Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Gotta Love Them OS Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gotta Love Them OS Guys

ORIGINAL: jp1961

Sorry,,,I've read the instructions to a T (multiple times) and could never get my T.T. .75 four stroke to run without
cutting out right at takeoff, cost me two planes. SuperTiger is the same. If the carbs need to be set up differently, than why doesn't the factory set them correctly? Both are useful engines, I use them to hold two pieces of balsa while the glue dries! Model airplane engines are like car brands, some people swear by Chevrolet, while my family had nothing but problems with them,,,there is a reason why they came within a heartbeat of going belly up.

Did you read the part about break in? My TT .91 took about a gallon of fuel before it would transition.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM
TimBle

For me OS engines is not even a valid choice any longer. They've priced them selves right out of our market and only blokes with money to burn buy them.

Exmaple, the OS22GT is R4720-00 and the GT33 is R4795-00............?? Why so close together.

Equivalant DLE is R2500 for the 20 and 35RA is R3300-00.

There is no warranty on the OS from my local distributor. NONE!

The GT60 is R1100 more expensive than a DA60 of Evolution 58GX. In fact for the money I can throw in the canister for the GX58 for a litttle over R500 more than the OS engine!

The glow engines are rough;y x2 the price of their competitors and they offer no extra power or longevity. For me O.S. engine is something that used to be great and was the discerning buyers choice. 

Right now OS Engine is synonymous with greed for no extra value.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 AM
123Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jp1961

Sorry,,,I've read the instructions to a T (multiple times) and could never get my T.T. .75 four stroke to run without
cutting out right at takeoff, cost me two planes. SuperTiger is the same. If the carbs need to be set up differently, than why doesn't the factory set them correctly? Both are useful engines, I use them to hold two pieces of balsa while the glue dries! Model airplane engines are like car brands, some people swear by Chevrolet, while my family had nothing but problems with them,,,there is a reason why they came within a heartbeat of going belly up.
JP1961
Your situation can happen yes
I bought a new motor and had it cut out on takeoff and not tune , thinking it was just my poor setup , operation so forth

It was not the case

I pulled it apart

and the shaft to case clearance in the inlet area had 0.2 mm clearance ,

one hell of a mistake ,

I bored the case and got a sleeve in with .05mm clearance between the shaft and case and it tunes and runs perfect and holds its tune , , poor manufacturing

that was all it was

Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Scrubmonkey

i have only ever had 2 new engines, an os 46 ax 2 and a hobbyking inc 46. both about the same time. my opinion, go os. stright out it idles lower and transitioned better. the inc was less than 1/2 the price. it idles higher but it also transitioned a little rougher. i havent got then in similair planes though so i wont comment on how they fly. both are swining 11x6 ram props. i also have a st g51. i got it used but the carb was out. i wil attest to how well they run ONCE you get how to tune the carb. i will atest to less is more. i.e. 1/8 of a turn is a fair bit of an adjusment on the low end. i wanted to see how the club member though of super tigres. i sat there adjusting it far a bit and they said get another engine or they were well split between it being rich or lean. i went through the tuning process that i had found online for a st and it ran with a smidge of a turn on the ls to lean it and the normal tune for the high speed. then they all wondered what i had done. here is the link to the page of instrutions that i followed in oreder to tune it(http://www.lymanslack.com/Articles&Archives/st.htm)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes the OS engines run great out of the box with no break in. And in a couple of years you have the joy of buying a new one to replace the worn out OS. Or you can buy another brand, run it on the bench for an hour or so. And not have to replace it for years. Or overhaul it because the parts actually cost less than a new engine!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM
swify

The first glow engine I bought was an OS 40 FP about 25 years ago, it always ran well for me and still have itand it still runs good. I bought a Fox 40 some some years ago, it had more power than the OS 40 but was less tolerent of lean running. I snapped the connecting rod on itdue to having it leaned out too much one time. I sent it back to Fox and they repaired it for free which I thought wasoutstanding customerservice.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe and old wives tale, here in the US if you bought a new car you hope in was not made on Friday or Monday, On Friday they are in a hurry to go home , Monday not into it yet
if they had a bad weekend ,maybe it follows thru with other things too martin
Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: swify

The first glow engine I bought was an OS 40 FP about 25 years ago, it always ran well for me and still have itand it still runs good. I bought a Fox 40 some some years ago, it had more power than the OS 40 but was less tolerent of lean running. I snapped the connecting rod on itdue to having it leaned out too much one time. I sent it back to Fox and they repaired it for free which I thought wasoutstanding customerservice.

