Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by okcrcpilot
I did not know UMS produced a 5-cylinder 115 radial and having just looked on CH-Ignitions web site, I did not see it listed as an available engine. I'm interested, so I would like to know where you purchased this engine. Also, is your Waco the 63" 1:5 3/4 version?

Here it is Ok. I miss spoke. This is the box from CH in Florida. Adrian is a great help as the USA retailer and provides stocked parts and warranty work if needed. Great person to work with this far...

This is the installed engine. I was able to start a new thread as Tom kindly suggested. Thanks for your interest gentlemen. I am very happy with the appearance of the engine. I am making preparations to start and break it in soon. I need to balance the airframe after installing the receiver and batteries. I intend to remove the cowl and baffle the cylinders via an aluminum baffle plate I am going to make and attach to the inside of the cowl. The new tight engine will run hot somewhat I expect.

The data sheets/manuals.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:40 PM
okcrcpilot

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, makes perfect sense now. In your first posting you said, "I just bought a 115 from CH" (picture is of a 5-cylinder included) hence the reason for my questions and now understand you meant to say a 125. Yes, Adrian is GREAT to work with and I have purchase several UMS radials from him. GREAT engines and good service from CH-Ignitions.
The following users liked this post:
Hyjinx (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 07:28 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by okcrcpilot
Okay, makes perfect sense now. In your first posting you said, "I just bought a 115 from CH" (picture is of a 5-cylinder included) hence the reason for my questions and now understand you meant to say a 125. Yes, Adrian is GREAT to work with and I have purchase several UMS radials from him. GREAT engines and good service from CH-Ignitions.
Dear Okcrcpilot, sorry to confuse. Dumb-thumbed the post. This is my first of the "new" UMS offerings for me. I have an Evo 7-77 and did have the Evo 7-35. I have enjoyed the nitro HH versions well. Looking forward to the gas products also. Thanks for your input!
Aaron (Hyjinx)
Old 04-18-2022, 07:32 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by Maxam
I would be interested. Under gas engines just start a new thread. Maybe title "UMS new radial Engines". I have the new Gas 55cc, 100cc 5 cylinder and the new glow 35 cc 7 cylinder engines. The 100 cc is a near perfect engine when using the APS power fuel pump. The 55 cc 5 cylinder had a lousy carb. The Saito 90R3 carb worked way better on gas.. -Tom
Thanks Tom. I was able to start a thread with a similar title. New to that process. As always, thank you for your considered input.
Aaron
Old 07-24-2022, 07:01 AM
Maxam
My Feedback: (62)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 7-35 glo new version. Lars are you still flying?

Recently I acquired two of the new UMS 7-35 7-cylinder glow engines. One was supplied with the OS type F glow plugs and the other are unmarked UMS?? plugs. I never thought I would say this but the unmarked plugs are much better! The new engines are a great improvement with good carbs, no need to replace them. Mine both turn a Xoar 17x8 at 6500 rpm. True horsepower is 1.3 which is reasonably good. Excellent throttling. Does anyone know the origins of the unmarked plugs? -Tom

Lars I hope you are well and still enjoying your 7-35.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:07 AM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

this plane is so beautiful 😍
Old 07-24-2022, 12:10 PM
Linkan2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tom Nice to read that something from the ums factory works well from the start.
interesting, will ask ums about type of glow plug!
Yes I am active with my 7-35 which works very well.
With prop 18x8 from Graupner G-sonic 6800 rpm. and still in Greate planes PT17.
Lars
Old 07-24-2022, 02:00 PM
Maxam

Glad to hear Lars, I am not so excited about the 7-50 gas. The additional weight of the ignition unit and the ungainly 7 thick ignition wires makes me prefer the simple light weight 7-35 glow. Your ARF Stearman shows some ARF's can hold up for years. -Tom
Old 07-29-2022, 07:42 PM
Hyjinx

Hello All. Finally started the new 125 today. Very pleased with the experience. Give it a listen. Planned on flying it tomorrow at a show put on by our club. Decided against it as I won't have a baffle ready for the Waco cowl. I only got one quart of break in fuel through the motor anyway.
Too nice a motor to rush a proper break in. And or overheat. It ran in the 125 to 130 degree range below 4000 rpm, five or so heat cycles.Very pleased with the motor!
Aaron-
Old 07-29-2022, 07:51 PM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by RadialWacko

this plane is so beautiful 😍
It certainly is. I obtained one earlier in the year in Alabama pre flown. Had some concerns due to the negative posts about the airframe failing in the air. Hoping a used one may be flight proven.
I do feel some support bracing around the lower wing perch is applicable on the one I ended up with. Worth the consideration anyway. Overall a beautiful mount for sure! Congratulations on yours!.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:54 PM
RadialWacko

Thanks! Yep, I've heard it all before. I actually opened up all four of the wings on the bottoms and did a lot of reinforcing and patched up the covering. Can't even tell!

