Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

A jug of 15% glow around here is pushing 40 dollars
Why you would do that when you can mix for less than 10 bucks is a mystery to me. And I don't understand why $20 bucks a battery is cheap when you have to replace every few months. And if you don't have a bunch of batteries you have to stand around and wait for your plane to charge. And if you have a bunch of planes you have a bunch of chargers and or leads at the field. Not to mention burning up your model with your batteries. I have burned two models with batteries, one with a reciever battery.

It is a lot simpler to simply fill and go.

So I will never be inclined to go electric.
Not to mention houses and cars burned down along with the LiPos. I limit my electrics to parflyers, cheap and simple. 40-90 in glow, and above are gas. Although gas is getting small and practical down to the 40 size now.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

As I said before Iskandar, if you mix your own it will likely be cheaper than when you were here. Especially nitro. But mixed fuels have gone up due to low demand and higher hasmat fees.
True, but it would still have been cheaper out of the back of the Fox van. Wonder if the Fox van still goes to the Nats, John Lowry has, I think, retired from Fox. Don't know if Betty's still with us, either. When Duke was alive he'd sell stuff out of the back of a Rolls - only met him once. Combat (and other) engines could be had for half price - except for the Mark VII - those never went to retail stores anyway. Glow plugs too - I'd stock up on those. Std. Longs were a buck apiece, Miracles went for a buck fifty.

Iskandar
Iskandar, Duke Fox's stepson Ralph still keeps up the Rolls. I had a ride in it a few months ago when Ralph and I went to buy a few cases of wine! Ralph's wife Tricia runs Fox Mfg. and they still maintain the old family home back in Fort Smith, AR.

Bruce

Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the ST line doesn't go away. I have had great luck with everyone I have run. I will run glow, and gas. I WILL QUIT RC BEFORE GOING ELECTRIC! Electric rc's sound bad to me, they are not any less expensive in the size planes I fly, and I have seen quite a few failures especially in some hi buck twins. No advantage to them for me.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:06 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: landeck

As I said before Iskandar, if you mix your own it will likely be cheaper than when you were here. Especially nitro. But mixed fuels have gone up due to low demand and higher hasmat fees.
True, but it would still have been cheaper out of the back of the Fox van. Wonder if the Fox van still goes to the Nats, John Lowry has, I think, retired from Fox. Don't know if Betty's still with us, either. When Duke was alive he'd sell stuff out of the back of a Rolls - only met him once. Combat (and other) engines could be had for half price - except for the Mark VII - those never went to retail stores anyway. Glow plugs too - I'd stock up on those. Std. Longs were a buck apiece, Miracles went for a buck fifty.

Iskandar
Iskandar, Duke Fox's stepson Ralph still keeps up the Rolls. I had a ride in it a few months ago when Ralph and I went to buy a few cases of wine! Ralph's wife Tricia runs Fox Mfg. and they still maintain the old family home back in Fort Smith, AR.

Bruce

Oh, so you went to buy wine instead of glow fuel?[X(]
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Sport_Pilot

Although gas is getting small and practical down to the 40 size now.
Yes I considered the Magnum and Fox 50 sized gasser a year or two ago. But then I figued out there may not be room for the ignition module which was no smaller than the larger gasser module.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM
hsukaria

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Although gas is getting small and practical down to the 40 size now.
Yes I considered the Magnum and Fox 50 sized gasser a year or two ago. But then I figued out there may not be room for the ignition module which was no smaller than the larger gasser module.

[/quote
True, but I have read and seen videos of the new NV Engines (Norvel) 40 that runs gas without ignition module, just a hot turbo glowplug. Claimed to run great, but needs about 14% castor oil in the fuel mix. If that works out, it will for sure wipe out glow engines.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

As Isaid before Iskandar, if you mix your own it will likely be cheaper than when you were here. Especially nitro. But mixed fuels have gone up due to low demand and higher hasmat fees.

