Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

I finally got my engine back in my plane (DL-50). I had some weird crap in the carb screen. I think the source was deteriorating Hayes neoprene fuel tubing. I gutted both my planes of all neoprene and put tygon with the Walbro felt clunk....after cleaning both carb screens. I'll start it tonight to make sure it's running well. Then I'll take Friday offf and fly the bajesus out of this thing. Man I miss flying this plane.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to sand my fairings too for a good fit. You want just the slightest bit of clearance between the fuse/fairing....otherwise, when you hit a bump, the fairing could bust up into the side of the fuse-not good.[X(] I used GOOP on mine to add in flexibility-worked great.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

hey jeff my planes are now closer to you then me[&o], got them overthere this week, long drive, about 1100 miles one way, cant wait to join them in a week or so, you can show me some flying sites, ever fly the 110? maybe sometime we can switch planes for a few minutes....bring back fond memories of me having the 88 and youd see how the 110 is...talk soon
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Sounds good to me! I've never flown the 110, but would love to tickle the sticks. And you're welcome to some time on my 88"er.

BTW - I'll be happy to keep your 110 "exercised" and in-shape for you while you're gone
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM
JoeAirPort

Well I had a good morning. The DL-50 is back to running great thanks to Jody at ValleyviewRC. He fixed it under warrantee and it wasn't even the engine's fault. Turns out my carb screen was filling up with deteriorated Hayes neoprene. I will never use that stuff again. It did the same thing to my DLE-55 in my EF Extra. Had to clean that screen really well. Both planes are flying awesome. One thing I realized is that the Extra is simply better in harriers than the Yak. The Yak likes to wing rock. Takes some really fast aileron sticks to keep the wings steady...but I got used to it. The plane is more neutral than the Extra though...that helps in point rolls. It stays on track better. Easier to HA knife too. Oh well all planes have their strengths and I like them both. I wouldn't ever part with either.

Here's a nice panoramic view of our field. The city workers were playing in the dirt pile to the left all morning. I had to avoid them, kind of sucked.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58524.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1277596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12777.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1277597   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27019.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1277598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78576.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1277599  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Glad you're back in the air, Joe! Sounds like you had fun.

I still don't have my inverted "engine sag" figured out []
Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
JoeAirPort

Did you install a velocity stack? Also is the metering diaphragm vent plumbed to the fuse? I know you told me a few times but I don't remember exactly. Those two things fixed mine. The velocity stack did the most good on my setup.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
JoeAirPort

Some more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92028.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1277605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46280.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	1277606  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Yeah, I've done both. Plus a bunch of tuning, re-plumbed all my lines (just in case), and changed to a felt clunk. I'm going to try a different prop next time out. Maybe some more load will whip it into shape. I still don't have all that much time on the engine..,but it's starting to turn some serious RPMs with the Vess 22A. Like 7700 rpm on a stock muffer. Great transition too! Just can't fly inverted right now
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Nice pics, Joe! Lookin good!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: ArcherIIDriver

Yeah, I've done both. Plus a bunch of tuning, re-plumbed all my lines (just in case), and changed to a felt clunk. I'm going to try a different prop next time out. Maybe some more load will whip it into shape. I still don't have all that much time on the engine..,but it's starting to turn some serious RPMs with the Vess 22A. Like 7700 rpm on a stock muffer. Great transition too! Just can't fly inverted right now
Man that's weird. You should give Jody a call at ValleyviewRC. He's solved two major problems for me so far.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: ArcherIIDriver

Glad you're back in the air, Joe! Sounds like you had fun.

I still don't have my inverted ''engine sag'' figured out []
My STOCK Da50-R doesn't have it!!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Joe,

Glad to hear your motor is fixed. Dang that is a sharp plane. I guess i'm going to have to go ahead an buy another one. I know what you mean it is hard to figure out which one flies better. Each has there own unique personality. The Yak has more side area for Yaw. The Extra is a little cleaner and faster. Both 3D great. Have you played around with balance to try to get rid of the wing rock. The 88" i had was solid in a harrier. It was at 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I think I'm going to go a little nuts on my new 88" Yak. I've got a Brillelli 60 I'm going to port and polish and a KS 1060 pipe for it. It will be a little heavier but sound better. The plane has awesome power with a stock muffler but, It will be cool to have the 110" and 88" on pipes.

