Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

Dave,

Thanks for the post, I now feel even better about having bought the 88" Yak instead of the 110", even though I know that I want to eventually end up with the 110". While I would really like to have the 110" now, the reality is that sometimes when I am flying rollers or inverted I still hit the rudder wrong from time to time. the point being I am still learning 3D and I would be more nervous flying the 110" than the 88". I think that I will learn more quickly flying the 88" than the 110" at this time. I was able to almost buy two 88" airframes for the same price as the 110" for instance. I could not have have bought a back up kit for the 110" just too much money. It helps knowing that if the worst happens that with the application of time that I can put my favorite plane back together! I am currently holding off on buying the Plettenberg Terminator motor and ESC since that is a major investment and I want to be absolutely sure that I am going the right direction with the power systems. Work has me going 7 days a week anyway so not much free time for building right now anyway. I feel that I am learning a lot with my 74" Yaks and they are small enough to carry inside of my car. (though the wife has to ride in the backseat while the 74" rides in the front passenger seat..thank goodness that she is into RC and understands! (grin)) With respect to the colour schemes, it's funny because I originally wanted the Red and White 74" Yak but EF was sold out and only had the Yellow and Black and I thought that the black would be hard to see. But after flying the plane I found the Yellow and Black to be the most visible colours I have ever had on a plane and I really began to like it. When EF discontinued the 74" I found myself without a back up kit and they were also sold out of most of the 74" parts in the Yellow and Black as well and I was always worried about maybe losing my favorite plane. I searched for a used plane or kit and found 2, that naturally were Red and White. So after flying the Red and White scheme for a while I have found I really like it too and that it shows up better at certain times, so I agree, it is nice to have more than one scheme. I may end up having to sell at least one of my 74" Yaks to pay for the power system for the 88" so I don't exist in a perfect world either. On the other hand there is certainly something to be said for working your way up and anticipating the next level. Dare I say it, but it would rather suck to have all of my ultimate planes handed to me when I was say 10 or something, I feel I would have missed out on a lot..there really is no perfect world!

How about keeping an eye out for a damaged 88"/parts and building up an inexpensive model? Some of my past favorite planes were the ones that were given to me that I rebuilt and had very little in them..

James

ORIGINAL: diamondave

i miss mine, but unfortunatly to get the bigger one something had to go financialy, and i really wanted the bigger one, i tried selling both my 88 and my 33%sdyak, my 88 sold 1st so that was that, still wish i had it though, nothing wrong with staying in the ''50cc'' size class, alot of people thats the biggest plane they ever will have, or want, i was flying with alot of people that had 150cc size planes and they were too much $$ for me, so the 110 was the perfect step up, and it actually ''appears'' bigger than some of the more expensive big planes i flew with.....i definetly dont regret getting the 110, but i do still mis the 88, in a perfect world i would have been able to keep them both, get different schemes for each, that would have been sweet, there is times when i want a slightly smaller plane to fly
Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I'd post some pic's of the dome flying last night (since there's not much building going on in the thread). It was pretty cold last night so the heating system had troubles keeping up. Was a blast as usual. My new foamy flies much better than my last one.

That picture of hoving 2 feet away is Shawn, our club ace pilot. I'm working on getting that close.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cz80099.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	660.0 KB
ID:	1353372   Click image for larger version

Name:	ql33297.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	642.2 KB
ID:	1353373   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg91881.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	1353374   Click image for larger version

Name:	rk23860.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	600.9 KB
ID:	1353375   Click image for larger version

Name:	it99016.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	604.3 KB
ID:	1353376   Click image for larger version

Name:	ne54815.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	1353377   Click image for larger version

Name:	hj89257.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	1353378  
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Hey, Joe...that looks like a blast! I enjoy a little "foamy action" now and then, myself. I'm hooked on the Charger RC foamies...just flew my new"ish" Fuzion 3D for the 1st time last weekend. I let/made Dave fly it & now I'm pretty sure I've got him talked into getting one . They are great for when you don't want to or can't take the bigguns out to the field.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

I would love to try my EF Extra EXP in a big place like that !! How do you go about getting to use a place like that,how much $ for your club to use the facilities ?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
JoeAirPort