Iskandar

Bruce

Well at least he is not trying to give away wine on these threads!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
hsukaria

Iskandar

Bruce

Well at least he is not trying to give away wine on these threads! [img][/img]
I will accept free wine or free glow fuel, both are good.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Iskandar

Bruce

They will throw a couple of cases of glow fuel in the trunk of their car when returning from a trip out to Fort Smith. This saves me the shipping and haz mat fees but I still pay for the fuel! Tricia is too sharp to let that get by.

Bruce
Old 04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

As Isaid before Iskandar, if you mix your own it will likely be cheaper than when you were here. Especially nitro. But mixed fuels have gone up due to low demand and higher hasmat fees.

Iskandar

Bruce

Well at least he is not trying to give away wine on these threads! [img][/img]
I will accept free wine or free glow fuel, both are good.
I mean't to say whine, not wine.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
hsukaria

Iskandar

Bruce

They will throw a couple of cases of glow fuel in the trunk of their car when returning from a trip out to Fort Smith. This saves me the shipping and haz mat fees but I still pay for the fuel! Tricia is too sharp to let that get by.

Bruce
Business is business!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:38 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Good Deal! Less of a hassle on the flight line as an Instructor with new students' and engines that are troubling to tune.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:20 PM
downunder

..when ST was sold off it was doomed to never have a new ST design.
ST was never sold off. When the Italian labour costs rose too high it was decided to move the entire operation to China. Remember the time when ST's weren't available at all for about 2 years (IIRC in the late 90's)? That was when the factory was being moved and the Italian engineers went to China to supervise installing the machinery and began training the Chinese workers. So ST is still owned by the Italians, just not made in Italy anymore.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: downunder

..when ST was sold off it was doomed to never have a new ST design.
ST was never sold off. When the Italian labour costs rose too high it was decided to move the entire operation to China. Remember the time when ST's weren't available at all for about 2 years (IIRC in the late 90's)? That was when the factory was being moved and the Italian engineers went to China to supervise installing the machinery and began training the Chinese workers. So ST is still owned by the Italians, just not made in Italy anymore.

Your statement of ownership is correct. As to new ST models. The company is run by the founders son the original owner/father was the innovator and developer of all of those great engines that we are also willing to overpay to possess again. I don't think that there will ever be another totally new ST engine given the current decline in glow acceptance and the lack of any innovative force at super Tigre at this time.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dennis
Your statement of ownership is correct. As to new ST models. The company is run by the founders son the original owner/father was the innovator and developer of all of those great engines that we are also willing to overpay to possess again. I don't think that there will ever be another totally new ST engine given the current decline in glow acceptance and the lack of any innovative force at super Tigre at this time.
If they are developing new engines, I'll betcha they (and every one else!!) is working on a glow-gasser. Maybe even a line of glow-gassers.

Iskandar
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: dennis
If they are developing new engines, I'll betcha they (and every one else!!) is working on a glow-gasser. Maybe even a line of glow-gassers.

Iskandar

You are right, companies that develop new models, and new technologies will stay with us, while companies that are just making copies of old designs most likely will disappear with time (ST being one). I think 2 things will happen (are happening) as a result a) prices will go up, b) you will have less vendors.

I think there will always be a niche market for slimers. some people fly "U" control, and FF, and rubber power. Of course, their market has shrunk, and I am sure they are not growing ever again. But they are hanging in, same thing will happen with glow.

I got out of glow 8 years ago, and while I do not think I will ever go back (I have gas and big electrics), I kept my electric starter in case, at some point, I feel like messing with nitro again. So far, never felt the need:-)

Gerry
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM
raptureboy

"And the good old days weren't always good; and tomorrow is not as bad as it seems" Why do these threads always disintegrate into slamming electric power, and arfs, and then baselessspeculation about why something is no longer available and how the hobby will never be the same...blah,blah, blah. Electric is what brought me back into the hobby and arfs allowed me to fly whileI built other planes and when something no longer sells well then manufacturers quit making it. Why don't we just enjoy all the hobby has to offer regardless of our own preferences? It is infinitely better than when Istarted 45 yrs ago. Hey, why not call Tower and ask them if they are going to sell ST engines anymore? No shortage of glow engines either just go to a swap meet, thats where you will find the real supre tigres that were made in Italy.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 AM
raptureboy