I also took the opportunity to install the Dave's RC Electronics lights installed with the wing lights, nav lights, and a strobe on top! It's a beaut. The lights are so bright, I can't wait to fly at twighlight.

Here are my lights...

And the engine run up...

Last edited by RadialWacko; 07-29-2022 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:47 AM
Hyjinx

Originally Posted by RadialWacko
Thanks! Yep, I've heard it all before. I actually opened up all four of the wings on the bottoms and did a lot of reinforcing and patched up the covering. Can't even tell!

I also took the opportunity to install the Dave's RC Electronics lights installed with the wing lights, nav lights, and a strobe on top! It's a beaut. The lights are so bright, I can't wait to fly at twighlight.

Here are my lights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArNek76Ocrc

And the engine run up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkFexUOAWWc
Sweet!
Just started mine Friday for the first time. Have a half gallon 32:1 through it in 5-10 minute heat cycles. Very happy with it. At 3000 rpm it feels like it may rip the wings off this airframe. The perches are definitely getting reworked. Did you find issues in the wings when you opened them up?
Aaron-
RadialWacko (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:38 AM
RadialWacko

Right?? Yeah I may even end up limiting the throttles top range just for more sensitivity. Seems like there isn't a whole lot of difference between half and full throttle but we will see!

I really didn't notice anything obvious, but I still think it was worth it. Very easy to just cut a big square in the bottom and patch it back up.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:06 PM
slskn
My Feedback: (4)

Default Evolution 9.99

Hello Evolution owners, just wondering if anyone out there has a brass push rod guide for a 9.99 Evo I had one split between the nut and threads ( luckily got the threads out), but now am down til I can get one or a few for spares if so, would really appreciate it, cell is 810-247-0676, or email [email protected] and can provide address, thank you in advance thank you!!! Steve from Michigan USA.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 PM
RadialWacko

delete. double post.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:20 PM
RadialWacko

Did you find issues in the wings when you opened them up?
Nothing major, but it was WELL worth doing. I dumped about 3/4 of a medium sized bottle of extra thick super glue in as many of the joints as I could reach and even put some joiners in some of them. Super easy with the white cover to just cut a big square and easy to patch up. I would recommend it, personally. I love your star was rebel symbol. Do you have a lazer cutter or something that you did that with? I love it.

Finally got to maiden the Waco today. Was a bit of a pain to get started for only the second time this year. I think I just didn't prime it enough so I was cranking for awhile before it sarted to pop, and then I think I just kinda forgot my standard procedure.
It idled pretty well around 1k, just enough for a very slow taxi. Didn't really mess with the low end screw much as I was just antsy to fly. But it came back to bite me when I ran out of runway and had to kill it to get it to stop in time, but that was my fault. Hardly ever even got over half throttle. I put a LARGE expo on the throttle because there is so much range in power at the bottom half of this engine. It's a beast! Sounds sooo good in the air. Was an absolutely beautiful day for a maiden.

Last edited by RadialWacko; 08-25-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:30 PM
Hyjinx

Very nice RW. Hope it went well. The graphic on mine was on it when I picked it up in Alabama. I don't t what it actually is means LoL. This one maidened ok and took little down elevator.
Flew ok but took a lot on of aileron adjustments to get straight and level. Had a bit of twist in the wing (common I guess for this arf?) The powerplant is awesome Quarter throttle flies it with authority. Plenty o speed above that.i baffled it but haven't flown it with the cowl on yet. Temping it after land and cooling idle before shut down gives consistent 140 to 150. Cowl next to compare baffled runs. Super pleased. Stopped the annual show at our club. Few had seen a engine of this ilk. I bought a full light kit for opening the wings to fortify. I strengthened the perches with angle hard wood and epoxy. VERY happy with the investment. Didn't get good recording for u tube unfortunately. Love your lighting. Can't wait for mine. Did have trouble with the landing gear loosening. Not happy with the arf there. Should be one peice inmho.
Your back drop is with the mountains.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:24 AM
Maxam

