Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

Half Scale Fokker DVI

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Half Scale Fokker DVI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Half Scale Fokker DVI

ORIGINAL: 1bruno

HEY DONT YOU GUYS WORK???????[sm=confused.gif]
DUH!!! When do you think I get most of my "prep work" done!![sm=72_72.gif][sm=72_72.gif]

Paul
Old 01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
vogel605

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glenn,
Is this a trick question?......is your name really Glenn.?..... where do you live?...... have you been watching us?.... Paul,....CODE RED! I told you somebody was following us.[X(] , Unfortunately it's the only way I can support my habit.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Horsepoweraviation

Just a small update....I am going to take the D6 up to Toledo this year. I just received Glenn Torrance's 1/3 scale cockpit kit and a started to build it ....It is super sweet!! (I am trying to get Glenn to do a 1/2 scale one for the GTM D6.[sm=52_52.gif])
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Mein Duff

Is it Glen or Bruno ??
The GT DVI has really caught my attention as a first time 1/3 build.
How does yours fly ?
Just wondering what kind of engine you have in it or what you would recommend?
I was thinking of ZG62 with reduction gear for a bigger prop and lower RPMs..
I really can't stand the sound of 2 stroke engines but 4 strokes will be out of my budget at this size....
Thanks, Eric
Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Eric,
Barry Vogel and myself both have Glenn Torrance D6 models, I also had GTM prototype. Barry has a DA 100 in his 1/3 scale, I have a DA150 in my half scale and there was a ZDZ 80 boxer in the 1/3 scale prototype. All our GTM planes fly great. We just bought a reduction this weekend and we are going to try it out this summer. To really have fun I would recommend any engine @ 80cc or larger.

Cheers, Paul
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Highflyer2
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Paul,

Which reduction drive are you going with?

John
Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Its a "homemade" custom from some good ole boys from indiana...........
Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Horsepoweraviation

[sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

Well......Went to a super " Kids chairty fly-in" last week end and came back as a chairty case! LOL I also destroyed my 1/4 scale DR1 that week end too! I was pretty depressed on the way home....But my wife Michelle told me "We did it once, we will do it again!" There has been overwhelming support from family and friends to rebuild (mostly VISA LOL).
So we are starting a rebuild thread and target date is..............of COURSE ODP!!! Wish me luck!!

Paul Westrich

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14476.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1452867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61965.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	1452868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81503.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1452869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18036.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1452870  
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, this is sad...Have you figured out what caused the demise?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Horsepoweraviation

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Wow, this is sad...Have you figured out what caused the demise?
Over estimating my "Mass skills!" + Very windy conditions + Tree + ground = end result you see before you...............[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
1bruno

Paul, Im sorry about your crash. I have found after getting over the shock and being upset with myself, when I get into the rebuild (if I do a rebuild) I sometimes get more satisfaction in doing that than building it the first time. The photos you have posted unfortunately it looks pretty bad. I hate to see that, keep building my friend.
Glen B.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Horsepoweraviation

The body is almost completed. The cowling didnt turn out too bad. Still has some small inperfections, but I'll get that worked out before Rhinebeck.

The one photo shows the carb tube moved back slightly to match the cg, which will allow me to stick a rod through the airplane to balance it easier.

GTM cut and sent out all the ribs and sheer webbing today. Should be here by Tuesday. Planning to have the fuselage completed by then, so we can really get on the wings.

Wifey wrapped the longerons for a little extra detail.

Name:	Ki20404.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1458439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70794.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1458440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84245.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1458441  
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good. like i said got my 1/2 scale tripe and 1/2 scale alby fuse parts in today so ill be posting my thread soon too
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul

YOU ARE AMAZING ! Your bird looks really good since the last time I saw it.........
congrats on having the guts to face the demise head on, the dedication to proceed with the rebuild, and the tenacity to "GITTER' DONE" for the ODP coming up next month.
I admire your ability to get things done and the fire in your belly to get things done NOW!

