Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Since I'm not building any planes this winter I could pipe a few of them. This will probably be a Jan-March project.

My stock DL muffler in only 3.4 ounces so My weight would come down by that much. So I'd be 18#, 3 ounce.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow Yakkers..

As I patiently await news of when my Yaks will be available, it has ocurred to me that buying one of these planes is a bit more like adopting or maybe getting a new and highly anticipated pet rather than just being an outright purchase. There is the planning stage, the waiting stage and when the plane finally arrives, celebration! But I do think that these planes are well worth the wait from what I have learned about them.

Thanks to Chris at EF for taking the time to personally answer some of my questions online.

Joe, good luck with your winter upgrades.

James
Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

No problem. I'm really getting addicted to pipes.

[:-][:-]

Old 12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Well guys, it seems like I'll be checking out on this thread after being here from the beginning. I've been offered a chance of a lifetime (for me) to own a dream plane. I'm in the process of picking up a bigairplanes pitts M12 and in order to get it finished and everything in it - I have to sell my EF yak and DA-50R. I have one of the first original 20 shipment yaks in the US. It's been my pride and joy and I hate to admit it - hanger queen! It's only got 2 flights on it as life and a son kept me from the air field for the last 2 1/2 years. Life is calming down and my son LOVES airplanes so the new pitts is going to be my ticket to spending some quality time with the son at the field.

Anyway, said all of that to say that the EF yak is still an awesome plane and I'll miss it. I still remember the WOW that came over my face as it made it's climb out and flew like my trainer. The last flight was a deadstick (throttle servo arm came off and closed - always keep the spring on!) and it landed like a champ.

If anyone's interested, I'll have it posted in the for sale section sometime today. New DA-50R w/ less then 20 minutes of run time and one of the original 20 in yellow and black already built and ready to go. Servos will be removed but everything stays. Continue on and enjoy the yak - it's still the best WOW club in the world.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
lokiyawl

Kevin,

Congratulations on the new project, I hope that works out for you. I was just wondering how much you planned to ask for your plane and what exhaust you had in it. I am probably going to build an electric version due to noise issues at my field but I am trying to keep my options open. I will be travelling down the east coast from Maine to Florida in a few weeks...

James

ORIGINAL: cadconversions

Well guys, it seems like I'll be checking out on this thread after being here from the beginning. I've been offered a chance of a lifetime (for me) to own a dream plane. I'm in the process of picking up a bigairplanes pitts M12 and in order to get it finished and everything in it - I have to sell my EF yak and DA-50R. I have one of the first original 20 shipment yaks in the US. It's been my pride and joy and I hate to admit it - hanger queen! It's only got 2 flights on it as life and a son kept me from the air field for the last 2 1/2 years. Life is calming down and my son LOVES airplanes so the new pitts is going to be my ticket to spending some quality time with the son at the field.

Anyway, said all of that to say that the EF yak is still an awesome plane and I'll miss it. I still remember the WOW that came over my face as it made it's climb out and flew like my trainer. The last flight was a deadstick (throttle servo arm came off and closed - always keep the spring on!) and it landed like a champ.

If anyone's interested, I'll have it posted in the for sale section sometime today. New DA-50R w/ less then 20 minutes of run time and one of the original 20 in yellow and black already built and ready to go. Servos will be removed but everything stays. Continue on and enjoy the yak - it's still the best WOW club in the world.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

I'll send you a PM instead of turning this into a for sale thread.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
lokiyawl

Hello,

The thread is quiet again... While surfing Youtube, I came across this great video of an EF 88" Yak with a DA 50 on KS 1060 tuned pipes. Some really nice spins in that video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXodi0H6NQ

The description says that the plane is 16 lbs. which sounds lighter than what I have been reading on the boards and I was just wondering if anyone here knew for sure who's plane ( could this be Chris from EF?) this was and anything about the setup. Is is common with a gasser to display the dry or the wet weight? I think that my electric version using the Plettenberg Terminator would come in something just over 18 lbs. so if I could save 2 lbs. with the DA and a tuned pipe I would want to take a closer look at that.

