Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

(breatherless) new OS 4-strokes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Nitro-Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (breatherless) new OS 4-strokes

I have also used Marvel Mystery Oil.....is this any good?

Someone told me to use that [:-]?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Ernie Misner

Yes, Marvel is great. Most folks are using the Marvel Air Tool Oil though since it preserves O-rings, etc. as well. Or mix it 50/50 with ATF. If you get sidetracked and don't get back to starting it up for a few years the ATF gives superior long term protection over any oils which tend to evaporate or congeal.

Ernie
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I'll see what I can come up with at the marina down by Cayuga Lake.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FSa-81 backplate has a boss where one could easily add a nipple if deemed necessary.

The engines I run with this crankcase vent arrangement I use a procedure to shut down at the end of the day. I run the engine at full throttle to get it hot. Then, run it at a high idle for a while to provide some manifold vacuum to clear the crankcase, and cut off the fuel. I crank it over to make sure all the fuel is gone and that's it.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Ernie Misner

Keep looking and you'll see the outboard fogging oil real cheap in some large departments where boat supplies are also sold. Usually the CRC brand.

Ernie
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM
tony0707

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

What failures of the Vega can be attributed to the block material? Wikipedia has a nice writeup on the Vega. There may not be many Vega rolling these days, but there are many premium makes producing quite a few vehicles using the exact same block design without issue. This just shows that being unaware of technology is the only reason to shrug off a simple change as ineffective. Do your due diligence before posting inaccurate information about a product you don't even own, because you heard about something 40 years ago.

OS Engines died with the passing of Mr. Ogawa. I have two NIB OS .55AX engines that I just can't bring myself to use. Why? They are ugly - and that is enough of a reason as far as I'm concerned. I don't doubt for a second that it is because of my age and experience. Truthfully, I'd just rather remember them the way that they were than be disappointed with how they might be. Yes, not logical or scienrific at all.

Ed Cregger
HI
HOW in the world can you evaluate an engine that you have not taken the time to runAND BY LOOKS ???? the AX series of engines are some of the most powerful engines in there class that OS has ever put out my 75 AX is more powerful than my 91 FX turns an inch bigger prop
i been flying for 20 years since the FSR series of engines use to be the most powerful OS two cycle engines there were
do yourself a big favor and put the 50 AX in something and go fly it you are in for a new pleasant surprise
BEST REGARDS TONY
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

I have the 110a OS and it is just perfect.  It is in a Little Toni turning a APC 12x12.
120 MPH.  I always run the engine dry,  Keep hitting it with the starter at low idle
until it will not fire .  Never used after run oil.  Engines are fine and clean.  Just do not
leave fuel in the engine.

Tim

Old 07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

In never thought of os engines as ugly.but maybe thats one reason I dumped all my ugly 2 strokes.loud oily and blah.now as for four strokes niceeeesound.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tony0707

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

What failures of the Vega can be attributed to the block material? Wikipedia has a nice writeup on the Vega. There may not be many Vega rolling these days, but there are many premium makes producing quite a few vehicles using the exact same block design without issue. This just shows that being unaware of technology is the only reason to shrug off a simple change as ineffective. Do your due diligence before posting inaccurate information about a product you don't even own, because you heard about something 40 years ago.

OS Engines died with the passing of Mr. Ogawa. I have two NIB OS .55AX engines that I just can't bring myself to use. Why? They are ugly - and that is enough of a reason as far as I'm concerned. I don't doubt for a second that it is because of my age and experience. Truthfully, I'd just rather remember them the way that they were than be disappointed with how they might be. Yes, not logical or scienrific at all.

Ed Cregger
HI
HOW in the world can you evaluate an engine that you have not taken the time to runAND BY LOOKS ???? the AX series of engines are some of the most powerful engines in there class that OS has ever put out my 75 AX is more powerful than my 91 FX turns an inch bigger prop
i been flying for 20 years since the FSR series of engines use to be the most powerful OS two cycle engines there were
do yourself a big favor and put the 50 AX in something and go fly it you are in for a new pleasant surprise
BEST REGARDS TONY

You are right, Tony. I cannot possibly evaluate an engine that I haven't ran. No argument. You win.

I'll take a little more pain medication and mount one of them on a Harrier 46. It should handle that model just fine.