OS engines are built loose which makes them more tolerant of a lean run, but also means it has less material to loose before it is worn out. Yes Fox has great customer service. The newer Fox engines are better than OS in almost every way, except for fast breakins,including the carbs. Nobody has a carb like the newer Fox. Teflon seals, no ratchet becase the seal also acts as a friction ring. More power, more than a Rossi or even some Jetts on larger props.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

The factories run 7 days a week so this is a wives tale.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

While I don't use O.S. exclusively, I can say that I have had very dependable results and performance from them, but all of my O.S. engines are a couple years old and are all from Japan. I currently own about 20 different engines including Italian made Super Tigres, Thunder Tigers, Saito, Royal, K&B, Magnum, Asp, GMS, and Aviastar. I've flown some planes with YS, Rossi, and Fox engines, but I don't own any yet.

Of the engines I have personally owned, for performance and dependability, I put the GMS and the Aviastar at the bottom of the list. For dependability and ease of tuning, I put Magnum and O.S. at the top. For performance and power, since I don't own a YS or Rossi, I put Super Tigre and Thunder Tiger at the top.

For the money, my Magnum and Asp engines are the best value. I have a Magnum .46xls on a trainer that I bought new 4 yrs ago and I know I have put at least 15 gallons of fuel thru it teaching people to fly, it has never quit in flight. I also have a Magnum .91 Fs on my 1/4 scale Cub that was put thru hell before I got it and I've put at least a gallon a month thru it since I bought it 3 yrs ago, still going strong and starts on the first flip. If it dies tomorrow, I'm putting another Magnum on it. Haven't had my Asp engines long enough to give a verdict, but so far they're just as good as my Magnums, maybe slightly less power than an equally sized O.S. Just my annecdotal experience for what it's worth.[img][/img]
I see that Saito is not on the bottom or the top of your list. Sounds like you're neutral about Saito but would probably purchase some other engine. Do you own a Saito 1.80 by any chance?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:37 AM
bruceal

Having a few OS engines this is my expierience. I use 15% Omega and sometimes add some sig castor as well especially in the Summer. At the end of the day I run the engine dry and then remove the glow plug and fill the carb up with Marvel Mystery Oil two or three times. I put a paper towel over the plug hole and give the motor a hit with the starter. With that being said, my 46AXII that I have been using since last October sounded like the bearings were starting to go. When I took apart the motor, I could see that the liner was worn. Not peeled, just worn evenly. At $85.00 for the piston and liner and the price of the bearings, it's about $100.00 to fix. A little expensive but either I fix it or add to a collection of parts that I'll never use. The one thing I will say about OS is that they do run well. My engines are very reliable, they just don't last that long. But you have to consider that these things turn a lot of RPM's and that is the reality. I used to race 100cc Karts and my reed valve engines twisted about 17,500 RPM's. You don't get a lot of longevity there either. I guess if you want to play with these things there is a price to pay. If I found another brand that was cheaper that perfomed as well I would give them a try. I like Supertigre but I don't like the needle so close to the prop. If they angled it back they would have a winner.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 AM
bchapman

My OS 46 AX I bought last year is stamped "Made in Japan." Best engine I've ever owned.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Windwalker

I don't understand why when someone asks any questions about an engine there's always a slew of responses shoving an OS down their throat. Don't get me wrong, I like OS engines but not everyone wants to spend $200-$300 on a 60 size sport engine. Fact is, lots of times the people asking the Q's see what OS cost and decide to look elsewhere.
So how about just answering the actual question they ask if you have any useful information that might help them?
Again, I've got lots of OS engines and I think they're great, but the BEST engine choice is the one that does everything you want within your budget

Rant Off
Windwalker's rant isn't really about O.S. Max engines at all. Are O.S. Max engines great? Yes they are. Are O.S. Max engines overpriced? Not necessarily.

What Windwalker is talking about is the legion of pilots out there who jump on any pilot who asks for engine advice or tuning help and gets barraged with "Dude! You should junk that and get an O.S.!!!" responses.

I often joke that there are two kinds of glow pilots; there are pilots who only fly O.S. engines, and then there are glow pilots who actually know how to set up and tune a glow engine. Too many pilots only know how to setup an O.S. Max glow engine. They put an A3 glow plug and 15% nitro fuel into their Super Tigre or MDS engine that they decided to try, and they couldn't make it run reliably with the wrong prop, the wrong fuel, and the wrong glow plug. This leads them to conclude that all other engines are junk.

