Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Mustangbazza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Hangar 9 Cessna 182 Skylane

Good morning.

Another night shift complete,,,, Joe, I am using the FF9 9c super which is very well looked after, the thoughts on the ".4 system may limit me with available channels, although I know there are gizmos out there that enable a single channel to be used splitting it into upto for uses, (will have to read up on what it actually does) I'm not sure if these gadgets are designed to work with 2.4gHz, I know there are modules to convert the ff9 but not sure how many channels it gives you, will check that out first.

Erlend,
I am running a Z26 non electronic ignition, the servo is in the same place as the setup in my H9 Thunderbolt 150 size, and so far I have had no troubles with that plane.

The thing with this whole scenario, is that it flew faultlessly 2 weeks previous and for the first flight with lights blazing for a good 12 minutes or so,,,,, then Bam! [:@] [&o]

all I gotta do is pick up the phone to order a new one, I have been offered a VERY good price after speaking with the supplier and my local trader, as I would be flying her at some of the shows in the UK which is good advertising for Hanger9/Horizon, but Right now I'm stalling a bit, and I just don't know why...

Have a good day/weekend guys

Barry
Old 03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
anderhau
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys!:-)

Today my Cessna have flown it's maiden!!!!!:-) After waiting since early January, both the weather and awailable time seemed to fit today!

Took some new pictures of the bird as well...

BUT! I almost crashed it! On the second trip the reciever went into failsafe and the plane pointed towards mother earth. 3-4 meters before impact I got back control of the model. I had to circle around once to get into ladning position and the exact same ting happened at the exact same spot!! Also this time I god back control and could fly it in for a direct landing.

I have done LOADS of range-tests after the incident and I have not succeded in reproduce it. I have had the engine running, idle/half/top, onboard glow on/off, lights on/off (was OFF when it happened), and even with all systems running I could walk 131 meters from the plane and still have control.

I'm using a 14MZ and a 5114 G3 reciever. I have the antenna taped along bottom of the fuselage.

Today I ordered a TM14 FASST module and a 6014 reciever.....

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Mustangbazza

Bloody Hell Anders!!!!! don't do that again.

I'm stunned and sitting here trying to think of what to say!. I spoke to a friend I know in the Large Model Association here in the UK, ran everything by him and He wondered if the Rx antenna running along the underside of the Fuz had caused a "blind" spot with the TX antenna, possibly with pilot standing on the flight line and turning in the direction of take off, almost pointing the end of the TX towards the end of the RX, it does give concern but does not point to pilot error, it's been 3 weeks now so it's hard to gather that sort of information accurately.

Where is your RX antenna, (sorry,,, you did say) and where were you possibly pointing your TX at the time?, I asked my friend on his opinion on replaceing the model but running 2.4, he agreed that it would work but wondered if it was a good idea to mask the previous problem, I said "thing is, I can't afford to replicate the last one to see if something I do different will in fact work", I want to find out what went/was wrong but I don't want to go through the heartache again.

Really pleased you got to fly her and experience what a wonderful model she is. Your picture is awesome, with the hill side and trees setting the woodland scene, very impressive, can I assume your going 2.4 to eliminate further problems?. what if we didn't have this option, why do you think it is that you and I with different set-ups have had failsafe scenarios, It's frustrating as I've NEVER had failsafe in any of my flights with ANY of my models until now.

Here's to many more trouble free flights Anders.

Kind Regards

Barry

Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Mustangbazza

erased
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Horn Dude

any of you flying a 3-blade on your g-26? if so what brand and size? Or what 2 blade are yall running...

Is there a way to get the ED-108 power backer and batt monitor without the switches? Already have the ones with the built in charge jack. Just tryin to save a bit of money

Nick
Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
ErlendM

ORIGINAL: Horn Dude

Is there a way to get the ED-108 power backer and batt monitor without the switches? Already have the ones with the built in charge jack. Just tryin to save a bit of money

Nick
I bought the Pow'rBack'r with just one switch as I had the other. Just placed a comment on the order and they fixed it.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Horn Dude

any of you have a pic where you mounted the batts and reciever? Also did you run the ant wire with the rudder and elevator thru that tube or make a pin hole directly under reciever location and run along the bottom of the fuse on the outside of the plane

Nick
Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
ErlendM

I shrink-wrapped my to 6V-packs together and placed them in the left room beside the instrument-panel, right behind the firewall, using foam to protect them. I'm not home for the moment so I cant take a picture, but I have a picture taken just before the wiring was finished.

I have routed the antenna directly under the receiver thru a pin-hole and taped it under the fuselage. But I'm going to change to 2,4...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96987.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	900169  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Mustangbazza

Hi All

Been talking more with different people, one is in competition car racing, and when I asked him his ideas on running a 2.4 gig module and Rx, he said he knows of many people that have taken them out again as they haven't felt that the units are very good, (he didn't elaborate on this) but he did say that going full 2.4 with Tx and Rx would be the better way to go.

The next person I spoke to advised staying FM but going ppm with the Rx with a seperate fail safe unit that will reduce engine to tick over, but leave you with control on flight surfaces, i'm not sure how this will work so I need to look into the possibilities on this one, if this would work and if I'd had this set up, the nose could've been pushed down and possibly landed the plane.

