Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Hi, Bradleyban,

I'm not running two Rx's; I'm running two battery packs and switches. The JR R921 Rx with 2 satellites is going in the Decathlon, and the AR7000 Rx went into the GSS, replacing the JR R921 Rx that I had just stolen out of it for the Decathlon.

I'll probably go with the pull-pull rudder, but that'll depend on what I find when I get closer to knowing how it will balance. I'm usually pretty good at estimating where it'll end up, and my first impression with the RC Guys Decathlon is that I'll be installing pull-pull. If I need weight in the back, I'll install the servo in the tail with carbon-fiber linkage, like the elevators.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Not a good day.

I may be absent for a few days; I don't know how long, and I'll have to play it by ear.

Fourteen years ago, someone brought my wife a tiny puppy, who grew into a big, beautiful black Labrador retriever. Later today, we have to take our beloved boy to the vet hospital for the last time.

My wife is going to be devastated, and this will probably be a very bad weekend for her, as she loved spending time with him on her days off. Not to say that I'll be in any better shape. He spends every day right at my feet, sleeping while I write by books, and I affectionately run my foot along him many times a day. It's going to be very strange indeed.

If I can drop in and post, I will.

Have a good weekend, guys.

~ Jim ~[&o]
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 AM
bradleyban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Not a good day.

I may be absent for a few days; I don't know how long, and I'll have to play it by ear.

Fourteen years ago, someone brought my wife a tiny puppy, who grew into a big, beautiful black Labrador retriever. Later today, we have to take our beloved boy to the vet hospital for the last time.

My wife is going to be devastated, and this will probably be a very bad weekend for her, as she loved spending time with him on her days off. Not to say that I'll be in any better shape. He spends every day right at my feet, sleeping while I write by books, and I affectionately run my foot along him many times a day. It's going to be very strange indeed.

~ Jim ~[&o]
Jim my condolences. It tough loosing such a faithful friend. Best of luck

Brad
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

It's done. He's out of his pain.

Thanks, Brad.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
WI53072

Sorry to hear of this Jim, take care of yourself and your wife. We will be here when you get back...until then take care..

Peace

PAul
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

did this last year, its weird, I dont usually have much thought for this, until it happens to you. Alot tougher than I anticipated
Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Wife is in bed. It was very hard for her. Tough on us both, really, but I had to stay strong, or pretend to, to be there for her. Stiff upper lip and all that.

It's tough to sleep tonight. That's why I dropped in here to the thread. My right foot keeps reaching out to pat the dog, as I do all day while I write. But I'm not entirely alone in this. The cat keeps going over and sniffing his brother's spot, trying to figure out where he could be. He knew his big brother was sick, so it's starting to dawn on him.

Sure is quiet. Who knew you could miss a stinky old dog and his loud snoring so damn much.

I guess I'll give sleeping another shot.

Thanks, guys.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM
WI53072

Guys,

I have some more to report on my progress. I have completed the pull-pull cable installation on the rudder for SD! I ended up crossing the cables and the geometry worked out very nicely in doing so. No binding and lots of free and easy movement with no servo buzzing or chatter. I crossed the cables only after I tried to install the cable system conventionally which for me was a no go for me. I handled the crossed cables in the fuse by prior to actually crossing the cables I rubber banded together 2 8 inch pieces of push rod guide (blue) from an extra goldenrod set. I slid the push rod pieces down the cables and then hooked up my "crossed" cables. The push rods form an "X" where the cables cross in the fuse there by preventing rubbing.

I will work on getting the wheel pants and wheels on next couple of days. I took the extra time tonite to mix up some 30 minute epoxy to coat the interior of the wheel pants as the factory was a little light in thier application of the same. I am also ordering 2 sets of (for the elevator halves and ailerons) Dubro 913 heavy duty adjustable trumpet and horn set-ups. These will match my heavy duty pull-pull cable hardware that is installed on the rudder. With any luck this week I should have the fuse done with the exception of the canopy. I am still debating how to attach the canopy parts as I believe it would be beneficial to have it removable for servicing the interior.

I have a question regarding the exhaust. The DLE 35 fits totally within the cowl and the exhaust stacks are not long enough to exit the cowl. Is there available exhaust extensions so I can get the exhaust out of the cowl?? I gotta believe someone makes extensions of some kind for this purpose. Any suggestions??

I will post some pictures shortly, after I complete the fuse.

Jim, I hope you are doing ok after losing your pet. Hope to see you on here soon with your SD!

Paul
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 AM
bradleyban

PaulI see guys use automotive heater hose for exhaust extensions. Just gotta find the right size for your stack.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Paul,

The weekend is over, and I'm back.