Basically, in a roundabout sort of way, I was lamenting the loss of Mr. Ogawa and his particular "style", if you know what I mean?

Ed Cregger
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am happy with the AX and FSII series OS engines. I see no reason why OS introduced new engine sizes other than to nearly double the price of the previous versions. Sure a 10% larger engine will produce more power. But doubling the price is absurd.

We were able to buy a new OS .70 FSII for $170
Now the new OS .81a is $370 ... The extra power is not worth the price.

If we wanted more power than a 70 four stroke, we'd go to the .91 for a mere and reasonable price of $190
But now, the new OS 95 four stroke engine is $300

I'm so glad I bought the previous series of engines. When I saw the new series being introduced, I bought enough 2-stroke .61's and .91 and four stroke .70FSII's and .91 FSII's to last me the rest of my life.

I even have several .50SX engines and they are great ... more powerful than the .46AX engine.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:38 AM
tryingagain

OK Ed I have to ask. If the 55 is so ugly, why did you end up with 2 of them?
One thing I have noticed on RCU is the number of guys willing to do whatever they can for another enthusiast. I am sure there are a couple of us out here who would love to alleviate your eyestrain and take an engine off your hands. I am sure they would even pay the shipping!
Seriously though find a plane where you can hide it under a cowl, if you have to, and enjoy it.
I have never used the 55 but I have two 46AX and a 35AX and I love them!
It is disappointing when a product we have grown to trust and love starts to come out with corners cut and the product cheapened. For my money OS is still one of the better investments out there. I am not trying to denegrate any other manufacturer by the way. I think all of the companies have there lemon and they all have there jewels too.
I am shopping for a four stroke for my Astro Hog and OS is at the top of my list.
Here is hoping for many more good years for them.

Cheers

Gord
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
retransit
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The unibody construction was another name for cheap and flimsy.
Well that must have actually worked out well. Now every car has unibody. The last body on frame was the 2007 Crown Vic.
The last body on frame is currently the Lincoln Town Car, made in Ontario, Canada after the closure of the U.S. plant.

Bob
Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tryingagain

OK Ed I have to ask. If the 55 is so ugly, why did you end up with 2 of them?
One thing I have noticed on RCU is the number of guys willing to do whatever they can for another enthusiast. I am sure there are a couple of us out here who would love to alleviate your eyestrain and take an engine off your hands. I am sure they would even pay the shipping!
Seriously though find a plane where you can hide it under a cowl, if you have to, and enjoy it.
I have never used the 55 but I have two 46AX and a 35AX and I love them!
It is disappointing when a product we have grown to trust and love starts to come out with corners cut and the product cheapened. For my money OS is still one of the better investments out there. I am not trying to denegrate any other manufacturer by the way. I think all of the companies have there lemon and they all have there jewels too.
I am shopping for a four stroke for my Astro Hog and OS is at the top of my list.
Here is hoping for many more good years for them.

Cheers

Gord

Hi, Gord.

I always kid around about how ugly my Saito engines are too, but I still have all of them.

I'm sure that there was a story behind why I have two NIB OS .55AX engines, but I can't remember it. I must have had a twin engine model in mind. Wouldn't you guess?

Ed Cregger
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait
I'd like to know who has put a nipple on the 81a. I'm afraid to put fuel in mine till I know how to protect it. Another guy in the club got one and pretty soon it started sounding like a garbage truck. He opened it up and the bearings were totally shot. Out of warranty, OS charged him a bundle to fix it. Now he's afraid to run it too.
Jim
You remove the backplate, and drill a small hole and tap it for a 6/32 fuel fitting like they use on the mufflers. Then you can use a short length of tubing to add ARO to the insides of the engine. Screw in the fitting before you bolt the backplate back up so you can determine if it protrudes too much on the inside or not.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Ernie Misner

About running the engines dry at the end of the day..... yes, I sure do that but I thought it was 2-strokes where fuel entered the crankcase thus being of great importance to run them dry. Can't see how running a 4-stroke dry would help prevent rust in the bottom end much ... ?

Ernie
Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just discussed the OS 81a with my friend who had the bearings rust. Now that his is fixed he is also waiting to run it till he decides what to do.