James
Old 12-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

That is the 87 inch version which is not made any longer. Not as big a fuse as the current 88. I always wanted one of those.

R
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
lokiyawl

Richard,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Looking more closely I can see that the fuselage is quite a bit slimmer on the model in the video. I have seen a few of the 87" models listed used from time to time, hopefully you can find one.

So the 88" Yak with the DA50 and a tuned pipe will normally come in around 18 lbs. from what I have been reading..does this sound correct?

James

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

That is the 87 inch version which is not made any longer. Not as big a fuse as the current 88. I always wanted one of those.

R
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
cjcyclesrc

I had two of the 87" Yaks. I flew one and the other I had another one in the box just in case. I wouldn't have even thought about getting rid of them until I got an 88" Yak. My 87" Yak weighed 15lbs. with a DA-50 and stock muffler. The 88" Yak Weighed 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I kept the 87's for a while and flew both planes side by side. I like the 88" Yak's better. The 87" is very light but I liked the feel of the 88" better. Two of my friends still have the planes I had. I got to fly the one that was in the box about a month ago and it's a blast but I still prefer the 88".
Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

I had two of the 87'' Yaks. I flew one and the other I had another one in the box just in case. I wouldn't have even thought about getting rid of them until I got an 88'' Yak. My 87'' Yak weighed 15lbs. with a DA-50 and stock muffler. The 88'' Yak Weighed 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I kept the 87's for a while and flew both planes side by side. I like the 88'' Yak's better. The 87'' is very light but I liked the feel of the 88'' better. Two of my friends still have the planes I had. I got to fly the one that was in the box about a month ago and it's a blast but I still prefer the 88''.
Lighter isn't always better,that's for sure. I saw one of the 87" fly before was kinda bumped around some.. My 88" seems much more stable in the same wind the 87"was flying in.

Frank
Old 12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
JoeAirPort

Like Charles says, it's the sheer cubic volume of the 88" that makes it so floaty. I had the 87" too and the 88" flies way better IMO. I wouldn't go back even if I could. Bigger is better with these planes and the 88" is a lot bigger.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

not sure if they still are around but ultrarc had the 87 versions for sale, different scheme
Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

James, that is me flying the very first prototype of the original 87" Yak back in late 2003/early 2004. I think Wayne Geffon filmed that on one of his visits down here. That plane had the same DA-50 I still use in prototypes.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

In case anyone is interested in a very good deal - I am selling my Yak 88" and more. It is the red & white. I have a Brillelli 60cc with muffler, Zoar 23x8, MTW can and DA header, 5 ea. HS 5955 servos, SWB arms, Esprit Models white fiberglass spinner, wheels, etc. My lack of time is your gain. This stuff is all new. The only thing I did was hinge the stabs and glue the horns on. It's done right (Started in 1969). I actually picked up the motor a couple years ago at Scott's house in Avon, MN which is about an hour from me. He fired it up in the garage. Nice motor!

I know this isn't the classified section but I wanted to give the faithful readers of this thread the heads up before I listed everything. I am not happy about parting with it but it has to be. I haven't flown in two years and next year doesn't look good either.

Chuck
Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
JoeAirPort

Noyce floyen mate.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
lokiyawl

Charles,

Thanks for sharing your experience on these to models and how they compare. I have not yet flown either one. I like your strategy of having a spare kit on hand at all times and I have placed an order for two 88" Yak kits which will give me a back up kit to pull parts from if needed. I am really looking forward to the 88" Yak. I cannot think of anyone that has flown it that did not like it..

James

I had two of the 87'' Yaks. I flew one and the other I had another one in the box just in case. I wouldn't have even thought about getting rid of them until I got an 88'' Yak. My 87'' Yak weighed 15lbs. with a DA-50 and stock muffler. The 88'' Yak Weighed 17.25lbs with a Brillelli 60. I kept the 87's for a while and flew both planes side by side. I like the 88'' Yak's better. The 87'' is very light but I liked the feel of the 88'' better. Two of my friends still have the planes I had. I got to fly the one that was in the box about a month ago and it's a blast but I still prefer the 88''.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Thanks for the input. I am sure looking forward to finding out how the 88" flies!

