Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

About O.S #8 plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: About O.S #8 plugs!

All right you guys, I see the BS level beginning to rise. Why don't some of you let it rest for a day? Maybe someone else will have some less volatile input to the thread?

What about suggestions on what you people think are good full length plugs from your experience?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Post number 37....try to keep up.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good attempt!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
obiwan12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all, I thought I'd chime in, in favor of the #8. I've used them in all my 2 stroke glow engines from a .25 to a 1.60 for the last 17 years. I've never had a single problem with that brand of plug. Most plugs will last 2 to 3 seasons, some a little more, some a little less. Usually from what the original poster stated, it sounds like you are running the engine too lean for maximum power. Back the engine off by 100 rpm to the rich side and you'll probably extend the life of your plugs.

On a side note, I've used fox and enya plugs along with the number 8 for the first five years of modeling with mixed results. I've usually noted during that time, that the non-OS plugs had a shorter lifespan.

TIFWIW.

My engines produce great power. I fly at sites that range from 600 ft ASL to 1200 ASL. Temps range from 20 degrees 20 % humidity to 95 degrees 90% humidity. As always, more power is "observed" in the cooler dense air of the winter/early spring than in the heat of summer.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair warning here- there is a bit of arguing just to argue. If you are arguing and making wild claims that you can't back up, I'm going to start pointing it out. This is not a forum to rile up members on your grudge list. If this applies to you, believe it. Everyone else can continue on.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: DarZeelon

Most of you know what I think about the OS #8...

Too short a reach; too short a life.

Never liked them very much and apparently never will.

But some others (probably not very wise people...) seem to see them as a solution to every problem - they will soon see disappointment.
You might want to change the copy on the MVVS website where you recommend TWO OS glow plugs for the products that YOU SELL.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Seeing how we're (probably not very wise people...) and we might read that as being a recommendation.

http://www.mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestanden/glow.htm

"As a glow plug for general use I recommend the types Novarossi #5, Enya #3, OS#8 or OS-F. These are all available at the better model airplane suppliers worldwide."

Unbelievable....[:'(] Medium length?........
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: obiwan12

Hi all, I thought I'd chime in, in favor of the #8. I've used them in all my 2 stroke glow engines from a .25 to a 1.60 for the last 17 years. I've never had a single problem with that brand of plug. Most plugs will last 2 to 3 seasons, some a little more, some a little less. Usually from what the original poster stated, it sounds like you are running the engine too lean for maximum power. Back the engine off by 100 rpm to the rich side and you'll probably extend the life of your plugs.

On a side note, I've used fox and enya plugs along with the number 8 for the first five years of modeling with mixed results. I've usually noted during that time, that the non-OS plugs had a shorter lifespan.

TIFWIW.

My engines produce great power. I fly at sites that range from 600 ft ASL to 1200 ASL. Temps range from 20 degrees 20 % humidity to 95 degrees 90% humidity. As always, more power is ''observed'' in the cooler dense air of the winter/early spring than in the heat of summer.
Very true, the colder, drier, denser air will produce more power. These variable will have a much greater impact on engine performance than the glow plug, for the most part.

My experience is that the Fox in more than adequate for the sport flier. In fact it is often more advantageous as it is cheaper than most (here in the USA). I do tend to blow the insulators on some of my piped engine with the Fox and OS more so than other brands.

As I have said I use a full range of Rossi plugs while setting up and engine. Once I find the range that works best I search for a cheaper alternative. I will say it is almost never an OS glow plug. Fit and price has a large effluence on this decision.(Yes, I use an OS plug in my Wankels.)
Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Broken Wings

The difference in price reflects the Solid Platinum coil used in a OS plug vs the Rhodium/Platinum Element. Solid Platinum coil is more expensive no matter who makes the glow plug...

