Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Too much compression? Saito 125

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much compression? Saito 125

I have a 125 that wont turn over with the starter unless the carb is closed. I always turn the prop clockwise against compression then apply the starter, when the prop rotates against the compression is stops. If I use the kill switch to close the carb it turns over fine then I can have someone flip the switch to normal running position while I have it rotating and it will contimue to turn over and start.

I have 3 other Saito's 100, 120, and 125 that start normally. Ive been starting this particular 125 this way for over a year now but just thought I would put it up here to see if someone knows whats up with this motor.

Thank you
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Too much compression? Saito 125

I have five of them and none will start with a regular starter.

I have to use the 120 size or a Dynatron starter
Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 PM
mike109

G'day

I have a 100 and a 150. I used to have a 120. The 100 will sometimes start with the electric starter but the 150 never will. I just prime them well and back flip them. My Laser 100 and Laser 150 are the same. They start on the first back flip on most occasions. The Lasers ALWAYS do.

Mike in Oz

Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many times, folks use a regular starter with a 7 AH, or smaller, wet cell or cluster of NiCads to power the starter. It would surprise most folks to learn that even a regular starter is capable of reliably starting a 20cc four-stroke if a large enough capacity battery is used. I'm basing the performance of a regular starter on the normal glow engine starter that is sold by Sullivan. I have no experience with the Chinese made, el cheapo brand starters.

Truthfully, Saito glow four-strokes are easy to start simply by choking/priming, flipping the engine over several times WITHOUT the battery hooked up to the glow plug, moving the throttle stick to 1/4 or 1/3 open, hooking the battery to the glow plug and simply twisting the spinner backwards against compression. If you had enough fuel in the cylinder and the glow plug is glowing properly, just bumping the piston against compression is usually enough to fire up the engine. Yes, it takes a little practice, but once mastered, you will discover that just about any kind of glow engine can be started in this manner.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 PM
selnekav

My starter also struggle to rotate my Saito 125... it's possible only after priming the engine, and turning the prop clockwise against the comperssion stroke.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:42 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Use a 310 amp garden tractor battery and they will roll over in a hurry. The last one I bought was about $21.00 at NAPA.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 AM
mike109

G'day

Yes, I am sure you gents are right about using a larger 12 volt battery. But my problem is simply that I am basically lazy. And I already take too much junk when I go flying so I just prime my larger engines, get the $5 chicken stick and give the prop a push backwards and ROAR away they go. I am one of the people who just uses a small 7.2 Ampere battery. It is fine up to about 90 to 100 sizes but far too small after that.

I have recently made an executive decision to concentrate on engines in the 40 to 90 size range and my little battery can handle them easily.

We have a small group in our club that fly IMAC type planes. Gas engines of 50cc and bigger, models around 30% scale etc. They all need trailers to cart their stuff around so they have HUGE batteries, PA systems, HI-FI gear, sun awnings, chairs, even inverters to give them mains voltages. After seeing all this, I decided that smaller models are the way for me.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

Yes, I am sure you gents are right about using a larger 12 volt battery. But my problem is simply that I am basically lazy. And I already take too much junk when I go flying so I just prime my larger engines, get the $5 chicken stick and give the prop a push backwards and ROAR away they go. I am one of the people who just uses a small 7.2 Ampere battery. It is fine up to about 90 to 100 sizes but far too small after that.

I have recently made an executive decision to concentrate on engines in the 40 to 90 size range and my little battery can handle them easily.

We have a small group in our club that fly IMAC type planes. Gas engines of 50cc and bigger, models around 30% scale etc. They all need trailers to cart their stuff around so they have HUGE batteries, PA systems, HI-FI gear, sun awnings, chairs, even inverters to give them mains voltages. After seeing all this, I decided that smaller models are the way for me.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

I know what you mean, Mike. I own all sizes of engines, up to 62cc, but my favorites are the .40 to 1.08 sizes. Occasionally, I drop down into the .10 to .39 sizes too. But they are mostly model Diesel engines. When I can stand the stink and have the fuel. You have to watch when calling around to find a case of John Deere starting fluid these days. If you're not truckin', folks tend to think that you want the ether for making methamphetamine. If I did, I wouldn't weight the 260 lbs. that I weigh at the moment!

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM
selnekav

I am using my car battery... ( i am not sure about the AH ) but still it's not easy to turn the Saito 125.. the solution is high torque starter..

my friend just bought new one, and it's capable to turn any of his gas engines ( i think up to 80cc )

http://cyclonetoy.en.alibaba.com/pro...g_Starter.html

Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: selnekav

I am using my car battery... ( i am not sure about the AH ) but still it's not easy to turn the Saito 125.. the solution is high torque starter..

my friend just bought new one, and it's capable to turn any of his gas engines ( i think up to 80cc )

http://cyclonetoy.en.alibaba.com/pro...g_Starter.html

Or a standard Sullivan starter with your car battery...(smile)

The Chinese, or other Asian manufacturer, had to cut corners somewhere to generate a savings. Could it have been in the number of windings or the gauge of the wiring?

You know, it just occurred to me that maybe the brushes in your starter need replacing. An easy job and one that can increase the current handling capacity of your starter, regardless of manufacturer.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-30-2011, 05:29 AM
mike109

G'day Ed

Yes, like you I have a range of engines to play with. I have only owned one petrol (gas) engine and I bought it on a whim because it was cheap and sold it almost immediately.

My engines range from a diesel 0.33cc (what ever that is in Imperial) to a pair of 150 four strokes (Saito and Laser) and the big engines rarely get an outing. It is simply the problem of carting them and their large planes.

Mostly I fly my smaller 40 to 60 size engines and some electrics too. I also have some diesels but the ether problem is no better here. In New South Wales you need a police licence to buy ether and to get that is very difficult so you either have to use commercial fuel of unknown composition or beg some ether off the few control line and old timer pilots who do have some. Against all reason, I have just bought an Enya 41 four stroke diesel and I was playing with it today. I may even try to start it tomorrow. I have a couple of litres of commercial fuel and will give that a try. I spent the afternoon fiddling with it. It is very difficult to get the head torqued down without causing the cylinder to distort. The instructions specifically say to not over tighten the head though it was very tight out of the box (and the piston was very tight at the top of the stroke).

My most recent model is a Sig Somethin' Extra with an elderly Enya CX 45 in it. Goes a treat but on high rates (which are lower than Sig recommends) it is a beast. It is a sensible size though.

Cheers

Mike

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 AM
selnekav

You are right i don't have the Sullivan ( i think i have the "tower hobbies" starter )
anyway according to Sullivan tech note the standard starte intended for engines up to 0.6 cubic inches engines ( and many of 1.2 cubic inches )

it's easier to use high tourqe for those bg engines.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Thanks Guy's guess I'll be trying the backflip method on this motor.