

Frank
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 PM
xtraflyr

Hey James,
You sound about right on our Yaks weighing about the same. I was thinking the same about charging Lipo's. I usually only charge at 1c and they don't even get warm. I also some some Thunder Power V2 batteries at my LHS and almost bought them. I can't remember now if they were 2100 or 2700mah...

My Da really doesn't shake to much really. Maybe your friends is rich on the low end? Make sure his prop is balanced well too!

I see your in Titusville. One of my friends I went to HS with lives there now and owns a Auto repair place there..

Frank
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

The most important part about safely charging Lipos is to balance charge them which means using a charger that charges or balances the individual cells. If you are charging through the main lead only and a cell is low or bad, then when the charger takes the battery to full charge voltage, the good cell is overcharged and this is when charging can be dangerous. I like the Cellpro chargers from FMA the best but there are others out there that are good too. You can use a seperate balancer (blinky) attached to the balance lead but it is still safer to just use a charger that charges through the balance lead and can monitor and charge each cell seperately. For a reciever battery, you don't need to use the V2 25C batteries, the Pro Lites can put out many times the power your servos can use even at stall and the lower C rated batteries are lighter. The Pro Lites also have a record for having great cycle life, better than the V2's. I have some with 400+ cycles I use in my indoor foamies and 0 failures so far...

My Titanium axles came in today and they are amazingly light! The carbon gear should be in soon. I could have had my 2 Yaks if I had been around when the truck arrived. Extreme Flight left a note on the shipping papers for the shipper to call me but they didn't for reasons that didn't make much sense to me..but I should have them on Monday.

Yes, maybe my brothers DA was not setup right. Between the play in the linkages and the vibration the elevator on one side was fluttering up and down almost 1/2" with the engine idling..it was a little unsettling to me! I really want to see the DA 100 run, I really would like to someday have the 110" Yak but I think that my 88" will be electric. My 74" has worked out so well in electric, 0 deadsticks, more than a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio, low noise, a battery cost of about .75 per flight ( .25 is now possible using Zippy batteries!) and with the more effecient Plettenberg motor and Xoar prop I am getting solid 8 minute flights with a 30% reserve which I consider acceptable.

My home is actually now in Nova Scotia but I have lived in Titusville for 30 years, it is a great place to be for the winter, it was in the mid 70's and calm here today..great for flying. I haven't looked at your profile, are you in the area?

James

Hey James,
You sound about right on our Yaks weighing about the same. I was thinking the same about charging Lipo's. I usually only charge at 1c and they don't even get warm. I also some some Thunder Power V2 batteries at my LHS and almost bought them. I can't remember now if they were 2100 or 2700mah...

My Da really doesn't shake to much really. Maybe your friends is rich on the low end? Make sure his prop is balanced well too!

I see your in Titusville. One of my friends I went to HS with lives there now and owns a Auto repair place there..

Frank

www.njjf.org
www.njjf.freeforums.org
Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 PM
xtraflyr

James,
I've been using a Blinky for a couple years now and seems to work fine for now. I was at my LHS and ordered the Spectrum Lipos and the powersafe 9ch Spectrum rx. They only had one 9755tg servo,but i may go through the internet for the rest of the servos,their about 10 bucks cheaper with the shipping. But i like to use my LHS as much as possible.

I hope they don't forget to call me when my 88" Edge comes in !! I just kept my stock gear on my 88" Yak. Saved my gear plate a few times.. I don't think I'll ever get the 110"Yak it just that little more expense of going to a 100cc plane !!

I live in New Jersey born and bread..

Frank

Frank,

The most important part about safely charging Lipos is to balance charge them which means using a charger that charges or balances the individual cells. If you are charging through the main lead only and a cell is low or bad, then when the charger takes the battery to full charge voltage, the good cell is overcharged and this is when charging can be dangerous. I like the Cellpro chargers from FMA the best but there are others out there that are good too. You can use a seperate balancer (blinky) attached to the balance lead but it is still safer to just use a charger that charges through the balance lead and can monitor and charge each cell seperately. For a reciever battery, you don't need to use the V2 25C batteries, the Pro Lites can put out many times the power your servos can use even at stall and the lower C rated batteries are lighter. The Pro Lites also have a record for having great cycle life, better than the V2's. I have some with 400+ cycles I use in my indoor foamies and 0 failures so far...

My Titanium axles came in today and they are amazingly light! The carbon gear should be in soon. I could have had my 2 Yaks if I had been around when the truck arrived. Extreme Flight left a note on the shipping papers for the shipper to call me but they didn't for reasons that didn't make much sense to me..but I should have them on Monday.