James

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Like Charles says, it's the sheer cubic volume of the 88'' that makes it so floaty. I had the 87'' too and the 88'' flies way better IMO. I wouldn't go back even if I could. Bigger is better with these planes and the 88'' is a lot bigger.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM
lokiyawl

Chris,

That was a very inspirational video, I really liked the spins and tumbles, fantastic flying! Sorry for the confusion over it being the 87" version. It sounds like the DA50 has really served you well. I will be getting some hands on experience with a DA50 on my brothers Edge over the Holidays, he has nothing but good things to say about that engine.

James

ORIGINAL: EXTREME FLIGHT

James, that is me flying the very first prototype of the original 87'' Yak back in late 2003/early 2004. I think Wayne Geffon filmed that on one of his visits down here. That plane had the same DA-50 I still use in prototypes.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
cjcyclesrc

Here is a couple pictures of the 87" Yak I used to fly. Joe and Frank are right on the improvements I saw. The 88 seems to be more stable in a harrier and the huge fuse makes it feel very light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33496.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1330217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14794.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1330218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24341.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1330219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82758.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1330220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25002.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1330221  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Charles,

Thanks for sharing your experience on these to models and how they compare. I have not yet flown either one. I like your strategy of having a spare kit on hand at all times and I have placed an order for two 88'' Yak kits which will give me a back up kit to pull parts from if needed. I am really looking forward to the 88'' Yak. I cannot think of anyone that has flown it that did not like it..

James
It helped me push a little harder knowing I had the parts at home to fix it. The funny thing is I never used them but they were good for piece of mind. The 88" Yak is a great airplane. I just got another one myself. In the original color scheme of course.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: CHM

In case anyone is interested in a very good deal - I am selling my Yak 88'' and more. It is the red & white. I have a Brillelli 60cc with muffler, Zoar 23x8, MTW can and DA header, 5 ea. HS 5955 servos, SWB arms, Esprit Models white fiberglass spinner, wheels, etc. My lack of time is your gain. This stuff is all new. The only thing I did was hinge the stabs and glue the horns on. It's done right (Started in 1969). I actually picked up the motor a couple years ago at Scott's house in Avon, MN which is about an hour from me. He fired it up in the garage. Nice motor!

I know this isn't the classified section but I wanted to give the faithful readers of this thread the heads up before I listed everything. I am not happy about parting with it but it has to be. I haven't flown in two years and next year doesn't look good either.

Chuck
Sorry to hear you never made it to the air with it. I'm sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

Thanks cjcyclesrc!

The servos are gone. I'll list the rest as I have time this week.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 AM
ArcherIIDriver

Here is a couple pictures of the 87'' Yak I used to fly. Joe and Frank are right on the improvements I saw. The 88 seems to be more stable in a harrier and the huge fuse makes it feel very light.
Hey, I think I've seen that field before [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM
lokiyawl

Charles,

It sounds like we think alike in the area of having a back up kit. I have done the same thing where possible with all of the other planes that I own that I just can't live without! (grin) With the exception of a midair with an indoor foamy, I have actually have not lost any planes to crashes for more than 5 years but I have needed bits and pcs. that would have taken a while to order (assuming that those parts were in stock) and have shipped etc. But it does help me to relax knowing that if the worst does happen that I have everything needed to restore or to rebuild my plane. I also figure that if I never need anything out of the back up 88" kit that it will be relatively easy to resell at a fair price so the only real cost is the loss of some storage.

I am glad to hear that you decided on getting the original color scheme..that leaves more Yellow and Blacks for me! (grin)

James

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Charles,

Thanks for sharing your experience on these to models and how they compare. I have not yet flown either one. I like your strategy of having a spare kit on hand at all times and I have placed an order for two 88'' Yak kits which will give me a back up kit to pull parts from if needed. I am really looking forward to the 88'' Yak. I cannot think of anyone that has flown it that did not like it..

James
It helped me push a little harder knowing I had the parts at home to fix it. The funny thing is I never used them but they were good for piece of mind. The 88'' Yak is a great airplane. I just got another one myself. In the original color scheme of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.