Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Fast and loads of torque. What about the throttle servo? Can that handle the Lipos?
I might need another 7955 for that or just get one of those Spektrum regs that's very light and use that on the throttle channel.It will still be lighter then using two regs, and two switches using the Lipo's, and the other servos will still kick butt !! I'll have to ask what Lee Morey did for his throttle servo ..
Yeah I asked because my Yak is 7955 and Extra 5955, both have 5985's on the throttle. If I did 2S Lipos I'd have to reduce the voltage to the throttle. Is there a reg that works in line with a servo? I thought they all were made for battery switch harnesses.

My AR7000's can work with Lipo, it's just the throttle servos that I wonder about.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:13 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it might work pretty well until my thumb fell off from all of the stick movements to induce the flapping! (grin)

James

"Nice video, got an idea....put a 26cc motor on your Yak and augment with Flapper Power!!! Should be around 15 pounds."
Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM
lokiyawl

xtraflyr,

The thing I like the most about 3D planes is the responsiveness..esp. on 3D rates. With the old trainers I used to fly, it sometimes did not feel like I had much control ( because I didn't mostly!) and there was not a good connection between what I did with the sticks and what the plane did. Having faster servos helps to further improve that connection, the control surfaces begin to move sooner and they tend to better keep up with whatever the thumb is doing. So actually with faster servos, you don't need more Expo but maybe we need to be more cautious about radical stick movements since we can put more stress on the airframe? For sure I am going to set my indoor planes with 7.4 volts! It might shorten the life of the servo a bit but I don't thnk that this matters much on an indoor plane. I am just really glad to see all of the improvements that are coming along in this hobby, our options are better than ever.

James

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

I couldn't find a 7955 You Tube video but check out the speed of this JR servo on 7.5 volts! Insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoc4i5cW2Fc

I read some Hitec responses about running some of their other smaller servos on 7.4 volts and they said that it would work but that the servo motor life would be shortened. I am sure that more HV servos will soon be available.

James
Even my LHS sells me the 7955 for $95ea. which is still cheaper then Horizon sells them for.. I may check with Chief when I'm ready for more servos... That's 333 on 6 voltson 7.4 YEE HAA!!
[/quote]
Holy Crap!! I'll need to use like 150 for my EXPO value !!hahaha!!
[/quote]
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

What size prop are you running with you DA 85? Were you able to use the stock landing gear with your setup? Any idea of how much static thrust ( no doubt a LOT) you are making with that engine? I am tring to pin down my options for the electric setup with regards to prop size etc. It looks like my options run from 24" up to 27" for prop diameter and I am wondering if there is enough ground clearence. So full of fuel and ready to fly you are around 20- 20 1/2 lbs. and you feel that the plane flies fines at that weight?

Thanks,

James

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

mine with Da85 is 19 lbs even, flys great
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Fast and loads of torque. What about the throttle servo? Can that handle the Lipos?
I might need another 7955 for that or just get one of those Spektrum regs that's very light and use that on the throttle channel.It will still be lighter then using two regs, and two switches using the Lipo's, and the other servos will still kick butt !! I'll have to ask what Lee Morey did for his throttle servo ..
Yeah I asked because my Yak is 7955 and Extra 5955, both have 5985's on the throttle. If I did 2S Lipos I'd have to reduce the voltage to the throttle. Is there a reg that works in line with a servo? I thought they all were made for battery switch harnesses.

My AR7000's can work with Lipo, it's just the throttle servos that I wonder about.
This is what I was thinking about using. They mostly use them between a gyro and reciever,but can be used for other applications also !!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=JRPVR5203
Old 01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
JoeAirPort

Wow Frank, I never knew that existed. Very cool.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Gatorb8

Gator,

What size prop are you running with you DA 85? Were you able to use the stock landing gear with your setup? Any idea of how much static thrust ( no doubt a LOT) you are making with that engine? I am tring to pin down my options for the electric setup with regards to prop size etc. It looks like my options run from 24'' up to 27'' for prop diameter and I am wondering if there is enough ground clearence. So full of fuel and ready to fly you are around 20- 20 1/2 lbs. and you feel that the plane flies fines at that weight?

