Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

1/4 scale Skybolt from Bob Dively kit plans

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

1/4 scale Skybolt from Bob Dively kit plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 09:20 PM
bryanmiick

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

some of my best pilots are stuffed, these guys have been flying since 2012

Old 11-09-2023, 09:34 PM
bryanmiick

getting closer, finished installing top leading edge, finished wing tips, cut ailerons out and hinged

tip sanded

upper aileron cut out

front of aileron, gaps will be filled and slotted after angle is sanded in. could also put strip across leading edge.

hinge slots cut with oscillating tool

servo hatches

lower ailerons cut out
Old 11-09-2023, 09:41 PM
bryanmiick

pilot painted and ready for action. still needs his microphone. had to build up his base to sit at the right angle in the plane.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:49 PM
bryanmiick

I did an informal check of the balance and weight today. weighs approximately 20lbs without covering and paint.. Balance will be close, at this point it looks good. I may even have to add tail weight
Old 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
bryanmiick

looks like the forum changed how to add pictures, I can't seem to figure it out.....help???
Old 11-20-2023, 09:19 AM
gottabeme
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Orion

Last edited by gottabeme; 11-20-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:43 AM
gottabeme

Just posted this pic from my files. I hit Quick reply to "Go advanced" Then scrolled down to "manage attachments" clicked on,it. A .dropdown menu appeared. I clicked "From device" clicked on photo from 'my files ' Double Clicked 'this pic from my photo album clicked upload photo and left double clicked on photo to paste it here.

Your Skybolt is looking great. can't wait to see some color on her.

Last edited by gottabeme; 11-20-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:04 AM
gottabeme

Old 11-21-2023, 06:57 PM
bryanmiick

I installed tail brace wires to the fin and stab. I put dowels through the pieces to bolt them thru. these add a lot of stiffness to the tail.
Still won't let me post pictures. I don't get the "manage attachments " box it says "current attachments" and won't let me do anything
Old 11-21-2023, 09:05 PM
gottabeme

At bottom right of reply page- click 'Quick reply" a new blank page should appear. At bottom right of page click 'GO Advanced. Another new page should appear with 'Manage attachments on left hand side of page. click that and another page appears with three paralell bars with choices. Click the one that says "from device" This will take you directly to your stored files/pics. Click on pic you wish to post. you will see your pic being downloaded on reply page. When done loading pics, scroll down a little till you see 'Submit reply. click and it should post here. You may have to scroll down each. page a little but should find all these. Let me know how it goes. .....Dan

Shoot! I forgot to say you must click the "UPLOAD" at the top left of the "From device Page' for pics to show

Last edited by gottabeme; 11-21-2023 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:37 PM
bryanmiick

Got covering on the wings and fuselage, used some fabric from Brodak since I can't get Sig Koverall from my local dealer. the Brodak fabric seems very similar. Brodak also sells Stix It and dope. I had enough Stix It on hand but did get some nitrate dope and white buterate for the base color. I still need to cover the control surfaces and then add rib stitching but it is looking good.

still can't post pictures, but I did use the "contact us" button. I did get a reply back with the instructions but I still don't have the "manage attachments" button. I did run across a new thread of another user having the same problem so it's not just me. I do have a box under the message box that says "current attachments" but it doesn't let me do anything. hope they get it fixed soon.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:15 PM
gottabeme

Originally Posted by bryanmiick
Got covering on the wings and fuselage, used some fabric from Brodak since I can't get Sig Koverall from my local dealer. the Brodak fabric seems very similar. Brodak also sells Stix It and dope. I had enough Stix It on hand but did get some nitrate dope and white buterate for the base color. I still need to cover the control surfaces and then add rib stitching but it is looking good.

