Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

I Need Help

Old 07-05-2006, 10:39 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help

I have been flying RC since 1975. I fly giant scale with gasoline engines. I have recently built an Old Timer Dallaire Sportster with a 108" wingspan. I was going to install a Saito .91 four stroke, but have decided to jump off into electrics. What motor would be best for this type of plane. The originals were free flight and used a 60 size glow engine. I have never owned an electric, so I don't know anything about motors, batteries, etc.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
airflow
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I Need Help

Something like this might do ?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=708
Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: I Need Help

Yes, that conversion suggested by Mr. Airflow, what a odd name, is right on. I have a similar set up in a 1/5 scale PT-19 and is all the power I need so it should fly the larger Dallair quite nicely. Now...my contribution, this is a huge old goat that will easily lift NiCads or NiH batteries and that would save you a bunch of money up front. In fact you can buy some high ma cells at Radio Shack or many other places. These cells are used for RC race cars and work great if the plane can carry the extra weight which yours can do. Also, once you start flying electrics you are not going to go back so buy name brand products, don't take the cheap route and buy unknown products just because they are cheaper. Also, because the batteries are cheaper you can make up several packs and fly while the other is being recharged. And...get a high quality charger, they are worth the extra money. Norm

that airplane may need center section reinforcement or even struts as the stresses you put on it will be much higher than with the original free flight mode of flight