Jeff,

If you want to come up and fly Sunday. I'll be glad to help you try to figure out what is wrong.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 PM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Jeff,

If you want to come up and fly Sunday. I'll be glad to help you try to figure out what is wrong.
I think we can make that happen! (just gotta remember to DVR the Cowboys game)
PM sent
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
JoeAirPort

Joe,

Glad to hear your motor is fixed. Dang that is a sharp plane. I guess i'm going to have to go ahead an buy another one. I know what you mean it is hard to figure out which one flies better. Each has there own unique personality. The Yak has more side area for Yaw. The Extra is a little cleaner and faster. Both 3D great. Have you played around with balance to try to get rid of the wing rock. The 88'' i had was solid in a harrier. It was at 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I think I'm going to go a little nuts on my new 88'' Yak. I've got a Brillelli 60 I'm going to port and polish and a KS 1060 pipe for it. It will be a little heavier but sound better. The plane has awesome power with a stock muffler but, It will be cool to have the 110'' and 88'' on pipes.
Thanks Charles, it flies nice and does look sharp. EF makes nice looking planes.

I did not play with the balance. It's pretty neutral right now. If I flip it inverted it just stays straight and level hands off. I noticed going into stalls that the wings want to rock. It could be that I'm just so used to the Extra after the Yak being in the hanger for two months waiting to get my engine resolved (first Jody went on vacation, then I went on vacation..it really took a while). The Extra does not rock like that at all and it's also pretty aft in the CG. My Yak weight is 17# 13oz. It flies super light. The Yak seems to fly precision better believe it or not. People all say the opposite. The Yak doesn't go crooked on you when you roll sideways for point rolls....due to the side area no doubt. It feels like a pattern ship. I think it's possible the Yak ailerons are more effective. It seems to roll very quickly. I really need more time on it to get used to it. It's been down for way too long.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
cjcyclesrc

Joe,

I've found you can move the CG around quite a bit on the Yak and it not affect the way it tracks inverted. They have a wide CG Range they feel neutral in. I would play with it a little and see what it does. It also might be worth taping some weight on the wing tips and see if it changes. The Yak does seem to roll a little faster.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 AM
JoeAirPort

Thanks Charles. I'll do that. Reading your post gave me an idea to do some trim checks while I'm flying today. One would be a pull to level from a vertical downline....without touching the aileron sticks. To see if a wing tip drops. I'm pretty sure I did this in spring and it checked out fine but it's time to revisit the checks. Also I'll see how it walls. It was doing fine yesterday but I'll pick up the speed before I pull one to see if it has any snappage. This thing is the straightest plane I've ever had. I checked and tweaked the stab incidence and got it 0,0 on both sides last winter when I put it together. The wings are also 0,0. I don't remember this plane have any issues with any checks I've done but it'd be smart to re-do the trim checks. I'll check thrust as as well. I think I remember Jake Ruddy saying that the Extra harriers better. That might be that case. It does them almost as easy as my old 74" CAP232. I can get the Yak to lock in but it seems easy for a gust to get the wings rocking. Just some quick sticks gets it locked in again.

There was some talk months ago about how a person couldn't get it to do an inverted flat spin. I did a few yesterday. I always enter from a blender to get it spinning. Then the normal stick positions to go to the flat spin. But just like my Extra it likes lots of down elevator and almost neutral ailerons. If you push too much aileron I'm sure that would screw it up. The ailerons are so huge you have to use them sparingly in this maneuver. But it does them just as well or better than any plane I've had.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:14 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

To get my wing rock to stop I found that if you use the rudder instead of ailerons it seems a little more effective. Maybe you need to get the nose up more also? Not that I'm a master at it or anything like that,just an Idea.. And I also never had trouble getting mine to flat spin upright or inverted.. Like Joe said to much opposite aileron lets it roll right out.. I won't be flying mine until tomorrow.. I gotta give mine a tune up over the winter,the hinges are getting sloppy..
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 AM
EAGLE PILOT
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Joe,

Glad to hear your motor is fixed. Dang that is a sharp plane. I guess i'm going to have to go ahead an buy another one. I know what you mean it is hard to figure out which one flies better. Each has there own unique personality. The Yak has more side area for Yaw. The Extra is a little cleaner and faster. Both 3D great. Have you played around with balance to try to get rid of the wing rock. The 88'' i had was solid in a harrier. It was at 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I think I'm going to go a little nuts on my new 88'' Yak. I've got a Brillelli 60 I'm going to port and polish and a KS 1060 pipe for it. It will be a little heavier but sound better. The plane has awesome power with a stock muffler but, It will be cool to have the 110'' and 88'' on pipes.
Thanks Charles, it flies nice and does look sharp. EF makes nice looking planes.

