Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 110

Yeah hey Dave, does the Yak float more in Texas?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually i noticed it more with my sd yak, it floated by me on my first few landing attempts, flat spins were much flatter and decent was much slower, almost had it stopped at one point, the 110 floated pretty good back in az, i noticed more power with the 110, pulled out from hovers better, so all in all makes for better flying here, especially if you have a plane with a slighty higher wing loading or not as much power as youd like, im digging it already for sure, the fact that the 110 floated even in az just shows how good that plane is....i also like the grass for taxying, im still waiting for the plane to start rolling when i let it go, doesnt happen here, not until you give more power, thats kinda cool too.....and my feet are on softer ground, they dont hurt after standing out in the grass like they did standing on hard hot pavement...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

My plane showed up this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The boxes look to be in perfect condition but I'm unable to open them. My son is gonna carrier it down to the hobby room tonight and open everything up for me. I might even be able to start working on it. Maybe the hinges. We'll see how that goes....or I may have to enlist help from Steve or others. We'll see if I can't somehow get it built in a week or two.

Anyways, like I said on the 88" forum. This plane really saved me a lot of money. I'm gonna use the other box for a coffin when I die. Saves about $5000 that way.....!?!?!?!?

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-22-2009, 04:24 PM
JoeAirPort

LOL....Barry that's not funny....LOL
Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Barry Cazier

I got the box opened (with help) and looked at all the pieces. Everything seems to have arrived perfectly with zero damage. They do an excellent job of packaging and shipping. Arrived fast and with no damage. Can't ask for more than that.

The Red/White is nice and pretty. I'm not sure I like it better than any of the others but it certainly is a looker and at least it's different than my last one....which was the original scheme.

This a big airplane, especially in the fuse. Tall and wide. The wings are about what I expected but the fuse is bigger. There is a lot of stuff for the cockpit that I probably won't use to keep the weight down. There is a pilot, a floor, a dash and maybe some other stuff. Looks pretty cool.....but weight is a big concern for me. Especially with my DA.

I'm a little surprised to find graphite landing gear. It's beautiful and well shaped etc., but all the graphite gear I've used have been brittle and break after 20 or landings. Have there been any problems with the graphite gear? The 88 has "springy" aluminum which I really liked. Very gentle and bouncy on landings. I liked that.

I love the wing and stab bags and the canopy cover. Nice touches.

The fuel tank is 32 ozs, I'll probably go to a 24 which saves a few onces and allows me at least 12minutes of flying with some reserve. I usually feel that's enough.

I was pleasantly surprised to find wheels in the kit. I'm pretty sure my 88 didn't include wheels or axles. They are different than I've seen but are nice looking.

I ordered the 4.5" offset rudder servo arm and also the extensions with the plane. They all arrived as well and look great.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo, now I have to be very careful and judcious in my effort. It will be very easy to overdo this. Gotta be patient.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Barry Cazier

Couple of other notes:
The wing tube and stab tube are carbon and very nicely done.
All the servo linkages are turnbuckles and are very short. Sould work very nice.
I even got a manual with mine.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Barry,

The gear is super tough. I have not seen a set break. I've harrier landed mine numerous times without damaging the gear or fuse. I just flew mine here at my parents this week. I went down in the bottoms and mowed a runway in the hay field. It seemed to be pretty smooth until I landed on it. It set down and I could see the gear start flexing as it bounced over the humps. I though for sure I had damaged the gear, but it looks to be fine.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

my gear has been great too....i used the cockpit and pilot and still performed very well once i got the right prop on it, im using a zdz100, i flew in tucson at 2200' and hotter than h$ll in the summer, i think you should be fine with a da100 even with some of the goodies installed, but its up to you, its a bit more forgiving with this size plane imo than something like the 88 as far as wing loading and power to weight
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

I got the full cockpit in mine and painted it all with stone finish paint and mine still has good power to weight. I have been swinging a 28x10 pt carbon prop on mine with a da100 with stock mufflers. The engine is laboring a bit thinking about going to a 27x10.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Barry Cazier

I'm using a Vess 27xA on my DA. It's kinda similar to a 27x10. In fact I'm thinking about trying a laminated 27x19 from PAU. I've heard some good things about them.
Anyways, my engine pulls the Vess pretty good, but I don't think I could swing anything any bigger.
Tahns
Barry
Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
taildragger21

Yeah.. Its been hard to get the DA tuned on the prop. I guess thats a good prop for a tuned canister setup.. 30 flights later I think I need to tery a 27x10 or a 28x8 .. Anyone want to buy a like new pt 28x10 drilled for a da/3w100??
Old 10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

For you guys running the DA-100 on standard muffs you might give the mejzlik 27x10 thin a try. It has great throttle response great vertical and the DA really seems to love it. I think the 28x10 is too much for the 100 unless it's on pipes.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
taildragger21

I think your right..
Old 10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
salerno

The DA-100 rips the crap out the 28x10 mejzlik when on the RE-2's though!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Barry Cazier

Mine has arrived in perfect condition and I'm making a feeble attempt to start the build.
I've got some of the hinges done....but I'm telling you it is slow work.
I have enjoyed looking at this beast.
The wings are about what I'd expect....but the fuse is HUGE.
I've also got the control horns done on the ailerons and elevators. I love this fiberglass or ? horns. really a nice way to install a ball link.

