Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Super Sportster MKII conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Super Sportster MKII conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Gaiotto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster MKII conversion

Hi Guys,

I just ordered a GP Super Sportster MK II kit and I´d like to convert it to electric. I´d like to use an Axi motor, but I don´t know wich one. Could you please give me some models of Axi that I could use, propeller, battery and ESC?

Thanks
Gaiotto
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: Super Sportster MKII conversion

From the specs, I would contact Hobby Lobby and ask them specific questions such as: will the AXI 5300 or 4300 series of motors be suitable for this airplane. It looks like 22.2 volts with a at least a 90 amp ESC but by all means e-mail them they are super nice people and will answer you withing a day. they have advised me on at least 4 aircraft and everyone is a winner. Norm
Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 PM
LaxLife72
My Feedback: (108)

I've got one on order as well. The Axi 53xx series is certainly plenty of motor. The spec glow prop is an 18" which is the minimum for the 53xx series Axi. This spec is important because ground clearance of the prop is often the crucial limiting factor in tri-cycle undercarriages and electric conversion. I've mounted this Axi in a 17 lb GP Super Stearman biplane and its a nice match; scale, not aerobatic performance. At 13-14 pounds I think this new, big Sportster is at the low end of compatibility with the Axi 53xx mated to an 18" prop. A 19 or 20" prop might be better if one can get the ground clearance at these larger prop diameters. Battery? I think two 5s 18.5 volt lipoly's connected in series to produce 37+volts would give full power but one 5s pack might work as well. I'm sure someone out there can do the math in their head and straighten me out on this choice. I have had great experiences with Hacker C50 geared Acro motors and I wonder if a C50L13x might not be the aerobatic powerplane this plane deserves. Stay tuned they've missed another shipping date.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Gaiotto

Thanks Guys,

But I´m sorry so I don´t describe how model I bought. My model is SuperSportster MK II .40 , and I´d like to know please wich electric motor I could use on it. Sorry, for the delay...

Thanks
Gaiotto
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
LaxLife72
My Feedback: (108)

Ooopppsss! I was referring to the new, much bigger Great Planes Giant Super Sportster. Its smaller cousin is perfect for the Axi 2826-10 and a Thunderpower 3s, 11.1 volt 4200 mAh lithium polymer battery pack with a Jeti 70 or 77 opto ESC. I prefer to oversize the ESC and you'd probably want a BEC built into your ESC to eliminate the need for a separate receiver battery and its added weight. A larger Axi 43xx series won't work because you won't be able to mount a big enough prop and still have ground clearance. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Gaiotto

Ok Thanks for reply

Gaiotto