I'm not sure where you'll find the stuff, but you'd be looking for silicone tubing that matches your exhaust tubes, but you didn't mention the diameter. It's usually a milky-white color, but guys have found it in other colors as well.

I suppose I'd better do some checking around on it, too. I'm thinking (now that you mentioned it) that mine on my Syssa probably won't extend outside the cowl either.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM
WI53072

Jim,

Yep, no doubt that the Syssa will need extensions for the exhaust stacks too. Also note, if you are using the heavy duty .91 and up Dubro #883 pull-pull system be aware that the mounting hole on the rudder needs to be drilled from the bottom of the rudder up at about 1inch or so from the bottom edge of the rudder. The manual says 3/4" and I found out that that was way too low for the heavy duty Dubro #883 pull-pull set-up. I am also upgrading the horns on both elevator halves and each aileron with Dubro #913 Heavy Duty adjustable horns. They come two horn sets per package so if you decide to go this route if you already have not, those are the ones I am using. These are for the .91 and up size aircraft and feature a self leveling mounting base so the horns stay at a 90 degree angle relative the control surface as the surfaces are tapered. Have you recieved your motor yet?

Hope this information helps you out.

Paul
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

If you go to post #1476 you will see the extension that I had put on my DLE30. It is Teflon hose. I just cut it to length, ruffed up the inside of one end with a file and secured it with a hose clamp. It has never moved since I installed it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hi Paul,

Yes, one thing you'll often find is that when they give a measurement for drilling this or that, it's an approximate measurement. On a Pull-pull rudder setup, your servo inside might be a different brand, and so might sit a little higher or lower than another servo, and of course, when the wire comes out the hole in the back, it may translate to an eighth or a quarter inch of difference at the rudder. It's always better to let the wire show you where it wants to go when it's centered and coming out of that slot back there.

The cowl, relative to the engine, is the most important one I can think of. Sometimes, it's just a bit easier to mount the engine 1/8th-inch to one side to get a perfect fit between the spinner and the cowl. Pretty wild and crazy stuff for an anal-retentive guy like me, eh? It happens!

I told Dan that I was going to try to stick to his stock gear wherever it's not critical, so I might just use the stock cables. I haven't taken the time to inspect the hardware and make the judgment call on whether I think it will work long-term. I have to say, I'm really impressed with how rugged the RC Guys steerable tail gear is. I already have my Sullivan 1- to 22 Lb gear in the project bin, and I think that I might just go with the existing tail gear anyway, since it has a nice look to it. Nobody ever accused Sullivan of making their gear too pretty, but they sure are rugged, and the plane always steers well. I have it, and it's here, should I need it. I can always change out the stock gear for Sullivan later if it doesn't perform up to snuff.

I'm excited about this build, and the video(s). I went to the Syssa website this weekend, and I found that Todd now offers an inside firewall backing plate, which I have determined will fit perfectly in the Super Decathlon. He also told me what I'll want to use for exhaust tube extensions. Seems he now machines a lip onto the end of the tubes to hold on extension tubing without clamps. I can't wait to see this newest version. Take it from me; neither can you guys. There's an announcement coming soon. You'll get a glimpse when I do this build. I did get a ship-date from Todd, this Wednesday or Thursday it should be on its way.

I also spent some time on the phone with Dan Speers of RC Guys, and he told me that for a 30CC gas engine, the firewall on the Decathlon can be left alone, and should be fine. I'm going to add some tri-stock to the top and the bottom, between stringers and such . Nothing wild; just some basic beefing up. I figure that it might help somebody along the line who wants to have a little something more than the stock bracing in there. There is already bracing on the sides that comes stock, and it's nicely done.

I've used the DuBro heavy duty horns for rudder and surfaces, and they're major beefy. Their standard horns are stronger than most of the heavy duty stuff out there. Again, I'm going to wait and see what comes with the ARF before I decide. I already picked up most of the aftermarket horns and cables and even carbon-fiber linkages, and can use them at any juncture where I feel it's wiser to do so. Undoubtedly, you'll see me slinging some of the stock hardware over my shoulder in favor of some of my aftermarket favorites, but I'll make sure that folks know when I think it's a smart move, and when I just used my own because it's like comfort food to me.

