Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:31 AM
ArcherIIDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Well, I changed out the Vess 22A for a 23A, re-tuned a bit, and viola! the inverted "sag" is almost completely gone. It would actually fly the length of the field while inverted! A couple more tanks to prove that it's fixed, and I can start having fun!

Oh, and what a difference that extra 1" in prop diameter makes in flight performance too. Really helps to slow the down lines. Plus, my landings have instantly gone from scary/bouncy to smooth as silk. I think that minor prop change is exactly what I needed. Sometimes, it is the simplest things...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ArcherIIDriver

Well, I changed out the Vess 22A for a 23A, re-tuned a bit, and viola! the inverted ''sag'' is almost completely gone. It would actually fly the length of the field while inverted! A couple more tanks to prove that it's fixed, and I can start having fun!

Oh, and what a difference that extra 1'' in prop diameter makes in flight performance too. Really helps to slow the down lines. Plus, my landings have instantly gone from scary/bouncy to smooth as silk. I think that minor prop change is exactly what I needed. Sometimes, it is the simplest things...
That's great news. We should still get together and fly.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

ORIGINAL: AirWizard

Eagle Pilot,

Would you recommend the DL over the B60 for this plane?
I don't have much time on the DL yet, but my initial impression is very good! The Brillelli is a good engine, but more sensitive to carb adjustments. slight needle adjustments had noticable effects on idle, transition, etc. Maybe that is the nature of piston port indution vs. reed induction on the DL. They both turned 7600 rpm w/ the tuned pipe on the first tank, but the DL was smoother (transition) operating on the first couple of flights. (the B-60 flamed out 3 out of my first 5 flights[:@]) I am able to set a reasonable idle rpm with the DL and have confidence that it won't flame out doing a wall or a blender And on top of all that I shaved 7oz off the AUW. Now all I need to do is go burn some gas!

The Brillelli's can be touchy on the needles. I've had two of them develop a leak on the case. When that happens it seems like you can't get a happy tune out of them.

Did yours have the HDA-48 (t needle) or the WT 201B (same as DA 50) carb? The later motors came with the WT carb with a smaller bore and the transition is better.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Definitely
Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
EAGLE PILOT
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

ORIGINAL: AirWizard

Eagle Pilot,

Would you recommend the DL over the B60 for this plane?
I don't have much time on the DL yet, but my initial impression is very good! The Brillelli is a good engine, but more sensitive to carb adjustments. slight needle adjustments had noticable effects on idle, transition, etc. Maybe that is the nature of piston port indution vs. reed induction on the DL. They both turned 7600 rpm w/ the tuned pipe on the first tank, but the DL was smoother (transition) operating on the first couple of flights. (the B-60 flamed out 3 out of my first 5 flights[:@]) I am able to set a reasonable idle rpm with the DL and have confidence that it won't flame out doing a wall or a blender And on top of all that I shaved 7oz off the AUW. Now all I need to do is go burn some gas!

The Brillelli's can be touchy on the needles. I've had two of them develop a leak on the case. When that happens it seems like you can't get a happy tune out of them.

Did yours have the HDA-48 (t needle) or the WT 201B (same as DA 50) carb? The later motors came with the WT carb with a smaller bore and the transition is better.

I had four more successful flights on my new DL-55 powered EF Yak yesterday. That Vess 23A has to be spinning around 8K in level flight WOT [X(](in short bursts of course) It wasn't that loud with the B-60! The prop tips are definitely going supersonic! Two more gals and I will install the larger prop. I have the HDA-48 on my B-60 with the "T" needle and yes I agree, a 1/16th to an 1/8th turn on the low needle would make a big difference in transition!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I changed out the Vess 22A for a 23A, re-tuned a bit, and viola! the inverted ''sag'' is almost completely gone. It would actually fly the length of the field while inverted! A couple more tanks to prove that it's fixed, and I can start having fun!

