Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

I just wanted to put a plug in for Scott at Brillelli. I'm sure I have bugged the heck out of him and asked the stupidest questions but he has been extremely helpful and very responsive. I'm really the only guy at my field running gas. I highly recommend Brillelli and their service. Cant you just feel the love in the air today! We all need an Extreme Flight Yak hug. Maybe we could come up with a special handshake. Just kidding, unless there is an extremely hot chick with a yak out there.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Whirlyspud

That monkey is a riot.

Mike
Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

Guys,

I've been flying mine for a month now and when Chris and I did the Maiden on March 23rd, I had to mix elevator to rudder for a knife edge. Chris told me that when you balance a plane tail heavy you will have the knife edge coupling, I take him at his word. If anyone has ever watched him fly it's truly a sight to behold. Anyways; in regards to the up-trim, and Chris said that the CG being where it was caused the coupling, not the incendence. I have some as well, but it doesn't affect how the plane flies (at least for me) so I really don't think I will change anything. Again I take Chris at what he says, he designed it and can fly the crap out of any plane you give him. It's all in the sticks a lot of times and not so much the plane. And as Maudib said setting up the meter is a crap shoot at best and I don't have one. No matter what any of you do, you will thoroughly enjoy this airplane, I know I do. There are some little issues, but it's an ARF. Anyone have an incidence meter they want to loan me.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 PM
RodSmith

I got to maiden mine last saturday. Right after take off I bumped about ten beeps of up trim and maybe three of aileron. I balanced the plane very carefully on the wing tube before the first flight. By the end of my fifth flight of the day I had probably taken out six beeps of up trim. The plane flies straight as an arrow ,hands off, both upright and inverted.
I'm going to check the incidence out of curiosity, but won't change a thing. I'll report back with my set-up.

The plane with a new Brillelli 60 was flawless. The engine was extremely rich on the first two tanks of gas. I leaned it on top end maybe 1/32 of a turn and it still runs a little rich, but alot cleaner/smoother.

I can't beleive how nice these big gas planes fly. Can't wait to get back out this weekend. Thanks to everyone for thier input.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

hi ol silver oh i am so hurt he is dead
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
CHM
My Feedback: (28)

I'll check my stabs tonight. Just curious.

Just picked up my Brillelli from Scott today. He's a good guy. The engine ran nice! He boxed it as we chatted and it was still warm when I got home!

FYI - My H9 Suk needed some elevator trim and so did my Cap232. Those counterbalances just make it noticeable. Balance plays a big part in it. It won't hurt to check but don't cut and glue until you have it balanced where you like it. Shawn - where is your Dad's CG at?

Also - that early Great Pains laser incidence meter is not accurate. A friend bought one and returned it.

Finally - Give EF a break. Yup, we paid dearly for this bird, but Chris can't unbox every one and inspect it! He's an upright guy and he will stand behind his product and make every effort to do you right. DON'T FORGET - The first 102" QQ was pulled from the market due to a bad batch of wings as I understand it. Stuff happens to the best of them. Even if your stabs MIGHT be off - it is a simple fix for any modeler - and that is what we are, right? If you can't do the simple procedure that Dave outlined very clearly then something is wrong. I agree, you shouldn't have to, but it ain't a perfect world anymore!

And....I can't imagine how anyone can be into giant scale aerobatics without a good incidence meter. Less than the price of a cheap prop.

Chuck
Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: CHM

And....I can't imagine how anyone can be into giant scale aerobatics without a good incidence meter. Less than the price of a cheap prop.

Chuck
HEY!!!........I resemble that remark.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Heck ya, I am just happy as can be flying mine with the way it is.....but, I am going to find out why I need to have the elevator cranked up. I have an open cowl, with a pipe tunnel opened up, who the heck knows what is doig to the flight characteristics??

You know what I mean??

So, to just off-handedly say it is this or that...is beating the horse while it is still alive. IMO.