Yes, maybe my brothers DA was not setup right. Between the play in the linkages and the vibration the elevator on one side was fluttering up and down almost 1/2'' with the engine idling..it was a little unsettling to me! I really want to see the DA 100 run, I really would like to someday have the 110'' Yak but I think that my 88'' will be electric. My 74'' has worked out so well in electric, 0 deadsticks, more than a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio, low noise, a battery cost of about .75 per flight ( .25 is now possible using Zippy batteries!) and with the more effecient Plettenberg motor and Xoar prop I am getting solid 8 minute flights with a 30% reserve which I consider acceptable.

My home is actually now in Nova Scotia but I have lived in Titusville for 30 years, it is a great place to be for the winter, it was in the mid 70's and calm here today..great for flying. I haven't looked at your profile, are you in the area?

James

Hey James,

Frank

www.njjf.org
www.njjf.freeforums.org
Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

I used the blinkys with a couple Triton chargers and didn't have any problems either but I think that the balancing chargers are still safer. I am charging LOTS of large batteries so I feel the need to be as careful as possible. I try to charge inside of a big cast iron bath tub or at least on non combustible surfaces but have had zero problems charging thus far. I did have one scare when I smelled something burning in my charging room and apparently an old battery that was not being charged vented for some reason and a cell died... I am not sure of what exactly happened since that battery was not being charged and had not been damaged. But no fire. There are some videos on Youtube of people intentionally grossly overcharging Lipo batteries that are pretty spectacular if you get the time.. I also store my batteries in steel ammo cases, but that is mostly to protect the batteries.

Would I need the 9ch powersafe for my 88" or would the 7 channel be enough? I am using the 7 on my 74". I believe that the powersafe has dual HD input leads so I should not need extra slots for power input.

So you are getting the Edge! Cool, I look forward to hearing about how you like it.

Your right, the stock gear is more forgiving, I am noticing the difference on my 74" now.. I have to be more careful to do a perfect touch down to avoid a bounce. I am going to look at adding carbon fiber tubes to my 88" landing gear to reinforce it as is done on the 58" Extra and PA planes are done..it really strenghtens things up though I have yet to damage the gear on any of my EF planes so far...

Hmm, New Jersey... I pass through there on I-95 about 2X per year. I would like to sometime take the time to stop and fly in a lot of differnt locations.. how far is your field from I-95?

I was originally planning to skip the 88" and go straight to the 110" Yak but your right, it is a pretty big jump in cost and then I am also told that the larger planes tend to be a bit more fragile and require a trailer etc. I am hoping that the 88" will keep my interest for a long time to come. The fact that EF can't seem to keep this model in stock years after it's release I think says a lot about the design.

I hope that you get some good weather up there to do some flying. There was a lot of snow on the ground in Jersey when I went through there a week ago.

A 9755TG servo?? I am not familiar with that one. I was thinking of using the Hitec 7955's at 7.4 volts in my 88" Yak unless someone has a better recomendation?

James

James,
I've been using a Blinky for a couple years now and seems to work fine for now. I was at my LHS and ordered the Spectrum Lipos and the powersafe 9ch Spectrum rx. They only had one 9755tg servo,but i may go through the internet for the rest of the servos,their about 10 bucks cheaper with the shipping. But i like to use my LHS as much as possible.

I hope they don't forget to call me when my 88" Edge comes in !! I just kept my stock gear on my 88" Yak. Saved my gear plate a few times.. I don't think I'll ever get the 110"Yak it just that little more expense of going to a 100cc plane !!

I live in New Jersey born and bread..

Frank

Old 01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
xtraflyr

Your right it's a 7955 that I'll be using,not a 9755 haha! On my Yak they were still making the 5955's so that's what I'm using on mine ..

If you have a GPS put in, old phillipsburg rd. Belvidere NJ and that's where our field is at. If you do Google Earth you can actually see our field..

Yup my wife gave me some money towards the Edge and I have some saved up to buy a couple things. I have a couple months before the weather and our field will be good enough to fly.. My friend Lee did a build on the Edge on FG http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=49126&page=11

Have a Happy New Years since it's 2010 when I'm writing this..

Frank
Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 AM
cjcyclesrc

James,

This is just a little food for thought. If you ultimately want to end up with a 110" Yak w/DA-100 on pipes, You might want to consider building one of your 88's with a gas motor. That way you would get some hands on experience with a gas motor and be getting comfortable setting up and tuning your motors.

I had never seen a lipo burn until a little over a month ago. I was in Tyler flying with some friends. We were standing around talking and heard an explosion. We looked around and flames were coming out of his 50cc plane. It was sitting in the pitts on charge. Luckly there was a fire extinguisher handy and my friend was able to get the fire put out. It burned the inside of the plane pretty bad, but they got the fire put out before the fuel tank melted. He was using TP 1320 pro lites, but charging them through the switches. Needless to say he put A123's back in his new plane. The AMA Fire insurance did pay. I guess our AMA memberships are useful. I did get some pictures but I'm at my parents in Georgia and don't have them here.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.