Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Securing muffler to 4-stroke engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:48 PM
jlrskymaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Securing muffler to 4-stroke engine

I have an OS .95 4 stroke with an "in the cowl" muffler adapter. The engine, muffler, and adapter are all mfg. by OS. The joints are engine to adapter and adapter to muffler. Both joints have the "tightening sleeve" that screws down tight to hold it all in place.

But, no matter what, it keeps coming loose and rattling around inside the cowl.

What can I use to positively secure it but still be able to remove or adjust when desired. I've tried "blue" silicon gasket sealer; still works loose.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I've had the best luck with wrapping the threads in Teflon tape. Then run the engine to temp and re tighten. Some times the cowl wont let you do the re tighten but it helps if you can. The Teflon tape seams to take the slack out of the threads.

David
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be you are running your engine too hot? Muffler nuts/bolts coming loose is one of the symptoms of too hot an engine
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a tip. With the cowl off, run the engine long enough to thoroughly heat up the muffler. Then torque the jam nuts against the muffler and head or any intervening adapter. Be sure to do it when the exhaust assembly is hot. When it cools off it will be much tighter. Basically torqueing while at room temperature or cooler, is allowing the assembly become loose when it gets hot. By doing tightening while hot gets you past that element. Never had a problem with the muffler coming loose again.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:56 AM
jlrskymaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been away for a while, but today, I will try running first then re-torqueing.
Thanks for the tips.