Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

World Models Ultimate 40S

Old 11-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models Ultimate 40S

The pilot and canopy installed without issue. The pilot has many details and the kit also includes an instrument panel for the dash. The canopy has pre-drilled holes and can use either the supplied double-sided tape or the four sets of screws and rubber washers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53270.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	362662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98315.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	362663  
Old 12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Greg Covey

I finished up the tail linkage and installed two FMA [link=https://www.fmadirect.com/Detail.htm?item=1923&section=46]DS300BB[/link] Digital servos for smooth, repeatable control.

The elevator halves are controlled by a joiner that connects the two rods together at the servo end. All the hardware is supplied including the snap keepers. I rearrainged some components to improve the routing of wires.

Name:	Xv65495.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	363152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25620.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	363153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85259.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	363154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11366.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	363155  
Old 12-01-2005, 02:31 PM
ropowell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

Thanks for the info on the distributor response. I'm pleased to be able to confidently select a CG after my rebuild. I'm going to put a small sheet of reinforcing plywood on the top wing in such a position that I can drill two 1/16 " holes located at 2 1/2 " and 3 1/4 " from the leading edge -- which corresponds to 20% and 30% MAC. I can then screw in two picture hanging eyebolts into these holes and insert a small dowel between the two and use this for balancing. I'll shoot for a point halfway between or slightly forward. After the AC is well trimmed and ready for some adjustments I can then shift to a further aft CG if desired. Another nice thing about this jig setup is that you can easily check & correct lateral balance. Of course, the eyebolts and dowel are removed for flying.

At any rate, I think you will enjoy your first flight a lot more than I did mine!

Dick
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
wollins

Dick, THAT sounds like a cool setup! Make sure to post DETAILED pics of it for us "less creative" folk. As usual I got lost in the details as my imagination can only go so far.

Colin.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Greg Covey

Dick,

Some of my modeler friends use a similar approach. I often use the Great Planes CG Machine but on this smaller bipe I'll just use fingers.

Here is another look at diagram using the BalancePro HD Lithium Power Solution. The ESC control line is routed through the DPM so it can pulse the motor for an early warning of pack depletion to aid in a proper landing before cutting off the motor power.

Note that the On/Off switch assembly would go in-line with the UBEC output to the receiver.

Name:	Ge94427.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	363233  
Old 12-10-2005, 10:58 AM
wollins

Hi Greg, what's the latest? Have ya quit the project on us?
Colin.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Greg Covey

I had some other building priorities and indoor flying events get in the way of this project. I also pushed off getting my 6s 3200mAh pack until January. Once I return from my trip to FMA next week, I'll start back on mounting the wings. It sould be relatively easy using the supplied incidence guides.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:11 PM
ropowell

Greg,

Since you're about to start the wing mounting -- let me add some comments. I mounted the wings as per instructions and at first, I wondered about the strength of the mounts -- especially the mounting of the cabane struts to the fuselage with a single small wood screw at each point. Said screw goes thru a thin sheet balsa side into a thin (1/16 -) lightweight plywood doubler. I fully intended to add a another plywood doubler to help anchor these screws and even considered going to a screw/nut anchorage, but somehow I never did anything beyond the suggested technique.

In the small flying time that I had, I did not see any problems with the mount system. And you're right, having those wing templets makes the alignment a NO PROBLEM event. It's quite amazing how easily this step goes.

When my aircraft spun to the ground there were extreme impact forces. The engine crushed the perimeter of the firewall back into the fuselage; the landing gear was ripped off taking part of both supporting fuselage formers but no other serious damage to the fuselage. The top wing came forward stripping out the cabane support screws from the fuselage with almost no damage to the fuselage and absolutely NO damage to the top wing. The screw anchorage system became a perfect "weak link" which minimized the damage from this serious accident! Neither wing required more than ten minutes of repairs!

So my point is: As I rebuild, I plan to use the anchorage system suggested with very little additions. I still believe a second small doubler may be appropriate just to handle normal wear and tear but not so strong that it destroys the fuselage on a hard landing or ...

Dick
Old 12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
glover1482

I've finished the assembly of my Ultimate 40S, and am now waiting for some good weather for a maiden flight. (It may be a long wait.)

My build was as described by the supplied instructions. For battery installation I cut a hole in the lower half of the firewall and installed a light plywood box that reached back to the wing servo. The three batteries sit on edge and side-by-side in the box and are held in place by foam and velcro. An access hatch in the lower cowl front allows for battery changeing. I discarded the supplied wheels and pants, and installed 3 inch wheels.

