Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

SukHoi SU-26 100cc FLY MODEL good or bad ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

SukHoi SU-26 100cc FLY MODEL good or bad ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SukHoi SU-26 100cc FLY MODEL good or bad ARF

ORIGINAL: TVL

Thanks again T.J. you are our encyclopedia of RC I truly appreciate your in put and all the Ideas you have given me and I think I can speak for a lot of new comers or in my case returnees. Were you serous about maybe getting one of these.
Yep, I've been serching around for my next big plane, this being one and also I've found a couple others that I like. I know AK-Models.com have some 35% planes for dirt cheap prices! and shipping is Less than 130.00!

These things are the same cost as 50cc planes!!
http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=GIANTSCALE

http://ak-models.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=GIANTSCALE
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 AM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

I just pulled the trigger on one of these.
Coupon code "CJ5" gets you an additional $20 off the price !
I am gonna strip and recover this bird, and see if I can lighten her a little while doing it.

Jim
Old 08-08-2009, 08:17 AM
SportFlyer3

See post on FG...
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM
TVL
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

Coupon code ''CJ5'' gets you an additional $20 off the price !
I am gonna strip and recover this bird, and see if I can lighten her a little while doing it.

Jim
Fishdeth it would be great if you could post some pictures of what you are doing to lighten her a I'm not going to get around to starting mine until this fall/winter. I have only scratch built two plane and that was over twenty years ago. If you have the ability to find ways to lighten her up With your help maybe Ill attempt to do the same. Most of what I have heard about Nitro's planes is that they are to heavy.

Zed do you know when you'll be testing her out. Please try to take some video to go along with your flight report if you can of course it would be nice to see this plane flying with someone good at the controls. Not like the only two videos that you found if I remember wright.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 AM
SportFlyer3

ORIGINAL: TVL

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

Coupon code ''CJ5'' gets you an additional $20 off the price !

Jim
Fishdeth it would be great if you could post some pictures of what you are doing to lighten her a I'm not going to get around to starting mine until this fall/winter. I have only scratch built two plane and that was over twenty years ago. If you have the ability to find ways to lighten her up With your help maybe Ill attempt to do the same. Most of what I have heard about Nitro's planes is that they are to heavy.

Zed do you know when you'll be testing her out. Please try to take some video to go along with your flight report if you can of course it would be nice to see this plane flying with someone good at the controls. Not like the only two videos that you found if I remember wright.

Ok I'll do my best...but who said I was any good at the controls...LOL!!! J/K If it survives the first flight and landing I'll see what she'll do...here's some shots of the internal setup as Fishdeath requested...notice the weight on the motorbox and the CG is still about 1/2" too far back...

Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
SportFlyer3

I maidened it today...flew great and leaped off the ground after about 8 ft and less than half throttle. Was definitely NOT a good day for a maiden flight. The wind was peaking at 26 mph out at our field and the longer I stayed up the harder it blew... That's probably why it only took about 8 ft to get airborne... I did get some video but I need to contract a new cameraman...most of it you spend looking for a plane or looking at the ground...LOL!!! The landing was a little scary for me because I didn't know if my landing gear mods would hold up under the weight. Every time I shot a landing ( about 6 times in all) the wind played havoc with me and I ended up either dropping to much or balloning and had to go around again. Even after touching the ground and a short rollout I eased on the elevator expecting the tail to drop to the ground but she just jumped back in the air and I had to hit the throttle and go around again, I bounced it one time before that....For 33 lbs it sure seemed to fly light...

I only made one flight as the wind was picking up more than what it already was (south Texas coastal weather)...

So far I'm happy with the flight performance as I thought the DL-100 would have had a hard time pulling it around but I often found myself throttling back especially on the downwind legs...now the weight I'm a little disappointed in because the flying weight advertised was 28 lbs and as it sits, a little on the tail-heavy side, I'm at close to or a little above 33 lbs dry weight...
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
TVL

Zed I was just wondering if the farther forward you can get the weight the less you would need. That being said go back and look at Oliver's pics and look at the fin's he has mounted in the front of his cowl. makes the plane look better and may help shed some weight. Who knows you might be able to get rid of half that counter weight being it would be so much farther forward.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM
SportFlyer3

Good idea but I don't like to add weight to a cowl just in case something happens to it and it flys off...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
TVL

How far on to the fuselage do you have the cowling mounted, do you maybe have room to move it out farther allowing you to put longer sand offs to get some motor weight farther ahead
Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM
SportFlyer3

From the front of the cowl to the firewall is about 6 inches and that is where the weight is on the very front of the motor box and almost on top of the firewall...
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 PM
SportFlyer3

Vid's up...sorry about the camera work I think my brother was watching the plane instead of looking at it on the screen...Also can you believe this guy had a tripod??? LOL!!!!