I did not play with the balance. It's pretty neutral right now. If I flip it inverted it just stays straight and level hands off. I noticed going into stalls that the wings want to rock. It could be that I'm just so used to the Extra after the Yak being in the hanger for two months waiting to get my engine resolved (first Jody went on vacation, then I went on vacation..it really took a while). The Extra does not rock like that at all and it's also pretty aft in the CG. My Yak weight is 17# 13oz. It flies super light. The Yak seems to fly precision better believe it or not. People all say the opposite. The Yak doesn't go crooked on you when you roll sideways for point rolls....due to the side area no doubt. It feels like a pattern ship. I think it's possible the Yak ailerons are more effective. It seems to roll very quickly. I really need more time on it to get used to it. It's been down for way too long.
I just recently switched from a Brillelli 60 to a DL-55 and lost 7oz in the process for an AUW of 18lbs 3oz. I didn't measure the CG before the first flight knowing that my pitch trim would probably change. Quess what! It didn't! So yes the Yak has a wiiide CG envelope. I did add some more EXPO to the elevator and rudder cuz the end result was a livlier tail. On the wing rock, My Yak had upright wing rock but none inverted at 18lbs 10oz before the engine swap and is just slightly better after losing 7oz and moving the CG aft. So if Joe is stiiiiil experiencing upright wing rock at 17lbs 13oz, I think I'll keep my tuned pipe and the extra umph!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 AM
propchief
My Feedback: (65)

I just read a post on the other site by Don Scur and he mentioned giving left aileron and releasing to stop wing rock. Might try that. I've also read a lot where Yaks are noted for wing rock in harriers.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 AM
cjcyclesrc

I always found like xtraflyr mentioned a little bumping of the rudder will smooth out any rock. It seems like it you try to fight it with the ailerons it doesn't stop. The extra is an awesome harrier machine. I think you hit the nail on the head though, the wind bumps the yak around a little more than the extra.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:10 AM
AirWizard

Eagle Pilot,

Would you recommend the DL over the B60 for this plane?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:14 PM
EAGLE PILOT

ORIGINAL: AirWizard

Eagle Pilot,

Would you recommend the DL over the B60 for this plane?
I don't have much time on the DL yet, but my initial impression is very good! The Brillelli is a good engine, but more sensitive to carb adjustments. slight needle adjustments had noticable effects on idle, transition, etc. Maybe that is the nature of piston port indution vs. reed induction on the DL. They both turned 7600 rpm w/ the tuned pipe on the first tank, but the DL was smoother (transition) operating on the first couple of flights. (the B-60 flamed out 3 out of my first 5 flights[:@]) I am able to set a reasonable idle rpm with the DL and have confidence that it won't flame out doing a wall or a blender And on top of all that I shaved 7oz off the AUW. Now all I need to do is go burn some gas!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:34 PM
JoeAirPort

I actually use both aileron and rudder. I couldn't decribe what I actually do since it's 2nd nature but I can keep even the Yak wings almost motionless in the roll axis during a harrier and elevator. A gust of wind will change all that and then I get it stable again. The Extra does this to a much lesser extent but still does it. They all do in a gust. As I said the Yak has been collecting dust for a few months. I'll get used to it. It was just an observation.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

jeff the 110 is down at the moment anyway, long story but my fault, stripped a plug, fixed it with helicoil, overtime say a seaping base gasket, bought some stuff for that and a new gasket, then broke the ring installing it, ordered another.....broke that one[:@], i was in shock, not sure what im doing wrong, didnt have any trouble 1st time, anyway they are on back order now, so it wont be good to go for another week or two after im over there anyway, still have the sd going strong though, going to try one more time with ring then take it off and send it in if i break another, need smaller fingers or something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.