For those interested searching around on the forums a gentleman was touting the qualities of the Sonictronics #302 glow plugs as superior to the O.S. type F plugs. As mentioned earlier in the thread I have two 7-35 glow radials. The one with the unknown plugs running much better than the one with the F plugs. So, I got ahold of the 302 plugs and installed them. A vast improvement!! Yes, the usual improved running qualities such as far lower and more reliable idle and throttle transition occurred. The great surprise is a great increase in power from 1,3 Hp to 1.87. The test mule plane weighing 12.5 Lbs. went from flying on the underpowered side to a solid performer with strong up lines. Full throttle before is now half throttle. I have had to go from a 17x8 to an 18x8 and that prop really is too small with the engine running at excessive rpm. Evidently there was incomplete retarded combustion with the F plugs as the engine now is actually leaned out more using less fuel. A 6oz fuel tank providing 10-minute flights with a 35cc engine!
Commenters ask, "why are people still using glow?" Simplicity and neatness without the 1/4-inch ungainly ignition wires, the weight of the ignition system is excessive on the smaller engines, the need, complexity and weight of a fuel pump needed with the walbro carbs and the engines running much hotter than glow. With 10 % oil in the glow engines the mess is not too bad and the black guk out of the gas engines is not the greatest. The glow engines with if proper care will last forever. 12 years and 400 flights on my old 9-90 shows no wear! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my gas radials but glow has its place.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:54 AM
tih
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Evidently there was incomplete retarded combustion with the F plugs as the engine now is actually leaned out more using less fuel. A 6oz fuel tank providing 10-minute flights with a 35cc engine!
Do you think that might mean that the factory carburetor could supply a sufficiently rich mixture for the engine to run well with these plugs?

-tih
Old 08-28-2022, 08:27 AM
Maxam

That is a good question. With my experience I doubt it. The F plugs do work fine in the bigger engines. The 302 plugs are $14.65 each.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:53 AM
Linkan2

Hi Tom
Do you know where to buy these glow plugs 302.
And who manufactures them?
Lars
Old 08-31-2022, 08:20 AM
RadialWacko

A quick Google search shows up with...

https://www.sonictronics.us/glow-plu...nd-hp-engines/
Linkan2 (09-01-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 09:15 AM
Maxam

Lars, As Radial Wacko says, the plugs are made by Sonictronics in the US. I have 14 more on order. They said they have a bunch in stock. Today I got a Fiala 18x8 and an 18x10 prop. The 18x8 from this brand runs too fast but what performance! An 18x8 Falcon and 18x8 Xoar run 500 rpm slower than the Fiala. -Tom
Linkan2 (09-01-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 04:24 PM
Hyjinx

Lars, As Radial Wacko says, the plugs are made by Sonictronics in the US. I have 14 more on order. They said they have a bunch in stock. Today I got a Fiala 18x8 and an 18x10 prop. The 18x8 from this brand runs too fast but what performance! An 18x8 Falcon and 18x8 Xoar run 500 rpm slower than the Fiala. -Tom
Hi AllJust checking in with good vibes (or low tones lol) specially for the Radial Wacko...I attached a link of a short video of my freshly broken in UMS 125 mounted on a Phoenix Waco ARF (same airframe as the Wackos.) Hardy Harr Harr....
Obviously not the Evo version motor platform this forum is devoted to. But I thought y'all might enjoy it regardless.
Cheers
Aaron-
Old 09-20-2022, 12:00 PM
RadialWacko

Nice landing! Looks like it does great on grass. I thought my 90cc was a lot, 125 must really fill out the cowl space!

Here is my flight from last week... I had an emergency in flight... At first I thought it was just the engine running rough as the temperature has been cooling off since I last flew it. Then I thought maybe a push rod was rattling. But once the noise got real bad I knew I had to come down. So word of warning to everyone... Be sure your cowl is SECURE! I had at least one loose and one missing screw next to each other and the pressure inside the cowl pushed the cowl forwards into the back of the prop. I was amazed it didn't bring the plane down. After taking the prop off I noticed that the burning/melting epoxy actually kind of laminated the damaged spots of the propeller which is probably what kept it in one piece and saved my butt. Besides the time and effort I put into customizing the cowling and making the baffles, overall not a huge issue. Not that this plane would be that difficult to float back to the airfield... HA! Please don't judge my take off or landing.. It was only my fourth flight and my worst one yet all around.

Last edited by RadialWacko; 09-20-2022 at 12:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.