AUW 5.5 pounds (a little heavy, but I like fast toys)
Neu 1509/1.5 with 6.7:1 gearbox
CC HV-45 ESC with UBEC
15*10 APC-e prop
CG 3 inches from center leading edge
6S2P 4200 mAh LiPo (three 2S2P 4200's connected in series)
MotoCalc:
44 amps
847 watts in / 755 watts out
131 ounce static thrust
63 mph pitch speed
5:39 run time
2823 ft/min best climb rate

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all, Glover
Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 PM
wollins

Cmon' Glover ... pictures, PICTURES! Especially of your battery tray setup.

Thanks,

Colin.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
tramsay

Hello all,
I am really interested in this plane. I have been looking for a glow "First Bipe" ...and this price point is awesome.

I know greg is converting his to electric, but can anyone let me know how she flys with the recommended .40-.46 motor. Also general an assesment of the value would be great. Oh! and pix...lets see um.

Cheers!
~Tip
Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 PM
wollins

ORIGINAL: ropowell

Greg,

Since you're about to start the wing mounting -- let me add some comments. I mounted the wings as per instructions and at first, I wondered about the strength of the mounts -- especially the mounting of the cabane struts to the fuselage with a single small wood screw at each point. Said screw goes thru a thin sheet balsa side into a thin (1/16 -) lightweight plywood doubler. I fully intended to add a another plywood doubler to help anchor these screws and even considered going to a screw/nut anchorage, but somehow I never did anything beyond the suggested technique.

In the small flying time that I had, I did not see any problems with the mount system. And you're right, having those wing templets makes the alignment a NO PROBLEM event. It's quite amazing how easily this step goes.

When my aircraft spun to the ground there were extreme impact forces. The engine crushed the perimeter of the firewall back into the fuselage; the landing gear was ripped off taking part of both supporting fuselage formers but no other serious damage to the fuselage. The top wing came forward stripping out the cabane support screws from the fuselage with almost no damage to the fuselage and absolutely NO damage to the top wing. The screw anchorage system became a perfect "weak link" which minimized the damage from this serious accident! Neither wing required more than ten minutes of repairs!

So my point is: As I rebuild, I plan to use the anchorage system suggested with very little additions. I still believe a second small doubler may be appropriate just to handle normal wear and tear but not so strong that it destroys the fuselage on a hard landing or ...

Dick

Awesome info Dick ... sorry it came at such a "price". I find it amazing that you only sustained that amount of damage as I got the impression that you really came in HARD. I forget if you'd mentioned it before but about from what height did you go in? Secondly were you going really fast? (full throttle)

Colin.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:42 PM
glover1482

Colin: In the future, when I need to remove the cowl and wings; I'll gladly take some pictures. But since that is tedious for me to do, I'll wait until that date.

I know it's not pictures, but the process was rather simple as I just measured the batteries and cut a hole in the firewall of that size with a spiral bit in my hand held router (Dremel tool). I then made an open-ended box with 1/32 plywood and fiberglass at the joints... really simple, but crude. The box was slid into the opening and glued into place with a little reinforcement. A latchable opening was then cut into the cowl for access to slide the batteries (one at a time) into the box. A piece of foam fills the rest of the box (there is room to move the batteries back and forth to adjust the CG), and foam/batteries are held in place by a velcro strap that covers the opening. It takes a minute or so to remove/install the batteries, but no dis-assembly or tools are required. I don't like to be using screw drivers, etc at the flying field as I tend loose screws and nuts. But I do like to be able to have multiple battery packs that are easily replaceable.

The most difficult part of the whole process was decideing to cut the firewall hole. I first cut a hole in the fuselage side between formers two and three, but found that moved the CG too far forward with no way of making adjustments.

Happy Holidays, Glover
Old 12-27-2005, 05:35 AM
lee101

picts picts
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Greg Covey

Mounting the wings was even easier than I had expected it to be. The incidence templates and well fitting ARF parts made the assembly a snap.

The first step was to mount the bottom wing using a single screw and washer into a pre-mounted t-nut. Next, the upper wing braces are mounted and then the wing is positioned in place and held by the incidence templates. Since the proper position is revealed against the fuselage, it was an easy process to drill four holes and screw the upper wing braces to the fuselage sides. The last step is to attach the outer wing cabane on each side. I drilled the holes through both the cabane and wing holder while the incidence template was in place. I then removed the template to secure the cabane with the supplied screws, washers, and nuts. The other side was assembled in a similar fashion.

I had two spare metal braces left over that I couldn't figure out where they were needed. I saw no reference to them in the manual.

Name:	Om32323.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	377381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82712.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	377382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89501.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	377383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51369.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	377384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20011.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	377385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17262.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	377386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl95781.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	377387  
Old 12-29-2005, 10:56 AM
glover1482

"I had two spare metal braces left over that I couldn't figure out where they were needed. I saw no reference to them in the manual."