still can't post pictures, but I did use the "contact us" button. I did get a reply back with the instructions but I still don't have the "manage attachments" button. I did run across a new thread of another user having the same problem so it's not just me. I do have a box under the message box that says "current attachments" but it doesn't let me do anything. hope they get it fixed soon.
Something strange going on here with the site. I am now having same issue as you. Clicking "Quick reply" was not working so i clicked on the 'Quote' and it took me straight to the add attachments spot. i clicked on it then clicked the 'From Device' took me to my files app. i clicked this pick it showed up here then i clicked "Upload in top righthand corner of page then send reply. Give it a shot. Can't hurt to try i suppose. I do have a Plan 'B' I could post a want add in classifieds for a Dively Skybolt plans in the Airplanes catagory and you could post some pics there for now. hint, hint

Old 11-26-2023, 07:05 PM
bryanmiick

I like the simplicity of your balancing rig. mine is a little simpler, for the last 40 years I have just used 2 fingers. it's a little harder on the bigger planes. I might try your setup, it looks a little more precise.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:37 PM
bryanmiick

I added the rib stitching today, I used a product called "Scale Rib Stitch" that is no longer available. It was made by a gentleman in Canada but his website is no longer in service. It came in 2" wide strips 3' long that you cut to fit your ribs. after you cut to width it was peel and stick. It came in several scales. I will use "Pink It" tape from Dynamic Balsa over the top and seal it with nitrate dope. After that it can be painted with various methods. I will use Buterate dope on this one as I have good luck applying that. On my 1/4 scale L-4 I used Krylon with good results. I have a friend who uses latex house paint at this point, He gets very good results and says that the only problem he has is that if you need to fix it doesn't sand well. with dope if I poke a hole in it I just put some fabric over it and use more dope.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:21 PM
bryanmiick

Saw a thread today that mentioned switching to Microsoft Edge browser from Firefox got pictures to load. Got color on, It is "Cessna White" dope from Brodak. I should have looked at the color chart better as this is more of a custard color. still looks good but I decided to change my trim colors from red and black to dark blue and orange.

covered with stitches

"pink it" tape added

base color added
Old 12-18-2023, 10:26 PM
bryanmiick

checker board on bottom

first tape

cross tape

paint first layer

tape removed

second set of squares painted
Old 12-23-2023, 08:30 PM
bryanmiick

got some more color going on the bottom of the wings.

now I need to work on the tops.
Old 12-25-2023, 08:28 PM
bryanmiick

and the top of the wings

the tail

a couple pics of the whole plane so Ican get ideas for the rest of the trim.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Hallo (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:45 PM
bryanmiick

some more color

RICKSTUBBZ (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 04:58 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up Nice

Man, the open cockpit Super Skybolts are just SEXY.....

Nice job on this one... Look forward to seeing pictures of it on a slow & low pass
Old 01-09-2024, 02:55 PM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, beautiful workmanship on your 'Bolt. One of my all-time favorites!
I hope to build a Hostetler 40th Anniversary Skybolt D in the near future...
Old 01-16-2024, 10:46 PM
bryanmiick

getting closer to done now we need some warmer weather so my thumbs don't freeze when flying.

what flying usually looks like this time of year

another winters day

zenoah g62 mounted

cowl painted

pants painted

windshield on

not sure if I like tarp over front cockpit

windshield cowl and pants on, almost ready to fly, may need to dress up cabanes.
Tony Hallo (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 10:55 PM
bryanmiick

Just about ready to fly, just checked the balance and it looks like I got it right. It hangs level with no added weight.

bottom wing from my first 1/4 scale Skybolt. (had it around the garage for close to 30 years)

my 2nd Skybolt with first wing in background. Great Planes kit built, flew great for many years, died doing a knife edge. Need more practice on that!!!

dead stick landing in the weeds off the end of runway

all together to check balance

still thinking about cabanes.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:26 PM
hapay

I did get the DLE 61 installed and test ran. Hope to lighten tail enough to omit adding ballast to engine compt. Thanks for posting plans.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:34 PM
hapay

nice sharing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.