Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Cirque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gary Allen 33% Bücker Jungmeister

Hi all, I also have just ordered a short kit from AZ. Am looking forward to the build very much.
The engine I'll be using is a Brison 4.2 that I've had for a few years. From previous posts this sounds like it should be a perfect match for the 1/3 scale Jungmeister. And I agree...ain't the web great!!

Regards,
Paul
Old 11-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Paul, welcome to the thread. Man we are becoming crowded. That's great. The more the merrier.

The Brison 4.2 does sound like an ideal match.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Homepylon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone: Here's one more. Pic was taken about a month ago. Since then I've managed to get all the covering on and am currently at the painting stage. Power will be a G-62.

This has been a most enjoyable project and promises to be a great flier. I've had two of the Platt Jungies and one Pica and they have all flown well.

I also bought the short kit from AZ. The laser cutting is very good, as is the glass work (cowl and fenders). As already mentioned, the plans from AZ are pretty worthless without dimensions (and the wheels were too small).

I'm finishing mine as Art Yadven's N1881, using Stits products.

I must say I have found this thread (and especially Ken's hints/tips) to be extremely helpful and want to thank everyone for taking the time to post.

Good luck with your projects. Nice to see so many being built.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80608.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	569164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27585.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	569165  
Old 11-30-2006, 01:09 AM
alpal

Well done Brad. It is ceratianly an inspiration to see so many examples of this 1:3 Jungie.
I am looking forward to this project and good ole Ken's tips are really great.
How long didi it take you Brad? Thus far?
Alex
Old 11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Big_Bird

Brad, a big TEXAS welcome to the thread. You are really going to love that plane. The N1881 color scheme will be outstanding and whereever you take it, there won't be another one like it there.

You mentioned that the wheels were too small. AZ sent DuBro 6" wheels with my short kit. What size did they send you? Here is a short funny story about wheels though not funny at the time. With my first Allen Jungie I used 6" DuBro air up tires. They are no longer made. I was down in Austin Texas flying the Jungie when I decided to do a high speed touch and go. As I touched down the tires spun up and expanded to the point that they rubbed on the fenders and acted like brakes. Over on the nose it went breaking the prop and skinning up the cowl. Fortunately the plane didn't flip.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Cirque

Brad, your Jungmeister looks great. Very nice job so far. I did up my first Jungi as N1881
(a Pica kit ). I've had an old copy of FLYING- April 1968- with a spread on N1881, and have
always liked that version alot.

Regards
Paul
Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Homepylon

Thanks for the kind words

Alpal: I started this project 6/28/06. It's a pretty fast build for a bipe. I would sure recommend getting the AZ fittings kit. Making all the metal strut fittings took a bit of time. I took Ken's advice and made mine out of aluminum. It's amazing how strong this thing is when rigged with the flying / landing wires.

Ken: AZ included a set of 5 inch Du-Bro inflatables. Sullivan makes a real nice set of 6 inch wheels with two piece aluminum hubs that look great on the Jungie.

Cirque: James Gilbert's book The Great Planes has a pretty good photo spread and Banka offers a so-so photo pak of N1881. I gave serious thought to Bevo Howard's version, but he did not use the wheel fenders and I just couldn't leave those off!

Take care and happy building
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
alpal

Ken, and everyone else! I have a large van (VW Transporter) bought specially for my planes! (kids gone their own way, who needs a family car?) I see your storage method ken is very nice and leaves the tail feathers on. This is my way of thinking too, who wants to ring the tail?? So, I intend to glue the stab/fin onto the fuse..saving weight at the same time. Have you done the same?
Brad did you? Steve will you? Paul?
Al
Old 12-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Big_Bird

Alex, the tail feathers are not removable on my Jungie. It hauls fine in the pickup truck or airplane trailer.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Homepylon

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

Alex, the tail feathers are not removable on my Jungie. It hauls fine in the pickup truck or airplane trailer.

Hi Alex: Same here. Saw no reason to make them removable.

With all the warm weather we've been having, I've been able to get some painting done. Southern Calif has a lot of warts, but the weather isn't one of them.

Brad

Name:	Nl29233.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	570810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63011.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	570811  
Old 12-04-2006, 11:41 AM
grn2806

Hello Everyone, My plans are on order and I've been looking for an engine. I'm new to giant scale and gas engines, I have no idea which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. I'm guessing it's like everything elce, the more you spend the better it is. I'm also not sure what size to put on it, I think the 62cc is probably minimum. I want mine to have plenty of power for aerobatics but don't want to over do it either. any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Ken, If you were to build another one would you use the Sachs-Dolmar 4.2 again?

Thanks,Doug
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Big_Bird

Doug, converted Sachs-Dolmar 4.2 chainsaw engines are a little hard to find but, yes, I would use one again. The Brison or Fox 4.2 uses the same piston and cylinder. One of the smoothest running big engines is a ZDZ-80RV and it is about the same size as the Sachs. I have one in my Super Decathlon and really like it.

The prototype Jungie used a Zenoah G-45 which I think is a little light. In my first Jungie I used a G-62 and really liked it. It is hard to beat the reliability of a G-62. The secret is to build light. You can't control some things like the weight of the landing gear but you can save some weight with the wood that you use. When I built my second Jungie, in the tail area I felt that the wood plates below each rib were un-necessarily wide. I cut the width by 1/2. Here is a photo of my 1st Jungie tail.

Here is a photo of the converted Sachs-Dolmar 4.2 with highly modified Bisson muffler.

