Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Gotta Love Them OS Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gotta Love Them OS Guys

I second Buzzard's P.S. It's true, if you can tune a Cox engine, you can tune any engine. I like OS but I think they like feeling their oats just a little too much.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cornduster

The engine was still under warrenty but they would not honor it. They claimed I didn't care for the engine properly. What a bunch of BS! I run the engine dry after each session and use after run oil, my planes are kept in a heated/airconditioned shop.
What else could I possibly do to care fore them any better. They charged me $80. with shipping but the said they gave me a break on the price. LOL

I don't know about taking care of it, but a scuff on the liner and scored bearings from debris is typically not covered under warranty.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Cornduster

The chrome off the bearing failure was the bebris that scarred the piston and liner. I would think that should be covered as an engine part.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

The chrome off the bearing failure was the bebris that scarred the piston and liner. I would think that should be covered as an engine part.

No, there is no chrome on the bearings, that is metal worn off by sand or some other hard debris. It is not something OS would be expected to warrant.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Cornduster

what are the balls in the bearing race covered with?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

what are the balls in the bearing race covered with?
They area solid very hard steelnot covered with anything. What you see is a failure called spalling. The failure (usually from debris) cause a intergrain seperation that happens just below the surface. As an example you can also get intergrain corrosion which causes rust to come off in sheets.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Cornduster

No chrome, that is probably the problem. A quality chrome or ceramic bearing will hold up much better, quite a bit of the stainless steel bearings are of low quality stainless. The older engines held up much longer, I have noticed this problem just over the past couple of years.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

No chrome, that is probably the problem. A quality chrome or ceramic bearing will hold up much better, quite a bit of the stainless steel bearings are of low quality stainless. The older engines held up much longer, I have noticed this problem just over the past couple of years.

After my comment Ithought Imight be wrong about the intergrain failure and I am. So I looked it up. A high chrome bearing will not hold up better than the hard chrome and carbon steel used in bearings. And ceramic bearing fail from dust and sand as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spall
Old 04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Cornduster

Well this could go on for ever and ever. For what ever the reason OS glow engines are not holding up, I have two more OS 46s on my work bench that have the same problem. I suppose this is the new norm. This will be my 3rd season with a good electric plane and it is going strong it looks like all electric in the future for me.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:47 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first throttleable engine that I actually flew via multi-channel R/C that was on a model that I owned was an OS Max .58 R/C that I bought new in 1969. Money was tight back then, so I had to sell that complete setup in order to buy the next setup, which included the trusty old Max .58 R/C. I now have two or three .58's that I bought a decade or so ago, just for old time sake.

It's only shortcoming as far as I was concerned was the air bleed carb, which would not remain running during the performance of an outside loop, no matter how many times that I replumbed the fuel tank or how many ways I entered the maneuver.

I have flown many OS engines over the years, but not exclusively. I also fly Sanye derivatives, Enya engines, Webra engines, Rossi engines, Super Tigre engines and on and on. Truthfully, I love them all. Each brand has its quirks.

Ed, NM2K
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed, didn't the .58 have a needle bearing supported crank?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
NM2K

Yes, it is a ball bearing equipped engine.

I am surprised that OS didn't call it a .60. My relatively new Enya 60CX, is, in fact, a .58.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a regular ball bearing supporting the crank in the rear and a needle bearing supporting the front of the crank, correct?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 PM
NM2K

I have never had one of my OS .58 engines apart. However, I also do not remember hearing anything to that effect.

Ed Cregger

I just reread your first post on this topic. I missed that you were asking about needle bearings to begin with. Doh!

I'm going to give my two latest, well castor endowed engines a good antifreeze soaking one of these days, so I'll try to pay attention and look for the needle bearing. My Fox .36X had a needle bearing, but I suppose that doesn't count...?

OEC