After a good check of motor thrust and the rest , maybe a re-balance the wall way, who knows.

It's science, and science has to be applied and data collected....just another facet of the hobby , with the goal being a perfect airplane.

And, it flies ust as good , even if I don;t figure it out. It sure as heck aint gonna stop me from flipping it around. [8D][8D]
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Boss..how much trim did you need again ?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 PM
CHM

ORIGINAL: Mokken

Chuck

No disrespect intended!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

O.K. guys... literally... can we drop this whole line of topic? I mean this is getting monotonous...

We've covered it in detail, with several options for those that believe they require a solution...

But I would be curious to know who all would buy a plane where the firewall needed installed, and the stabs/wing incidence needed to be set?

It's very feasible that these items could be left up to the builder... I'd have no problem with it... nor do I bat an eye at tweaking an already set aircraft. Same difference.

The whole concept of ARF's has allowed a whol enew crowd of people to enjoy this hobby that never before could... and forums like this allow people with experience to share the techniques, steps and yes, sometimes fixes required to make something "perfect".

It also allows what may be a very minor issue to seem like a huge deal when it isn't.

And lastly it allows people who have no business being at this level yet to "be here". By that I don't mean to sound pompous... but simply put... people are jumping into these more advanced aircraft long before they have developed the skills and expertise to enjoy them... and rely on the manufacturers and forums to bring them up to speed.

It's not a plug and play hobby... though with the advent of ARF's it has made GREAT strides in getting there.

I think EVERYONE should have to build a giant scale from kit so they can appreciate how much HAS been done for them in these ARFs... and to gain the understanding and expertise to adjust their plane to their needs. Like the doubler dics "fix" I suggested... I didn;t make that up... it's standard procedure when building a kit to set incidence.

Sometimes you'll get a "perfect" one out of the box.. sometimes it'll need a little tweaking./

That's the nature of the beast.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:57 PM
CHM

Does anyone know what color the louvers are on the full-scale Yak 54? I have the red and white and I think it will look odd with the white louvers. I'm thinking of painting it silver. Just curious. I Googled for images but just can't quite tell.

One more question, and I know it was in here somewhere but what is the clearance from the cowl to the spinner backplate with the B60?

Old 04-25-2007, 06:03 PM
krayzc-RCU

everyone says lets drop it and then writes a book
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
RodSmith

Does anyone know what color the louvers are on the full-scale Yak 54? I have the red and white and I think it will look odd with the white louvers. I'm thinking of painting it silver. Just curious. I Googled for images but just can't quite tell.

One more question, and I know it was in here somewhere but what is the clearance from the cowl to the spinner backplate with the B60?

The assembly manual suggests a minimum of 1". Mine is 1-1/8" flying with a Vess 23a and B60.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: Mokken

Chuck

No disrespect intended!
None taken whatsoever!! I do need one though.. Want to let me borrow yours? [sm=50_50.gif]
Old 04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this thread is only about building the plane as per the manual, then I guess thats been done and there is no need for anybody to post anything again. All the needed info is contained within. As a matter of fact, if thats the case, then this thread was unnecessay because I think all of us are capable of reading a manual.

I would hope thats not the case. It certainly is possible for there to be some veriances from one plane to another. If somebody has trouble with incidence, landing gears, engine mounts ect.. I think this is the place to get good advice, or it was.

I've noticed over the years a serious decrease in participation from the older real intelligent people in our hobby, guys that have been in the hobby for 40, 50 and 60 years. Ever notice up on top all the names viewing this thread that you never hear from? Some of these are experienced modelers just sitting back laughing, thinking " I could tell them how to fix that, but I'm not saying anything, I'll just be told I'm wrong, or it doesn't matter", or God knows what. Why would somebody subject themself to this abuse, smart people don't do that.