AWESOME DUDE !
Old 06-26-2010, 01:47 PM
foodstick

were you able to salvage any wing sections? or are you completely rebuilding the wings?

And as far as getting in trouble over the wind, your not the first to get bitten by that. I have a 1/4 BUSA D7, and the few times I have flown it in plus 10 mile an hour wind , it has scared me every time. I am never ready when it lifts off, even though I know it will be quick, it still catchs me off guard. thanks to the design of the plane it has always flown out of it.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Laserlloyd

Hi Paul,

If your still looking for detail on the rear cockpit faring PM me with your email address and I can send you  and Glenn some close-ups. Don't for get about the shorter axle wing cord starting 500/17 and up. One other thing on the Dr.I's is starting around 479/17 the standard Fokker markings had a green strip on the lower rudder.

Lloyd...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Laserlloyd

Hi Paul,

Here is something that might interest you from one of my threads on the Areodrome forum that we we talking about at the field yesterday.

Hello Lloyd,

I've covered this subject before in a similar Forum topic regarding the Fokker Dr.I's landing gear sub-wing assembly having TWO different chord length dimensions...

The reason why Fokker later shortened the Dr.I's original 800mm chord sub-wing assembly was because at times this sub-wing's trailing edge area was coming into contact with the ground during the rigors of takeoff and landing operations with uneven fields of grass and dirt. You find evidence of this damage in the original photos. Soon, field modifications were incorporated by the Jasta mechanics who attached small tubular rod assemblies to the rear landing gear legs that went down and spread horizontally across the sub-wing's trailing edge, this in an effort to support this vulnerable damage area to help prevent the assembly from breaking loose with ground contact, thus changing its built-in angle of incidence which would then would destroy some of its lift capability. Due to this 'lesson-learned,' later production Dr.Is were modified in the factory and were built with SHORTER chord (Allied reports show 740mm) sub-wing assemblies, similar to the ones we see on the Fokker E.V/D.VIII design. This new shorter chord design helped keep the Dr.I's sub-wing assembly clear of the ground.

A problem with some of today's Dr.I replica sub-wing designs is often that they locate their wheel axle C/Ls in the WRONG location being too far forward from the original location on the sub-wing's chord, thus making the sub-wing's trailing edge even NEARER to the ground than the original had in the landing attitude, this almost guaranteeing ground contact resulting in VERY authentic damage! SOLUTION: For the earlier 800mm chord version, the CORRECT location of the axle SHOULD be 260mm aft of the sub-wing's leading edge. Another solution would be to build your Dr.I sub-wing with the later and shorter chord design, which again Allied reports show to be 740mm, with the axle C/L at 240mm aft of the leading edge. BTW, both of these axle location's distance from the sub-wing's front leading edge are at 32.5% of total chord: 260mm for the early 800mm cord, and 240mm for the late 740mm chord. This Fokker design of axles and spars being located at 32.5% of total chord is ALSO seen in the design of the Dr.I's wing spar C/Ls, i.e. spar C/Ls are at 325mm aft of the 1000mm rib chord. Interesting stuff, eh?

Also, another detail: one often-referenced original German document indicates the built-in angle of incidence (as measured along a straight line touching the bottom of the rib at its lowest leading and trailing edge points, like with a yard stick) of the Dr.I's sub-wing to be set at +2.0 degrees. This particular 'given' angle of "2.0" degrees puts the sub-wing's trailing edge into even further ground contact danger. However, the original Fokker factory documents that I have for the D.VII and E.V/D.VIII designs all show that their sub-wing incidence angles were set at 0.0 degrees. I therefore believe that the Dr.I's sub-wing was 'most probably' also set at 0.0 degrees, which would help when considering ground contact damage, rather than using the single documented and probably inaccurate source of +2.0 degrees.

Replica builders take note and beware!