Some plug elements are "plated" unlike a solid coil of material...
Old 10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
tony0707

HI
I HAVE BEEN runing glo engines40 to 1.80 size a total 26 years but over a period of 50 yearsi have never had a need to run any glo plug but a- K & B 1 L (is a medium heat range plug ) with or without an idle barthe plugs are the best medium long plug you can use for reliability and longevity ( and are a true long plugs) IMO-they last forever unless you have a very lean run OR you develope an air leak in your engine (that will take out ANY glo plug-)- the local hobby shop was were i got them until a few years ago -you can now buy them at : MERCO.com- i have been using the same glo plug since i was 16 years oldi am now 66 and fly RC for 20 years -now retired to central FLORIDA ( I HATE TO CHANGE WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME FOR SO LONG ) the HANGER 9 glo plug seems to be more readily available and a very good glo plug i only fly two sroke glo engines so a very outstanding glo plug is a must to keep my fleet of 23 airplanes flying on a regular basis my glo engines run better than mostBEST REGARDS TONY
Old 10-31-2010, 09:02 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: w8ye

All right you guys, I see the BS level beginning to rise. Why don't some of you let it rest for a day? Maybe someone else will have some less volatile input to the thread?

What about suggestions on what you people think are good full length plugs from your experience?

Fox

jess
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
oliveDrab

Here's some "...less volatile input to the thread".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvvvBGn7FxI
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

But some others (probably not very wise people...) seem to see them as a solution to every problem - they will soon see disappointment.
You might want to change the copy on the MVVS website where you recommend TWO OS glow plugs for the products that YOU SELL.....[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Seeing how we're (probably not very wise people...) and we might read that as being a recommendation.

''As a glow plug for general use I recommend the types Novarossi #5, Enya #3, OS#8 or OS-F. These are all available at the better model airplane suppliers worldwide.''

BW,

You might be that...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I surely am not.
Take a close look at the web site your post is referring to.

It is Pé Reivers'; not mine!
I would recommend no such thing; especially in sight of what I know about the OS #8 plug.

While I think Pé is a very knowledgeable person and a contributor to this web site and to the MVVS Support Forum in particular, I do not and can not agree with him on the recommendation of the OS #8.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Konrad
Banned

The difference in price reflects the Solid Platinum coil used in an OS plug vs the Rhodium/Platinum Element. Solid Platinum coil is more expensive no matter who makes the glow plug...
That might be the problem. Solid, as in pure, platinum often is not desirable. As with most metallurgy an alloy is much preferred. I hope you aren't suggesting that other brands use a hollow element for the coil?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Broken Wings

''As a glow plug for general use I recommend the types Novarossi #5, Enya #3, OS#8 or OS-F. These are all available at the better model airplane suppliers worldwide.''

BW,

You might be that...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

I surely am not.
Take a close look at the web site your post is referring to.

It is Pé Reivers'; not mine!
I would recommend no such thing; especially in sight of what I know about the OS #8 plug.

While I think Pé is a very knowledgeable person and a contributor to this web site and to the MVVS Support Forum in particular, I do not and can not agree with him on the recommendation of the OS #8.

I guess you and Pe will just have to disagree ....

I think I'll go with Pe's recommendation...

Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 AM
Broken Wings

ORIGINAL: Konrad

The difference in price reflects the Solid Platinum coil used in an OS plug vs the Rhodium/Platinum Element. Solid Platinum coil is more expensive no matter who makes the glow plug...
That might be the problem. Solid, as in pure, platinum often is not desirable. As with most metallurgy an alloy is much preferred. I hope you aren't suggesting that other brands use a hollow element for the coil?
That would be a very tiny tube wouldn't it.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM
cutaway

All the more reason to use a medium length plug and adjust the thickness of the sealing washer.....
Of the flyers you know, how many are even aware of a depth difference? In my club with hundreds of members, the ones who would even understand this discussion can be counted on one hand.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yikes, all this fighting over a little wire...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Yeah!
How many angels on a tip of a needle..?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: obiwan12

TIFWIW.