Oh, and what a difference that extra 1'' in prop diameter makes in flight performance too. Really helps to slow the down lines. Plus, my landings have instantly gone from scary/bouncy to smooth as silk. I think that minor prop change is exactly what I needed. Sometimes, it is the simplest things...
Wow that's great. I would have never guessed that would do so much for you. Cool.

Glad to hear all ya'll having fun with your Yaks. I still say of all the cool things this plane can do, why is landing one of the most fun? It's just the coolest looking approach I've even seen.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Wow that's great. I would have never guessed that would do so much for you. Cool.

Glad to hear all ya'll having fun with your Yaks. I still say of all the cool things this plane can do, why is landing one of the most fun? It's just the coolest looking approach I've even seen.
IDK there is something about having the idle perfect coming in on final.and just touching a little up to flair or pulling harder and landing tailwheel first and those springy mains touching down taking all the abuse and the airframe just going smooth as ever.

One day I'd love to try the Extra for comparison. For now I'm ordering the 48"EXP for my throw into the back of the Cherokee and go to the local park or going to the club field later in the day for a few flights just to get my fix during the week!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Definitely
wait for me>>>>
Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

IDK there is something about having the idle perfect coming in on final.and just touching a little up to flair or pulling harder and landing tailwheel first and those springy mains touching down taking all the abuse and the airframe just going smooth as ever.

One day I'd love to try the Extra for comparison. For now I'm ordering the 48''EXP for my throw into the back of the Cherokee and go to the local park or going to the club field later in the day for a few flights just to get my fix during the week!
I think it's that slooow approach. It just floats in. Makes it looks big approaching so slowly. The springy gear are fun to touch down on. Sometimes one wheel touches before the other. That's pretty cool too. The touch down is very light though. That's one of the best parts.

The Extra flies different than the Yak but every bit as good. I can't make up my mind which one I like better. I keep changing my mind. Maybe I should just fly them and shutup !!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
MMcKelvey

Hi all,

I've been flying my 88" Extreme Flight Yak all year and the plane is awesome! It's currently running on Duralite lithium ion regulated at 6 volts to Hitec 7955 servos. I'm about to start building the 88" Extreme Flight Extra for a friend and he bought the new Hitec 7950 th high voltage servos. I'm looking for ideas on how and with what to power those servos at 7.4 volts and the Futaba Rx at 6 volts (I'd like to stay with Duralite batteries). Any thoughts or suggestions on how to properly manage that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: MMcKelvey

Hi all,

I've been flying my 88'' Extreme Flight Yak all year and the plane is awesome! It's currently running on Duralite lithium ion regulated at 6 volts to Hitec 7955 servos. I'm about to start building the 88'' Extreme Flight Extra for a friend and he bought the new Hitec 7950 th high voltage servos. I'm looking for ideas on how and with what to power those servos at 7.4 volts and the Futaba Rx at 6 volts (I'd like to stay with Duralite batteries). Any thoughts or suggestions on how to properly manage that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm guessing that the Futaba rx can't take anymore then 6volts ? That's a tough one....
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
JoeAirPort

Since the servo power is routed through the rx you can't do it at 7.4V. You'd still need to regulate it. There might be some power expander that can give the rx one voltage and the servos another but I'm not an expert on all the features. Contact Smart Fly, he might have something for you.

Aren't there any Futaba rx's that can handle more than 6V? My Spectrum receivers do 9.6V or something like that.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
xtraflyr

Those servos might just be overkill for a 50cc model.. But if you decide to put those in of course it's your decision...
Old 09-29-2009, 07:51 PM
jfassino

ORIGINAL: MMcKelvey

Hi all,

I've been flying my 88'' Extreme Flight Yak all year and the plane is awesome! It's currently running on Duralite lithium ion regulated at 6 volts to Hitec 7955 servos. I'm about to start building the 88'' Extreme Flight Extra for a friend and he bought the new Hitec 7950 th high voltage servos. I'm looking for ideas on how and with what to power those servos at 7.4 volts and the Futaba Rx at 6 volts (I'd like to stay with Duralite batteries). Any thoughts or suggestions on how to properly manage that would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Have you considered powering the servos directly from the battery and stepping down the voltage only to the receiver? The only thing the servo needs from the receiver is the signal wire, not the power. I love my EF Yak 88", powered by a DA50R on a tuned pipe. Now I want a 110" Yak.

