Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Guillows zero conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
kzimmerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guillows zero conversion.

Hello all,
The next project on my rooster is a guillows zero kit that I am going to convert for rc electric. I'm gonna build the plane pretty stock, take the incidence out of the wing and add in ailerons and elevator. It's gonna be micro servos for the two controls, and I was hoping to use a 900 Mah nickel hydride battery that I've got, It's five cells I believe. What size motor should I get for this airplane? It's 27 3/4" span, don't have the foggiest for the weight, as I havn't started building it yet. I don't really want to go brushless, just a brushed geared motor. Is there any really good reason to go with LiPoly cells? And If I do, how many cells? I've never done an elecrtic conversion, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:30 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Guillows zero conversion.

No good reason to invest in a brushless and lipoly power system unless you really want your small rubber kit conversions to fly well. I am flying a Guillows PT-17 32" span bipe using a Medusa 12mm 4200KV motor in a GWS DXA gearbox, 8x4.3 GWS SF prop, Phoenix 10 speed control and 400mah 3-S ( 3cell 11.1 volt) battery pack. I get quick ROG takeoffs and up to 10 minute flights. This setup is about 1/2 the weight of a geared 280 brushed motor on a 300mah 8-cell Nimh pack and makes all the difference in the world. There is a Himax outrunner (HC2208-0870) that should work well too. Three years ago all we had were geared 280-350 brushed motors and Nimh packs and many Guillows conversions didn't survive maiden flights, too heavy, tip stalled, crashed beyond repair, a few flew fairly well with expert builds and flight trimming and luck. If you are a beginner and/or can't afford brushless and lipo technology, build something light but with lots more wing area designed for small brushed electric power . You will get some real fun flying something like Mountain Models Cessna 180 or similar while saving up for the good stuff.