Thanks,

James

I'm running a Vess 27A, 20oz fuel is about 15 oz weight so my AUW fueled is 19 lbs 15 oz on one scale, another was 2 oz lighter AUW fueled
There is plenty of ground clearance if you use the CF gear, I think the alum would flex and be a problem on a 27
Flies great at that weight, I was telling Charles I think it flies better but maybe it's due to the power and thrust, not the wingloading.
I think I read somewhere that setup develops close to 50 lbs thrust, haven't measured it myself
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Here is a recent vid of GatorB8 with his overpowered machine..

You are cleared for take off....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJbW...layer_embedded
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Gatorb8

How did you get the WrongWayCam in my cockpit?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Wow Frank, I never knew that existed. Very cool.
Hey Joe,
Here's a link to a thread about this very subject ....http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49546 remember to use f l y i n g g i a n t s .c o m in place of the ****

Frank
Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
lokiyawl

Gator,

50 lbs. of thrust on a 20 lb. plane? Wow that is amazing! How is your flight time? I am glad to hear that you can swing a 27" prop ok with the carbon gear, that will cover all of my possible options.

James

Gator,

What size prop are you running with you DA 85? Were you able to use the stock landing gear with your setup? Any idea of how much static thrust ( no doubt a LOT) you are making with that engine? I am tring to pin down my options for the electric setup with regards to prop size etc. It looks like my options run from 24'' up to 27'' for prop diameter and I am wondering if there is enough ground clearence. So full of fuel and ready to fly you are around 20- 20 1/2 lbs. and you feel that the plane flies fines at that weight?

Thanks,

James

I'm running a Vess 27A, 20oz fuel is about 15 oz weight so my AUW fueled is 19 lbs 15 oz on one scale, another was 2 oz lighter AUW fueled
There is plenty of ground clearance if you use the CF gear, I think the alum would flex and be a problem on a 27
Flies great at that weight, I was telling Charles I think it flies better but maybe it's due to the power and thrust, not the wingloading.
I think I read somewhere that setup develops close to 50 lbs thrust, haven't measured it myself
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Gatorb8

Gator,

50 lbs. of thrust on a 20 lb. plane? Wow that is amazing! How is your flight time? I am glad to hear that you can swing a 27'' prop ok with the carbon gear, that will cover all of my possible options.

James

Gator,

Thanks,

James

right now I fly 12 min and have about 2-3 min reserve, I think it gets good fuel economy because it's light and only takes about 4 clicks to hover
My first timer was set to kick on at 2 clicks, what a mistake cause I flew under that a lot, came in empty once and changed the timer to start when the engine starts!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Here is a recent vid of GatorB8 with his overpowered machine..

You are cleared for take off....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJbW...layer_embedded

ive burried my spedo on my hog at 120 one time, i thought that was plenty fast, couldnt imagine much more...btw i had a peanut style helmet so more wind on my face, lips were probably behind me
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
lokiyawl

"right now I fly 12 min and have about 2-3 min reserve, I think it gets good fuel economy because it's light and only takes about 4 clicks to hover
My first timer was set to kick on at 2 clicks, what a mistake cause I flew under that a lot, came in empty once and changed the timer to start when the engine starts! "

Gator,

If I put enough battery in my 88" to fly 12 minutes, I would probably be around 22 lbs. or so. My flight times will probably be in the 7-8 minute range with an AUW of around 19-19-3 lbs. though I am still looking at all of my options. The thrust to weight on your plane is really off the charts! I will probably be in the upper 30's in pounds of static thrust with my setup, but 2:1 is plenty for me, that is what I have on my 74" and I seldom use it actually. I do like have good power for pull outs and for getting out of a hairy situation but I don't do a lot of speeding around with my Yaks. That is funny to think about flying below 2 clicks of throttle! So you feel like your 88" actually flies better with the 85 than the 50..or would you prefer to have the power you have and less weight? It is possible to go too far with making a plane light I have found, where the wind bothers it more and it starts to not really fly like a plane in ways. On the other hand, 3D flying isn't really flying a plane like it was intended anyways! (grin) And do be careful on that rocket ship motorcycle!