On mine and in my manual, those braces go from near the top of the front supports to the bottom of the back supports. Holes were already drilled and bolts/nuts were supplied. From your picture, the holes are also in your front brace.

Let the rains stop soon, Glover
Old 12-29-2005, 11:47 AM
tramsay

Looks awesome Greg!

Current owners, does it fly as good as it looks? Would you re-buy? Would this be a good first Bipe?

Got some christmas cash burning a hole in pocket, and I trying to decide what I should get.

Cheers!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Greg Covey

Glover,

Thanks for the tip! I had the tiny screws and nuts in my kit to mount the braces. They never showed up in my manual. Even the break out of all the parts doesn't show them. I'll have to assume that it was a modification and it took a while for the manual to catch up.

Tramsay,

I wouldn't recommend a performance bipe for your first biplane. Something more like a Tiger Moth or Super Stearman would be a better first choice because they land slower.

My bipe looks great even without any of the extra decals! I'll get my 6-cell BalancePro HD 3200mAh pack in a few weeks and be ready for a test fly.

Name:	Tr51103.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	377486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22181.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	377487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98118.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	377488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80575.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	377489  
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
tramsay

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your response.
I had a gws TigerMoth 400 that I flew the crap out of...ended up modifying it to have ailerons on the top wings aswell. I have intermediate pilot skills, and am flying some 3D on a Hangar 9 Twist (Hover,Flatspins, some Harriering), and also fly a p-51 that needs to be brought in pretty fast....that being said, would you still recommend I stay away from this plane as a first glow bipe? The price is just soooo right, and looks fantastic
Old 12-29-2005, 04:55 PM
Greg Covey

Oh, that should be plenty of experience for this plane. The main thing people have a problem with on Ultimates is remembering to keep some power applied on the landing. Set up a good approach and let it settle in with low power applied. Takeoffs and flying are a piece of cake.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:03 AM
wollins

ORIGINAL: Greg Covey

The flight pack will side by the receiver up front behind the firewall.

Greg, are you gonna be making any modifications (like a special battery tray and/or access hatch) in order to accomodate your flight pack and provide easy accessibility to it? If so I'm assuming that you'll also show that when you get your flight pack?

Thanks,

Colin.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:45 PM
glover1482

Is this enough?

Name:	Pn35817.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	378618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22930.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	378619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24900.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	378620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52490.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	378621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59864.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	378622  
Old 12-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Greg Covey

Colin,

Yes, I'll document my approach when I get my 6s pack. On these small .40-size bipes, the technique that glover1482 used is the best approach. You install the packs once for a day of flying and can recharge in the pits without removing the wing.

glover1482,

Where are your pants?

Happy New Year guys!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 PM
wollins

Thanks a lot Glover! Pictures are worth a thousand words! In my Pitts I actually came in THROUGH the canopy and the battery was velcroed on a sort of ramp/battery tray that was angled 45 degrees down towards the firewall. This worked well cause the canopy extended almost to the firewall of the plane and was designed from the get go by the kit maker to be removable.

Yours is the second one for the Ultimate that I've seen going through the cowl/firewall (see post #9 in this thread : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...dels+ultimate+ ) and it seems great.

However my concern is that access to it is so near the business end of the plane that I would be kinda nervous about connecting/disconnecting my batts before and after flights. I was wondering if someone was gonna try a battery access mod from the TOP of the plane (a hatch and ramp system like mine from the top but in this case BETWEEN the canopy and the firewall) thereby eliminating that potential problem. Any comments guys?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Colin,

Yes, I'll document my approach when I get my 6s pack. On these small .40-size bipes, the technique that glover1482 used is the best approach. You install the packs once for a day of flying and can recharge in the pits without removing the wing."

Really? I have always heard that you should never charge Lipos in your plane?[sm=confused.gif]

Colin.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM
glover1482

Greg:

My pants are on my withered old body, although on a daily basis (when I'm not in my RV down at the slope soaring site at Cape Blanco) I do use the BowFlex my Ultimate is being posed on.

I installed 3 inch wheels (too big for the supplied pants) so that I can fly from the grass sod farm site used by the local club (Salem Soaring Society). This toy would never ROG at my site while wearing the supplied wheels and pants... acres and acres of very lush grass.

Lots of lift, Glover (Yes, the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court and I do share middle names. But I must be a lot smarter than John Glover Roberts since I build and fly toy airplanes for a living... I mean full time hobby.)

PS Today's up beat weather forecast indicates that I'll be able to fly my Ultimate 40S by June 2006.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.