Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

46 FX quitting on nose up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 04:29 AM
Mayur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46 FX quitting on nose up.

Hi,

I have a 46 FX on my new funfly. The engine quits on nose up after 8-10 secs. I have also tried on 40-50% power, still the same..Tried running the engine rich...cant figure out whats wrong..otherwise the engine performs well on st & level flight..

I am running a 12.25x3.75 APC prop, brand new OS # 8 plug, du-bro tank & new fuel tubing.. Also the engine was thoroughly cleaned before I installed it on the funfly..

What could be wrong ? Please help!

Mayur
Old 05-09-2002, 06:42 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default FX

I think the first thing I would watch for is bubbles in the fuel line when running straight up, If you are turely richening it up enough and it is still leaning out I would say its a tank problem and you have a leak where the Clunk line attaches to the stopper .
Old 05-09-2002, 08:45 AM
DESERT RATT

MAYUR,

You didn't say how far from the engine the tank is? It may be too far and can't pull the fuel, or how is the outlet center of the tank line in relationship to the inlet of the carb?
It's weird! I've had some engines that just wouldn't run in a certain plane, and instead of fighting with them I've tried another engine and had it work???? OR I've had to go to a "PUMP" like a PERRY unit.
Just because you put new fuel lines in it doesn't mean you can't have a fuel delivery problem, Like a pinched line,pin hole in a line, OR another possibility is the fuel line in the tank has bent toward the front of the tank and for some reason it's not straightening out it's full length again to suck from the bottom while vertical..

These are past problems i've had! Hope one helps...

RON in NEVADA
Old 05-09-2002, 09:10 AM
Mayur

Dave, Ron
Thanks for the response. The tank is actually a little away from the engine (its inside the wing) unlike normal funflys. So I cant really check if the clunk is ok or not unless I open the tank out. will do it now. I will check the exact location of the tank with resp to the carb and let you know...
Mayur
Old 05-09-2002, 02:42 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Mayur,

We had a guy who's plane would do this same thing, and it was because his tank was sliding backwards with the plane nose up. As the tank slid back the pressure line would get kinked. (or maybe both lines).

Don't know if you've thought of that, but be sure your tank is secure.

Mike
Old 05-09-2002, 07:24 PM
DESERT RATT

MAYUR,,,

DON'T OPEN IT UNTIL YOU TRY THIS!!!

pick up the plane and with the tail towards the ground shake it SLIGHTLY and listen to see if you can hear the clunk in the fuel tank.. If it hasn't doubled back on you , you will hear it CLUNKING ( yes punn intended) from side to side. this will tell you it's free inside the tank. "usually" it only double backs in a hard landing or crash. but i've seen weirder things. How about the length of the line inside of the tank? is it long enough to reach the bottom? this shouldn't really matter unless you're trying to go vertical when you're low on fuel. Also check you're pressure inlet line from the muffler to be sure there is no restrictions or kinks..you need that pressure to help push the fuel while vertical, if this turns out to be all "well" then install a 1 ounce header tank behind the engine( HELI GUYS RUN THESE RELIGIOUSLY) or go to a PUMP.

RON
Old 05-10-2002, 04:56 AM
Mayur

Default problem solved!!

the problem is solved! Last night I opend up the tank...Ron, uve hit the nail on the head!! the clunk got double backed & got stuck there..fixed the clunk right & voila!
its purrrfecct now!
thanks guys
Mayur
Old 05-10-2002, 09:35 AM
DESERT RATT

MAYUR,

YEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!!

I love it when a plan comes together,,,, ( and this one made me look good) hehehehehehe, every once in a while!

seriously I'm just glad to hear that you're going to be back in the air going stronger then ever.. FLY high PLAYhard LIVE LONG AND PROSPER. Now if you were here i'd make ya teach me to hover......

RON