Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gruman Ag-Cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

ORIGINAL: rychaross

I hope I can make it work to where it still looks nice. Wish me luck!
Good luck! [8D]
Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 PM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Keith,left you a message Saturday on your phone.Everything going ok?Just wanted to catch up and get some updates.
Joe
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
rychaross

Hey joe,

Yes, I got the message finally. Sorry, but I really don't check the messages on the home phone that much. I'm terrible about that. Everything is good. I'm just waiting for the weather to become a little more friendlier.........well, a lot more friendlier. The wind mostly is pretty much put flying to very minimal to none around these parts. Even the hardcore guys are flying that much. It's so very agrivating because I have the agcat ready and can't even attempt a first flight. The wind has been a steady 25 + knots or higher. I'm just not going to take any chances with the prototype. My next scheduled flight attempt is set for this Saturday 05/16/09. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
gjmjoe017

Good to hear your still kicking.I thought maybe you were mad cause the Cards are in first place!!!!!Same thing up here also.We have had a few good days lately,but more high winds and storms moved in last night.Hang in there,you'll get her in the air soon.
Joe
Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 PM
rychaross

UUUuhhhhhh Cardinals............hhhhmmmmm I can't say I've heard of them.........is that a soccer team?.........Ha.........Just kidding. Man I'm really praying for decent weather, but it's not looking good. It's 10:00 at night tonight and the wind is still blowing 25 MPH.......... [:@] [:'(]
Old 05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
rychaross

Here are the 1st videos of the DH Agcat. One is a walkaround and the other one is with the engine running. Tomorrow 05/16/09 will be the 1st test flight hopefully if the wind isn't too bad. I'm hope to get some video of that flight. When I do I'll post it in this note. So stay tuned. We are just about ready to release the kits. Once my wheels touch the ground and the flight is considered a success I will give Duane a phone call to start selling the kits. It's about time huh boys...........

Just in case you're wondering I will add the dummy radial later. I just need to get her airborne and then I will finish that detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PW61C7Ir4This one is the walk around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyjL4uXXH30This one is with the engine running.

I hope you enjoy.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM
theradioflyer

Beautiful[8D]

Blessings,

Jay
Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good moring & good luck today on the test flights, sure does look very

nice out this morning, no wind at all over this way, just a very gentle breeze

coming in from the sourth here, perfect morning for a test hop.  Now having said

that the weather later today is supposed to deteriorate very rapidly, rain, rain & more

rain, predicted winds 35 - 40 mph as this latest front moves through.  Again good luck

Bill D.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:42 AM
outacontrol41

Brian,

I can see in video #2 the shadows of the tree top still dancing in the wind....WoW! Does it ever stop?! Don't take any chances. We want this kit soooo bad. But if the wind ruins your test flight in whatever way, that's worse than just waiting it out in the first place. I hope the wind calms down for you and - use your best judgement wheather to take her up or not. You've spent so much time on it and turned it into a masterpiece...don't take any uneccesary risks now. GOOD LUCK with the test flight.....whenever you do it.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:55 PM
gjmjoe017

Keith,really looks great.Is it just me,in you walk around I believe you have someone in the background making bird calls!!!!!Can't wait to see and hear about the flight results.The weathering you did turned out great.
Joe
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
rychaross

Gentleman, Start your agcat engines. "SHE FLY'S"...........Man this plane fly's like a big ole' trainer. It is powered by a Brisson 4.2 @ 69 CC's. When you view the flight video keep in mind that I never made it to half throttle. I never applied full power to the throttle. The plane came out weighing 38.6 lbs. I was really concerned how the weight was going to affect the flight charactoristics, but I have to tell you that the plane lifted off like it had someone lifting it with cables it. Itis so light in the air. It was probably one of the "Easiest" airplanes thatI ever flew. It tracked great on the ground. It had no ground looping effects at all. It went and stayed right where I pointed it. When I got it airborne there we absolutely no bad habits at all. It never dipped nor jiggled in any fashion. The D.H. Agcat is "ROCK SOLID" and flies like she's on rails. In my opinion any engine in the50 CC class will fly this plane just fine.