I really hope that the people with trim incidence problems let us know what they did to fix it. And what the effect was. Thats the kind of stuff I'd to know before I start hogging out holes. If we make people feel like they are beating a dead horse, (by the way that was a funny picture) or silly for not accepting 10 clicks of up trim, these people will just clam up. Lets protect healthy discussion and keep this an inviting place to post information about flying, fixing, modifying and building this plane.
Its this discussion that helps the manufacturer know whats wrong (if anything) and what we would like to see changed (if anything)

Some things probably don't belong here. Possibly feelings about paying too much, not getting a good plane and just overall words that don't help anybody especially bashing product or people.

I don't wish to offend anybody, and I hope I have not.

john
Old 04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

I think all of us are capable of reading a manual.
I can't read..I just look at the pictures!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
RREEL

Very well said David. All the time it took to worry about it, talk about, and post about it on the net, it could have been fixed by now. Tweaking a plane here and there to get it to fly at a competition level is absolutly normal and no big deal. Stop crying and start flying. Really folks.

ORIGINAL: Maudib

O.K. guys... literally... can we drop this whole line of topic? I mean this is getting monotonous...

We've covered it in detail, with several options for those that believe they require a solution...

But I would be curious to know who all would buy a plane where the firewall needed installed, and the stabs/wing incidence needed to be set?

It's very feasible that these items could be left up to the builder... I'd have no problem with it... nor do I bat an eye at tweaking an already set aircraft. Same difference.

The whole concept of ARF's has allowed a whol enew crowd of people to enjoy this hobby that never before could... and forums like this allow people with experience to share the techniques, steps and yes, sometimes fixes required to make something "perfect".

It also allows what may be a very minor issue to seem like a huge deal when it isn't.

And lastly it allows people who have no business being at this level yet to "be here". By that I don't mean to sound pompous... but simply put... people are jumping into these more advanced aircraft long before they have developed the skills and expertise to enjoy them... and rely on the manufacturers and forums to bring them up to speed.

It's not a plug and play hobby... though with the advent of ARF's it has made GREAT strides in getting there.

I think EVERYONE should have to build a giant scale from kit so they can appreciate how much HAS been done for them in these ARFs... and to gain the understanding and expertise to adjust their plane to their needs. Like the doubler dics "fix" I suggested... I didn;t make that up... it's standard procedure when building a kit to set incidence.

Sometimes you'll get a "perfect" one out of the box.. sometimes it'll need a little tweaking./

That's the nature of the beast.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM
thomasf
My Feedback: (1)

Jrjohn, your right, I should have not voiced my feelings, I was a little frustrated at the time. But look what came of it.
You also right about everything else you said. I don't this this topic should be dropped either. This incidence on the stab is an issue that should be discussed. If this thread was all about how wonderful this plane is, Then alot of you are missing the point of way we are here reading and posting. I guess I'm "the guy" dumb enough not to post and just sit on the sidelines and read.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
krayzc-RCU

I welcome any and all talk I do feel if a person doesn't like the way the convo is going just unsubscribe or don't read it and move to the ones you prefer to read kind of like selective listening lol

today was very windy here in the carolinas did anyone make it out with anything to fly?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Unfortunately Josey, I am not like you cause I can read.[&o] Can somebody email me when we go, say, 10 post without mentioning the incidence issue cause I'm starting to get sick. I'm checking out. Just kidding, I'm addicted to this crap.

I think the white louvers look great. The scale pics that I've seen show white louvers.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Josey, on my JR 9303 I needed a trim factor of 28 or 7 clicks of step:4 trim. In my video that I posted I was showing a factor of 40 or 10 clicks of step : 4 . On a clamer day, I only needed the 7clicks or a factor or 28, still a little bit more than neutral.

Before I claim anythng I really need to fly her on a perfect calm day, and perform the required flight tests. Otherwise it wouldn;t be fair to point to this or that, not that I am not checking, it's part of the hobby. 1:1 Aerobatic pilots never stop trimming or checking . It is part of it.

I love the way this plane does it's downlines...the open cowl is like a parachute, and I am sure the force of the exit wind at the back of the tunnel is doing something , ....but you could only prove it in a wind tunnel. ...anybody got one??? LOL....