My engines produce great power. I fly at sites that range from 600 ft ASL to 1200 ASL. Temps range from 20 degrees 20 % humidity to 95 degrees 90% humidity. As always, more power is "observed" in the cooler dense air of the winter/early spring than in the heat of summer.

What plug doesn't last two or three years? Maybe I didn't fly the same model often enough but that seems the norm to me. IMO Enya probably last the longest. Fox RC plugs about average except the Gold and Miricle plug which last a long time. The OS F1 plug lasts a long time but OS #8 about average tobetter than average. But maybe I was running it more often, hard to say.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

The difference in price reflects the Solid Platinum coil used in a OS plug vs the Rhodium/Platinum Element. Solid Platinum coil is more expensive no matter who makes the glow plug...

Solid planinum is inferior to rhodium. And to my knowledge there are no longer any solid platinum plugs. Maybe a few racing plugs? OS doesn't make this claim. Cheap plug may have other metals other than platinum and rhodium, but solid platinum is not an advantage as they would be too soft. And wasn't it rhodium that improved heat at idle?

Presently platinum is about $1.720 per ounce and rhodium is $2,250 per ounce. So if OS is solid patinum instead of a platinum and rhodium, then it is the cheaper plug.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
Yeah!
How many angels on a tip of a needle..?
We don't need any junkie arguments. Get it?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Presently platinum is about $1.720 per ounce and rhodium is $2,250 per ounce. So if OS is solid patinum instead of a platinum and rhodium, then it is the cheaper plug.
Yes that may be true, but Platinum is also almost twice as dense as Rhodium so for a certain volume or length of wire, then platinum is the more expensive material...

Regarding the plug length, I'm pretty sure that the OS#8 is a good match for the OS .10 FSR head, while other plugs would be too long.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Yes that may be true, but Platinum is also almost twice as dense as Rhodium so for a certain volume or length of wire, then platinum is the more expensive material...

Regarding the plug length, I'm pretty sure that the OS#8 is a good match for the OS .10 FSR head, while other plugs would be too long.

True, but it is also has a higher melting point and considered a better catylist, at least for NO reduction. 81% of the worlds production used for catalytic converters. Not to say it is better for igniting methanol, but it may be.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
siberianhusky

Saw this on the home page and decided to give it a read.
As a boater we push our stuff to the limits and run nitro content that would scare most pilots!
For me I don not get any life out of OS plugs, tried a few heat ranges and all of them last about a run. If they last the coil is really messed up. They just seem too delicate. Maybe the wire is a smaller gauge, I honestly don't know the reason.
Why a cheaper plug like the McCoy lasts a day or more of running and a twice as expensive OS plug fails every run is beyond me, have the same issue with HPI plugs, I was stuck one day and pulled a 30 year old fox plug out of a 35 cl engine and got a days running, the plug is still fine and back in the CL engine.
And yes after 25 years of boating I know how to tune a hot boat engine. Including how to properly shim a head to adjust for nitro content etc.
My real world testing in a very harsh environment has proven as far as I am concerned is that OS plugs really suck in a marine application! This is across a number of brands of engine and sizes, all the way from a HPI .15 air cooled buggy motor in a small outrigger to big OPS .67s in deep vees, O.S .46 marine, K&B 3.5 and 7.5 marine inboard and a outboard 3.5, Nova Rossi 3 port .12 marine.
A wide variety of engines and no luck with OS plugs. I have no brand favorite and try out a few brands on each new engine until I find what it likes. For some reason that always seems to be a cheap McCoy! depending on the size of the engine and nitro content either medium or hot.
I run 30-50% nitro depending on the size of the engine. 18% oil with 3% being castor.
Flame away, thems the facts as far as I'm concerned, many years of real world testing there in a variety of engines in an environment way more brutal than most plane engines could live up to. I said MOST not all!
No idea how the work for a sport flyer but in my application they are a waste of money.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM
318scott
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
I have always run OS # 8 and just this year I have replaced a lot of them on my engines OS 91 FX"S. I think OS changed some thing or manufacture at what they cost now to replace is costly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.