Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Webra 10cc(60) black head

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 12:32 AM
rctimm99
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Webra 10cc(60) black head

Anyone know this motor? I just picked it up NIB. I was wondering if it is known for tourqe or RPMs... Would this work well as a screemer like a sport pattern like 60 sized plane or should I stick with the 61 FX?

thank you!
Tim
Old 05-15-2002, 02:27 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look inside the exhaust port at the top of the piston. If there is a metal ridge cast into the top of the piston, put it back in the box and sell it to an engine collector.

It was a wonderful engine during the late sixties and early seventies, but it is not in the same power league as today's OS FX engines.

BUT - if the top of the piston is flat, without a ridge, it will scream along with the best of them. Be sure to use the engine with a tuned pipe - IF - the piston's top is flat. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:44 AM
rctimm99

has the ridge. Bummer. I paid 40 bucks for it. Thanks for the info!!!
Tim
Old 05-15-2002, 06:54 AM
DerFly

Default The "Blackhead"

No Bummer! The engine you now proudly own is the legendary "Blackhead" produced almost unchanged from 1967-1999 (over 30 years!) in Berlin before all production was moved to Austria. Designed by the indomitable Bodemann who was also famous for the Mach 1, the Blackhead featured a needle raced top end and used the famous Webra TN carburettor, from which all present TN carburettors of almost all manufacturers are copied from.

As noted above, the Blackhead is not a screamer, produces about 1.4 hp at 14,000 r.p.m., will last forever given proper treatment. Best suited as a workhorse today, they were "the" pattern engine of the early seventies, idle is like a Swiss watch and they are cheap to run, needing only 2-5% nitro.

About the only thing they don't like is fuel with too little oil (25% for run in and 18% after, according to the manufacturer) and they don't really respond well to a tuned pipe. Mufflers from K&B and HB are interchangeable.

So don't let this German classic moulder away in a box, build something of the era for it and put it to use.

Inverted flypast with an Aeromaster Bipe, with castor oil trail..... pure nostalgia!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11200_5585.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	7527  
Old 05-24-2002, 03:01 AM
rctimm99

COOL!
I just bought some castor to jump the oil up for break in. I am going to put this bad boy in a F4U war bird, with a triprop. I was this may make a very nice repacment for a .40

Thanks for the tips! Hey, that pic is my engine!!!

Tim