Just so you know, the first video will be coming out pretty soon. In that video we will take a brief look at the Decathlon and what came with it, and showing what it will be powered with, the servos, batteries, and so forth. Then we'll discuss some of the segments that will follow, and how they'll relate to the Super Decathlon build, as well as how they can help with builds of other models. Most of the things we do can be transferred to other models, with a few changes or modifications.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49134.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1802103  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:36 PM
crashgoodly

hi there. i just bought one the twooriginal proto type 106 inch rc guy decathlons. it's got an dle50 in it. i've got to pull the motor and add a couple of degrees of down thrust thats being compensated for with down elev. i don't like that trim setup. the proto had no down thrust built into the wall and the previous owner only had a dozen flights on it. he hadn't got around to adding some washers to off set the angle yet.it also came with a set of balsa usa 30% floats that i have to build yet. the 50 size is monster power on this model. i haven't flown it yet but the guy i bought it from is a good friend and i've seen it in action. that's why the minute he was willing to part with it i jumped on it. i'm reading through the thread and there's lots of good info here. i'm going to flt it on thursday when it get deliveredand i can't wait.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
crashgoodly

sorry for your loss. my st bernard lives at my feet and i don't feel right without him there. my heart goes out to you and your wife.

Not a good day.

~ Jim ~[&o]
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Thanks, Crash.

The hard weekend is over, and things are slowly getting back to normal, though I can't get used to sitting down to write and not having him there to pet with my foot. Such a small thing, but it's going to take some time. I've been writing at my other computer since then.

We talked last night and we feel better about it. He was in bad shape, and keeping him here any longer would have been cruel and selfish of us. We're already second-guessing ourselves over waiting as long as we did, but the day he could no longer get up (even with our help), we made the appointment at the veterinarian. We said we wouldn't wait beyond the point where he ceased to enjoy his life here.

It's a tough call to make. But he lived fourteen years; all of them good ones. Sure do miss him snoring away, though. lol

~ Jim ~
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
WI53072

Ok guys,

Here are some more pictures. Just a few things left on the fuse. Up next, final installation on the cowling, add tail flying wires then some wire tidying up in the fuse then onto the wing assembly. Last will be the canopy install.

I am very pleased with how the tail feather's work with the heavy duty servo arms, horns and carbon fiber pushrods. Ball links on each of the sero arms with heavy duty pinned clevis's on the control surfaces.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65031.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1803404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54816.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1803405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35971.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1803406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93748.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1803407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn77370.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1803408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27033.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1803409  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Looking great, Paul. You're nearly there. I just started my first video today. it was bad enough that I need to do about half of it over again. lol

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I finished the first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAPXbNCNpe8

Enjoy! Hope you like it.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM
WI53072

Way to go Jim. Glad to see video one running. I have the same scuff on my replacenment cowl. I think it will rub off though. I really like this plane, cant wait for the next video!

Paul
Old 09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Thanks, Paul.

I was going to rub out the spot on the cowl and see if it buffs up; I have rubbing and buffing compounds here. With any luck it'll buff up.

The next video, I plan to be digging in and doing some work. Unless the engine doesn't arrive, in which case I'll skirt around it and do "build support" stuff, like building the gas tank and reinforcing the back of the firewall, etc.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM
crashgoodly

looks good. i'm just prepping my 106" rc guy decathlon to fly tomorrow. i just have to mount the landing light and she's good to go.
ORIGINAL: WI53072

Ok guys,

Here are some more pictures. Just a few things left on the fuse. Up next, final installation on the cowling, add tail flying wires then some wire tidying up in the fuse then onto the wing assembly. Last will be the canopy install.

I am very pleased with how the tail feather's work with the heavy duty servo arms, horns and carbon fiber pushrods. Ball links on each of the sero arms with heavy duty pinned clevis's on the control surfaces.

Paul
Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Crashgoodly,

I guess you got the down-thrust added to the engine? And I'll guess that meant moving the cowl around some to match that as well. Let us know how it flies for you.

I might do the gas tank video tomorrow. Nothing came to my door today.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
WI53072

Jim,

I got the cowl mounted tonight had to adjust slightly for the spinner, but still looks excellent!! I will be tidying up the cabin wiring tommorow and getting close to the wing set ups by the end of the day. I Look forward to more videos.

Crash,

Good luck with the flight tommorow! I will be in doors hear as it will be pretty cold, windy and rainy so another good day to work on the SD. Any snow yet in Canada?

Paul
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM
crashgoodly

oddly having setup the thrust angle algined the cowl to the spinner better then how it came. i'm just waiting for the silicone to dry around the landing light andi'm done. one of my flying buds found me a set of floats off of a 107" citabria. they are a drop in fit. 50 bucks you can't go wrong. this gives me lots of time to build the balsa usa set that came with the decaf. i can't wait to fly. morning coffee, insult session with the boys, a circut or two then a noonish attempt at water falling a decaf at max throws. it doesn't get any stupider or fun then that.

Crashgoodly,

I guess you got the down-thrust added to the engine? And I'll guess that meant moving the cowl around some to match that as well. Let us know how it flies for you.

I might do the gas tank video tomorrow. Nothing came to my door today.

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.