His thought was to hook up a fuel tank full of ARO to the fuel nipple on the engine and then spin it with an electric starter. His thinking was that four strokes have good enough draw that simply spinning the engine with the starter would suck in the oil, and by spinning for several seconds you would get it distributed to the same places you would if you actually ran it with fuel.

I don't know the answer to the question above about running engines dry. Our assumption is that at the end of each flying session you would first run the engine dry, then hook up the oil supply to the fuel nipple, and then spin the heck out of the engine for a bit.

Anybody see any reason why this wouldn't work?

Jim
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Anybody see any reason why this wouldn't work? >>>

Yes, it won't work simply because it is a 4-stroke. It would work on a 2-stroke where fuel (oil in this case) is drawn into the crankcase and bearing area. On a 4-stroke the fuel is drawn only into the combustion chamber and exits through the exhaust...... so there is only one solution and it is an easy one, to drill and JB Weld a nipple into the back plate. Very easy to do. Put a piece of tubing onto the nipple and keep it plugged while running, then at the end of the day unplug it and shoot a big slug of ARO directly into the crankcase. Re-plug tubing.

I know, a tiny bit of oil blows past the ring and lubes the bottom end while they are running, but you are not going to get a large volume of ARO into the bottom end that way at all. Your friend's idea isn't new. I have seen a couple of people doing just that and thinking they are protecting the bearings but they are not.

Ernie
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

I think OS didn't learn their lesson about inferior metallurgy after the ABN episode. With valve springs slamming a valve shut at how many times a second, I see anything softer than Bronze or similar in the seat/guide to fail before its time. Maybe a valve will wear in its guide and the keeper wil let go, which will take care of the piston. that's really too bad since OS does know how to make a great engine; it just chaps me they want to compete price wise with YS which is silly. BTW, the only Vega worth having had the Cosworth engine; The fourbanger was an afterthought since Chevrolet was going to drop in a 350 but the impending doom insurance deal put an end to that. Teflon cylinders, anyone want to drop a suggestion to OS?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have also used Marvel Mystery Oil.....is this any good?
No, it will not mixwith the oil already in the engine. This causes mosisture being trapped betweenthe oil and metal parts causing pitting. You need one that will, either a thick synthetic, or castor oil. I would suggest using the after run oil YS recommends.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Roary m

I think OS didn't learn their lesson about inferior metallurgy after the ABN episode. With valve springs slamming a valve shut at how many times a second, I see anything softer than Bronze or similar in the seat/guide to fail before its time. Maybe a valve will wear in its guide and the keeper wil let go, which will take care of the piston. that's really too bad since OS does know how to make a great engine; it just chaps me they want to compete price wise with YS which is silly. BTW, the only Vega worth having had the Cosworth engine; The fourbanger was an afterthought since Chevrolet was going to drop in a 350 but the impending doom insurance deal put an end to that. Teflon cylinders, anyone want to drop a suggestion to OS?

They use the high silicon aluminum for valve guides in lawn mowers and I have never seen one wear out. I would think they would work fine in the much lower temperature operating range of glow engines.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Roary m

They use the high silicon aluminum for valve guides in lawn mowers and I have never seen one wear out. I would think they would work fine in the much lower temperature operating range of glow engines.
I am with Sport_Pilot, i has lawn mower with Briggs and Stratton engine. There is aluminium overall both valve guides, cylinder and bearings. No worned out engine after a lot of years use.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Roary m

That's a new one on me; If the aluminum will work, well why not. I didn't know lawn mowers were using the same material in guides and seats. You're right about operating temp which would make or break the engine.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> No, it will not mix with the oil already in the engine. This causes mosisture being trapped between the oil and metal parts causing pitting. You need one that will, either a thick synthetic, or castor oil. I would suggest using the after run oil YS recommends. >>>

Sport Pilot, what about Marvel Air Tool Oil? We've been using that for decades.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

Sport Pilot, what about Marvel Air Tool Oil? We've been using that for decades.
Same issue.  Keep in mind that for storage, when you check for moisture and fuel before putting it away the petroleum oils work fine.  And most of the time there is no issue as an after run oil as well.  But if there is a lot of moisture, the oil will not mix with the excess fuel and oil, and may trap water and fuel under the oil. 
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Roary m

I think the only engine you would absolutely not use Marvel Mystery in are the YS makes. It will attack the diaphragm membrane. There may others I am not aware of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.