I called Duane Habits right after I landed but he left his cell phone at home so I spoke with his wife and she was very excited about the great report on the agcat. I later finally got to speak with Duane and he was so relieved and elated on the report of the 1st flight. Here we go guys. I can't wait for you all to get yours and we all one day will meet up somewhere and have a cropduster fly-in. How cool would that be?.......

So I can tell you now finally........................................... ..."THE D.H. AGCAT IS ON THE MARKET AND IS FOR SALE AS OF TODAY". I will get my list out to review and contact those who are still interest in her. Don't pass this opportunity up to capture one of these rare birds. Each one will be unique because they are all hand laid and formed individually. These planes are built like tanks and would probably fly through anything in a mid-air collision -GOD Forbide................ I will be contacting the folks on the list in the near future starting from the top down. Duan has D.H. Agcat #2, and D.H. Agcat #3 completed. He is working on D.H. agcat #4. Please keep in mind that these planes are not manfutured but are all hand built so it will take a little time for delivery. I will be more than happy to answer any question that I can. The kit will go for $995.00. I'll build a materials list of what is included in the kit and post it in a later note so give me a little time to put that together.

I appoligize for the poor quality of the video, and I promise to post more video with better quality in the near future. At least you can see that she does fly right! I'm in the shorts just in case your were wondering. The other gentleman is Mr. Rick Libersat. He and his wife drove in from Orange, Texas for support and to witness the first flight and he assisted me tremondously. Thanks Ricky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNDwKQ4yhgQ
- Taxiing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFAhrDpeeQ- 1st Test Flight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUXmHdQHfDo- Relief !!!!!!!!!!AaahhhhhhhhhhhhhPhew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40654.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1199918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39190.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1199919   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76219.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1199920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89974.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1199921  
Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 AM
gjmjoe017

Congrats!!!!!! Great flight video.Looks like she really flys great.Loved the landing and you stuck a perfect 10.Well,got to start selling something to get one of these ordered from you guys.
Joe
Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 PM
theradioflyer

Wow you flew her perfectly[8D] Well done and congrats!

Blessings,

Jay
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
gjmjoe017

Hey,be sure and post some pics when you get the dummy radial on .That is really going to finish it off and look great!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 PM
rychaross

Yes I will post some pic's once I figure out how to do it because I've already begun cutting away and installing the scale simulated radial and I have to tell you it's got me scratching my head for sure because I'm almost basically going to have to destroy the original one piece design and probably will have to section it out to ensurethat I can fitit around the carb,cylinder head and muffler and try tostill make it look like one piece. It's hard todescribe and I can't really explain it until I really get it all finish and say to myself.........oh okay, That's how it goes. Basically guys, I'm making this one up as I go. All I'm doing is triming, trial fitting over and over again. I'm sure you know what I mean when it comes to that sort of stuff. Sorry, but that's all I have to give at the moment. As soon as I figure it out I'll let you know, but I don't think this is going to be an overnight fix for sure.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 AM
outacontrol41

Click here.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...19/key_/tm.htm

then scroll down to post #454 to see how I did mine. This may be what you're trying to do.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 PM
rychaross

Thank you for the link. That's exactly what I need it to look like. We'll just see how it comes out. I don't have much faith right now, but once I really get into it I'm sure it will all turn out fine. By the way, man you are one incredible builder. Your attention to detail is 2nd to none. You are a master from my point of view. All of you guys need to click on the hislink and check out his planes they are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! I definetly could learn a thing or to from you. I can't wait to see how your AgCat comes out. Thanks for sharing you work with all of us...
Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
outacontrol41

Aw shucks, you're too kind. When it comes to my models, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist plus I love the hobby. I didn't have a set in stone plan for my radial either. I winged it. I had a very basic plan using the Williams Bros. radial kit that came with the plane,,,but there was A LOT of modification during the process, The objective was to fit that radial kit over the G62 no matter what I had to do. Ended up using a plastic butter cup as the crankcase because the stock one was way too small. Somewhere I have pics of the build of that engine, If I can find it I will post here. [8D]

Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 PM
rychaross

Thanks, that exactly the news I needed to hear to get me thinking outside of the box. Now I know I'm not limited to the original crank case which I've already had to modify significantly and I cantell you that it won't work for what I'm trying to achieve. Once again thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 AM
outacontrol41

Good news! Ag cat #2 arrived this morning in fine shape by U.S.P.S.....not a mark on the box. I've opened the box to look through things but don't have time to take pics, gotta get back to work. I'll have pics up ASAP along with some commentary!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 PM
rychaross

Great, good to hear it got to you. We are looking forward to the pics and the build process when get started.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 AM
outacontrol41

Well, I'm probably not going to post anything you haven't seen before posted by Brian, but here it is anyway.
First impression: I noticed this was not a typical ARF from China but rather a hand-built almost ready to cover and paint model airplane kit. The plane came in two boxes and were very well packaged with plenty of styrofoam peanuts and shredded paper to absorb any shock from shipping. Because of this, the airplane kit arrived flawless. Even for $995 I would say it is worth it because one, it was hand built by a single caftsman who knows what he's doing and two, it is an extremely rare kit to find anyone to build. Don't expect these to be mass produced in China any time soon. The quality is definately there, along with the potential to turn this into an award winning show-piece at Top Gun or any other big event.
Even though the hard part of building the frame of the fuse, the wings and tail section has all been taken care of by Duane, this is still a builder's project and should only be attempted to assembled by experienced modelers with a few build projects under their belt. Otherwise, this can be very intimidating to the newbie who has only put together a couple of ARFs. Some technically qualified people may enjoy this as a 'learn as you go' project if they take their time and get help.
I can see by the weight of all the parts, especially the wings, why Brian's plane added up to a hefty 38 lbs.....this kit is somewhat heavy right out of the box. My first impression is to use a G62 up front and cover it over with a Williams Bros. radial kit. It would probably be best to use a mageto engine w/ flywheel because I have a feeling weight will definately be needed in the nose to balance. So this means I probably won't be able to use myO.S. 5 cylinder radial on this plane.....it may be too light. We'll see what I do after I do some research. I hope not, but I, too, may end up around the 38 lb. mark as I don't know what to do to shave off any weight. The plane is what it is and cannot be modified without risking weakening the structure where modified. On the flip side, because of the way it's built...it's a small sherman tank....not delicate at all.
The windows must be cut out, the tail section covered, and all the things Brian did in his build earlier in this thread. None of this is hard to do and I'm up to the challenge when this project's number comes up. I have several other non-hobby projects going right now so it will most likely be a while before I get started. I'm self-employed and things are in high gear this time of the year.
When I do build.....I'll post it right here, as I hope others will, too when they get theirs.
I read that the price of this kit was a factor by another member here and wondered if only the fuse was for sale. Think about the cost of the wood or the cost of the kit ( I think one kit maker out there sells it around $400 - no hardware or landing gear, wood only) and add the cost of a pro builder to build it for you and see if you can come under $1000 to have it done? I doubt it. This actually a good deal and I hope Duane sells a million of these. If you're a real ag plane fan, you've got to have one of these in your fleet! Call Duane today!

Name:	Hf98526.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1212166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78299.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1212167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78830.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1212168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94632.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1212169  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 AM
outacontrol41

More....

Name:	Ax73013.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1212170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69305.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1212171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41452.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1212172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24778.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1212173  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
outacontrol41

More....

Name:	Rp43201.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1212174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84098.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1212175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31943.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1212176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39307.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1212177  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 AM
outacontrol41

And lastly......

This radial engine is a 50cc engine and is pretty hefty in it's own right, but I don't know if it's going to have enough power to pull an airframe of upwards of 38 lbs. Better suited, maybe, for a gas engine swinging a 22 x 10 prop. I'm open to suggestions on this one.
Side note: The reason I have that radial is because I planned to use in the future on my build of an Ag Cat from the Fitzgerald plans. That one would be much lighter to use the radial on. If I built one myself, I was looking at a grand total weight of 22 - 26 lbs.

Name:	Nl28938.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1212178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84558.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1212179  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.