Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

SIG Kadet LT-40

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 11:26 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Almost 4 years on the ground! No more!

Hello good people!

Anyone in the mood for a relaxing RC Trainer Airplane model?

Well, after not flying my SIG LT-40 for several years (Almost 4 years) it performed like a baby doll on Tuesday morning , August 4th, 2020!

The Electric Setup is as follows: (Still)

* Thrust-50 Brushless motor

* APC 13 X 8 "E" Propeller.

* Quantum 65-AMP ESC (BEC Disabled).

* Separate RX Battery with switch harness

* RX (Thunder Power 2-Cell, 1800mAH, Lithium Polymer).

* Futaba 7-Channel Dual Conversion (FP-R1270F)

* Futaba 4-Channel Transmitter. (72-Mhz, FM)

* Futaba Standard Servos (1303's)

* Turnigy 5-Cell, 4,000mAH, Lithium Polymer flight pack.

This setup allows for a super long flight(s) on just one battery run or multiple, assuming if you land and allow the pack to rest and Voltage slightly increases after cooling down, however, nothing ever goes warm to the touch as all components never get warm after almost 10 minute flight.

The airspeed is respectable for a trainer RC Model and some has commented it is too fast at 3/4 throttle. Yes, most of the flight is right at 1/2 throttle and allows for just amazing touch & goes. Since this SIG model is the LT-40 and came with ailerons it performs just amazing rolls and of course loops with no issues.

A few pictures up in-flight and static pictures on the setup table.

The following users liked this post:
sensei (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:33 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice!

Bob
Old 08-06-2020, 08:23 AM
guapoman2000

Originally Posted by sensei
Nice!

Bob
Thank you, Bob!

It is a very relaxing RC Trainer but, has some neat moves that many don't realize.

Glad you enjoyed.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Built one from a Kit last year. Powered with a Cobra 4120/710KV motor and 4S pack. Made it a tail dragger, chopped the elevator in half, made the rudder longer so it reached the bottom of the fuse and used a Dubro tailwheel . I added a second LG mount to the fuse for floats. Landing gear is Dubro for both mains and for the floats.
Covered in Ultracote Brushed Aluminum and red. Also added wing struts. Uses separate aileron servos.Removed all the dihedral.
Floats are from Seaplane Supply. (Currently being fitted to plane.)
The following users liked this post:
guapoman2000 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:57 PM
guapoman2000

Smile

Originally Posted by jollyroger
Built one from a Kit last year. Powered with a Cobra 4120/710KV motor and 4S pack. Made it a tail dragger, chopped the elevator in half, made the rudder longer so it reached the bottom of the fuse and used a Dubro tailwheel . I added a second LG mount to the fuse for floats. Landing gear is Dubro for both mains and for the floats.
Covered in Ultracote Brushed Aluminum and red. Also added wing struts. Uses separate aileron servos.Removed all the dihedral.
Floats are from Seaplane Supply. (Currently being fitted to plane.)

We need pictures! Thanks!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:59 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

My club gave me one, to use as an instruction plane. Here's what happens when the instructor allows a beginner to get too low...

Old 09-24-2020, 08:01 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

But here's what happens after 12 hours of bench time....

Someday I'll buy a new decal set, to replace the windows!

Glad they used cheap glue on it. Ply interior formers on the fuse had to be separated from the balsa skins, but the pieces then jig sawed right back into the place. Then a new 1/8th balsa skin added. Needed a new nose gear steering arm. Cowl is pretty rough - but CA made it rigid again (ARF has a cowl that the kit doesn't have). Will fill/refinish over the winter.
Using a NIB HB .40 Goldhead. with an 11x5 prop. Didn't pay attention to the TX timer on the first training flight after the rebuild. On an 8 oz tank, ran out of fuel after 38 minutes (!) (half throttle). Has now had three hours of flight training time on it since the oops!

Last edited by tedsander; 09-24-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:15 AM
Andrew124C41+

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

I just inherited one of these from an RC club I just joined. It was converted from glow to electric with a quad motor, 30 amp ESC and initially a 14 X 12 Prop which I switched out for a 13 x 12 3 blade prop at the advice of one of the guys who had been instructimg me. It flies very well much better for training than the 1.2 m Apprentice I initially purchased upon the recommendation of a local hobby shop. We fly on a tarmac runway, Had a couple hard landings and had to do some minor repairs.

Anybody figure out how to put shocks on the mains and nose gear?