Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM
anderhau
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Done with the electrodynamics landing lights.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 PM
JoeMamma

Bradi,

Lookin' Good ! [8D] I was going to use magnets on that hatch, but your Dubro latch looks real functional. I know what you mean about small screws. I HATE playing around with small screws at the field ![:'(]

Anderhau,

Glad to see you put the landing/taxi lights in the left wing instead of the cowl.

I finally drove over to ElectroDynamics today and picked up my lights. Your lights don't look like mine, or did you make up some custom lenses ? If so what did you use for lenses ? Any problems cutting into the leading edge of the wing ? I was figuring it would need some reinforcement.

I also picked up a pair of wing tip strobe lights, red/green nav. lights for the wing tips, and a red strobe for the top of the tail. The real Skylane is equipped with what Cessna calls an "anti-collision" light (white....non-flashing). It fits right at the rear tip of the tailcone. If you look close at the tailcone, you can see Hanger 9 has moulded in a fake light.

I have Micro Soft Flight Simulator 2004. This flight sim has a real 182 Skylane. It shows all of the exterior lights in detail and in action. You can also pull up an instrument panel view to turn any/all of the lights on or off.

Joe M.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 AM
anderhau

Glad to see you put the landing/taxi lights in the left wing instead of the cowl.
I think it looks much better in the wing than in the cowl!:-)

I finally drove over to ElectroDynamics today and picked up my lights. Your lights don't look like mine, or did you make up some custom lenses ? If so what did you use for lenses ? Any problems cutting into the leading edge of the wing ? I was figuring it would need some reinforcement.
Actually - ED had these lenses on stock. It was something I had to ask him for, but they came from ED. They are clipped on the landing light "bulbs".

I also picked up a pair of wing tip strobe lights, red/green nav. lights for the wing tips, and a red strobe for the top of the tail. The real Skylane is equipped with what Cessna calls an "anti-collision" light (white....non-flashing). It fits right at the rear tip of the tailcone. If you look close at the tailcone, you can see Hanger 9 has moulded in a fake light.
Do you have wingtop strobes together with the red/greed nav?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM
EdgyEdge540

ORIGINAL: anderhau

ORIGINAL: [email protected]
One other question is what servos to use as I was going to put in HiTech Hi Torque Digitals for everything with exceptions of the throttle.
Hi there.

My lights are also on the way from ED, and I also got the onboard glow system from him. Nice to both have onboard glow remotely switched, and idle-glow. No need to make ugly holes in the beautiful fuselage/cowl for glow purposes...:-)

When it comes to servos i have desided on the new Hyperion Atlas digital servos. I have never tried them before but have bought them for two new projects of mine. I have been very satisfied with all products I have tried from Hyperion (motors, regulators, chargers, plane kits, aso.), and I expect to be very satisfied with these new servos also!:-)

For Flaps I have chosen the Hyperion Atlas Digital HP-DS20UMD: 13.8 kg/cm combined with 0.18 sek/60 deg
For all other surfaces I have chosen the Hyperion Digital Atlas HP-DS20FMD: 8.2 kg/cm combined with 0.13 sek/60 deg

Both servos cost around 40 USD. No one can beat that "bang-for-the-buck".

anderhau, have you flown your cessna yet? how do you find the Hyperion Atlas servos? I am tempted to hit the BUY button on these Atlas HP20FMD as well. What is your opinion on them so far?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 AM
anderhau

ORIGINAL: anderhau
anderhau, have you flown your cessna yet? how do you find the Hyperion Atlas servos? I am tempted to hit the BUY button on these Atlas HP20FMD as well. What is your opinion on them so far?
I have not flown mine yet, and havent even mounted the servos..:-) I asume the model will be finished around xmas/january and willreport how the servos are working then...:-)

Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
EdgyEdge540

well i hit the buy button now, my project's been stalled for too long for lack of servos. They'll be here next week. Looks like i'll have a servo report for you before you fly yours
Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 AM
JoeMamma

Anderhau,

On each wing tip there is one nav light (red or green), and one strobe light. The nav lights face forward, and the strobes face to the sides.

In one of the pictures you can also see the red strobe mounted to the top of the tail.