Jim
Old 09-30-2009, 01:49 PM
zoomer199

I have always used the Vess props on my extra and yak. I preferred the B instead of the A. I liked the the increased thrust the B gives -vrs- the higher rpm of the A.
Recently on a Decathlon build I was trying to find the right prop combo for it. Was working with some of the cheaper props till find the right size and pitch. Well I tried out one of the Xoar
laminated props on it. Wow the thrust from it was outstanding.
So I got one for my extra (DA50r) to try. Replaced the 23B with the xoar 22x10. Wow! a very noticeable thrust increase. Now using xoar lam 22x10 on yak and extra. Xoar claims the Lams are stiffer than the Beach wood and more
closely resembles the performance of carbon props.
Might want to try them out there very cost effective for the performance.

Also I keep looking at those Xoar carbon tip props. Does anybody have some experience with them?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
JoeAirPort

Drool !!!! [sm=bananahead.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80717.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1288758  
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
cjcyclesrc

The scheme looks a little different on the tail now.

I've now got servo's, SWB Arms, RX, Batteries, Brillelli 60, Props, etc. just need the airframe now.

I'm looking forward to having another 88" Yak.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
cjcyclesrc

Joe,

How are the Kavan Air Tires holding up?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
JoeAirPort

No problem at all but I don't let my plane sit on them in storage. I really like them. They're very light.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
cjcyclesrc

Cool. I'm going to try some. I've used the plastic Kavans and they did good, but the Air ones look much better.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 PM
salerno

Hi guys, i am assembling my russian thunder 88", just want to know where most people are setting their c.g for a blend of imac and 3D?
it must have been covered already but this is one long thread!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM
JoeAirPort

It's a tail heavy kit IMO (big fat scale fuse). Put all you stuff as far forward as possible. Batt's on engine box. Tell me what your setup is as far as engine, exhaust, spinner type, prop. That determines a lot about how your CG ends up. I don't know of anyone who could get the CG too forward. Usually we just push it all up front as much as possible.

Mine is around 7 1/4" I think. It's further back than I'd like but I didn't feel like putting the batts on the engine box. I may do this in the future and try it out though.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM
salerno

well it gotta DLE-55 going in it, with MTW headers and RE-2 pipe. no wheel spats etc. no power expanders etc. kepping it simple. fuji water bottle for the tank. x2 A123 2400mah batts on separate switches for redundancy althought i'm thinking i might just run x1 batt.
I also run the ignition off the same batt (through a regulator!)
No pilot figures or such. Hitec all around
Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: salerno

well it gotta DLE-55 going in it, with MTW headers and RE-2 pipe. no wheel spats etc. no power expanders etc. kepping it simple. fuji water bottle for the tank. x2 A123 2400mah batts on separate switches for redundancy althought i'm thinking i might just run x1 batt.
I also run the ignition off the same batt (through a regulator!)
No pilot figures or such. Hitec all around
Do yourself a favor and use redundant power for your RX.(don't ask me how I know!!) I'm using the Wolverine switch from Fromeco two switches in one.. Use a separate battery for the Ignition.. Your going to need the weight on the motor box anyways.. Mine is weighing a little over 18lbs and doesn't fly like it is that much.. I have two Fromeco 7.4 2600mah,2 regs.,and just a 4.8 2200 mah.Nimh for the ignition all on the motor box. I'm using a KS 1060 tuned pipe and header and a DA 50..
Old 10-08-2009, 06:29 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah you'll need the batt's on the engine box for sure. You didn't say what prop and spinner. Those add weight and they are on the most forward point of the plane. With a light prop and no spinner it can make it tail heavy. You might want an aluminum spinner instead of a carbon fiber one with the pipe. The pipe makes it tail heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.