I'm also trying (slowly) to dismanttle my other plane for the gear I'm putting on this one. Like I said very slow but making progress, I think.
thanks
Barry
Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Barry Cazier

As it would be very difficult for me to do the CG balance with the wings on right now....does anybody know what the CG is with the wings off, in relationship to the wing tube?
This information would help me a lot.
thanks
Barry
Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the EF 110" Yak. I was considering the 88" in electric but I am now seriously thinking about getting the 110" and using the DA-100 on it. EF is currently out of stock on the Yellow and Black model that I want. I have the 74" in both the Red and White and the Yellow and Black and have really enjoyed that model a lot. Will you be using matchboxes for your ailerons on this one? I have never built a model that required dual servos on the same surface before, this model would be a real learning curve for me. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the build and the flying.

James
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM
camss69

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the EF 110'' Yak. I was considering the 88'' in electric but I am now seriously thinking about getting the 110'' and using the DA-100 on it. EF is currently out of stock on the Yellow and Black model that I want. I have the 74'' in both the Red and White and the Yellow and Black and have really enjoyed that model a lot. Will you be using matchboxes for your ailerons on this one? I have never built a model that required dual servos on the same surface before, this model would be a real learning curve for me. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the build and the flying.

James

If you like your 74" you will love the 110". IMO the 74" is kind of an odd size, it carries the same equipment (except for the motor of course) as a 50cc plane which to me doesn't seem to lead to as good a wing loading as on the 88. I've built and/or flown the 74, 88, and the 110 and each step larger is a pretty dramatic improvement with the largest improvement being from the 74 to 88. There are multiple ways to do the two servos per surface depends on what equipment you are going to run, Hitec or JR/Futaba. If you go with Hitec you can get away with the programmer and some "Y" harnesses. If you go with the JR/Futaba you will have to use the matchboxes. The Matchboxes are easier to set up, the programmer does a better job of matching the servos and after the initial cost of the programmer is cheaper because you do not have to buy matchboxes. If you need help just ask there are a ton of helpful people on the forums to get you going.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:16 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: camss69

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the EF 110'' Yak. I was considering the 88'' in electric but I am now seriously thinking about getting the 110'' and using the DA-100 on it. EF is currently out of stock on the Yellow and Black model that I want. I have the 74'' in both the Red and White and the Yellow and Black and have really enjoyed that model a lot. Will you be using matchboxes for your ailerons on this one? I have never built a model that required dual servos on the same surface before, this model would be a real learning curve for me. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the build and the flying.

James

If you like your 74'' you will love the 110''. IMO the 74'' is kind of an odd size, it carries the same equipment (except for the motor of course) as a 50cc plane which to me doesn't seem to lead to as good a wing loading as on the 88. I've built and/or flown the 74, 88, and the 110 and each step larger is a pretty dramatic improvement with the largest improvement being from the 74 to 88. There are multiple ways to do the two servos per surface depends on what equipment you are going to run, Hitec or JR/Futaba. If you go with Hitec you can get away with the programmer and some ''Y'' harnesses. If you go with the JR/Futaba you will have to use the matchboxes. The Matchboxes are easier to set up, the programmer does a better job of matching the servos and after the initial cost of the programmer is cheaper because you do not have to buy matchboxes. If you need help just ask there are a ton of helpful people on the forums to get you going.
Or just get a 12X or similar
Actually I'm trying to figure out a way to get the 110" without getting rid of my 88".It's not going to work though!![:@] I already have the 12x.I guess if i go with either a DA85 or DLE that would cut some of the high price tag?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
JoeAirPort

Def get a twin. That's what I'd do...the DLE-111. Perfect engine for this plane and it won't break the bank.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:54 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks for your response, that was very helpful. To answer your question, I love the 74" Yak which is why I have 2 built and 2 almost complete kits for spares if needed. Both of my 74" Yaks are electric with about a 2/1 thrust to weight ratio. I have tried to keep them as light as possible. I have not yet flown the 88" but your statement that the biggest jump would be from the 74" to the 88" was certainly intriguing. Do you think that it would be better for me to transition to the 88" before moving up to the 110"? I really like the idea of the 2 cylinder engine and I am hoping that it will prove to be a bit more reliable than the 50 cc but I don't have the experience to know that is the case. I like the looks of the 110" better which is also a factor for me.

