Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:14 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

A while back I mentioned an engine make and model that I was absolutely in love with - immediately the eBay price skyrocketed and remained high for several years. With the understanding that it could happen again, I'm going to let go of the name of the most impressive class of engine that I have ever seen and it is a Super Tigre, but it is an old Super Tigre. From the seventies or so. Up front I'm going to tell you that it an R/C version of a control line combat engine. This thing eats R/C .40 size engines for lunch and it has one of the easiest to adjust R/C carbs in the world - before ST cheapened and ruined their carbs. It is the ST G21/35 RC. Put it on any model that flies well with an average .40 to .50 R/C engine and be amazed.
So they don't break cranks in that application? Listening to stories of what Combat was like in the 1970s is quite entertaining, quite a few have to do with how strong G21/35s ran until... and the cranks were hard to get. They were really pushing those things hard, too - wide open venturi, bladder tanks, nitro...

Wonder if anyone's tried putting a carb on a Nelson .36 other than the CL Carrier people. Probably scare the daylights out of everyone at the field.

Iskandar
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Hobbico dumping Super Tigre glow engines?

ORIGINAL: dennis

ST 51 engines have been made continuously from the 60's up. There have been slight variations in dimensions over the years but they have been model number specific. There were so many changes made to ST engines over the years from one run to the next that it is difficult to keep up with the parts.
Supposedly the only engines that ever had tolerances tight enough that you could pick a random cylinder and a random piston out of the bins and get a perfect fit every time was Cox. That was one of their secrets for producing millions of engines while keeping costs down, staying in the CL plastic RTF toy business long after their competitors gave up. For every other engine, inlcuding Nelsons, you had to hand-match pistons and liners (Henry does/did that himself, employees handled other tasks). One "speed trick" racers used was to buy several examples of an engine, then pick and choose the parts that fit the best. So I'n not surprised at all if Chinese pistons and piston rings aren't an exact fit for Italian liners that were made years previously, even if the exact same equipment was used.

Iskandar