[link=http://vimeo.com/6077710]Nitro Sukhoi maiden[/link]
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM
micool72

Finally a vid of this bad boy thanks.
keep them coming and any other tips you boys have on this plane
i have one of these planes ready to build but want to see if any more mods need doing.
thanks sporstflyer3 for the pics and vid
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
SportFlyer3

No worries...I've worked the last two weekends so I haven't flown it in calmer conditions to really see how she flies, but hopefully on one of my next 2 days off I will see...
Old 08-31-2009, 09:57 PM
TVL

Hey Zed she looks like she flies pretty decent I worked 36 days in a row with the shortest day being 10 hours. last Mon. and Wend. were 19 hour days. over 90 hours for the week. The wife said she socked away 11,000 in the five weeks I have been running this tight schedule project. This job is the biggest challenge I have ever managed. So any way I told her tonight that I am going to start ordering everything I need to start putting my SukHoi together. after this job is shut down until spring because of the cold weather. I have been trying to follow fishdeth's project but usually fall asleep at the computer desk back at the shop. I'm sure glade my rudder isn't crooked like his. Well that's all for now 4:00 AM comes early
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
SportFlyer3

Just remember to try to build as light as possible. I got in a few flights while trying to trim it out and I think I'm going to switch props to a 27A instead of the 27B I have now. I screwed up and flew my brothers 50cc H9 Cap 232 that is ballistic at half throttle in between flights and there is no comparison in power and flight performance. The thing waterfalls like nothing I've ever seen. That's the one I've been helping him build right along side mine. It has a really healthy DL-50 on it turning a NX 22-8 and it only weighs just a touch over 16 LBS... or half the weight of mine. We also noticed some high speed flutter on mine that I tracked down to the 4-40 ball links so I have to be carefull and fly around at less than half throttle and only use full for the climbing maneuvers...

Well... I got to drive half way across Texas tomorrow so I'll type at you later...

Zed
Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
TVL

Zed is it from the ball links on the pull pull that's causing high speed flutter.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:26 PM
SportFlyer3

No it's the elevator ball links. The little brass links that the screw goes through. They are moving a little inside the plastic. These are the Dubro brand 4-40 links too...
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM
TVL

Zed did I read on Jim's Thread that you are thinking about changing the servos
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
SportFlyer3

Yeah I didn't change the servos but I did change the linkages around and found out also that a servo arm was bent where it splits and goes onto the servo splines causing some play and eventually it was on its way to stripping. Test flew it yesterday and didn't see a hint of flutter but one of the Dubro 3/16" axles came apart so I made a not so pretty landing that bent the gear and loosened some bolts.

I think I'm going to silver solder them both if I can and hopefully that will hold 'em in...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM
TVL

Maybe now is the time to go to a CF landing gear like Oliver did on his
Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
SportFlyer3

Nah...carbon fiber would have not given and ripped out.

Made the repair on the axle today on the side that came out. But the other side I could not get out with a hammer and punch so I left it alone. Must have been a manufacturing defect on the side that let go.

Found another problem in the process [:'(] top 2 hinges on the rudder are loose. Gotta figure out a way to fix those before going back up. If it wasn't for bad luck I don't think I'd have any luck at all...but at least I didn't find out in the air.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 PM
TVL

Kind of reminds me of something my dad told me when a semi tractor trailer hit the boom of the JLG lift I was working in on a bridge over the mississippi river just south of the twin cities put me out of work for a year and eight months, He always said that was my luckiest unlucky day of my life. Just be thankful that you didn't find it the hard way. And as luck will have it let's hope it just keeps going the way it has so far. Do you think the hinges were contributing to the fluttering or do you think the fluttering caused the hinges to work louse
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 PM
SportFlyer3

These hinges are on the rudder and the flutter was on the elevators so...I guess the flutter caused it along with me bumping the top of the rudder while loading and unloading the plane each time...

I'll get the bugs worked out someday...then when it's all flying good and pretty is when I'll put it in I bet. Always seems to happen to me that way...LOL!!!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM
TVL

Ya its nice to have one last long enough to ware you don't really care if it go's in because your tired of it any way and ready to move onto some thing new.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
SportFlyer3

I only have two of those right now and it's because those were the ones I had when I stopped flying 15yrs ago...hahaha...LOL!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.