Just look around for gyms and golf domes...any large open indoor space. We charge $10 per pilot to fly from 10 pm to 1 am. We just pass on all the money to the golf dome owner. Lately we've had around 20 pilots so it's been around $200 a night. It's gotta cost him a fortune to heat it on nights like last night. It was near zero outside. It has to be a pretty slow flying big plane...only the really small fast flying planes can make the turns. The Shockflyer I have is great. My buddy's Fancy Foam is even better. It's only 6 oz and as big as mine...but mine is 8.5 ounces. That's a huge difference. They are both 34" wing spans. His does 3D absolutely effortless. It's amazing to see. The EF Extra EXP might be a hand full in this dome, no sure. It would have to be VERY light. It's worth trying but I wouldn't want to see you damage it. Some have tried with bigger planes and they usually end up being a handfull to slow down enough to manuever.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
xtraflyr

So I guess a 50cc plane is out of the question ?!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:15 PM
JoeAirPort

If it weighs under 10 pounds you should be fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Wow, 4 hour flying sessions, that is great! How large is the dome you are flying in? The Building we do our flying in is 70' x 150' which tends to limit one to a lighter plane if you want to be able to relax and do a lot of manuvers. Your flying area looks like it might be larger that what we have been flying in but it's hard to tell from a photo. I once brought my Precision Aerobatics Addiction to the gym to see if I could actually fly it in there. That plane is around a pound and a half I think so not in the foamy category at all but still a slow flyer. I had to keep it in a harrier the whole time but it was actually not too hard to fly in the gym. Glad to hear that you got some flying in, thanks for posting the photos.

James

A few photos, the red plane is the PA Addiction, the biplane is the wife's Donuts Models Aito and the last photo is my Donuts Models Fusion.

Name:	Mk26905.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1353785   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44470.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	1353786   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28297.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1353787  
Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
lokiyawl

Xtraflyer,

Here is a Sebart Katana (similar wing loading to the EXP) being flown in a fairly large gym. The pilot is pretty amazing IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mo51...eature=related

James

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I would love to try my EF Extra EXP in a big place like that !! How do you go about getting to use a place like that,how much $ for your club to use the facilities ?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
lokiyawl

My Cavan air tires came in today and wow are they ever light! I have not had time to put them on the gram scale but I am sure that the numbers will look good. I am wondering how much the plastic rims can take? I am generally flying on grass and usually my landings are pretty soft but stuff happens... The Robart hinges also came in, maybe I would be fine with the stock ones but these were not very expensive and I cannot imagine how many hours would go into changing them all out. I am really looking forward to starting the build, my first project will be to remove the tunnel which should lighten the plane by about 2 ounces..every little bit helps. I need to come up with a light but strong way to lenghten the fuselage since the electric motor is really short and actually rides inside the spinner.

James
Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

you will like the wheels, i had them on mine and flew off pavement, they were over a year old when i sold the plane and holding up nice, the tires themselves were a little worn on the inside from the pavement and the gear spreading out and leaning in a tad when they did, it looked like tires were on a car that was out of alignment, but still were on there, id imagine off grass you should be good to go for a very long time barring any major mishaps
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM
lokiyawl

Dave,

That is good to know. I did get a back up set of wheels just in case but it sounds like these will give me good service. It's calm and clear today, charging batteries and hoping to get in a bit of Yak time today. Hi to everyone.

James

ORIGINAL: diamondave

you will like the wheels, i had them on mine and flew off pavement, they were over a year old when i sold the plane and holding up nice, the tires themselves were a little worn on the inside from the pavement and the gear spreading out and leaning in a tad when they did, it looked like tires were on a car that was out of alignment, but still were on there, id imagine off grass you should be good to go for a very long time barring any major mishaps
Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
JoeAirPort

James, it's a golf dome and I'd guess at least 100 yards deep...300 feet. It's about as wide. I'm sure my estimates are low. It's a blast to fly in except I don't like how close we have to fly. It's easy to mid air due to so many pilots there (as much as 20). It's hard to find a quiet time to fly if you don't like the traffic. After midnight is best.

Those Kavan air tires held up all year on my grass field with no issues at all. They weigh 3.7 ounces per pair. Very light indeed. I got a pair of the cheaper Kavan tires as a back up and never needed them. They weigh 3.9 ounces and don't look nearly as cool as the air's chromed plastic rims and tires.

Name:	us54833.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1355329   Click image for larger version

Name:	us52557.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1355330   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay74580.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1355331  
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
ArcherIIDriver

I've got ~ 60 flights on my "less cool looking" Kavans and they are holding up great. Flying off of grass they still look brand new.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Thanks for the photos and the weights of the Kavans. I am really impressed with them and look forward to seeing them lift off with my Yak for the first time!