Placing the order to replace the model tomorrow, there are a lot of bits I will not have to do again, which will save me a LOT of time on the rebuild, ie: nose leg pant, undercarriage wheels and pants, servo hatches, the wiring of servos and so on, so I should have something ready to start testing by end of April.

Fingers xrossed!!

Baazzahat
Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM
anderhau

There is no difference in Futaba's FASST tx sets, and the rx with 2.4 modules. Actually - if you order the 12 channel 2.4Ghz you can get a 72mhz radio with the module pre-installed, and a 2.4Ghz reciever (happend to a uy here in norway).

It's well known that 2.4Ghz is not the best choice for surface RC as cars and boats. The range with Futaba FASST are set to be 2000 metres with the model 1 meter above ground. If the model is ON ground the range is shorter, but so short it will reprecent any problems to us.

I have today a 35Mhz Futaba 14MZ, and have ordered the TM-14 + 6014 kit for this radio. The Cessna are not flying until it's installed!:-)

Earlier today I stess-tested the Fromeco "The Regulator". Ran all servos almost continually for 20 minutes to look for voltage drops that could cause the receiever to reset/hold, but nothing failed. Everything worked as a charm! Then the 2.4Ghz will be the only change for me before the next flight.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Horn Dude

thanks for the pic... What size fuel tank are you running? And how did you mount yours? Thinkin foam and silicone for mine with some ruber bands to hold it in place. Want to replace the round tank that came in kit to a flat bottom tank.

Nick

Im just sticking with FM never had a problem in the air here where i live at. Field i used to fly at had a dead spot in the air that sometimes i would loose signal to my p-51 but then i got control and stayed out of that spot. Talk about pucker factor
Old 03-11-2008, 04:26 AM
ErlendM

ORIGINAL: Horn Dude

thanks for the pic... What size fuel tank are you running? And how did you mount yours? Thinkin foam and silicone for mine with some ruber bands to hold it in place. Want to replace the round tank that came in kit to a flat bottom tank.
I am using this fuel-tank: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD722 - 20oz / 600ml. I happened to have it lying in my shed from an other project, so i decided to swap the original tank with this one because the original came in conflict with the on-board-starter engine. I have used foam and will secure it with rubber-bands as well. This tanks fits well and it's possible to see it though the hatch so I can monitor the fuel-level if I like.

Regarding my change to 2,4 - well - I had to change radio anyway because I need extra channels, so then I decided to choose 2,4 at the same time. I have never had any negative experiences with FM and PPM - but I know other have at my field - as you say - on certain spots. Strange...
Old 03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
bblizzard

HI GUYS ,

does anybody know a better way to do the wingstrut fairings on the hanger 9 182, the ones that come with it are junk cheap plastic, crack easy. are there any after market offerings? please help

thanks, brad
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
ErlendM

ORIGINAL: bblizzard

HI GUYS ,

does anybody know a better way to do the wingstrut fairings on the hanger 9 182, the ones that come with it are junk cheap plastic, crack easy. are there any after market offerings? please help

thanks, brad
Take a look here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6586523 .
I've done a similar thing - works like a dream!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Magnum XL 160 Twin 4 Stroke Engine, anyone using this engine in their Skylane?
How does it compair to the OS Max 160 twin?
Thanks
Dennis
Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
anderhau

A friend and my Cessna.....:-)

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
anderhau

Today my model has flown 3 trips and everything is FANTASTIC!:-) It's flying on 2.4Ghz FASST (TM14), but I have also found out why my G3 reciever went in hold. I will come back to this, but I flew one trip with the same condition on 2.4Ghz without a glitch!

Some pictures:

Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 PM
JoeMamma

Anders,

Your Cessna is beautiful !!! Glad to hear your maiden flights came off OK. I hear this model flies like a trainer. True ?

My Cessna's completed, but we still have much snow on the ground. As soon as we get a little warmth, I'll take her outside and break in the 1.8 Saito.

By the way, using a Saito 1.8, I had to add almost a pound of weight to the nose. With all of the extras, mine came out at 19.5 pounds (8.8 kilos). Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever put together a model that wasn't at least 15-20% overweight !!!

Joe McMillan
Old 03-15-2008, 07:52 PM
rtigg
My Feedback: (7)

hello guys. Have any of you seen any firewall problems. Mine came apart from lack of glue. 4 months old.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
ErlendM

I'd been admiring Anders's beautiful pictures for a while and waiting for the video :-)

I'm waiting for some spare parts for my Fema-starter. The cardan-shaft broke off after the third start, probably due to a kick-back from the engine. Luckily for me, Fema has a kick-back damper and they are sending a replacement-shaft and a kick-back damper for free! Excellent service!!
Meanwhile I have finally got the pilot from The Pilot People in UK. I have also changed from 35MHz to 2,4GHz.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69231.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	906926   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45390.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	906927  
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
anderhau

There will be a video, but all in good time...:-) First of all - the reason for my Futaba G3 hold/glitches:

I have a complete separate powersystem for the lights, onboard starter, and onboard glow. It's activated with a servo that pushes a microswitch and powers up the secondary circuit. Since this is a servo it will stay on if you turn off your reciever without switching it off first. The purpose of this secondary powersystem is that it's only the reciever and servo's thats operated from the "reciever" battery (in my case, a Fromeco regulator and a Fromeco 5200mAh LiIon battery). So if the starter or glow drains the battery I will still be flying.