My current radio is a Spektrum DX7 but I would consider upgrading if I needed additional channels to accomodate the 110". I don't currently own any of the servos, so I will be reading up on the various options. I don't currently have a preference for the Hitec verus the JR, do you have any recomendations? Do the matchboxes add much weight to the build? The Hitec programmer could be useful to me on my other models so I would not be against buying one if that is a good way to go with the Y's. I will be interested to see how you set your own plane up since you have a lot more experience with the larger models than I do. I am planning to stop by EF to see this plane in person, to ask questions and to save some shipping since it won't be too much out of my way.

Thanks,

James

Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Barry Cazier

I'm actually making some progress on this build. I have all the hinges and horns done except the rudder. I have the servos mounted in the right wing. The supplied turnbuckles are first class and a joy to build. I have the engine, fuel tank, receivers and servos pulled from my plane and the extensions hooked up for the new Yak. Very quality stuff in this kit.

The dual aileron servos are no problem for me. My radio will program for them. I have several planes that have that option already. I just plug in the servos to the receiver and dial in the throw amount and I'm done. The are perfectly in sync. So easy a caveman can do it.

But the build is going agonizingly slow. I just can't put stuff together. But enjoying it just the same.

Steve dropped by tonight and we talked RC for a while, while ours wives talked furniture. WE got the best part of the bargain. He offered his services if I get stuck. I may take him up on some of the stuff. particularly the cannister installation.

Anyways, very impressive indeed.

Oh got the hinge lines "taped" also. That's always a bit of a pain.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Barry Cazier

My servo selections is as follows:
Rudder, (1) 7955
Elevators (2) 7955
Ailerons (4) 5955
Throttle, Futaba 9001

Radio battery = (2) A123, 2300mA
Ignition = 2000 mA NiMH, 6v
Prop, right now is Vess 27A, but thinking about changing to PAU 27x10 laminated.

I'm gonna use the stock tires and axles. They are nice equipment and I would only save 1/2 oz if I use some others I have in stock. But I'd have plastic hubs instead of the nice aluminum ones that are supplied.

I'm gonna use a 4.5" carbon fiber spinner. Sweet and light.

My pilot, dashboard and sticker weights 8.2ozs. I'll probably leave those off.

Thanks
Barry
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 AM
camss69

My name isn't Barry, but I see that you were replying to my post.

The 88 is a REALLY good flying plane. I do not think you would need to go to it before going to the 110, the 110 is just going to fly even better than the 88.

My current setup and recommendation is

DA100L
Mejzlik 27x10th on standard muffs or 28x10 if you are going to run pipes.
Hitec 7955's everywhere and 2 on the rudder
Flight power 2cell 2500 lipos on the RX (2 of them)
Spektrum power safe RX
Pick up a 2 channel regulator for the throttle servo (spektrum or JR)
Get an ingnition kill (I like the smart-fly units)
Y harnesses on the ailerons and rudder.
I'm running an 1100 mah A123 on the ignition.

Go fly.

This setup requires no regulators except the throttle servo and requires you to buy the hitec programmer if you don't already have one. Your DX-7 will work fine, even with the 9100 power safe RX. You only need 7 channels left ail, right ail, rudd, ign kill, throttle, left elev, right elev.

Matchboxes weigh almost nothing but cost about $60 a piece and you would need 3 for the 110, the matchboxes only match the servos at three points where the programmer matches them throughout the entire throw.

There are a million different ways to build this plane and I'm sure others will have different recommendations but this setup has been damn good for a couple hundred flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76037.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	1303419  
Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
camss69

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

My servo selections is as follows:
Rudder, (1) 7955
Elevators (2) 7955
Ailerons (4) 5955
Throttle, Futaba 9001

Radio battery = (2) A123, 2300mA
Ignition = 2000 mA NiMH, 6v
Prop, right now is Vess 27A, but thinking about changing to PAU 27x10 laminated.

I'm gonna use the stock tires and axles. They are nice equipment and I would only save 1/2 oz if I use some others I have in stock. But I'd have plastic hubs instead of the nice aluminum ones that are supplied.

I'm gonna use a 4.5'' carbon fiber spinner. Sweet and light.

My pilot, dashboard and sticker weights 8.2ozs. I'll probably leave those off.

Thanks
Barry
I guess it's coming with tires and axles now?

You might think about two rudder servos, don't know how hard your are going to fly it but if you do a lot of knife edge and rollers I think you would be better off with two due to the size of that thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.