Wow, a 300' Dome sounds great but 20 planes in the air at the same time is a lot. I think that the most I have ever seen in our gym was 4 and usually it is just one. I hope that you are a night owl!

Today the wife and I played hookey from work and went flying..don't tell anyone ok? It was just too nice to pass up. After many windy cold days, the wind quit, the sun came out and the temps popped up into the 60's..a gorgeous day..to nice to miss. So we loaded up 4 planes, most of our batteries a couple chargers and drove to the local field. We had the whole place to ourselves and I got in 7 nice flights on my 74" Yak. The wife was nice enough to take some photos. We really needed a flying day bad, I hope that all of those Yak drivers out there grounded by Old Man Winter get a chance to fly soon as well.. Here are a few photos from today.

James

Name:	Pn37656.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1355739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71782.jpg
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	1355740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59600.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	1355741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35393.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1355742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64675.jpg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1355743  
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 AM
xtraflyr

Great pics James,your braver then I hovering that low !!

Frank
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 AM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Well I have a backup kit for the Red and White 74" so that helps some with the braveness/braindead part of the equation. (grin) I was able to remove almost 3/4 of a pound of weight from this plane by changing tires, gear, motor, and going with a much smaller RX battery. Unfortunately all of the weight came out of the nose so the plane was so tail heavy that if I trimmed for level right side up and then rolled inverted, it would climb so hard that it would actually do a loop! So I moved the RX battery out onto the front of the motor box and now I am only slightly tail heavy and the plane flies so much better. I just cannot bear to add lead to my plane so I need to come up with a way to get the CG a bit further forward..maybe I can move the motor forward some. The reduced weight really made the plane come to life and it was strong before. The plane litterally jumps when the throttle is advanced and the pullouts from a hover are the strongest I have seen in any plane to date. I set for a 7 minute flight since I was planning to do a lot of hovering. I probably hovered for 1/2 of the first flight and 1/3 of the second. When I recharged, checked the MAH useage and had only used 2500 of 3850 on the first flight and 2100 on the second so I am super happy with the setup. My rolling harriers were really poor today and I think it is because I just have not been flying often enough. So it's back to work now for a few weeks but wow was a real blast!

I do have one question for everyone. My 74" Yak makes all kinds of weird moaning noises when I am flying it. I thought at first that something was wrong with the motor, but I can shut the motor off and the noise is still there. It honestly sounds like a moan with a buzz in it and the noise is related to what I do with the sticks. It is so loud that it is distracting! I am wondering if the air flowing into the cowl is passing between the cowl and the canopy and causing the noise? Has anyone else noticed any weird noises coming from their planes??

James

Frank
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 AM
JoeAirPort

It could be the air entering the big cowling. Sort of a low pitched whistle maybe? I never heard it from my 88" Yak but I have a louver over the front. I know the Comp Arf's whistle when you deflect the ailerons. Are your surfaces sealed?

BTW, we don't have all 20 pilots in the air at once but I counted 8 for a short time. Any more than 4 and it's just too much. There's only so much space to stay awy from other planes indoors.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Frank,

Well I have a backup kit for the Red and White 74'' so that helps some with the braveness/braindead part of the equation. (grin) I was able to remove almost 3/4 of a pound of weight from this plane by changing tires, gear, motor, and going with a much smaller RX battery. Unfortunately all of the weight came out of the nose so the plane was so tail heavy that if I trimmed for level right side up and then rolled inverted, it would climb so hard that it would actually do a loop! So I moved the RX battery out onto the front of the motor box and now I am only slightly tail heavy and the plane flies so much better. I just cannot bear to add lead to my plane so I need to come up with a way to get the CG a bit further forward..maybe I can move the motor forward some. The reduced weight really made the plane come to life and it was strong before. The plane litterally jumps when the throttle is advanced and the pullouts from a hover are the strongest I have seen in any plane to date. I set for a 7 minute flight since I was planning to do a lot of hovering. I probably hovered for 1/2 of the first flight and 1/3 of the second. When I recharged, checked the MAH useage and had only used 2500 of 3850 on the first flight and 2100 on the second so I am super happy with the setup. My rolling harriers were really poor today and I think it is because I just have not been flying often enough. So it's back to work now for a few weeks but wow was a real blast!