I flew two rounds at "Vaksinen" airport last sunday with holds. I range tested everything and did not find anyting you be wrong. I decided to change to 2.4Ghz before taking off to the annual Fagernes Flyshow. We arrived wednesday and I got my 2.4Ghz module/reciever thursday. Thursday night I changed to 2.4Ghz in both my radio and my plane, and friday I flew a trip without any radio problems. BUT! I had a problem getting my Gemini boxer to run at both cyliders. We eventually got it running on both cylinders and everytning was fine!

When I was ready for the next trip we gave up the engine. It would not fire on the last cylinder and I decided to check the glow plugs. My first surprise came when I could not get off the onboard plug caps (Sullivan onboard glow = push-n-twist). After truggling a little I got off the outer caps, but the part that's connected to the outer tip of the plug did not come off. After using a screwdriver I got it off and it was melted and came apart when I got it off. The spring that is supposed to keep the contact with the tip was melted in the plastic and could not move at all.

I got off both plug caps and changed them to the ones where you pull the wire and it clamps on to the tip of the plug.

Somehow the plug caps have not coped with the temperatures, and has melted. At first I thought it was me forgetting to switch off the secondary power circuit, but if so, it would have turned off onboard glow when the reciever is switched off and the signal on the glow-channel are lost. Therefore I wont conclude on why they melted, but I think maybe Sullivan have used a kind of plastic not suited for these temperatures!

Scenario:
Everything worked ok the first trip, but after some vibration the plug caps with the defective plastic-melted spring are starting to disconnect from the tip of the plug causing sparks and radio interference. I said it happened at the same place all three times, and with the wind blowing at aprox 10 m/sec I landed/lopassed from the same side every time. The place of the glitches was at the point in the approach where I drop to idle, and therefore where the idle-glow turns on - all three times.

Conclusion:
Check your Sullivan onboard glow caps and consider changing them with something else. It fairly simple as the ground are on the engine and the caps are connected by one lead. I bought two helicopter glow connectors (to use where the enigne are in a unpractical place) and cut of the caps with three cm wire on them, and soldered them onto the sullivan cables.

Futaba G3 are not as unusable as I was beginning to think, but it's surely sensitive to interference! Remember - I flew the first trip at Fagernes WITH this error on 2.4Ghz without a glitch! This proves the fantastic reliable link the Futaba FASST systems gives. Not to mention the beauty of not having an external antenna showing on the model. My 2.4Ghz antennas are mounted inside the radio-room 90 degreeds on each other. I have range-tested and walked double the recomended length with the radio in "range test mode", when I did'nt bother to walk any further. As long as the fuse are not in a electrically conducting material such as carbon, aluminium or metal the antennas are to be placed inside the fuse.

Being on one of Norways largest Model Airplane gatherings it was also FANTASTIC to be able to fly freely, turn on radio in the depot without even thinking of channels and disturbing others, and when I was ready I could just walk out into the readybox and fire up, without hunting down the bloke with my channel!:-)

I love it!! All my G3 recievers are out for sale, and the rest of my 35Mhz recievers will go one by one as I get a chance.

I'm making a small "un-edited" video from my cessna tips this weekend JUST for you guy's in this thread. I'll be back....:-)

Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
anderhau

Hi again!

The Cessna video are ready!:-) It will be used together with my review thats out soon. Heres the vid in HD quality. A smaller version are in the making...:-)

HD-Version: http://rc.andersh.com/html/videofile.php?VidUID=1454
SD-Version: http://rc.andersh.com/html/videofile.php?VidUID=1455

Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
azyolldom

Anders, a truly great movie and a beautifully built aircraft. Awesome!
I cant wait to get mine!

However, i would like to ask you, when you publish your review - please make it in english also. My norwegian sucks

Greets all,
Jure

Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
anderhau

ORIGINAL: azyolldom
However, i would like to ask you, when you publish your review - please make it in english also. My norwegian sucks
If anyone would like to take on the translation, I will be glad to publish it in both languages....:-) It's around 10 pages of text and images. Please PM me and I will give you access to the review as it stands (unfinished) so you can start the translation.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Mustangbazza

Got some great pics going on there Anders.

Still Waiting for my replacement model to arrive, but have ordered a new 2.4 radio set today, it's the Futaba FF7, I'm hoping that I have made a good decision as the 2.4 thing here in the UK is still under scrutiny. i've also braved opening up my crashed model to assess the situation below the hatch, nothing seems untoward and everything is where I'd placed it, no loose wites/connections or breaks, even after the impact. will be taking the plane to someone local next week, for him to run some tests on my installation in hope of finding something that may point towards the problem.

Keep you posted

Bazzahat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.