Regards,
Gary Sewall
Hopefully this should help with some of your questions....

Lloyd...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Horsepoweraviation

ORIGINAL: foodstick

were you able to salvage any wing sections? or are you completely rebuilding the wings?

And as far as getting in trouble over the wind, your not the first to get bitten by that. I have a 1/4 BUSA D7, and the few times I have flown it in plus 10 mile an hour wind , it has scared me every time. I am never ready when it lifts off, even though I know it will be quick, it still catchs me off guard. thanks to the design of the plane it has always flown out of it.
Foodstick,
There are some sections I could use...but being this is a very large project and due to my own time restraint...I will just build 2 new wings.
10 mph winds would of been fine...15mph gusting even higher is my new "no-go" limit.
The D6 design is a very stable plane to fly in all kinds of weather....just need to improve "mass skills".

ODP OR BUST!!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM
foodstick

bummer, I had hoped maybe it used removeable sections of wing..or you had big pieces to reconnect...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

progress?
Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Horsepoweraviation

Also, another detail: one often-referenced original German document indicates the built-in angle of incidence (as measured along a straight line touching the bottom of the rib at its lowest leading and trailing edge points, like with a yard stick) of the Dr.I's sub-wing to be set at +2.0 degrees. This particular 'given' angle of "2.0" degrees puts the sub-wing's trailing edge into even further ground contact danger. However, the original Fokker factory documents that I have for the D.VII and E.V/D.VIII designs all show that their sub-wing incidence angles were set at 0.0 degrees. I therefore believe that the Dr.I's sub-wing was 'most probably' also set at 0.0 degrees, which would help when considering ground contact damage, rather than using the single documented and probably inaccurate source of +2.0 degre

Lloyd,
Very interesting. I am going to forward this to GTM and get his take on this. At least when he gives a answer of 0.0 degrees he will have some documentation to fall back on.....

Hey was great meeting you at our flying field, hope we will see you again at other various events!

Paul Westrich
Event Director
Old 07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Horsepoweraviation

Hello DVI Fans!!!

We are about to spool up a ballistic pace to complete our goal of ODP!

Myself, my wife, and Barry will be the key players in this daunting task. The plan is to complete the plane by next weekend... (Sunday late...)

Watch for nightly posts!

Here's a snapshot of the lower wing ready for alignment..install

Name:	Sp45505.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1462731  
Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Horsepoweraviation

ORIGINAL: peckergnatflyer

Hello DVI Fans!!!

We are about to spool up a ballistic pace to complete our goal of ODP!

Myself, my wife, and Barry will be the key players in this daunting task. The plan is to complete the plane by next weekend... (Sunday late...)

Watch for nightly posts!

Here's a snapshot of the lower wing ready for alignment..install

[X(]OH...we did it again to GTM! We surely could not have accomplished our goal without GTM's support! With everything Glenn has going on with his business, he graciously squeezed me in and got all the parts for the wings in a remarkable timeframe! Kudos to Glenn and his crew for the support![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

I was at the Wings For Kids that day and have the video of your Fokker entering and the exiting the "bush" that reached out for it. I enjoyed seeing it fly and see that it will once again. The wind was indeed bad and a straight cross at that. I was flying the TF GS P47 and was commenting on the wind as we were flying. I look forward to seeing it flying again.
Good luck and wish blue skies for all at the ODP meet.
Sam Woodard
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Horsepoweraviation

ORIGINAL: sam@ata

I was at the Wings For Kids that day and have the video of your Fokker entering and the exiting the ''bush'' that reached out for it. I enjoyed seeing it fly and see that it will once again. The wind was indeed bad and a straight cross at that. I was flying the TF GS P47 and was commenting on the wind as we were flying. I look forward to seeing it flying again.
Good luck and wish blue skies for all at the ODP meet.
Sam Woodard
Hey Sam!
Any way I can get a copy of that video? Can you send it to me via email or in this thread?... or even in UTube...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.