Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Funny, it's plain funny, how the faithful will turn on it's own (The Original 87" EF Yak-54).

I flew my 87" all day Sunday, it IS the definition of the EXTREME in Extreme Flight. Period.

I myself and another 88" owner were there, and we both said ..."How can you get motivated to finish the 88" after flying this?...." The answer is, the 88" is a chameleon of styles.

I am not going to detail it out, but I, and few others, find it laughable , how some of you 88" owners, have turned on the 87" ,,....maybe ostensibly because it is now sold by someone else??

How quickly we forget history, and our glee,....what a shame.

The 88" is TWEAKED to fit a few more classes of flying, no doubt. But, to spit at, snff at, even compare the 87" to this plane is apples and oranges. The 87" is a true thoroughbred 3D Monster, the Original, and it belongs right alongside the 68" in the RC Model Hall of Fame. It set standards, woke up an industry, and layed to waste ALL the competition.

So you can change your glee over to the "new" plane, it's hard not to love your new toy, but remember when the 87" was King, and everybody crowed about the way it tumbled fast and furious ( which I did a lot of this Sunday). My, how fickle we have become.

I love my 88" and my 87,s", two VERY different planes, but, each has it's flaws, and each shines like no other, but it's sisters.

I think the pooh-poohing of the 87" in this thread is disgraceful . LOL.

Chris, in the decades to come when a Museum is erected, contact me, my pristine 68's and 87's NIB can be used as the examples.....maybe THEN the masses will remember what started it all, and wax philoshopical about the roots of EXTREME FLIGHT 3D.

Until then, I can enjoy all your new offerings , as they come out, and not lose sight of or pooh-pooh what got me here.

Well said I think???? I have never owned any of EF's planes so I will not say good or bad about the previous models. I now own the 88" EF Yak and I can say it is a very nice model. The only complaint I have with the design is the canopy lip at the rear of canopy where it sits on the turtel deck. VERY brittle and delicate. I'm not sure what is made of but it is way to delicate for the applacation. Mne has broken off with just the slighest of pressure put on it. Now I know it is just cosmetic and the plane will fly just fine. But Chris you need to address this issue, maybe a different material of some sort.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I hope the jocularity of my last post is not lost or twisted.

It just seems that as soon as someone comes on thr thread and ask's the obvious...87 vs. 88 , istead of giving the 87 it's EXTREME due, it is summarily dismissed.

It's laughable.

The 88 flies like the EXTREME 32 1/2 % it is. The 87' flies like a kite, just like the someone else said,...An EXTREME kite.

Neither is better. They are the best of the classes they are in, which are different.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:45 AM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

I think I agree too. This is my first Yak, and my third small gasser. I really did not know which Yak to get, and I was on the list for the first shipments of the QQ. That is a good one, no doubt.

I was attracted to the EF by a few things. Scale appearance, EF's past history, and the videos. Was it the right choice? We'll see.

Chuck
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 AM
RodSmith

I have a cooling question for you guys and I can't remember who has a set-up like mine. I am running the Brillelli 60 with stock side mount muffler. I currently have not made any modifications for cooling. I also would prefer to not use the front cowl baffle. I'm trying to anticipate the heat we'll have this summer and avoid overheating and possible engine damage. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Funny, it's plain funny, how the faithful will turn on it's own (The Original 87" EF Yak-54).

I flew my 87" all day Sunday, it IS the definition of the EXTREME in Extreme Flight. Period.

I myself and another 88" owner were there, and we both said ..."How can you get motivated to finish the 88" after flying this?...." The answer is, the 88" is a chameleon of styles.

I am not going to detail it out, but I, and few others, find it laughable , how some of you 88" owners, have turned on the 87" ,,....maybe ostensibly because it is now sold by someone else??

How quickly we forget history, and our glee,....what a shame.

The 88" is TWEAKED to fit a few more classes of flying, no doubt. But, to spit at, snff at, even compare the 87" to this plane is apples and oranges. The 87" is a true thoroughbred 3D Monster, the Original, and it belongs right alongside the 68" in the RC Model Hall of Fame. It set standards, woke up an industry, and layed to waste ALL the competition.

So you can change your glee over to the "new" plane, it's hard not to love your new toy, but remember when the 87" was King, and everybody crowed about the way it tumbled fast and furious ( which I did a lot of this Sunday). My, how fickle we have become.

I love my 88" and my 87,s", two VERY different planes, but, each has it's flaws, and each shines like no other, but it's sisters.

I think the pooh-poohing of the 87" in this thread is disgraceful . LOL.

Chris, in the decades to come when a Museum is erected, contact me, my pristine 68's and 87's NIB can be used as the examples.....maybe THEN the masses will remember what started it all, and wax philoshopical about the roots of EXTREME FLIGHT 3D.

Until then, I can enjoy all your new offerings , as they come out, and not lose sight of or pooh-pooh what got me here.