In one of the pictures I also found a (scale) way to route the antenna; from the top/center of the wing to the tip of the tail.

In one of the pictures you can see the "anti-collision" light at the rear tailcone tip.

I'll need to call Elec.Dyn. about the landing light lenses. Was curious that Andy (ED owner) didn't mention them yesterday.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95667.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	799317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67536.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	799318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23847.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	799319  
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 AM
anderhau

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma
On each wing tip there is one nav light (red or green), and one strobe light. The nav lights face forward, and the strobes face to the sides.

I'll need to call Elec.Dyn. about the landing light lenses. Was curious that Andy (ED owner) didn't mention them yesterday.
Did you get your lenses?:-) ED has just shipped me the strobes...:-) Do these white strobes use different interval then the red blinker on top of the tail? The red light are supposed to simulate a rotating light, but the white ones are simulating strobes.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM
ErlendM

I'm new to scale-modelling. How do you access the main needle inside the cowl? Is there any ways to avoid making hole in the cowl?
I am planning to use a SC 1.80 4-stroke in this plane.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
BRADI

anderhau, your landing lights look real nice! I think I'm going to place an order at Elec dyn and I'm going to ask about those lens's.

ErlendM, I have a Saito 182 twin with 2 needle valves. Like you I'm not sure how to adjust it without cutting holes in cowl. I plan on making the indicial adjustments with the cowl off at the beginning of the day. Then fly the rest of the day with cowl on. It would be nice if there were some kind of remote adjustment that could be made. Another possible option; Using rubber tubing as an extension slide it over the needle valve then gently bend the rubber tubing to an excess hole near the bottom of the cowl.

Joe, great info on the light and antenna location. I'm thinking about re-locating my antenna wire.

I finally installed my Elec dyn glow driver. I decided to switch via transmitter rather than switching with throttle position. Not much left to do on my Cessna other than small cosmetic stuff. Just need some better flying weather here!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
flaviosi

Guys,

I've just got my box with the Skylane...

I'm thinking about a Fuji 32 EI...

Whaddaya guys think?

Thanks,

Flavio
Old 11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
JoeMamma

Anderhau and Bradi,

Andy at ElectroDynamics told me the lenses have been back-ordered. In the mean time, I found something that should work.

ElectroDynamics does not make a rotating beacon. [] They do offer two different types of strobes. One type flashes on-off-on-off-on. The other type flashes two times per second with a one second pause off. These double-strobes are the ones I am putting on the wing tips next to the green or red (non-strobe) nav light. Each of their strobe bulbs come with either type of strobe.......your choice.

As far as the actual bulbs, they offer two different styles (in different colors). One style is half-round. This is designed to project the light straight out similar to a floodlight. The other style (conical) projects most of the light to the side of the bulb.

This is where the confusion came in on my original purchase. When you order, specify whether you want a single strobe, double strobe or no strobe. Also specify the bulb color and if you want the half-round or conical style.

I just got done talking to Kathy at ElectroDynamics. She is sending me two jumper harnesses to allow me to convert two of my single strobe bulbs to double strobes. A simple plug-in fix. I also ordered two more of the round-floodlight type of bulbs. I'm planning on using these as interior lights. The reason ? You will be able to see the interior through the tinted glass.

PS: Bradi, take a ride over to ElectroDynamics to avoid any confusion. It was about a 112 mile round-trip for me !

Joe M.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
JoeMamma

Would anyone happen to have a link, picture, or a drawing of the dual gas caps ? Been searchin' but haven't been able to find anything. The tops of those wings sure look naked !

Thanks,

Joe M.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:53 PM
eyecare

Does anybody have a good fix for securing the tailcone on to the fuse??

Also, How do you post a question (Such as this one) without clicking on a previous post (As I just did) that does't quite relate to the subject of the post I cliccked on, in other words a new post on the C-182 .
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 AM
BRADI

Joe, you explained the Electro dyn lights very well....saved me a trip LOL. I don't have any pic's or info on the fuel wing caps though it would be nice to have scale fuel caps up there.

flaviosi, I'm not that familiar with the Fuji motor. But if I had the choice I would get the Zenoha 26 only because of their popularity and because I'm familiar with them. I use them for boat racing as well as large scale aircraft.

eyecare, I installed my tail cone just as the manual states...no probs. You can put some ca in the hardwood holes and that will keep the crews tight, other than that I have no suggestions.
For new post; click "Planes", then "ARF or RTF", then at the bottom left of page click "new post"

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so I'm going to fly the big Cessna! I'll try to get some pic's up tommorrow night.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
eyecare

Thanks for the reply Barndi.

