Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

1/4 Marquart Charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
joebiplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 Marquart Charger

Thanks for the reply
The location confuses me a bit ( having only the full scale plane) What and where is the
"at the rear strut to the fuselage attach point. ??? maybe you could take a picture or sketch or somthing.
My full scale has " N " struts ,near the end of the wing ,as interplane between the wings and flying wires in board and outboard
Does he mean where the rear inboard flying wires attach to the fusalage ?
thanks...and i'm glad you found the info
Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Joe, The CG location is for the 1/4 scale model only. I believe what he was describing is the cabane struts.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
joebiplane

That makes sense... the rear cabane struts are slightly behind the leading edge of the lower wing .
thanks
joe
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
AircamperAce
My Feedback: (11)

Can someone recommend servos for the ailerons? Can I use standard servos? The plane weighs 25-30 lbs, with upper and lower alerons.

Ryan
Old 08-16-2018, 09:51 AM
flyerp40

I have Walt's plans for the 1/4 scale. On the side view the CG is marked right at where the rear fuse cabane meets the fuse.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:31 AM
Joystick TX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AircamperAce
Can someone recommend servos for the ailerons? Can I use standard servos? The plane weighs 25-30 lbs, with upper and lower ailerons.

Ryan
I noticed that the plans call for a 120 size glow engine and the estimated weight at around 16 lbs. Even 16 lbs seems heavy for a plane that size.

I built a Lazy Ace Biplane, with 6 foot wings, that is made from coroplast which is a really heavy building material and it is powered by a DLE-35 gas engine and it is only 17 lbs.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did your Lazy Ace fly ?.,....I was thinking about building one about that same size. did you simply enlarge the plan and build it ?.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 AM
Joystick TX

Originally Posted by r ward
how did your Lazy Ace fly ?.,....I was thinking about building one about that same size. did you simply enlarge the plan and build it ?.
I have five DLE-35ra powered planes and the Lazy Ace is my all time favorite plane.

I just used the plans from the internet, printed out the plans "Lazy Ace plan 76" on 8.5"x11 paper and drew the full size outlines on brown paper from Home Depot.

It is similar in size and moment arms to the Marquart Charger and the building techniques used for the coroplast Lazy Ace could be used to make a coroplast Marquart Charger.

If you need any more info you can PM me for my phone and email.

Last edited by Joystick TX; 10-20-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:20 AM
r ward

that's pretty much what I was going to do as well. so I assume there was no need to change any proportions of the plane as you scaled it up ?. I have found an office supply store in a neighboring town that expands drawings for very little. I've had several plans off my printer, blown up to as much as 500%+/-, for only a few dollars. for example,... one of my planes is a 1/2A pylon racer called "Sumpin' Else" that I built as a 56 inch wingspan sport plane. IIRC it was a 324% expansion to get a 56 inch wingspan. I was charged only 18 bucks for three full size copies of the single page plan. the biggest problem is the profile lines get fairly thick, but you just have to decide to work to the inside, or outside of the line and stay consistent with it.
I have to take a closer look at the Marquart Charger, too,....I've heard the name mentioned several times on different forums , but haven't done a search yet.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Joystick TX

If you have plans with dimensions on them, it is often easier to just use them and do the full size layout on a roll of brown paper which is really cheap. Usually details aren't required that way, just spar, rib, and bulkhead locations. Bulkheads and ribs can be drawn to full size and glued to the wood then cut and sanded to shape.

I used a simple drawing program on my computer to draw my ribs and bulkheads then printed them out full size which made things go much easier.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 PM
r ward

I've built that way too. simply re-drew parts at expanded size and used them as patterns..... it works fine. I just like to have full size plan that I can keep for record. I've also traced drawings onto 8-1/2x11paper and then copied and expanded the individual drawings on my printer, cut them out and used them as patterns. they all work as long as you use the same methodology for each part . I've been drawing plans for furniture building since I was a teenager ,....just about all the furniture that isn't upholstered in my home was designed and built by me, wooden grandfather clocks, and drew up and built the house that I own, my previous house and one for my daughter, designed and built the kitchen cabinets in all three houses, designed and built my son's racing kart chassis (3 time track champion in two different classes) , sail boats, racing bicycle frames and the jig to braze them (one of my frames was ridden by the Minnesota State Road Champion in 1979. basically, if it's something I've built,...I most likely designed it myself, too. I was very lucky, my dad was quite a talented craftsman with a complete woodworking shop and he taught me what he knew when I was very young,.....so young in fact,... that when I was in 7th grade woodshop, I had to explain to my woodworking instructor, how to read the blue pint for an Edison clock I was building at school, because he was stumped about a particular detail on the drawing. I worked my career as a Journyman Union Carpenter reading prints so big you had to carry them rolled up on your shoulder.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 AM
wdgreen
My Feedback: (1)

Scratch built, 1/4 scale, quadra 52, what a floater.