Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow head brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Always hate to give up. I remember the collets now that you mention it. Will kick the tires and see if any thing else comes up.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a carb issue. Either that a closer look at the carb or swap it with another one to see if that will get the ST75 running.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I will tell you now the needle valve isn't going to be an issue even if it leaks. If it does leak (my S29 with wire needle and collet leaks like a sieve even with the collet super snug) it will leak fuel out not air in. If an engine won't start and has good compression I'd be looking at how the transfers are popping open. If there is excessive leakage around the ring or front bearing you may have weak transfer flow. This wouldn't be the issue if the engine ran fine earlier in the day then all of the sudden starts running poorly or not at all. I suggest ensuring the backplate is sealed well whether with RTV silicone or a paper gasket. Then ensure (stupid to say but it's the process of elimination) the carb is sealed to the crankcase properly. Now pull the head off and rotate the engine over in normal rotation with your face right over the cylinder and note the "breeze" that comes from the transfer ports opening. I'm gonna guess it should be popping open good and it might be a fluke as to the engine not running.

What fuel, plug, prop, and fuel tank setup are you using?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 PM
oil_can_harry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in !! Nothing better than the sound of a glow engine screaming 12" above the runway. I currently have 15 planes ready to fly all2 stroke glow engines and an inventory of over 25 mostly new and used engines. Everything from supertigre's , os, gms, enya, magnum, evolution, and more. Sizes from .28 up thru 1.4. Hats would be cool !!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
stevegauth30

sorry guys, you'll all get numbers as soon as I get home
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM
lasers200

I have all YS. I am in.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:00 PM
thatairplaneguy
My Feedback: (50)

I guess I'm in. I started with electric in nimh days but went nitro as soon as I could afford it when I was about 12. Last year I wanted to give glow up for the usual reasons, noise, mess,tuning, parts and instalation then somehow I've collected more glow engines sense I desided I'd go electric/gas only and remembered those reasons are why I like glow.

Ive had every size from .020 to 1.80 2 and 4 stroke and every brand I can think of.

Right now now ive got

OS is my favorite but I've had them all, all cheap POS and all the good ones.

I like OS 2 strokes best and ThunderTiger 4 strokes best but either stroke of either brand is great.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the purpose of a brotherhood?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:07 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sign me up - been buying R/C engines since 1964, and have sold a half dozen .049's, have about 40 engines including several NIB's from 70's. Not a collector, every engine had a plane in mind. Mostly Enya, ST, and OS. Maybe this thread will prod me into making a good list.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
What is the purpose of a brotherhood?
Because the gas/EI guys were picking on us.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Glow is the only way for my planes. I have glowfuel in my vanes. My three bombers are glow powered. OS .15CV's. Thanks to all the Leckies OS discontinued these engines. They are mine and they run like clockwork. The Brotherhood does not exist without me! All of my future planes have to be glow powered too. I have glow engines over 30 years old that run perfect. GLOW not electric. GLOW not gas. I use glow fuel as hand lotion. I cherish the smell! The taste! Glow engines are the answer, the best, the end all! If you dont use glow you are not good enough for it! The young RC texting generation is lost without glow, You can't handle it!
Repent now and buy a glow engine and learn to run it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1961377  
Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Quikturn
Sounds like a carb issue. Either that a closer look at the carb or swap it with another one to see if that will get the ST75 running.
already tried a different carb
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

[QUOTE=1QwkSport2.5r;11718506]I will tell you now the needle valve isn't going to be an issue even if it leaks. If it does leak (my S29 with wire needle and collet leaks like a sieve even with the collet super snug) it will leak fuel out not air in. If an engine won't start and has good compression I'd be looking at how the transfers are popping open. If there is excessive leakage around the ring or front bearing you may have weak transfer flow. This wouldn't be the issue if the engine ran fine earlier in the day then all of the sudden starts running poorly or not at all. I suggest ensuring the backplate is sealed well whether with RTV silicone or a paper gasket. Then ensure (stupid to say but it's the process of elimination) the carb is sealed to the crankcase properly. Now pull the head off and rotate the engine over in normal rotation with your face right over the cylinder and note the "breeze" that comes from the transfer ports opening. I'm gonna guess it should be popping open good and it might be a fluke as to the engine not running.

Actually, my first thought was a loose backplate. But it was tight, as was the head. Both have been replaced, new gasket on the backplate, the head doesn't have a gasket. The carb has been reset. No leaks anywhere.

Compression is good, I checked the ring and liner for marks, scoring, etc , none.

I didn't specifically check the transfer ports, but know they are open

Fuel is Byron, 15% Nitro, 20% oil mix...only stuff I will use

plug: normally a fox miracle plug. ran on it for years, and for 3 flights the day it died. Was replaced with OS 8 & F, K&B LONG, Tower 8, and anything else I had.. Makes no difference.

Fuel tank and lines, including muffler pressure were replaced in the plane, and a different set when i put it on the stand. No difference.