James
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
diamondave

thats almost a waste of an 85 really, it should be in a plane with upper 90" span that weighs 24lbs or so.....but if i had one lying around and got a crashed yak to fix i might have done the same thing
Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 PM
diamondave

go this route next

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49926
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
diamondave

type in fg for that
Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM
lokiyawl

Dave,

A DA 120 on an 88" Yak? Your kidding right? If they come out with a DA 60 I might have to take a look at that, I have not yet ordered the electric setup for my 88"s. I have not seen the DA twins run yet, do they shake less than the single cylinder engines? I believe I heard that both cylinders fire at the same time to help cancel vibration. How is the 110" Yak doing these days?

James

ORIGINAL: diamondave

go this route next

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
JoeAirPort

I flew the last week in November and it feels like forever. It's only been like 5 weeks !!! [:@]
Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Hey it snowed on us here in Florida this AM so a bit cold to fly down here today even! Last winter we were in Nova Scotia and it was a great time to build planes, we thought that we would be couped up inside for months but actually there were warmer days right through the winter to go flying, hopefully you will get some soon. The indoor stuff is a real blast but it's not quite the same as the big Yak..

James

I flew the last week in November and it feels like forever. It's only been like 5 weeks !!! [:@]
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah thank God that tonight is dome flying. I'm really looking forward to it. And really in some ways it's more fun than the big Yak. No wind, nice and quiet, you can fly right in front of you. The foam planes have their advantages being so light. I think they're a blast. But I miss the blue skies and fresh air...and the big planes of course.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
diamondave

Dave,

A DA 120 on an 88'' Yak? Your kidding right? If they come out with a DA 60 I might have to take a look at that, I have not yet ordered the electric setup for my 88''s. I have not seen the DA twins run yet, do they shake less than the single cylinder engines? I believe I heard that both cylinders fire at the same time to help cancel vibration. How is the 110'' Yak doing these days?

James

go this route next

110 is doing great, love it.....i think the theory is any twin is supposed to be smoother than a big single, although my zdz80 seems to run pretty darn smooth imo
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

I like the fact that with the foam planes, I can relax and just try anything that I want without to much worry. Do you have a good group there to fly with? The indoors I have flown in tend to be more fun socially since it is quiet and close. Let me know how the dome flying goes.

James

Yeah thank God that tonight is dome flying. I'm really looking forward to it. And really in some ways it's more fun than the big Yak. No wind, nice and quiet, you can fly right in front of you. The foam planes have their advantages being so light. I think they're a blast. But I miss the blue skies and fresh air...and the big planes of course.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
lokiyawl

Dave,

A DA 120 on an 88'' Yak? Your kidding right? If they come out with a DA 60 I might have to take a look at that, I have not yet ordered the electric setup for my 88''s. I have not seen the DA twins run yet, do they shake less than the single cylinder engines? I believe I heard that both cylinders fire at the same time to help cancel vibration. How is the 110'' Yak doing these days?

James

go this route next

110 is doing great, love it.....i think the theory is any twin is supposed to be smoother than a big single, although my zdz80 seems to run pretty darn smooth imo
Dave,

Glad to hear that all is well with the 110". If the 88's fly as nice as I think that they will, I will probably stay with that size for a long time to come since they are a bit easier to carry around.

James
Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM
diamondave

i miss mine, but unfortunatly to get the bigger one something had to go financialy, and i really wanted the bigger one, i tried selling both my 88 and my 33%sdyak, my 88 sold 1st so that was that, still wish i had it though, nothing wrong with staying in the "50cc" size class, alot of people thats the biggest plane they ever will have, or want, i was flying with alot of people that had 150cc size planes and they were too much $$ for me, so the 110 was the perfect step up, and it actually "appears" bigger than some of the more expensive big planes i flew with.....i definetly dont regret getting the 110, but i do still mis the 88, in a perfect world i would have been able to keep them both, get different schemes for each, that would have been sweet, there is times when i want a slightly smaller plane to fly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.