For new post; click "Planes", then "ARF or RTF", then at the bottom left of page click "new post"

Where do you start the process of clicking through the sequence to get to New posts????
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 PM
BRADI

eyecare, you can start on this page...at the top where it says forums, cars, planes, electric ,heli......click on "planes and go from there.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:40 PM
wingnutagencies

hello chaps

i have a G38 and have been looking for a suitable plane to use it on. i really like the hangar9 cessna 182.

do you know anyone who has the G38 in their cessna? do you chaps think it will work ok or too heavy or stick out the cowl too much???

if possible reply as a pm or email.

all advise is very welcome

regards

wayne
Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 PM
JoeMamma

Hello Wayne,

Can't help you out with the 38. I put a Saito 1.8 in mine.

I'm sure someone else will jump in here.

Joe M.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM
flaviosi

Bradi,

flaviosi, I'm not that familiar with the Fuji motor. But if I had the choice I would get the Zenoha 26 only because of their popularity and because I'm familiar with them. I use them for boat racing as well as large scale aircraft.
Thanks for the tip! I ordered one for me. With EI though.

Flavio
Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
eyecare

Regarding the G 38, ........... In my opinion, ..... it is to heavy, ..... to big physically you need to cut away to much cowl, .... and way more power then you need.

I fly my C-182 with a G-26. and it provides a balanced relationship to the plane. If you can only work with the G-38, I would look for another plane.

................ Cheers, .......... Gene
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 AM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. I had a G38 in mine. it is too heavy in the nose with this engine. It puts too much stress on the nose gear mount at the fire wall. Stick with the G26 . The plane flies great with it. Just my 2cents
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
eyecare

Hello Bradi,

One more time, ........ Your instructions got me to the New Posts screen. What I should of asked is "How do you Post a comment on this thread that is not a response to a previous post on this C-182 thread"?

...................... Thanks, ..... Gene
Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
BRADI

ORIGINAL: eyecare

Hello Bradi,

One more time, ........ Your instructions got me to the New Posts screen. What I should of asked is "How do you Post a comment on this thread that is not a response to a previous post on this C-182 thread"?

...................... Thanks, ..... Gene
Gene,
Find the post that you want to respond to then just on top of that post is a header line that reads;

Reply Quote Forward .......click "quote"

Give it a try.

flaviosi,
Fallow your G26 EI starting procedures in the manual. The ignition timing is slightly different than the older ones and we start ours with 1/8 th to 1/4 throttle. It just won't start otherwise.

Wayne,
I agree with others, 38 is too big.....G26 is a good choice. The plane was designed with this motor in mind. Further, the instructions shows / explains the G26 install.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
BRADI

Good day flying today....a bit nip though 6 - 10 mph wind from south south west. The day started at 1:00 PM when I flew my Cessna. The glitching probs I had last week are completely gone ..(on board battery rubbing on steel motor mount). I have since relocated the on board battery under the plywood motor mount and everything is fine now. I flew off and on all day, when I wasn't flying I was warming up in the house. I've got a lot of cleaning to do because it's very wet around here, pick up lots of mud on wheels and bottoms of wings.

I have an issue with my Electro Dyn onboard glow driver on a Saito 182 twin. I'm using (2) 3000 mAH sub-C batteries wired in series...2.4 volts, as per instructions. Both of my glow plugs burnt out?? I then re-wired batteries in parallel 1.2 volts and now I don't have enough power to the plugs??
I'm just wondering if; 1/ new motors will some times burn out glow plugs pre maturely. 2/ disconnecting one glow plug lead (with system on) will divert too many volts to the other glow plug and burn it out? dono. I'm going to re-wire in series and try again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70689.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	811994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61002.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	811995   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28530.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	811996  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.