double post
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM
thepamster

I seriously doubt the dumping of S.T. engines as there are too many people like me that want an affordfable, reliable, and powerful engine such as a Super Tiger.
If it dosn't burn fuel, combust, make noise,  and have an exhaust, then I don't want it. Engines are at least half the fun for me in this hobby.
Glow fuel prices must be a regional thing as I pay 15.00 a gallon  for 10% Wild Cat fuel at my LHS. That is only a couple dollars more than I paid for Ritches Brew 20 years ago.
I wish everything was only a couple dollars more today than it was 20 years ago then I could afford more planes today. Lol.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: thepamster

I seriously doubt the dumping of S.T. engines as there are too many people like me that want an affordfable, reliable, and powerful engine such as a Super Tiger.
If it dosn't burn fuel, combust, make noise, and have an exhaust, then I don't want it. Engines are at least half the fun for me in this hobby.
Glow fuel prices must be a regional thing as I pay 15.00 a gallon for 10% Wild Cat fuel at my LHS. That is only a couple dollars more than I paid for Ritches Brew 20 years ago.
I wish everything was only a couple dollars more today than it was 20 years ago then I could afford more planes today. Lol.

This hobby is all about doing what we find the most fun. I am sure there are enough people like yourself to keep a couple of manufacturers running... No doubt. We had an old member that used to come out to the field with a foldable work bench, move to an end of the field and just tinker with his engines. Why not? He got a kick of cleaning and fixing those things. (I never saw him fly).

What you describe are basically internal combustion power plant features: they burn fuel, makes noise, and have an exhaust. You can do that also with a gasser now (well, in some sizes)...

That is the nice thing of this hobby, we have choices. A lot of choices. The sky is not falling...

Gerry
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM
thepamster

Yeah, I actually prefer gassers as I like bigger planes. I am not one of those people though that stays in the pits continuously running my engines at full throttle adjusting them and annoying everybody. Gas engines rarely need adjusting after initial tune, just fuel and fly. I like that.
I also don't like the mess that glow engines create but still operate one, ST.45, which is why I commented on this thread.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gas engines rarely need adjusting after initial tune, just fuel and fly.
That doesn't seem to be the case with my small lawn equipment, and not with a few people at the flying field.

They should be more stable with regulators, but any IC engine that does not have some mixture compensation will run leaner on cold days VS hot days.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
thepamster

Gas engines rarely need adjusting after initial tune, just fuel and fly.
That doesn't seem to be the case with my small lawn equipment, and not with a few people at the flying field.

They should be more stable with regulators, but any IC engine that does not have some mixture compensation will run leaner on cold days VS hot days.
Perhaps you need better lawn equipment as well as the few people at your field.
I will admit that Sunday I had to richen 1/16 my hi end on my G38 as it sounded slightly lean. First time I have touched that in probaby well over a year. I did just replumb my tank and replaced my inline fuel filter. Probably not related. Not that big of a deal though as the time on that adjustment took less than 2 seconds.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

A properly setup glow engine has proven to be extremely reliable for me personally. I will say that I have seen people that just can't get them to work properly, and insist on turning everything. After offering to help I have found unbelievable setups, tank placement, fuel line routing. There is no doubt as to why they wouldn't work correctly. I have always thought it took a little more to get a ST setup properly, but when done they are great!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:03 PM
hsukaria

I think some of this discussion about ST engines belongs to the thread Club Super Tigre. Anyway, once people begin to understand the ST carb, they will be happy with them. Regardless, you will always have people that don't read the manuals, disregard the fuel tank positioning, tuning instructions, break-in procedure, etc... consequently having trouble with their engines and then conclude the glow is a pain and use the slime from the exhaust as another excuse to go electric. How hard is it to spray some cleaner and wipe it off with some paper towels? If your wife hasn't taught you to clean up after yourself yet, it's about time!!!!

ST engines might take a little more work to break-in and tune initially compared to OS, but not more than the average engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.