I do have one question for everyone. My 74'' Yak makes all kinds of weird moaning noises when I am flying it. I thought at first that something was wrong with the motor, but I can shut the motor off and the noise is still there. It honestly sounds like a moan with a buzz in it and the noise is related to what I do with the sticks. It is so loud that it is distracting! I am wondering if the air flowing into the cowl is passing between the cowl and the canopy and causing the noise? Has anyone else noticed any weird noises coming from their planes??

James

Frank
resonance?
does it happen at certain rpm's?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

I really need to figure out how to upload audio/video files, the noise is rather hard to describe and so weird sounding that I cannot figure out what could be going on...and besides a few people might be amused by my yaking Yak. (grin) The tone frequency is quite low.. I guess I have a baratone Yak. (grin) It's sort of a "wooooo" noise and the sound is louder when I pull on the elevator momentarily and also louder in a turn. All of my surfaces are well sealed and the linkages are tight. If a plane could be haunted..THIS is the noise you would expect to hear! (grin) But yes there is a slight whistle when I throw in ailerons at speed but that noise is a whisper compared to the moaning which completely drowns out the motor and prop noise at times. The front of my cowl is completely open and I was planning to build my 88" the same way to help with cooling..unless there is a reason I shouldn't.

I must have misread your post about the 20 pilots in the dome thanks for the clarification and yes 4 planes in the air at once is still too many to be comfortable. Foamies might not look like much but for me at least I have found that it takes a lot of hours to build them light... so you don't want to be in a midair. The wife and I had one with our Donuts Models Fusions.. mine was completely destroyed..I think I have a photo...

James

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

It could be the air entering the big cowling. Sort of a low pitched whistle maybe? I never heard it from my 88'' Yak but I have a louver over the front. I know the Comp Arf's whistle when you deflect the ailerons. Are your surfaces sealed?

BTW, we don't have all 20 pilots in the air at once but I counted 8 for a short time. Any more than 4 and it's just too much. There's only so much space to stay awy from other planes indoors.

Name:	Nl31045.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1356192  
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 PM
xtraflyr

It's the resonance like Gator stated. My 74" made the same noise with the Brillelli 46gt on it..
Frank..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

"resonance? does it happen at certain rpm's?"

That is the weirdest part, it will do it at 0 RPMS! When the noise started, I thought for sure I had a bearing going out in the motor, so I sent the motor off to be rebuilt. Then after installing a new motor, the noise actually go worse so I turned the brake on so that the motor would stop completely at low stick and I found that the noise was still there. I am planning to bring this plane to FX3D so if you are there, you will get to hear the moaning for yourself if I have not fixed it first..

James
Old 01-14-2010, 08:56 PM
xtraflyr

Hey guys,
My friend Lee posted this video on You Tube of the EF 88" Edge 540. Man he has a great set of thumbs !!

Frank

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUt7kGkJsA[/youtube]
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

I just watched the video. The Edge looks to be a good bit faster than the Yak and maybe it is a bit lighter perhaps? The flying was pretty amazing, I really like the knife edge spin, transitioning to an inverted spin with the low natural looking recovery...it will be a while before I try that one. Also liked the low harrier rolls..straight down the runway. I agree, Lee is quite a pilot.

I did some online research to see how long people were having to practice harrier rolls to get them down. Found one guy that said to perfect his rollers took him 3400 hours! So I guess I will never perfect mine..but that's ok it's just for fun anyways..

I got to fly one 50CC sized Edge (not sure of the brand, but not EF) and I thought that it was the easiest plane to hover that I have flown so far..just really predictable and stable feeling. The EF Edge looks great!

James

Hey guys,
My friend Lee posted this video on You Tube of the EF 88'' Edge 540. Man he has a great set of thumbs !!

Frank

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqUt7kGkJsA[/youtube]
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Gator,

''resonance? does it happen at certain rpm's?''

That is the weirdest part, it will do it at 0 RPMS! When the noise started, I thought for sure I had a bearing going out in the motor, so I sent the motor off to be rebuilt. Then after installing a new motor, the noise actually go worse so I turned the brake on so that the motor would stop completely at low stick and I found that the noise was still there. I am planning to bring this plane to FX3D so if you are there, you will get to hear the moaning for yourself if I have not fixed it first..

James
so, zero rpm, no stick movement, and you get the noise?
wind resonance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.