If you only know how to set up and tune O.S. Max glow engines, then don't feel compelled to offer advice to someone trying to dial in their Super Tigre GS-45 or their Evolution NX .60 with a Macs muffler. Especially don't try to offer advice if your suggestion is, "Dude! You should junk that and get an O.S.!!!"

It's nice that you like O.S. Max engines, and we thank you for sharing. If running an O.S. Max engine were always the answer to every problem, however, we would have achieved world peace decades ago...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

IAM WITH YOU
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i live on 2400.00 a month but ill still buy a os engine people schould not run down any hobbies
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
kochj

Funny....
Not sure what the original posters question was?

You are wondering why people tell you that the reason
Your engine will not wk is because you do not have a OS engine?

I have had years of experience with gas and glow engines.
If you are talking about RC car engines, any glow engine no matter the brand will go for a max of 8 gal before a rebuild.
RC plane engines go longer.

My concern when flying RC planes and cars is ONE thing only;
Does it run reliably when you go out to use it?
OS has Always delivered the right answer to this question! Specifically the Glow line.
Unfortunately, some others have not.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with the O.P.

O.S. was terrific when the smaller (
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

While I don't use O.S. exclusively, I can say that I have had very dependable results and performance from them, but all of my O.S. engines are a couple years old and are all from Japan. I currently own about 20 different engines including Italian made Super Tigres, Thunder Tigers, Saito, Royal, K&B, Magnum, Asp, GMS, and Aviastar. I've flown some planes with YS, Rossi, and Fox engines, but I don't own any yet.

Of the engines I have personally owned, for performance and dependability, I put the GMS and the Aviastar at the bottom of the list. For dependability and ease of tuning, I put Magnum and O.S. at the top. For performance and power, since I don't own a YS or Rossi, I put Super Tigre and Thunder Tiger at the top.

For the money, my Magnum and Asp engines are the best value. I have a Magnum .46xls on a trainer that I bought new 4 yrs ago and I know I have put at least 15 gallons of fuel thru it teaching people to fly, it has never quit in flight. I also have a Magnum .91 Fs on my 1/4 scale Cub that was put thru hell before I got it and I've put at least a gallon a month thru it since I bought it 3 yrs ago, still going strong and starts on the first flip. If it dies tomorrow, I'm putting another Magnum on it. Haven't had my Asp engines long enough to give a verdict, but so far they're just as good as my Magnums, maybe slightly less power than an equally sized O.S. Just my annecdotal experience for what it's worth.[img][/img]
I see that Saito is not on the bottom or the top of your list. Sounds like you're neutral about Saito but would probably purchase some other engine. Do you own a Saito 1.80 by any chance?

Nope, don't have a 1.80, I have an .82 saito that is on a .60 sized Kangke T-34 and a 1.50 saito that is waiting for another airframe, was on a Giles 202 that I sold. I've had a few problems keeping the mufflers together on them, other than that I really have no complaints about Saito except for the price. Right now, for the money, my Magnums are a better value. But if the Magnum ends up only lasting 5 years and the Saito lasts 10, I might have a different view.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry- did you try a few wraps of teflon tape on the manifold threads and mufflers on your Saitos? I've not had muffler problems, but the virgin teflon tape seems to be the fix.

I did like the OS .50SX engines. Good power for the size. I never heard of peeling liners in them.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Well said! Iagree with all of it. Except maybemabe OS engines are not that great, though better than average.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

RC plane engines go longer.
Some by quite a lot. Duke Fox hooked one of his engines to a 55 gallon drum of fuel and ran several drums of fuel through it. It ran for thousands of hours and it was still not worn out. He just got tired of paying for drums of fuel to run through it.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have never stuck my hand or fingers into the prop arc while adjusting needle valves located very close to the spinning propeller; it simply pushes back in tractor configurations...
Ihave, scares the hell out of you, hurts a bit, but doesn't cut your finger. So what was that about safety?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
hugger-4641

Hurts a little more if the engine started backwards and you didn't realize it.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

Hurts a little more if the engine started backwards and you didn't realize it.

Wouldn't you notice before you started needling it? Or maybe when you notice it's hard to needle.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
hugger-4641

I was actually reaching to remove the glow starter while talking to someone, and it happened to be a little loose and leaning close to the prop. No injury, but hurt like hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.