I normally hand start all my engines. I have tried a sullivan starter with no help and several types of glow drivers.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM
stevegauth30

Wow, I can't believe were up to 25 members just since last night. And they say glow is dying. Yeah right. This is living proof. I updated the list at the top of page 1. If I spelled your name wrong, send me a pm and I'll fix it. Does anyone know how other brotherhoods do it where they have the roster every couple of pages without having to retype it every time from the beginning? I know there's a way. So, I've been searching all over the hobby shops in Ct for FAI fuel for the ST G3250 with no luck and I didn't want to have to pay the outrageous HAZMAT fee to order it. Today I stopped at a little hole in the wall shop and low and behold, he has two cases of Byron's Aero FAI fuel at only $75 a case. Imagine that. Now I just need to build a bigger test stand and I can finally run it in. Yippee! I can't wait to fire that big ol beast up. Anyone have one of these?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by scale dail
Glow is the only way for my planes. I have glowfuel in my vanes. My three bombers are glow powered. OS .15CV's. Thanks to all the Leckies OS discontinued these engines. They are mine and they run like clockwork. The Brotherhood does not exist without me! All of my future planes have to be glow powered too. I have glow engines over 30 years old that run perfect. GLOW not electric. GLOW not gas. I use glow fuel as hand lotion. I cherish the smell! The taste! Glow engines are the answer, the best, the end all! If you dont use glow you are not good enough for it! The young RC texting generation is lost without glow, You can't handle it!
Repent now and buy a glow engine and learn to run it!

I think you should be glow head #1. Lol that's a lot of glowin. Btw, your brother #26 welcome everyone
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
stevegauth30

Damn guys. Anyone else see that were #1 on the rcu heart beat? That's gotta say something about glow and how many guys still love em.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fell in love with glow engines when I was about 14 years old and took apart my first Cox .049. I was amazed that such a simple little machine could produce so much power.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:33 PM
jeffie8696

Guilty, mine was a Testors .049 about 1979, I blame my Dad.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:56 PM
stevegauth30

Well, I have to admit, I've only been flying for about 10 years,( I'm only 38) but I also took apart my first engine, a k&b 61, and couldn't believe how much there wasn't to it. Man that low speed needle gave me a hard time.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

[QUOTE=Steve Percifield;11718609]
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I will tell you now the needle valve isn't going to be an issue even if it leaks. If it does leak (my S29 with wire needle and collet leaks like a sieve even with the collet super snug) it will leak fuel out not air in. If an engine won't start and has good compression I'd be looking at how the transfers are popping open. If there is excessive leakage around the ring or front bearing you may have weak transfer flow. This wouldn't be the issue if the engine ran fine earlier in the day then all of the sudden starts running poorly or not at all. I suggest ensuring the backplate is sealed well whether with RTV silicone or a paper gasket. Then ensure (stupid to say but it's the process of elimination) the carb is sealed to the crankcase properly. Now pull the head off and rotate the engine over in normal rotation with your face right over the cylinder and note the "breeze" that comes from the transfer ports opening. I'm gonna guess it should be popping open good and it might be a fluke as to the engine not running.

Actually, my first thought was a loose backplate. But it was tight, as was the head. Both have been replaced, new gasket on the backplate, the head doesn't have a gasket. The carb has been reset. No leaks anywhere.

Compression is good, I checked the ring and liner for marks, scoring, etc , none.

I didn't specifically check the transfer ports, but know they are open

Fuel is Byron, 15% Nitro, 20% oil mix...only stuff I will use

plug: normally a fox miracle plug. ran on it for years, and for 3 flights the day it died. Was replaced with OS 8 & F, K&B LONG, Tower 8, and anything else I had.. Makes no difference.

Fuel tank and lines, including muffler pressure were replaced in the plane, and a different set when i put it on the stand. No difference.

I normally hand start all my engines. I have tried a sullivan starter with no help and several types of glow drivers.
I didn't suggest the transfer ports are blocked. What I was suggesting is checking to make sure the crankcase is pressurizing to force the air fuel mixture up into the cylinder. If there is a weak seal at the front bearing or at the piston you will have weak gas passage when the piston opens the transfer ports. Something is faulty as it ran fine for 3 fights and the 4th it wouldn't start. Moving engine to test stand and still not getting a running engine with all the variables you changed tells me something is wrong with the engine. I suspect an air leak in the crankcase.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM
NCRC
My Feedback: (32)

Count me in!!!!! Got a few rangeing from .40 / 2.10 some new some used. Love the smell and the sound. I do have a few electrics, but thats not my passion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	1961433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1961434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1961435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1961436  
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
stevegauth30

NCRC, your #27. Welcome. Man I wish my spot was that clean and organized.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM
oil_can_harry

I had a supertigre and a evolution do me the same way. Started and run fine first couple of flights. Then would fire and die, choke it good, fire and die. On the evolution, the fuel tubing coming from the remote needle valve split on the fuel nozzle on the carb on the bottom side. Took me forever to figure it out. On the supertigre, for some unknown reason the the fuel nozzle cracked at the carb. I guess it had a flaw in it and when I refueled for another flight, I guess I made it worse. Both engines would try to start. But die due to sucking air. When you pulled the glow plug out, was it wet ?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
coachdavis10

Sign me up, I belong here for sure
Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM
oil_can_harry

Oh wow !!!! Ups just dropped off 8 gallons of Torco 15% fuel. Can fly all weekend with weather permitting !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.