Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Giant Astro Hog by Jerry Bates

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Giant Astro Hog by Jerry Bates

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:51 AM
ron9844
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Astro Hog by Jerry Bates

I have been looking at this plan and would like to know if anyone has the plan or has built this model

Ron
Old 04-01-2007, 02:41 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Giant Astro Hog by Jerry Bates

"Giant"? Boy that would be one fun plane...I've been toying with the idea of putting a second wing on the regular Hog....
Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure he makes a plan for the giant astro Hog? I checked his web site and found nothing.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM
prangem

Hello big astro-hog fans. How about turning a Sig 1/3 scale spacewalker into a hog? It would be very simple, as the moments are quite close. Change the L.G.mounts, and the fin and wingtips and you're almost done!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

I bought a stratch built hog this past year at a swap meet with 109 inch span. Power is a Taurus 3.2 . Not sure where the builder got the plans . Flown it once last week , floats on landings and is fun to fly.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I got the plans late last week from Jerry Bates. They are fantastic. The control system layout is very "old school" and highly detailed. If built according to the plans there will be no servos in the wing. I've ordered the lumber and am fabricating some wire parts while I am waiting for it to come in. I plan on using a US Engines 41. I contacted several kit cutters and the only one to respond told me it would take 4 months and $400 for a kit so I am doing it myself. I haven't ordered a fiberglass cowl or headrest yet; am debating on whether or not to make them myself. Construction is all built up except for the fin which is foam w/ sheeted balsa. 1 piece wing, 90" of it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how hard it would be to make it a 2 piece wing, That is what I would do 90 in wing at one piece is a little big for me to swing.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 AM
shonny

Why not go for a Ryan PT-22 which is so like the Hog that we converted Hogs to look-alikes by making a similar cowling and invert the engine, plus took out a fair bit of the dihedral to make it more agile.

shonny
Old 08-30-2007, 06:11 AM
beepee

Waco,

It is not hard at all to convert to a two piece wing. I did it to a Cunningham designed Turbulent. I used a 1-1/4" aluminum tube and sockets, set up the way the pattern boys do their birds. I had to take a bit of the dihedral out to take the straight tube, though there was no ill effects with the flight characteristics.

Bedford