Name:	Yw68305.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	571649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63776.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	571650  
Old 12-05-2006, 11:17 AM
alpal

Ken, you mentioned you used aluminium for the fittings instead of brass,
It is far ahead for me at the moment, but I am planning things and would like to know what grade and thickness you used.
The research I have done on the subject indicated that there are potential pitfalls. I would be gratefull for your comments on this..a;so how much weight did you save??
Alex
Old 12-05-2006, 07:39 PM
kevin mcgrath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idid my own cowl from the plans in balsa covered with fibreglass and the valve blisters from fibreglass with a female mold .
The peach basket sized cowl is 10.5 Inches ID at the rear tapering to 9.25 at the front and is a perfect circle.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: alpal

Ken, you mentioned you used aluminium for the fittings instead of brass,
It is far ahead for me at the moment, but I am planning things and would like to know what grade and thickness you used.
The research I have done on the subject indicated that there are potential pitfalls. I would be gratefull for your comments on this..a;so how much weight did you save??
Alex
Alex please reread #273 where I said: "Alex, I made my metal parts out of 1/16" 6061-T6 aluminum ". After having built two 1/3 scale Jungmeisters using aluminum and experiencing no problems, I would do it again. Potential problem is a little hard to define. You could potentially have a mid-air if you fly when someone else is flying, which I did and it cost me my first Jungie. There is a lot of difference in the grades of aluminum and 6061-T6 is very tough and may be hard for you to get. If you like cutting and bending brass then by all means do.

I honestly don't know how much weight I saved. If you are going to do it yourself, as I did, the aluminum is much easier to work with.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Big_Bird

Kevin that sounds great on the cowl. Do you have a photo that you can post?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 PM
alpal

Ken, well I do feel silly!!! I guess I am doing too many things at the same time!! Well that's my excuse anyway!
The "problems" I spoke of were also covered in your post,, when bending the fittings 90 degrees, they can streach the outside,. Anyway, I would very much appreciate if you could email me the cdr file which I may be able to get a friend of mine to import into an MXR? file for laser cutting.
Thanks again Ken
Old 12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
alpal

I have a strange problem with the plans showing F-16 on the sheet giving the full fuselage in the view from the top (at the bottom of the page) F-16 measures 87.5mmfrom center to outside or 175mm right across, but on the other sheet showing view from front section A-A gives F16 measurement as 82.5mm center line to outside or 165mm across thats a full 10mm short,,,,,can't be any distortion of my photocopied plans. ( I have ordered the originals some time ago but not received them yet and too much in a hurry to get going.
I am really enjoying this build, about to glue F16 in and bring the nose together...can anyone help!!??
Alex
Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Craigk

Here are some pics of Kevin's Cowl

Name:	Ca82574.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	579835  
Old 12-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Craigk

Same one again![:@]

Name:	Rp43829.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	579844  
Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM
kevin mcgrath

Got my buddy Craig to post the pics of my cowl done per the original M.A.N. article and the plans.Its 1/8 balsa covered with finishing fibreglass with West Systems epoxy.
The cowl blisters are the usual male/female mold using light cloth and epoxy.I did this a while ago and have since detoured onto other projects but I think I will put a push on the get the model ready for spring with an eye to flying it in a scale masters qualifier and our Canadian Nats next August.
Im using my 9 channel Futaba in mine,and a ZDZ 60cc with a Bisson muffler which is almost completely enclosed in that peach basket sized cowl.The engine has been doing duty in a 30% IMAC plane and is well broken in and a real treat to use and tune.
I plan on doing mine in the 37 Olympic colors to keep things simple.This consists of a silver cowl,yellow fuse,and the five Olympic circles on the tail.
I tried to get a set of ribs from Arizona to decrease the cutting time but they will only sell the short kit complete .
Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
gordon_mcln
My Feedback: (2)

Kevin,

Nice job on the cowl....I was planning on doing the same although you're ahead of me on that piece.

I'm just getting my templates set up to cut parts....Rather cut them one off, I've created templates for the formers/ribs in the event my buddies are interested in a build down the line.....

Should you be interested, I may be able to cut your wingribs in return for some cowl blisters ....Perhaps we can work something out depending on the type of wood ...I'll be using aircraft ply on my version....

Gordon
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
kevin mcgrath

Yep Im interested if we can help each other out.Sent you a PM
Old 12-22-2006, 02:11 PM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Hello All, Ive followed this thread from its early beginnings and have had the plans since they were available through MAN so mine have the dimensions but there are still some significant gremlins. Started the plane last month and have the fuse 90%.

Kevin, regarding your question about f16 nose former I found a similar discrepency. I just picked the view that looked closest to what right should look like and built it to those dimensions. I erred on the large side so as not to have any shortage of firewall space for the engine module.

Ken, and anyone else who can help, would you shed some light on the lower center wing section/stubs for me? The wing attachment fittings are screwed directly to the main spar and trail spar. this puts the trail spar fitting some 3/16 up into the end rib w5B. can you describe in some way what this looks like on the finished model on the underside? Do you make a little pocket for the screw on the undersurface of the wing panels? I have saved all pics from this thread for reference and I do see small slots on the W6B rib of the wing panels. If anyone can clarify this portion of the wing stubs it would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM
rabacon
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry I misdirected a comment to Kevin that was meant for Alpal re: the F16 former.

Kevin, are you modeling Alex Papana's YR-PAX when you refer to the 37' olympic scheme? If so I am doing same but am basing color off of some brochures found on a Romanian website that has the colors of a red nose, pale yellow fuse and background color with a slate blue checker and sunburst patterns. Plan B is the YR-PAX replica at the air museum in the white background/silver nose scheme.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.