Well said I think???? I have never owned any of EF's planes so I will not say good or bad about the previous models. I now own the 88" EF Yak and I can say it is a very nice model. The only complaint I have with the design is the canopy lip at the rear of canopy where it sits on the turtel deck. VERY brittle and delicate. I'm not sure what is made of but it is way to delicate for the applacation. Mne has broken off with just the slighest of pressure put on it. Now I know it is just cosmetic and the plane will fly just fine. But Chris you need to address this issue, maybe a different material of some sort.
The entire canopy is one piece of molded lexan. In all actuality that lip doesn't even need to be there, it's more for looks and serves no purpose. Trim it off flush with the back of the canopy and it will look just like the canopy on the 87". I may have to do that to mine down the road.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: RodSmith

I have a cooling question for you guys and I can't remember who has a set-up like mine. I am running the Brillelli 60 with stock side mount muffler. I currently have not made any modifications for cooling. I also would prefer to not use the front cowl baffle. I'm trying to anticipate the heat we'll have this summer and avoid overheating and possible engine damage. Thanks for any help.
That's such a big cowl, and pushing air directly over the engine could be an issue. You can always install it later if you need to, run it without the baffle and check the temps after.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi have the same set up. I'm just going with the oil cooler cut out at the back and the opening on the cowl for the down pipes of the stock side dump muffler. I made this opening a bit larger than needed so as to allow more air to pass through the cowl and around the head then out the opening for the stacks. I will see how that works for now, if needed I can alwasy open up some more of the cowl.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rod, I'm wondering the same thing, I'm not planning to use the front baffle, I'm using a DA-50. Has anybody with a simular install cut the bottom out of the oil cooler portion of the cowl? Or have you left it and fount it to cool OK.. This is a whole different animal in my opinion because the opening in front exposes a lot of the cooling fins on the engine. There will be a lot of air moving around inside.

Last year at Tuscon, DA had an engine in one of their sponsored planes, I forget which one, anyway, DA had cut about 1/2 of the fins off the engine to save weight, word was it was performing just fine with no cooling issues.

John
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 AM
RodSmith

I have followed this thread from the first page and thought I had seen a few mods to the "oil cooler". I am wondering how some of those mods worked out.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
RodSmith

Maudib, i searched through and found your oil cooler cowl mod on page 17. Where do you get the nice edging(coping) you used around that opening? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Hi Rod,

That's Fiberfinish... a new product I sell for finishing hte edges of fibreglass cutouts... it cleans up the look,but also helps prevents vibration (reed effect) and keeps the paint from chipping and cracking.

I'll PM ya for purchase info...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72495.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	665902  
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
RodSmith

I'll take some. Just PM me the info.

In your picture in the previous post, is that the 88" Yak cowl? If so, is that an additional cooling hole you opened up and what is the hole with the black grommet used for? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

the grommet is for the ign wire, for the spark plug.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: flatlandmike

the grommet is for the ign wire, for the spark plug.

I'm not so sure. I know the DA plug and ignition cap fit in the cowl no problem. And I saw Chris' the day he was at my club and he had no holes cut out.

What is that for Maudib???
Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Maudib

Sorry for the confusion...that's the 87" cowl... just for demonstration of the FiberFinish

Name:	Vt57365.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	665927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82156.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	665928  
Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Sorry for the confusion...that's the 87" cowl... just for demonstration of the FiberFinish

I thought so!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Whirlyspud

On mine, with the spark plug cap in place it hits the cowl just ever so slightly. I'm going to cut it. I just need do decide how big I want to make the hole.

Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
RodSmith

ORIGINAL: Whirlyspud

On mine, with the spark plug cap in place it hits the cowl just ever so slightly. I'm going to cut it. I just need do decide how big I want to make the hole.

Mike
Mine did as well. I cut a little half moon for easy clearance.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: Whirlyspud

Mike
Mine did as well. I cut a little half moon for easy clearance.
That for the B60 I assume?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
RodSmith

Yes, that is with the B60.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Maudib

Mine too JUST touched... but instead of cutting a hole, I epoxied a small square of neprene foam under the plugcap onto the inside of the cowl...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
RodSmith

Mine too JUST touched... but instead of cutting a hole, I epoxied a small square of neprene foam under the plugcap onto the inside of the cowl...
I started to do that as well but decided it would give me an excuse to remove .0000238 grams from the total weight of the airplane.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Mokken

I started to do that as well but decided it would give me an excuse to remove .0000238 grams from the total weight of the airplane.
And as we know it's all about saving weight..
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

Heres what I did for my servo wires to keep them fron chafing.

Name:	Om32904.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	665943  
Old 04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: flyingcrazy

Heres what I did for my servo wires to keep them fron chafing.
Add em back in (.0000238 grams from the total weight of the airplane. )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.