JRJohn, you couldn't have said it better.

Ok , what does anyone wanna harp on next............>???? LOL. Hey, my tailwheel is canted a bit, the big washer I used to strain relief the carbon is sqeaking......and the spring wire got bent, oh I lost a cowl screw, and , and ,and....

Seriously, if a few of us had an excessive elev trim , who's to say it is all the same problem......sheesh..

I will post about my experience, if any y'all bene from it great.

I am seriously considering the CF gear , to make a smoke system in the tunnel weight penalty free. Anyone ever cover the bottom of a plane for smoke in clear, just to protect it from the goo???
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: jrjohn

If this thread is only about building the plane as per the manual, then I guess thats been done and there is no need for anybody to post anything again. All the needed info is contained within. As a matter of fact, if thats the case, then this thread was unnecessay because I think all of us are capable of reading a manual.

I would hope thats not the case. It certainly is possible for there to be some veriances from one plane to another. If somebody has trouble with incidence, landing gears, engine mounts ect.. I think this is the place to get good advice, or it was.

I've noticed over the years a serious decrease in participation from the older real intelligent people in our hobby, guys that have been in the hobby for 40, 50 and 60 years. Ever notice up on top all the names viewing this thread that you never hear from? Some of these are experienced modelers just sitting back laughing, thinking " I could tell them how to fix that, but I'm not saying anything, I'll just be told I'm wrong, or it doesn't matter", or God knows what. Why would somebody subject themself to this abuse, smart people don't do that.

I really hope that the people with trim incidence problems let us know what they did to fix it. And what the effect was. Thats the kind of stuff I'd to know before I start hogging out holes. If we make people feel like they are beating a dead horse, (by the way that was a funny picture) or silly for not accepting 10 clicks of up trim, these people will just clam up. Lets protect healthy discussion and keep this an inviting place to post information about flying, fixing, modifying and building this plane.
Its this discussion that helps the manufacturer know whats wrong (if anything) and what we would like to see changed (if anything)

Some things probably don't belong here. Possibly feelings about paying too much, not getting a good plane and just overall words that don't help anybody especially bashing product or people.

I don't wish to offend anybody, and I hope I have not.

john
Well said Jrjohn, I've seen posts deleted from this thread cause they didn't "exactly" go with the topic or veered off for a bit; and that's a shame. This is a hobby, not only for building and flying, but for comrodery. If I couldn't have fun and cut up with all the people I've met along the way I'd find something else to do. Oh and don't worry about offending anyone, I can do it for you.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Josey, on my JR 9303 I needed a trim factor of 28 or 7 clicks of step:4 trim. In my video that I posted I was showing a factor of 40 or 10 clicks of step : 4 . On a clamer day, I only needed the 7clicks or a factor or 28, still a little bit more than neutral.

when I first flew mine I needed maybe 1-2 clicks..the other day I noticed that one elevator half was off at neutral so I re-programmed it and the next time I flew it was dead on..no trim..cg between 6 3/4-7...same conditions..12-15 mph wind...just something else to check..even so, adjusting the incidence is simple to do...let us know how you make out..
Old 04-25-2007, 09:20 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

O.K. Here is something I have not heard anyone address on this plane. I just Balanced mine and needed 4 oZ of weight to the nose to get balanced . I'm running all 5955's a B60 and 3 1500 Powerbox lipoly batts. All Batt.s in fornt of wing tube other wised everything is "normal", I guees I got one with heavy wood in the rear section. But really it is no big deal. The Plane is at 18 pounds AUW and this is with the 4oz of lead in the engine compartment.
Just wanted to know if any one else had to add any weight?.

Oh yes.I use an incideace meter and all is spot on
. My balance is at the wing tube and I can place plane in any attitude from level to about 20 degrees down or up and it will hold it rock steady on my balance machine. This should make this thing very steady on any line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.